Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,590 members, 7,816,455 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:29 AM

Advice Needed Between Bmw 3.0i V Volvo Xc90 V Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice Needed Between Bmw 3.0i V Volvo Xc90 V Toyota Highlander Hybrid (1918 Views)

Benz AMG V. Toyota Corolla Speed. / Your Advice Is Needed between Honda Civic and city / Would You Buy This Beautifully Restored 1972 BMW 3.0 CSL For N35.7m? (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed Between Bmw 3.0i V Volvo Xc90 V Toyota Highlander Hybrid by mmrius(m): 8:59pm On Mar 05, 2017
Hello Everyone,

Please I need your advice regarding buying the best SUV using the following as a yardstick:

i. FUEL EFFICIENT
ii. SPARE PARTS AVAILABILITY
iii. SPARE PARTS AFFORDABILITY

I tend to travel alot from Lagos to other states for business purpose. The SUV's on my list are:

1. 2007 BMW X5 3.0i (Most preferred)
2. 2007/2009 VOLVO XC90 (Second preferred)
3. 2008/2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid (Least preferred)

Thanks for your professional advice.

P.S.

BJ if you are reading this, please kindly send me the VIN report for the 2003 Acura MDX I bought from you for my wife since January.

I will be most grateful if anyone else can help with the VIN report.

VIN number > 2HNYD18613H003456
Re: Advice Needed Between Bmw 3.0i V Volvo Xc90 V Toyota Highlander Hybrid by diportivo: 9:47pm On Mar 05, 2017
I will go with the XC90

Affordability and availability of genuine parts are my reasons

Reasonable technicians abound in daleko too
Re: Advice Needed Between Bmw 3.0i V Volvo Xc90 V Toyota Highlander Hybrid by mmrius(m): 10:02pm On Mar 05, 2017
diportivo:
I will go with the XC90

Affordability and availability of genuine parts are my reasons

Reasonable technicians abound in daleko too

Thanks for the input. I intend to buy it for my wife due to its safety features. The Acura MDX seems not to be very fuel efficient. I will feel more comfortable knowing my wife and kids are in a Volvo XC90. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed Between Bmw 3.0i V Volvo Xc90 V Toyota Highlander Hybrid by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:56pm On Mar 05, 2017
none
Re: Advice Needed Between Bmw 3.0i V Volvo Xc90 V Toyota Highlander Hybrid by Okuda(m): 12:27am On Mar 06, 2017
i would jump on xc90 without thinking twice.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed Between Bmw 3.0i V Volvo Xc90 V Toyota Highlander Hybrid by nurey(m): 11:08am On Mar 06, 2017
if am picking the BMW it would be the one fitted with 4.4L V8, better response than the 3.0L V6. But if i travelled to other states, i would pick something common on road due to unforeseen circumstances, there are times your vehicle can breakdown not because of maintenance but road quality and other factors beyond your control.

i would prefer a toyota Prado probably V6, makes it easy to beat security operatives delay during interstate, very common and can withstand harsh Nigerian roads Not saying the rest arent also rugged
Re: Advice Needed Between Bmw 3.0i V Volvo Xc90 V Toyota Highlander Hybrid by kingreign(m): 1:42pm On Mar 06, 2017
Avoid ALL
Re: Advice Needed Between Bmw 3.0i V Volvo Xc90 V Toyota Highlander Hybrid by mmrius(m): 6:44pm On Mar 06, 2017
nurey:
if am picking the BMW it would be the one fitted with 4.4L V8, better response than the 3.0L V6. But if i travelled to other states, i would pick something common on road due to unforeseen circumstances, there are times your vehicle can breakdown not because of maintenance but road quality and other factors beyond your control.

i would prefer a toyota Prado probably V6, makes it easy to beat security operatives delay during interstate, very common and can withstand harsh Nigerian roads Not saying the rest arent also rugged

Great advice Nurey. The only issue is the price of the Toyota Prado and its very common. I love cars that stand out. You also have a great point on unforeseen circumstances. I once got stranded at Ijebu Ode when the 2002 Volvo V70 I was driving over heated and the gasket burnt. I could not get the radiator in the whole of Ijebu Ode. I had to hire a cab to Ladipo to buy one.

However, is the Toyota Prado fuel efficient? since it is not listed amongst the top 10 fuel efficient SUV's online.
Re: Advice Needed Between Bmw 3.0i V Volvo Xc90 V Toyota Highlander Hybrid by nurey(m): 8:14pm On Mar 06, 2017
mmrius:

Great advice Nurey. The only issue is the price of the Toyota Prado and its very common. I love cars that stand out. You also have a great point on unforeseen circumstances. I once got stranded at Ijebu Ode when the 2002 Volvo V70 I was driving over heated and the gasket burnt. I could not get the radiator in the whole of Ijebu Ode. I had to hire a cab to Ladipo to buy one.

However, is the Toyota Prado fuel efficient? since it is not listed amongst the top 10 fuel efficient SUV's online.

The landcruiser prado is also the Lexus GX with several engines from 2.7L i4, V6 to V8, I still like the 02 to 08 prado since it shares parts with Toyota 4runner,it is not as bulky as the landcruiser. I wish you good luck finding the 4cylinder you can see in naija but it won't be easy, also I think the 4cylinder and diesel came with manual transmission.

The prado is more common in Lexus form GX470, all this cars share same parts and suspension
Lexus GX470
Toyota Prado landcruiser J120 02-08 model
Toyota FJ cruiser
Toyota 4runner/hilux surf.

The prado isn't that expensive depending on year, you can get the 6 cylinder naija used for around 2.5 to 3million.

The fuel efficiency for 6 cylinder should be around 16mpeg city 18 or 20mpeg highway. Probably around 15L for 100km combined just a rough guess for the j120 V6. The V8 has same mpeg as the Lexus.

Since I don't know your budget, why don't you look at
1. Toyota FJ cruiser
2. Toyota fortuner (recent car could be a tad expensive and rear to find tokunbo)
Re: Advice Needed Between Bmw 3.0i V Volvo Xc90 V Toyota Highlander Hybrid by Mojibola(m): 4:26pm On Mar 07, 2017
Personally, I do not think there is a clear cut car that will fit specifications.

That BMW looks catchy tho, but then, you'll probably need many "special tools" to work on the engine. Not a car a regular mechanic want to mess with.
Re: Advice Needed Between Bmw 3.0i V Volvo Xc90 V Toyota Highlander Hybrid by Nobody: 4:23pm On Mar 10, 2017
Since its going to be for your wife,why not go for something subtle. Efficiency should not be in the picture with the options you listed,but i do have a few options for you though.
Hyundai Veracruz
2007-2009 Suzuki XL7(not sure about spare parts or how familiar our mechanics are with it)
Kia Mohave/Borrego V6
Highlander but not hybrid.
These are just suggestions. Just try to find out what you can,thats if you like them.

(1) (Reply)

Lubex Synthetic Motor Oil ( 5w30 ) 4 Litres Needed. / I Am In Need Of 02 Sensor Adapters / Pontiac Vibe Vs Pontiac Torrent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.