Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,831 members, 7,820,912 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank (20546 Views)

Currency Speculators ‘to Lose N700m / CBN Pumps $195Million To Boost Forex Market, As Naira Firms Up / Naira Plunges At Interbank Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by Islie: 6:05am On Mar 06, 2017
Foreign exchange (forex) speculators have lost over N100 million in the last three days after the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) injected fresh dollars into the interbank market.

Many of them panicked as news about the CBN’s intervention hit the market. This was in continuation of its strategy to strengthen the value of the naira.

According a source in the apex the bank, there is a planned release of an additional $350million bringing the total to $570 million in this week alone to further crash the value of the dollar.

Already, there are heightened fears among traders and other market participants who are yet to recover from the losses of the last two weeks owing to sharp and sudden appreciation of the Naira.

CBN’s Acting Director, Corporate Communication, Isaac Okorafor, confirmed this development, reiterated that with improving reserve levels, the Bank was determined to continuously make forex available to all genuine customers through their banks, advising those hoarding the greenback to reduce their losses by selling their dollar stock.

Market watchers said there was the likelihood of a liquidity glut as banks were beginning to send out salespeople to scout for customers to buy off their dollars to avoid losses arising from the expected further appreciation of the naira.

The CBN has in the last one week supplied a total of $570 million to the market made up of $80 million for Personal Travel Allowances, medical fees and school fees, $100 million in wholesale forwards, while another $350 million was injected into the interbank market at the weekend.

http://thenationonlineng.net/speculators-lose-n100m-cbn-pumps-dollars-interbank/

lalasticlala

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by Nobody: 6:10am On Mar 06, 2017
It simply won't work.

At some point the well that they're getting the dollars from will run dry because we know that we're not earning nearly enough in exports.

+++++++++++

FTC Numero Dos.

Muy caliente cabron y cabrones grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by Businessideas: 6:41am On Mar 06, 2017
EgunMogaji:
It simply won't work.

At some point the well that they're getting the dollars from will run dry because we know that we're not earning nearly enough in exports.
I am not sure your pessimism allowed you to give a honest view. With our daily oil output of over 2.1m barrels of oil (fetching Nigeria a whopping over $50m dollars daily!) and rising non oil exports from recent data, sustained anti-corruption fight in public finance, you will soon realize what terrible fate await you if you are one of the unpatriotic speculators.
Government is clearly not sleeping with it's eyes closed and when the full reality of what Kemi Adeosun said last year hits some of the speculators,they will consider suicide or declare bankruptcy.

These are the four factors that will eventually kill the speculators:
1.Rising oil output , price and sales.
2. Rising non oil sector export forex earnings.
3. Transparency and honest management of public finance by fighting corruption.
4. The apparent political will to fight and defeat these unpatriotic speculators.

182 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by Nobody: 6:45am On Mar 06, 2017
Businessideas:

I am not sure your pessimism allowed you to give a honest view. With our daily oil output of over 2.1m barrels of oil and rising exports from recent data, sustained anticorrosion fight in public finance, you will soon realize what terrible fate await you if you are one of the unpatriotic speculators.
Government is clearly not sleeping with it's eyes closed and when the full reality of what Kemi Adeosun said last year hits some of the speculators,they will consider suicide or declare bankruptcy.

It's my opinion.

Trust me, my fate is bountiful riches because I don't depend on one economy. 2.1m barrels at destitute price? grin

I have empathy for you though as you're unable to reason intelligently in a debate, at least in a financial sense. Too bad.

12 Likes

Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by Nobody: 6:48am On Mar 06, 2017
Businessideas:

I am not sure your pessimism allowed you to give a honest view. With our daily oil output of over 2.1m barrels of oil and rising exports from recent data, sustained anticorruption fight in public finance, you will soon realize what terrible fate await you if you are one of the unpatriotic speculators.

Help me tell them.

Dem never see chin chon chun. Mugus

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by Businessideas: 6:56am On Mar 06, 2017
EgunMogaji:

It's my opinion.

Trust me, my fate is bountiful riches because I don't depend on one economy. 2.1m barrels at destitute price? grin

I have empathy for you though as you're unable to reason intelligently in a debate, at least in a financial sense. Too bad.
Apparently,you didn't know or refer to the current price of crude oil.Perhaps if you do,you will know that the joke is on you.Do your simple maths of the current price of crude and Nigeria makes 60% gross earnings on a barrel and if this currently exceeds our daily US dollars demand and still left to save up in our foreign reserves and the money not looted

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by Nobody: 7:02am On Mar 06, 2017
Businessideas:

Apparently,you didn't know or refer to the current price of crude oil.Perhaps if you do,you will know that the joke is on you.Do your simple maths of the current price of crude and Nigeria makes 60% gross earnings on a barrel and if this currently exceeds our daily US dollars demand and still left to save up in our foreign reserves and the money not looted

Nope, you have no way of knowing what research I did.

The policy simply won't work, hence why the naira falls shortly after they pump dollar into the economy in a lame duck manner.

3 Likes

Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by jeeqaa7(m): 7:21am On Mar 06, 2017
Hahaha
Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by agboskipool(m): 7:22am On Mar 06, 2017
ok
Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by forayfleo(m): 7:23am On Mar 06, 2017
I so faith in God
Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by babyfaceafrica: 7:23am On Mar 06, 2017
Nice one..I believe in Nigeria
Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by DollarAngel(m): 7:23am On Mar 06, 2017
Good Decision but how consistent will they be
Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by Spidermon: 7:23am On Mar 06, 2017
Make I still dey observe.

Okafor's law seems to be deeply rooted in our national matters.

If i could buy the new range rover Velar for 50,000 naira, Boy!!! Wont that be something...

1 Like

Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by Nobody: 7:23am On Mar 06, 2017
Skelewu
Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by Mightyraw(m): 7:24am On Mar 06, 2017
Businessideas:

I am not sure your pessimism allowed you to give a honest view. With our daily oil output of over 2.1m barrels of oil (fetching Nigeria a whopping over $50m dollars daily!) and rising exports from recent data, sustained anti-corruption fight in public finance, you will soon realize what terrible fate await you if you are one of the unpatriotic speculators.
Wetin be Ur problem,
E affect u ?

1 Like

Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by johnjay4u2u(m): 7:24am On Mar 06, 2017
Enemies of the land go shock!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by babatee126(m): 7:24am On Mar 06, 2017
Hummm?
Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by Karlman: 7:25am On Mar 06, 2017
GOOD
Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by IMASTEX: 7:25am On Mar 06, 2017
Okay
Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by AngryNigerian(m): 7:26am On Mar 06, 2017
Please, what is dollar? Never heard of that word

1 Like

Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by jemby: 7:26am On Mar 06, 2017
Ok
Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by olaxx: 7:26am On Mar 06, 2017
CBN seems determined to defend the naira at this time.
The only set of people willing to keep their dollars at this time are those who got dollars cheap. Those who got it at higher rate can't afford to lose so much money anymore. These set of people rather sell out asap and count their losses.

7 Likes

Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by Dshocker(m): 7:27am On Mar 06, 2017
Provided it would help the masses
Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by sapientia(m): 7:27am On Mar 06, 2017
I hope its sustainable... defending the naira is part of what got us here.
Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by seunlly(m): 7:27am On Mar 06, 2017
CBN in action
nice one
Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by AngelicBeing: 7:29am On Mar 06, 2017
cool
Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by fulaniHERDSman(m): 7:31am On Mar 06, 2017
All hail OSINBAJO!

Down with the Dulllardd and his BMC DWELLERS
Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by Nobody: 7:31am On Mar 06, 2017
lol
Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by paschu: 7:32am On Mar 06, 2017
Don'tmind them. They are just using propaganda to drive the market. But propaganda can only go so far until reality hits with hard cold numbers.

EgunMogaji:
It simply won't work.

+++++++++++

Numero Dos.

Muy caliente cabron y cabrones grin

2 Likes

Re: Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank by sureheaven(m): 7:32am On Mar 06, 2017
This method adopted to further crash the dollar won't end well for now. Our export doesn't worth it, for how long will the CBN does this? The only best way to boost the naira is to increase production and export more.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Four Risky Places To Use Your Debit Card Abroad / Dangote Set To Flood African Market With Refined Petroleum Products / Naira Tumbles By 51.95% Despite Cbn’s Defence Measures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.