Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,790 members, 7,820,772 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Is Cross-breeding A Good Idea? Please Help - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Is Cross-breeding A Good Idea? Please Help (1568 Views)

Cross Breeding A Caucasian And St Bernard / Belgian Malinois Breeding Plan In Nigeria. / The Journey To Breeding A Caucasian/kangal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Cross-breeding A Good Idea? Please Help by hysteriabox(m): 9:19am On Mar 06, 2017
Hello peeps. So, sequel to my post about wanting a male cauc for mating with my cauc bitch, I ended up hitting a brick wall. Unsuccessful I must say.

https://www.nairaland.com/3640522/adult-male-caucasian-needed

I met a breeder who saw my bitch and adviced me to cross her with German Shepherd. Please is it advisable to cross my cauc with a German Shepherd? Are the pops going to be lovely n marketable? What will they be called?
Please I need una advice ko. Thnx
Re: Is Cross-breeding A Good Idea? Please Help by Magpies(m): 9:26am On Mar 06, 2017
hysteriabox:
Hello peeps. So, sequel to my post about wanting a male cauc for mating with my cauc bitch, I ended up hitting a brick wall. Unsuccessful I must say.

https://www.nairaland.com/3640522/adult-male-caucasian-needed

I met a breeder who saw my bitch and adviced me to cross her with German Shepherd. Please is it advisable to cross my cauc with a German Shepherd? Are the pops going to be lovely n marketable? What will they be called?
Please I need una advice ko. Thnx
Hello Mr
anybody supposedly suggesting mating with a gsd is ignorant or misleading you sir

Say no to cross breeding.

Cheers.
Re: Is Cross-breeding A Good Idea? Please Help by BoleAndFish: 9:31am On Mar 06, 2017
Go ahead. Until you breed a "Caucasian" with rat mouth like the one below.

2 Likes

Re: Is Cross-breeding A Good Idea? Please Help by Seun(m): 9:36am On Mar 06, 2017
Magpies said it all. Crossbred puppies are not marketable, of course. You don't have to buy a male to get your dog pregnant. Just hire a stud.
Re: Is Cross-breeding A Good Idea? Please Help by shenisaac(m): 9:41am On Mar 06, 2017
Hi.
Considering the pros n cons, its up to you. Not all crossings are lovely n not all crossings are terrible

Pros
Unique Look
Some people prefer a dog that doesn't look like any other breed they know, and cross breeding can certainly produce such a dog. When you combine two different breeds, it's a coin toss as to how the genetics will combine. This means that each puppy in a litter can look different from its littermates, and this can lead to a very interesting-looking litter.

Can Make Great Pets
Being a cross doesn't automatically mean the dog won't make a good pet. Proper socialization and training will bring out the best in any dog's temperament and behavior.

Fewer Congenital Issues in Some Cases
It's true that many purebred dogs suffer from genetic conditions that have been passed from one generation to the next. Careful cross breeding may lower the chances of passing on a particular condition if only one parent is a carrier.

May Become Foundation for a Future Pure Breed
Keep in mind that many of today's purebred dogs were founded on crosses of different breeds, and they have been refined through selective breeding to produce the consistent characteristics they display today.

Some of today's crosses could potentially evolve into tomorrow's pure breeds if breeders organize themselves and follow a specific plan to make that happen. The Cockapoo is one example of cross breeding that demonstrates this potential.

Cons
Difficult to Predict Temperaments
Pure breeds have been developed for different purposes, and their temperaments match those purposes closely. For example, Rottweilers tend to have bold and sometimes aggressive temperaments because they have been bred to be working guard dogs. Poodles were bred to hunt and be wonderful family companions. It would be difficult to predict the exact type of personality a cross breeding between these two dogs might produce.

Hard to Judge What Adult Size Will Be
Size really can be an issue for some potential owners, especially if they live in a small home with limited yard space. If both parents are similar in size, you can expect the pups will probably be about the same size as adults. However, it would be extremely difficult for the average pet owner to predict the ultimate size of a cross between a Doberman Pinscher and a Boston Terrier.

Potential for High Risk Deliveries
From a pregnancy perspective, breeding dogs of different sizes can sometimes lead to difficult deliveries. This is especially so if the stud is much larger than the bitch, or he comes from a large-headed breed. A bitch of different breed may have more difficulty pushing the puppies out, and she may require a C-section in order for her and her puppies to survive.

Still a Strong Chance for Congenital Health Issues
Many congenital health issues, such as hip dysplasia, eye diseases, epilepsy and kidney disease, are found across multiple breeds. This means these conditions are still likely to show up in crossbred pups if both parents are carriers of one or more of the same genetic problems.

May Be More Expensive Than a Purebred
With all the interest in "designer dogs," some mixed breeds go for $1,000.00 or more. The average purebred puppy often costs between $300.00 to $500.00 unless it's an extremely popular or rare

For me, it depends on the stud n the b#tch

3 Likes

Re: Is Cross-breeding A Good Idea? Please Help by hysteriabox(m): 9:44am On Mar 06, 2017
Seun:
Magpies said it all. Crossbred puppies are not marketable, of course. You don't have to buy a male to get your dog pregnant. Just hire a stud.

I understand. My ish is I live in a place where a stud isnt anywhere available. But thanks
Re: Is Cross-breeding A Good Idea? Please Help by hysteriabox(m): 9:45am On Mar 06, 2017
shenisaac:
Hi.
Considering the pros n cons, its up to you. Not all crossings are lovely n not all crossings are terrible

Pros
Unique Look
Some people prefer a dog that doesn't look like any other breed they know, and cross breeding can certainly produce such a dog. When you combine two different breeds, it's a coin toss as to how the genetics will combine. This means that each puppy in a litter can look different from its littermates, and this can lead to a very interesting-looking litter.

Can Make Great Pets
Being a cross doesn't automatically mean the dog won't make a good pet. Proper socialization and training will bring out the best in any dog's temperament and behavior.

Fewer Congenital Issues in Some Cases
It's true that many purebred dogs suffer from genetic conditions that have been passed from one generation to the next. Careful cross breeding may lower the chances of passing on a particular condition if only one parent is a carrier.

May Become Foundation for a Future Pure Breed
Keep in mind that many of today's purebred dogs were founded on crosses of different breeds, and they have been refined through selective breeding to produce the consistent characteristics they display today.

Some of today's crosses could potentially evolve into tomorrow's pure breeds if breeders organize themselves and follow a specific plan to make that happen. The Cockapoo is one example of cross breeding that demonstrates this potential.

Cons
Difficult to Predict Temperaments
Pure breeds have been developed for different purposes, and their temperaments match those purposes closely. For example, Rottweilers tend to have bold and sometimes aggressive temperaments because they have been bred to be working guard dogs. Poodles were bred to hunt and be wonderful family companions. It would be difficult to predict the exact type of personality a cross breeding between these two dogs might produce.

Hard to Judge What Adult Size Will Be
Size really can be an issue for some potential owners, especially if they live in a small home with limited yard space. If both parents are similar in size, you can expect the pups will probably be about the same size as adults. However, it would be extremely difficult for the average pet owner to predict the ultimate size of a cross between a Doberman Pinscher and a Boston Terrier.

Potential for High Risk Deliveries
From a pregnancy perspective, breeding dogs of different sizes can sometimes lead to difficult deliveries. This is especially so if the stud is much larger than the bitch, or he comes from a large-headed breed. A bitch of different breed may have more difficulty pushing the puppies out, and she may require a C-section in order for her and her puppies to survive.

Still a Strong Chance for Congenital Health Issues
Many congenital health issues, such as hip dysplasia, eye diseases, epilepsy and kidney disease, are found across multiple breeds. This means these conditions are still likely to show up in crossbred pups if both parents are carriers of one or more of the same genetic problems.

May Be More Expensive Than a Purebred
With all the interest in "designer dogs," some mixed breeds go for $1,000.00 or more. The average purebred puppy often costs between $300.00 to $500.00 unless it's an extremely popular or rare

For me, it depends on tge stud n the bitch

Hmm. Nice read. Thanks
Re: Is Cross-breeding A Good Idea? Please Help by hysteriabox(m): 9:45am On Mar 06, 2017
Magpies:
Hello Mr
anybody supposedly suggesting mating with a gsd is ignorant or misleading you sir

Say no to cross breeding.

Cheers.

Thnx alot
Re: Is Cross-breeding A Good Idea? Please Help by hysteriabox(m): 9:47am On Mar 06, 2017
BoleAndFish:

Lols. And what if the stud isnt bad looking? I beleive genetics ll play its part in bringing forth beta looking pups. Byt thnx alot
Re: Is Cross-breeding A Good Idea? Please Help by shenisaac(m): 9:58am On Mar 06, 2017
BoleAndFish:

Not all cases turn out this way. Crossbreeding can yeild better looks, better genetics, stronger genes, etc
Ask Google n you ll see lovely crossbreeds

1 Like

Re: Is Cross-breeding A Good Idea? Please Help by sleeknick: 10:02am On Mar 06, 2017
Seun:
Seun minister of dog affairs.
Lalasticlala Minister of snake matters
Wehdone sirs grin

1 Like

Re: Is Cross-breeding A Good Idea? Please Help by Rapahel1116: 4:39pm On Mar 06, 2017
Normally mixed breed are normal more expensive Dan pure breeds BT in 9ja reverse is d case
Re: Is Cross-breeding A Good Idea? Please Help by Seun(m): 4:51pm On Mar 06, 2017
If you have to travel far to get a Caucasian baby daddy for your dog, do it. The puppies should fetch a good price since they are scarce there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Cross-breeding A Good Idea? Please Help by highscript(m): 5:01pm On Mar 06, 2017
Seun:
If you have to travel far to get a Caucasian baby daddy for your dog, do it. The puppies should fetch a good price since they are scarce there.
uncle seun,pls some of us have our full info on our old account here ,pls do something on that even if it will require token to remove it plus the one they quote.pls mail me if you can.
THANKS
Re: Is Cross-breeding A Good Idea? Please Help by Teymanhenry(f): 4:23am On Mar 05, 2022
Well it has its advantages and disadvantages. Most dogs you see out there are mixture of various genes like how the outstanding GSD was created in a lab by Captain Max von Stephanitz and or how the Caucasian is created in Soviet Union from the genes of several Moloser dogs such as Tibetan Mastiffs or even how the Dutch Sheperd was created from genes of Gsd and Belgian Malinios .. Sometimes particular mix aren't often advisable anyways

(1) (Reply)

Dog Has Wound On Both Ears / Male And Female Gsd Pups Available / Christmas Bonanza

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.