Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,971 members, 7,821,401 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets (2313 Views)

Things Pet Owners Need To Know About Ticks / Lady Flaunts Her Pet's Passport "Stop Leaving Your Pets, They Wanna Travel Too" / natural Way To Stop/prevent Ticks And Lice From Dogs- [must See] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by DogCynophile(m): 9:42pm On Mar 07, 2017
Do you really think that only the dogs that spend their time in the woods get ticks? Or do you believe that ticks are not a big problem for cats since she gets rid of them when she grooms herself? All these things are incorrect. Let us now put the facts right. Some of these facts might even surprise you:

Ticks do not only affect pets that spend their time in the woods

Ticks tend to live where the animals they feed on live. It is not contingent on the area. It can be an urban, suburban or rural locale. These ticks are generally found in areas of tall grass, brush and other plant material. Ticks never fall from trees. But they can climb it. In fact, adult black-legged ticks can be found up to 3 feet off the ground to wait for the host. Adult ticks crawl up grass blades, bushes or tall weeds while waiting for an animal or a person to walk by.

When you or a pet brushes against them or the plants they are resting they climb aboard, attach to the skin and feed on the blood for hours or even several days. Once the feeding is complete, they drop from the host’s body. Immature ticks can be seen on leaf litter or in the layers of decomposing leaves under trees. They may then crawl onto the host when the debris is disturbed.

Ticks do not die in cold winter weather

It is falsely acclaimed that ticks cannot survive in cold weather. But the truth is there are certain ticks that become dormant while others hide in the leaf litter of wooded and bushy areas or remain indoors. It has been found that adult black-legged ticks, the tick species that are renowned to transmit Lyme disease start feeding during the time of first frost. Those adult ticks that do not find hosts during colder temperature remain covered under leaf litter or other plant material.

Cats can suffer from ticks even though they remove ticks when they groom

Cats can and do pick up ticks while grooming. This is especially true for outdoor cats that spend most of their time in grassy areas and rest under shrubs. But due to the fact that cats have rough tongue, it is not possible for them to remove all the ticks while grooming. There are several ticks that produce glue like substance that aids them to stay attached to the host’s body. The ticks can even attach themselves to areas where the cat cannot groom. This includes the cat’s face or ears. Even if the cat is successful in getting rid of ticks during grooming, she can become infected with a tick-transmitted disease known as cytauxzoonosis which can be very lethal for her health and in certain extreme cases even death.

Ticks do not transmit disease as soon as they bite the host

Ticks can carry a wide array of disease-causing organisms like viruses, parasites, bacteria and toxins. But the fact is that not all ticks are infected and most tick bites do not lead to disease. There are certain bacteria that can be transmitted within 3 to 6 hours of tick attachment, while others need more than a day before transmission occurs. Since it is not possible to know where a tick is infected, immediate removal of the tick is important to prevent the pathogen from transferring to you and the pet. Hence, contact your veterinarian and ask them to recommend an appropriate tick control product for your pet.

Being a proud owner of a kitty and 2 dogs, I was always worried about ticks. I read a lot about these pesky parasites and found that there are certain myths that are circulating around. Hence, to clarify the facts I have written this piece of information. But it is also very important to give a regular treatment of flea and tick preventatives to your pet for their healthy well-being.

Source: Petmarket Nigeria

Re: Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by adekunledog: 10:03pm On Mar 07, 2017
Eeewwwww, see that dog ears., if Na me na to throw the dog.... But it's irritating..OP you try Sha....

1 Like

Re: Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by DogCynophile(m): 10:06pm On Mar 07, 2017
adekunledog:
Eeewwwww, see that dog ears., if Na me na to throw the dog.... But it's irritating..OP you try Sha....

Lol, remember when my pet had such issues wasn't Funny, ticks problem ain't a funny knew doe
Re: Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by adekunledog: 10:09pm On Mar 07, 2017
DogCynophile:

Lol, remember when my pet had such issues wasn't Funny, ticks problem ain't a funny knew doe
So how did you overcome the problem, because someone told me dogs will always have ticks, I'm planning on getting a dog soon
Re: Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by DogCynophile(m): 10:11pm On Mar 07, 2017
adekunledog:

So how did you overcome the problem, because someone told me dogs will always have ticks, I'm planning on getting a dog soon
There are some remedies, u can google them up, but seeing your vet is the best solution

1 Like

Re: Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by adekunledog: 6:42am On Mar 08, 2017
DogCynophile:

There are some remedies, u can google them up, but seeing your vet is the best solution

No home remedies or prevention
Re: Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by inception101(m): 7:02am On Mar 08, 2017
adekunledog:

No home remedies or prevention

I totally disagree, my dogs dont v ticks. Good hygine prevents ticks. And ofvus regular inoculation
Re: Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by DogCynophile(m): 11:26am On Mar 08, 2017
inception101:

I totally disagree, my dogs dont v ticks. Good hygine prevents ticks. And ofvus regular inoculation

from expereince and our typical Nigerian environment, i dont think ticks are preventable o, or where you dey stay? and please what is "ofvus regular inoculation"
Re: Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by adekunledog: 11:43am On Mar 08, 2017
inception101:

Bros Abeg where u dey stay and Wetin u dey use, Cos I don't think just bathing your pets alone is enough
Re: Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by inception101(m): 12:30pm On Mar 08, 2017
DogCynophile:

from expereince and our typical Nigerian environment, i dont think ticks are preventable o, or where you dey stay? and please what is "ofvus regular inoculation"

By regular inoculation, i mean regular vaccine and checkup with d vets. "Typical NIGERIAN ENVIRONMENT"- i stay in one valiiage called ihila in Anambra and i will tell u categorically that my environmnet is filled with trees and grasses except my compound. So when i said good hygiene i think i do hav an idea what "nigerian environment" is. Just make sure the surroundings is clean and at-times fumigated.

1 Like

Re: Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by adekunledog: 6:06pm On Mar 08, 2017
inception101:

By regular inoculation, i mean regular vaccine and checkup with d vets. "Typical NIGERIAN ENVIRONMENT"- i stay in one valiiage called ihila in Anambra and i will tell u categorically that my environmnet is filled with trees and grasses except my compound. So when i said good hygiene i think i do hav an idea what "nigerian environment" is. Just make sure the surroundings is clean and at-times fumigated.

Oh, okay that's okay, requires attention doe, and time
Re: Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by olatosina(m): 6:30pm On Mar 08, 2017
nice writeup, total fumigation is needed
Re: Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by DogCynophile(m): 9:12am On Mar 09, 2017
olatosina:
nice writeup, total fumigation is needed

Yes that's true, but we need to be careful how you do it. else it harms your pets
Re: Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by Jibola77: 8:45pm On Mar 09, 2017
Yes ticks can be a serious problem. See that dogs ear! If your dogs ear ever gets like that rush to www.kennelpride.com/help-center , they will give you answers for free.

1 Like

Re: Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by Samswags9(m): 3:10pm On Mar 12, 2017
I only bath my dog and I can tell you she is as pure as anything else... Very Neat...Free From Ticks
Re: Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by Samswags9(m): 3:14pm On Mar 12, 2017
But With All Sincerity,
Preventing your dog from ticks has to do with a precaution you have to take while they were very Young (Pup)s.

Regular Vaccine
Clean Environment
Regular Grooming
e.t.c

An Adage Says Train Your Child in The Way He Should Go So That He Would Give You Peace When He/She Grows Up.

This Applies To Our Pets As Well.

1 Like

Re: Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by DogCynophile(m): 12:34pm On Mar 16, 2017
Jibola77:
Yes ticks can be a serious problem. See that dogs ear! If your dogs ear ever gets like that rush to www.kennelpride.com/help-center , they will give you answers for free.
nothing is free, so what is the catch? traffic shey? wink
Re: Mystifying Facts About Ticks And Your Pets by DogCynophile(m): 12:35pm On Mar 16, 2017
Samswags9:
I only bath my dog and I can tell you she is as pure as anything else...
Very Neat...Free From Ticks
nice...Kudos.. not everyone will have that time. but itrs good, would love to see a pix of your pet. cheesy shocked

(1) (Reply)

How To Bathe My Cats Without A Struggle. / Mountain Goats: Amazing Goats Climbers. Photos / Pug And Standard Eskimo For Stud Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.