Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,435 members, 7,846,796 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 12:02 AM

The Highs And Lows Of Being A Woman In Tech - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Highs And Lows Of Being A Woman In Tech (6198 Views)

The Disadvantages Of Working Under A Woman In An Office / Man Meets A Woman Driving Keke Napep In Anambra, Gets Surprised (Photos) / Bitcoin Price Recovers 10% From Last Week’s Lows Of Below USD 12,000. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Highs And Lows Of Being A Woman In Tech by gechyy2(f): 3:23pm On Mar 09, 2017
These days people have come to embrace the fact that impossible is nothing even women are more daring than men these days, very soon i repeat very soon women will take over technology in nigeria. technology drives the world. nigerian women will continue to learn from the likes of funke opkeke, omobola johnson, linda ikeji.
Re: The Highs And Lows Of Being A Woman In Tech by Edufound(f): 6:12pm On Mar 09, 2017
kanicorp9:
Misstechy is my inspiration in tech although am a guy I just like her visit http://www.wikinaija.com.ng

If you like wikinaija, you would love this too:
Join this group
https://www./458837284307464/
Re: The Highs And Lows Of Being A Woman In Tech by lovethchioma(f): 10:36pm On Mar 09, 2017
simiolu1:

Don't be. In the next few years, Nigerian tech startups will be building products that will have markets across the borders of Africa. Flutterwave is already in over 20 countries. Interswitch too. Companies like Paystack and those we don't know yet too will probably join the gang. When these companies cross that line, cyber security would be a BIG issue for them and indigenous cyber security guys would be hot cakes. Besides, you can also go ahead with cyber security and ethical hacking and be a freelancer. The possibilities are endless.

One things the past few months have taught me is that in Tech, you can carve a niche for yourself and not end up being someone's slave.
Thanks dear.... of course I wouldn't give up just yet. l believe I'll surely get there.
Re: The Highs And Lows Of Being A Woman In Tech by Nobody: 4:00pm On Mar 10, 2017
sexfabregas:
Nigerian girls? tech? I laugh in Hebrew. no offense though, it's not just their thing

Says who? Nigerians women are into tech o. Don't get it twisted. You can get familiar with a few of them by reading this article https://blog.devcenter.co/10-female-nigerian-developers-you-should-follow-4641a5e7b872
Re: The Highs And Lows Of Being A Woman In Tech by Nobody: 4:01pm On Mar 10, 2017
frenchwine:

That you don't have them around you doesn't mean they aren't there.
Way back in secondary school, we had 4 graduating ladies in technical class, in a class of 30.
And that's way back man, over a decade ago.

Exactly!
Re: The Highs And Lows Of Being A Woman In Tech by Nobody: 4:02pm On Mar 10, 2017
Genea:
who told you eeeehn?? Well I'm an exception and I do hope to be grounded in it... tongue

Same here
Re: The Highs And Lows Of Being A Woman In Tech by Nobody: 4:04pm On Mar 10, 2017
simiolu1:

There are quite a few women in Tech in Nigeria who are really flying high; Ire Aderinokun and co. I know because I follow a lot of them on Twitter. Andela too has quite a number of female tech developers. But what many fail to realize is that tech is actually a large industry.

You can be a UX/UI person, project management, marketing, devops, support etc. And each of those fields have numerous opportunities that females can take advantage off. These days, I attend Usable (a meetup of the UI/UX community at CcHub) and I see quite a number of females who truly want to break into the industry.

The future is bright I must say

Dara Oke is another good one.
Re: The Highs And Lows Of Being A Woman In Tech by Nobody: 6:51pm On Mar 10, 2017
techgirlng:

Says who? Nigerians are into tech o. Don't get tit twisted. You can get familiar with a few of them by reading this article https://blog.devcenter.co/10-female-nigerian-developers-you-should-follow-4641a5e7b872

okay ma'am, I've read the blog. thanks for sharing.
I meant they're are not many of them compared to the male folk.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Industrial And Production Engineering Career / Get A New Job -revit, 3ds Max, Autocad, Archicad, Primavera, Ms Project Training / Should Employees Access Social Media At Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.