Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Traditional Marriage Issues? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Marriage Issues? (6265 Views)

Poll: Is It A Must?

Yes: 68% (42 votes)
No: 31% (19 votes)
This poll has ended

A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / Nigeria Is Blessed With Culture.. Some Beautiful Traditional Marriage Pictures / Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional Marriage Issues? by mccloud224(m): 3:38am On Dec 17, 2009
Hey all,

Is traditional marriage a do-or-die affair in African culture?I'm considering doing the court and church wedding thing only and leave out the traditional wahala (for personal reasons best known to me).Is it possible for me to do this or. . .? For the record, I'm Efik and engaged to someone from Akwa Ibom.

Your responses (and advice) are welcome.

Thanks.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by mccloud224(m): 4:06am On Dec 17, 2009
NL people. . .i still dey wait una ooo!
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by AKO1(m): 11:39am On Dec 17, 2009
If both of you don't want but your families insist, I think you should just do it for peace sake.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by Livvvvy(f): 11:45am On Dec 17, 2009
l hope you are not running from certain responsibilties?
As africans TM is very important.

Some churches even require that you settle all TM issues first before you take your bride to church.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by AKO1(m): 11:53am On Dec 17, 2009
Livvvvy:

Some churches even require that you settle all TM issues first before you take your bride to church.

Really shocked? Do some churches insist that you have a traditional wedding before they marry you?
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by igelle: 11:55am On Dec 17, 2009
Trado is very imp, its even more imp.than d church, since we r africans,
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by rbn: 11:57am On Dec 17, 2009
Traditional marriage is not compulsory, it depends on the people involved. You can choose not to have a party only make sure you give the family all their requirements in terms of bride price and other stuff. This can be done quietly. The party is what makes it too expensive. I am from the south east and i know it is not compulsory where i come from. I dont know about other places. I will suggest you make proper enquiry from the good elders not the greedy ones.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by carnal: 11:58am On Dec 17, 2009
well i dont know your reasons but traditional wedding is a must in african setting because this is where you settle the bride price and do other traditions rites attached to that occassion so therefore i doubt if you can skip it maybe you can only delay it infact i had a friend who did just white wedding and court yet the family of the lady didnt recognise that their daughter was married until he fulfilled the tradition rites.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by Livvvvy(f): 12:04pm On Dec 17, 2009
@ AkO. Yes some churches require that you settle any issue you have traditonally before having the church wedding done.
This will prevent certain problem that may arise in the future (if there will be any).
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by slimes(m): 12:08pm On Dec 17, 2009
It seems you don't even know the essence of traditional marriage. TM for short, is an occasion to bring the families of the couple together. This is the main importance so it should not be a big deal but right now, so many absurdities come in place.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by Ben13: 12:15pm On Dec 17, 2009
It makes more sense.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by udennaa: 12:23pm On Dec 17, 2009
carnal:

well i dont know your reasons but traditional wedding is a must in african setting because this is where you settle the bride price and do other traditions rites attached to that occassion so therefore i doubt if you can skip it maybe you can only delay it infact i had a friend who did just white wedding and court yet the family of the lady didnt recognise that their daughter was married until he fulfilled the tradition rites.
Livvvvy:

@ AkO. Yes some churches require that you settle any issue you have traditonally before having the church wedding done.
This will prevent certain problem that may arise in the future (if there will be any).
cool
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by tems777: 12:31pm On Dec 17, 2009
Please sign up to this website.
Kind regards,
Tope for:
NaijaSquare.com

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by Czarskit(m): 12:43pm On Dec 17, 2009
tems777:

Please sign up to this website.
Kind regards,
Tope for:
NaijaSquare.com

U ok?

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by gamesb: 12:51pm On Dec 17, 2009
traditional marriage is very important not only in african setting , so my brother if no get money just relax with court marriage when get money u do all u dey hear me sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by tk22ng: 1:04pm On Dec 17, 2009
IF NOT FOR ANYTHING IS OUR CULTURE AND TRADITION AND WHO SHOULDNT THROW IT AWAY.AFRICANS MUST LEARN TO PUT OUR CULTURE FIRST,BEFORE THE WESTERN CULTURE.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by Lolladey(f): 1:33pm On Dec 17, 2009
though its necessary but i u have good reasons for not wanting to, then the most important is for u to convince your husband to be and ur family while he tries his best to convince his family. once there is an understanding then i think there should be no problem.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by Aniody: 1:36pm On Dec 17, 2009
yea traditional wedding is very important, and is more important than the others, i also agree with abn, if you dont want the part aspect, u can just quietly give the family their requirements, but if they insist you do a TM party, there is this new method now where the couple will go to church first i mean after giving them their requirement, you go to church, then the wedding party will be the TM party though i dnt like it that way but is what is on now every thing is done the same day.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by Amjustme: 1:44pm On Dec 17, 2009
Personally, if it has nothing to do with gods n demons, no problem.

As a matter of fact, its a colorful thing, n if ur family, his family n he himself dont mind, dont make it a big deal go right ahead and dance ur way tru.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by agathamari(f): 1:55pm On Dec 17, 2009
i know the court wedding required a TM when i went
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:18pm On Dec 17, 2009
From what I know, a good deal of churches, families, and people tend to not recognize the union if the TM hasn't been done.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by tolly4real(f): 2:51pm On Dec 17, 2009
Traditional marriage is not a do or die affair. But for u to have considered doing the church and court wedding, i think u shld put the personal reasons aside cos most people may not understand and do the tradional rites as well.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by phuckNL: 3:00pm On Dec 17, 2009
The only authority that recognizes marriage in Nigeria is still the law courts/registry. Let the church and all the others talk all they want. Traditional marriage no be by force. If you enter registry, u don marry be that. No one can change that.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by lysim: 3:33pm On Dec 17, 2009
Traditional marriages has long being existing before church marriages. Besides,some churches request that you do the traditional marriage before the church wedding. So,i advice you do the traditional marriage 1st. Or do you want go against the tradition?
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by koolchicco: 3:54pm On Dec 17, 2009
mccloud224:

Hey all,

Is traditional marriage a do-or-die affair in African culture?

NO, [size=5pt]important tho[/size]

mccloud224:

I'm considering doing the court and church wedding thing only and leave out the traditional wahala

Thats absolutely fine (Its your choice) and No wahala, IMO.

mccloud224:

For the record, I'm Efik and engaged to someone from Akwa Ibom.

Sums up now! and which tradition are u talking about as though u pple had one there? tongue undecided
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by HERO111: 4:01pm On Dec 17, 2009
@Poster,
I was in ur shows about a year ago which made me confronted my Pastor with d same question and it baffled me wen he said TM was d most important and to my greatest surprise my cousin who is a seasoned lawyer confirmed dat TM was the most recognized even by law. Others are just to add up. But as a Christian after d TM u can just go and do marraige blessing or thanksgiving in church. thats all i know for now.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by BeBlessed2: 4:02pm On Dec 17, 2009
Traditional marriage is the most  compulsory thing to do after introduction.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by Sauron1: 4:22pm On Dec 17, 2009
mccloud224:

Hey all,

Is traditional marriage a do-or-die affair in African culture?I'm considering doing the court and church wedding thing only and leave out the traditional wahala (for personal reasons best known to me).Is it possible for me to do this or. . .? For the record, I'm Efik and engaged to someone from Akwa Ibom.

Your responses (and advice) are welcome.

Thanks.

Traditional marriage is more important than the Church/Court wedding.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by fola4real: 5:33pm On Dec 17, 2009
As for me, my belive is that marriage is all above receiveing the prayer of both parent i.e. having the consent of the parents .
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by Spyker: 7:42pm On Dec 17, 2009
How do they want me to get married three times all in the name of marriage. White, Court and Traditional are all marriage. As a Christian, i will only subscribe to White and if the church says court is compulsory, then i will do that. But traditional, i won't do it even though somebody wants to sponsor it. I have already told my parents that even though somebody sponsors it (takes charge of all the expenses) i won't be there on that day. I see no reason marrying thrice all to one and the same person. Marriage is marriage, if i must do traditional, then the Priest or Pastor must be there to do the church wedding. That is my take in this issue and i believe my spouse and her people will respect my decision and allow things to flow my way.
Re: Traditional Marriage Issues? by ndomadu: 9:17pm On Dec 17, 2009
my broooodaaaa,

As an african.traditional marriage is the true identification of your two-becomes-one. Q.E.D

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Translate This Song : Infinity - Olori Oko / What Is The True Meaning Of The Word "Benin/bini"??? / What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.