Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,638 members, 7,955,325 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:49 PM

Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? (9667 Views)

Any Food/fruit You Won't Dare Taste ! / .. / Is There Any Food That Can Reduce The Chances Of Getting Malaria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by sleak(m): 12:58pm On Dec 21, 2009
How can naijas av food allergies with all the Agbo jedi,okpa eyin et al.
HUNGER NO SABI ALLERGY grin grin grin
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by DOAweb(m): 1:38pm On Dec 21, 2009
sleak:

How can naijas av food allergies with all the Agbo jedi,okpa eyin et al.
HUNGER NO SABI ALLERGY grin grin grin

SIMPLES - just the same way naijas are dying of kidney failures, hearth attacks, high bP and cancers, with all the so called Agbo jedi, okpa eyin et al. sad sad sad
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by madamL(f): 1:47pm On Dec 21, 2009
@osasp
A beg bros which one be lactose intolerance? I don de old and I never get am; I no sabi anyone we get am. Abi no be de thing we you say dey do person whey bosom feed well well?

But looking at things well, I am beginning to think we do have allergies but do not listen to ourselves well enough to detect that. There are too many things to worry about the least of which is how belle de do you after the last meal of boiled maize and pears.
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by Ank(m): 6:16pm On Dec 21, 2009
One of my brothers chilldren has multiple food allergy right after he was born here in the states. He cannot eat anything made of milk/cream including cheese, ice cream, pizza, etc. He cannot eat eggs, nuts, etc. We were hoping he will outgrow it by the age of six, but no luck. I do not know where he got it from because none of his parents( Dad & Mum) have food allergies and neither are other of their children.
You cannot say it is environmental or from processed food or even because of not being bosom fed as somebody poited out, because he was born with it
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by evantical: 7:41pm On Dec 21, 2009
allergies deyoooo. but most time hunger overides it.i rember when i was younger i eat anytin but since i have grown up.i tend 2 b selective.i now realised i get reaction when i take certain foods eg Oha soup, Oluigbo soap and goatmeat gives me headache( dont still know the cause).but back then i do feel it bt overlook it.but since i can aford my own food now i am chosey about what i take.
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by GL(f): 9:51pm On Dec 21, 2009
princekevo:

Are you indirectly encouraging poor hygiene?

no i'm not encouraging poor hygiene. there's a naturally acquired kind of immunity; people develop resistance to certain pathogens as a result of exposure to them. someone can grow up in a slum, use dirty public toilets, drink dirty tap/well water, bathe in a dirty river, play/walk in mud, and still become a very healthy adult. whereas, someone who grew up with excellent hygiene can use a dirty toilet once or drink dirty water once and fall really ill. this is simply because he lacks immunity to the pathogens due to his lack of exposure to them.
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by chiogo(f): 11:48pm On Dec 21, 2009
I'm allergic to peanuts, sorta. I can be around it though, it's not that bad. grin
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by Stallion84(m): 12:03am On Dec 22, 2009
Aller wetin u kol am?? wt all the roots wey i chop grow, u kon dey hala allergy.
even if allergy na food name, i go chop am join.
Proudly African
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by OgidiBoy(m): 12:08am On Dec 22, 2009
I'm soo allergic to paw paw, just the smell of it maks me puke.
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by Tats(m): 12:11am On Dec 22, 2009
I recently developed lactose intolerance here in the UK. It was hardly the case when I was living in Nigeria. Now, I don't take milk, ice cream, cake, yoghurt, e.t.c!
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by MrCrackles(m): 12:12am On Dec 22, 2009
chiogo:

I'm allergic to peanuts, sorta. I can be around it though, it's not that bad. grin
Must you claim to be allergic because some people are tongue
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by chiogo(f): 12:16am On Dec 22, 2009
MrCrackles:

Must you claim to be allergic because some people are tongue
LOL Yes oo by force to have an allergy!! tongue

Tats:

I recently developed lactose intolerance here in the UK. It was hardly the case when I was living in Nigeria. Now, I don't take milk, ice cream, cake, yoghurt, e.t.c!
What?? That's crazy. Can't imagine not being able to eat chocolate/cheesecake and Ice cream. embarassed I guess it's the way they process food abroad.
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by ovo4u(m): 12:18am On Dec 22, 2009
Hmm Allergic kie, i remember when i was young with  my Family  in those days back home,my elder brother as the story goes, when he was young refuse to swallow eba when my mama don hussle cook and pickin say e nor won chop, oh boy come see beat grin grin grin grin grin for my guy, them nor tell am before he started eating eba, now he eat eba more than anyone i can ever think of, This thing happen two time in my family and the other one was my elder sister son, same beat go for him too, am sure they both the best eba eater's now grin grin grin, But if this kids was born in this oyibo land or mom and dad was so wealthy then,am sure the English Allergic could have come in,

And another thing in Africa,is only belief that bring symptom for Allergic. When you don't believed anything,You eat anything uneatable  grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by MrCrackles(m): 12:23am On Dec 22, 2009
chiogo:

LOL Yes oo by force to have an allergy!! tongue
Bush gurl like you. . . . tongue
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by mamagee3(f): 12:33am On Dec 22, 2009
Crackles, vote for me in the Nairaland poster of the year Awards,
It's in the Nairaland section, Please I need your vote to win this year's award
. wink
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by MrCrackles(m): 12:37am On Dec 22, 2009
mama-gee:

Crackles, vote for me in the Nairaland poster of the year Awards,
It's in the Nairaland section, Please I need your vote to win this year's award
. wink
Ok Mama-Gee wink
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by mamagee3(f): 12:38am On Dec 22, 2009
Thanks. kiss
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by waju03(m): 12:48am On Dec 22, 2009
Stallion84:

Aller wetin u kol am?? wt all the roots wey i chop grow, u kon dey hala allergy.
even if allergy na food name, i go chop am join.
Proudly African
good answer ja re.wetin be allergy self. oyinbo go dey talk about im allergic to peanut,egg,milk n so on.bring everything come even if allergy is a peanut name i go chop nonsense
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by manny4life(m): 12:57am On Dec 22, 2009
Yes people can be allergic to certain thing not only food like me anything containing nuts are not for me from snickers to peanut butter which I nearly choked on one day and never tried it again. While I like cheese, I don't eat any other types so as not to cause me skin irritation, throat scratching and itching, also for some reason I can only drink 2% reduced fat milk, because I sure don't want any stomach ache and rare case I have thrown up. Trust me I eat everything else.
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by chiogo(f): 2:24am On Dec 22, 2009
MrCrackles:

Bush gurl like you. . . . tongue

I learned from the best wink
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by Toppiano(m): 9:40am On Dec 22, 2009
Dats the power of NAIJA. Nothing do us. Some people fit eat shit and nothing go happen. I don see person wey dey take rice dey eat yam, eba dey eat beans, and on top dat nothing do am.
We are also human beings only dat we have better and stronger immune system despite our environment.
Am proud to be BLACK BY NATURE. shocked cool grin
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by NNS83: 10:38am On Dec 22, 2009
I dont believe there is any nation that does not have allergies, my own classified under shell fish eg. prawns, crayfish, mussels and crab . I can eat normal fish but those ones make my skin itch, my lips swell and my throat gets scratch.
I guess if you are adventurous when it comes to tasting foods comes with its own pros and cons.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by chelseabmw(m): 5:43pm On Dec 22, 2009
To me oo,no food is bad, i can eat anything
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by stalliontp(m): 10:31pm On Dec 22, 2009
lol, yeah like someone said earlier, hunger no sabi allergy! Period. tongue
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by vincent10(m): 11:45am On Dec 23, 2009
Na who eat beleful na fit get allergies. Most Africans can't eat three times a day then what is d meaning of allergy 2 them. Anything that looks like food they will eat.
Pheeeews!
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by IbrahimB: 6:09pm On Dec 23, 2009
@GL no i'm not encouraging poor hygiene. there's a naturally acquired kind of immunity; people develop resistance to certain pathogens as a result of exposure to them. someone can grow up in a slum, use dirty public toilets, drink dirty tap/well water, bathe in a dirty river, play/walk in mud, and still become a very healthy adult. whereas, someone who grew up with excellent hygiene can use a dirty toilet once or drink dirty water once and fall really ill. this is simply because he lacks immunity to the pathogens due to his lack of exposure to them.

So what type of environment will you recommend a parent to raise his/her child? I mean, do we deliberately bring down the hygiene level or in some way ensure our babies are exposed to germs?

If it's a scientific fact that poor hygiene improves the human immune system then, should we encourage I'm kind of confused. Or maybe "poor hygiene" wasn't the right phrase to use?
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by waleski(m): 7:14pm On Dec 23, 2009
Toppiano:

Dats the power of NAIJA. Nothing do us. Some people fit eat poo and nothing go happen. I don see person wey dey take rice dey eat yam, eba dey eat beans, and on top dat nothing do am.
We are also human beings only dat we have better and stronger immune system despite our environment.
Am proud to be BLACK BY NATURE. shocked cool grin

men with d kind of hussling a person faces everydat dere is no time 2 av allergies besides wetin naija people wan dey allegic to is the rice,beans,garri and the nomal kinds of food we eat i,n africa were everybody get red eye if u see anythg u eat there is no choice or variety so there is no basis for allegy
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by oneluvb55(f): 7:49pm On Dec 23, 2009
lol!
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by aggie80(f): 10:58am On Dec 24, 2009
Food allergies the ratio of food allergies to population by race is: 0-17 years. All. 3.8%. White. 3.8%. Black. 3.7%. Asian. 4.3%. Multiple race. 4.6%. Hispanic. 2.8%.  Courtesy of the office of minority health.  (link provided below)

minorityhealth.hhs.gov/templates/content.aspx?ID=5155&lvl=3&lvlID=319

There is evidence that breastfeeding for at least 4 months, compared with feeding infants formula made with intact cow milk protein, prevents or delays the occurrence of atopic dermatitis, cow milk allergy but has shown little difference in other allergies.  early introduction of solid foods however have been shown to increase some allergies like nuts and rice.  the main cause of allegies is still unknown to science.

I have noticed in Africa there is a "do not discuss health issues" mentality while in places like the us and Europe things are openly discussed.  There is little to no diff by race/location as far as allergies are concerned but a huge diff in the discussion of such.   

@ifez:Lactose intolerance affects 70% of blacks while only 15% of whites.  Medical research has shown that this is an evolutionary difference between the races.  Those ethnic groups where milk played an important role in the daily diet like northwestern Europeans have a lactose intolerance rate of 5% while those areas where milk played little to no part in the traditional diet like Native Americans have a lactose intolerance of nearly 100%.  This has nothing to do with a single generation worth of diet.  You are born lactose intolerance.
princekevo:

That is also why we always have low cases of all these their Bird flu, swine flu in Africa .
The reason there are low cases of flu in Nigeria or any tropical region is because of climate ONLY.  Viruses have a temperature range where they can survive just like most plants and animals.  The flu is a cold weather disease just as malaria is a warm weather disease.
Redsun:

African children on average,even with all the nightmares mothers face are born healthy and able but in the west,with all the cares and protections almost one in twenty births are in some way deformed or diseased
Birth defects are MORE common in developing countries especially things like cleft lip/pallet, spina bifida, malformed digits/limbs.  Take umbilical hernias.  They are virtually unheard of in the west and yet every single person in Nigeria knows at least one person personally who has one.  As far as developmental diseases like autism or cerebral palsy.  They aren’t more common in the west just more likely to be diagnosed whether because of better medical care or the shame mentality attributed.  Developmentally challenged children are usually referred to as “stubborn” or “slow” or branded as witches/demons in Nigeria.
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by aggie80(f): 12:52pm On Dec 24, 2009
IbrahimB:

So what type of environment will you recommend a parent to raise his/her child? I mean, do we deliberately bring down the hygiene level or in some way ensure our babies are exposed to germs?

If it's a scientific fact that poor hygiene improves the human immune system then, should we encourage I'm kind of confused. Or maybe "poor hygiene" wasn't the right phrase to use?
Some exposure to germs is good but no over exposure. Tap water is better for a child then distilled water. It is better to take a child out in public when it is a month or two old then to leave it at home away from people. Throwing your child in a dirty river is not good for the child. The baby/child has to develop immunity to common germs through exposure to them. Important point though is to mention some children are born without a functioning immune system and cannot be exposed to any germ like the “bubble boy”. Over exposure to germs can damage the immune system by making it hyper sensitive as well. Moderation is the key. Does the bathroom have to be sterile before your 5 year old can use it? No but it shouldn’t be filled with flies or have shit/pee on the walls either.
Re: Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food? by Fhemmmy: 4:59pm On Dec 24, 2009
Human being are allergic to one thing or the other, and some of those Humans are Nigerians.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns / Powdered Soya Beans Milk / Intercontinental Dishes And Recipe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.