Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

International Women’s Day 2017: Nigerians Speak - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / International Women’s Day 2017: Nigerians Speak (388 Views)

Wife Ties Up Her Husband In Calabar, Attempts To Suffocate Him On Women’s Day / Family Of Girlfriend To KENPOLY Graduate Who Committed Suicide Speak Out / "My daughter can speak 3 international languages" Nigerian Dad praise daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

International Women’s Day 2017: Nigerians Speak by NaijaMagazineO: 6:01pm On Mar 13, 2017
NIGERIANS from all walks of life spoke with Naija Magazine Online (NMO) as the world commemorate the International Women’s Day, today, March 8.

The theme for this year is, ‘Be Bold For Change’ #BeBold4Change

Nigerians speak:

Dr Lola-Dare
Nigerian women rock! They have covered a lot grounds and have made progress in every sphere of live - in politics, enterprise, development and also on the home front. Keep rocking! Be BOLD! We build tomorrow day by day!

Dr. Boluwatife Lola-Dare
President, CHESTRAD
International/Global Director, I Will Give Africa

Ene Ede
As the world celebrates IWD, with the campaign theme Beboldforchange, this presents to all human beings the rare opportunity to clearly show they believe in the dignity of women and girls as humans who deserve to be honoured and celebrated. Rather than celebrate this year's event as a passing event as usual, concerted effort should be made to take more courageous steps to reduce all forms of violence, deprivations, marginalization and negligence against women and girls.

Ene Ede
Veteran Women’s Right Advocate

Jenny Chisom
The Nigerian woman is a case for in-depth classical study. This is because of her rare attributes and perception. She is resilient, tolerant, strong, supportive, industrious and understands how to make misery look like fun. She understand how to have fun too and never does that without exuberance and splashes of colour and laughter.

A Nigerian woman is genuine, selfless, ready and adaptable; she indeed deserves the biggest accolades as the "World's most interesting woman yet undiscovered".

I am proud to be a Nigerian woman and I celebrate women across the world today.

Jenny Chisom
Nigerian pioneer Men empowerment blogger
jennychisom.com

Evelyn Onyilo
Nigerian women have come a long and tortuous way in their quest for a better life. In a patriarchal society where customs and traditions grossly marginalise women, the Nigerian woman can best be described as a survivor. Against all odds women have made their mark in our national life. More girls are being enrolled in schools, even though there are cases of drop out and forced and early marriage. Gender based violence is being perpetrated on a daily basis.
As we celebrate the International Women's day there are many issues that must be addressed to have a just and egalitarian society we crave.

Girl child education should be given priority by providing free education for girls in public schools at primary and secondary school levels. Government at all levels should ensure the enforcement of the Violence Against Persons Prohibition Act. Maternal and child health should be adequately addressed with free health care services for pregnant mothers and children under five years of age.

On political participation, quotas should be put in place as recommended in Nigeria's National Gender Policy in all elective and appointive positions- 35% as a starting point.

A situation where half the population is left out of development is unacceptable and retrogressive. The National Assembly should as a matter of urgency pass the Gender and Equal Opportunities Bill to give women the necessary legislative backing in the protection of their rights and interests.

Like former American President Barack Obama puts it marginalising women is like playing a game of football with just half of the team, you can never win the game! We urge women in Nigeria and elsewhere to be bold and rise up and demand for their inalienable rights. Let's unite and take our rightful place in society. Happy women's day.

God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Evelyn Onyilo
President /Founder
Initiative for Women's Accelerated Development in Africa (INWOAD)

Charity Anaja
The theme for 2017 International Women's Day is #Be Bold For Change...as we celebrate the cultural, social, political, and economic achievements of women all over the world, we also make demands for a more gender inclusive world, a world where women, with the cooperation of men can achieve leadership in all spheres of operation and influence, be it the kitchen, the other room to the boardroom and decision making platforms...a purposeful collaboration where women are prepared for and given the opportunities to unleash their limitless potentials and add significantly add value to the society...

Charity Anaja
Head of Programmes, Paulash Community Development Initiative

Engr. Aisha Aliu Tafida
There is still a lot of grounds to cover for the Nigerian woman. This is the time to wake up and stand up for her rights. She should endeavor to economically empower herself and stop being dependent. We should focus on being self-reliant. Don’t despise any job – sell akara, sell chinchin, sell pure water, just do something to empower yourself.

The Nigerian woman is created strong, let’s exploit that potential. Women’s role in building society is crucial as women play vital role in child upbringing and home making. Without proper focus of a woman in the family, things may go bad.

Let’s get positive and do positive.

Engr. Aisha Aliu Tafida
Project Coordinator, Parents Against Drug Abuse (PADA)

(Nigerian women should)…be good pillars for our homes, family and uphold our nation in prayers so that we can see a better Nigeria.

Olaoluwapeju Arekete Akinseye
Caterer

This year calls for sober reflection by all the women, old and young, in all areas of life that concerns us, taking notes of things we have done well and sustaining them and to those we are not doing well looking through our strategic window to see how we can better address them.

It is a year that we will be grateful to be part of and a year of strategic behavioral change to areas we have seen that we are not doing well. The big question we have to ask ourselves as women is ‘how have we been able to carry out our nature given role in our home, community, state, and at the national level?

In our politics, how united are we in issues concerning womanhood and all that it stands for, do we play nonpartisan politics? Agreed we belong to different political platforms but we should be united to address the issues that unite us.

My perception is that whenever some of these women go to the House of Reps. or Senate, they lose the sense of where they are coming from. Outspoken ones like Ms Adike Dabiri who no longer is there is still creating impact, (example is the xenophobic attacks in SA).

What stops women in the House of Reps and Senate from staging a sit-down (protest) in the house for them to be heard. The same for the killings in the country.

Can a real woman stand the hardship of another or any other human? We have failed nature and we need to get back to nature. This year’s celebration should not be a time of extravagant celebration considering all the negatives that are around us.

Ms Ijeoma Nnaji
Executive Director
Youth Child Support Initiative

My wishes are that the Nigerian woman will understand that it takes more than a beautiful face to be a woman. You've got to add intelligence to the beauty. The Nigerian woman will realize that hard work and diligence pay. Most importantly that womanhood is a blessing and strength to our nation and homes and not a symbol of weakness.

Tope Ojoye Fakorode
Journalist

Grace Atim
As the world celebrates International Women's Day today, my thoughts on the Nigerian woman is of hope and faith in the mist of stereotypes, conflicts and vulnerability. This is the best time for all women to rise up to the challenges and demand for total inclusiveness in all aspects of development. Women voices should be brought to the table in our peace processes in line with the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325.

This is the best time to mentor and support one another to enable us achieve a peaceful and sustainable Nigeria where all our children will have access to qualitative and free education.

Grace Atim
Assistance Chief Research Officer

I wish for the women folks to know their place. In their career pursuit, the home front and the society as a whole. My wish for the woman is to know what womanhood is and how to go on being a better woman every day.

Joy Ojonile Agagwu
Joy Ojonile Agagwu
Registered Nurse/Midwife

Daughter Jack
The Nigerian Woman in my opinion has been able to hold her own. You can find her in professions hitherto tagged "Men Only!" She is more aware of her environment and making her contributions in nation building.

It's also in my opinion that she's forgetting her place in the home. For instance, there was this #wifenotcook all over the place. While I'm not saying a man can't cook for his wife when he's disposed to it, infact, that can be romantic if you ask me, but part of the bargain to being a wife is to cook. I believe she can be out there and make her voice heard (and still) be the woman she's meant to be around the home front.

Miss Daughter Jack
Host Couples Yellow Day (CYD)

The conception of a woman was carefully and skillfully planned by God. Women are wired with stick-to-it nature and that is why whatever you give to them is multiplied (good or bad), depending on the side of the coin you show them. Nigerian women as weapon of influence, should help to impact their circle of influence positively which will in turn impact the nation in general.

Christie Favour
Civil Servant

Nigerian women should Be Bold to embrace that Change needed to move them forward at home, in career and life in general! While sacrificing for others, it is time to think of themselves too!!!

Fola Richie-Adewusi

#Be Bold For Change means it's time for women to be bold, refuse to be limited in their mind and their spirits. For them to be bold and refuse to be limited by the chains of culture and discrimination. Be bold to rise and be all that God has called them to be. Be bold to rise and fulfil their potential. Be bold to dream, be bold to love themselves. Be bold to refuse abuse, and speak against violence. Be bold to exercise their rights and embrace life. Be Bold to Change.

Igbafe Oluseye

Matthew Oshioke Tsado
Kudos to the womenfolk....They've done tremendously well in the light of the perceived 'gags' around them. My advice however, is that as they embrace the tenets of modernization, civilization and urbanization, room must be created for our cultural heritage to thrive as this drives sustainable development!

Matthew Oshioke Tsado
Development Worker

Women should take the responsibility of making sure there is peace in the family and teach everyone around to always embrace peace. When there is peace in the home, it will reflect in the community and country at large.

Mozimo B Catherine

Ilias Aliyu
On this International Women's Day (IWD), I wish to pitch my tent with mothers, sisters, and daughters. I canvass for the solidification of the law against domestic violence against women. #Notodomesticviolence. 1 out of 4 women suffer domestic violence. Violence against women is an aberration on the society;

Domestic violence against women can be physical, sexual, emotional, economic, or psychological actions, or threats of actions that influence women against their wish. This includes behaviours that intimidate, manipulate, humiliate, isolate, frighten, terrorise, coerce, threaten, hurt, injure, or wound women.

Twenty eight percent (28%) of Nigeria women are suffering domestic violence. Sadly, a negative belief in some quarters in Nigeria, have it that it is socially acceptable to hit a woman, and discipline a spouse.
The most Common forms of violence against women in Nigeria, are rape, acid attacks, molestation, wife beating, corporal punishment, and homicide.

I choose to write on domestic violence, because of a neighbor who is fond of beating his wife to stupor. In return, the wife, one day, decided to face him, and ended up stabbing the husband. It was the nearest hospital that saved the man's life. The woman, on the other hand, is still regretting her action. Women living below poverty line, suffer domestic violence more.

You are a stakeholder and you should be concerned. I call on you! Yes, you, and the government at all levels, religious institutions, civil societies, and communities, to campaign against this menace, so that our women can #BeBoldForChange.

Ilias Aliyu
Consumer Protection Advocate

Safiya Akau
Today is all about unity,advocacy and action. Time we rise and #BeBold4Change.

Wishing you all a great day.#IWD2017

Safiya Akau
Media Personnel

What do you think? Kindly leave a comment or a reaction. Do you have a story? Please get in touch. Let’s also publicise your activities and promote your brand. Contact the Editor-in-Chief by naijamagazineonline@gmail.com Follow us on https://twitter.com/NaijaMagazineO https://www.facebook.com/NaijaMagazineO https://www.instagram.com/naijamagazineonline

(1) (Reply)

Graduate Stay-home Moms/dads, You Can Now Tutor Online And Earn Big At Home / He Is Likely To Hit You When He Is... - Bamisepeters' Blog / Fake School Live

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.