Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,180 members, 7,818,565 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? (7864 Views)

The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... / Why Can't Nigerians Teach Their Children Their Language? / Biafran Website, A Nation Falls Whenever They Lose Their Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 8:52am On Dec 18, 2009
I find it very disrespectful that in their midst, they'd be speaking yoruba not minding you can't understand what they are saying. They can gossip about you in that very moment and you won't know.

Imagine everyone laughing and smiling while you sit down like a dundee trying to figure out what the hell they are saying.

Before anyone comes out and say our Culture Mod is a tribalist, let me clarify that yes I'd rather not mix with ignorant yorubas, especially the ones that grew up in Nigeria.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by oyinda3(f): 8:54am On Dec 18, 2009
they probably didn't mean to be rude. all people do that. i'm sure u would do the same among your ishan friends.

1 Like

Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 8:56am On Dec 18, 2009
oyinda.:

they probably didn't mean to be rude. all people do that. i'm sure u would do the same among your ishan friends.

Even with my parents I speak English. That's just plain rude and it's more rampant among those who grew up in Nigeria. They have this local and razz attitude.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by oyinda3(f): 8:59am On Dec 18, 2009
michelin89:

Even with my parents I speak English. That's just plain rude and it's more rampant among those who grew up in Nigeria. They have this local and razz attitude.

some people are proud of, and feel more comfortable with their cultures and language u know?
just imagine chinese people. they do the same. It probably would feel awkward if they were speaking in english. if you have a nigerian name, you know how you pronounce it differently with the white people but when you meet ur nigerian mates, you pronounce it the right way because it would be awkward otherwise.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 9:02am On Dec 18, 2009
They can use it when among other yorubas, but they could at least be polite when with other tribes. That's why we have English as our lingua franca to make EVERYONE feel comfortable.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by oyinda3(f): 9:36am On Dec 18, 2009
michelin89:

That's why we have English as our lingua franca to make EVERYONE feel comfortable.

you mean "to make the ENGLISH SPEAKERS comfortable" grin If you went to france with your friend for example, would you start speaking french with her (even if ur french is bad or u feel more comfortable with english) so that the french people sitting next to you can be happy?

I know my parents wouldn't be comfortable with speaking english with me just because some american is around. that's just silly and awkward and uncomfortable for both of us. if the english people are annoyed, they should go learn yoruba.

1 Like

Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 9:40am On Dec 18, 2009
And thatz why I prefer yoruba-speaking Nigerians as close friends.

I feel more comfy speaking yoruba. And no, I dnt mean to be rude when I talk in yoruba. undecided
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Justcash(m): 10:32am On Dec 18, 2009
oyinda.:

some people are proud of, and feel more comfortable with their cultures and language u know?
just imagine chinese people. they do the same. It probably would feel awkward if they were speaking in english. if you have a nigerian name, you know how you pronounce it differently with the white people but when you meet your nigerian mates, you pronounce it the right way because it would be awkward otherwise.

The Chinese don't know how to speak English. That one is understandable.
If you are from another tribe,  in the midst of your Yoruba friends, It is simply rude for them to communicate (gist) in Yoruba language. We have both English and Pidgin English. If they feel that they need to communicate informally, they can speak Pidgin English. Except they don't want you to understand them. However, if you don't feel comfortable in their midst, Simply avoid them.
This is not only applicable to Yoruba people. Some Igbos, Hausas and other Nigerian tribes do it too.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by oyinda3(f): 11:03am On Dec 18, 2009
^ that's the most ignorant thing i've heard in a while. The chinese people I know speak english well. but when they are in each other's company, they only speak chinese.
that is the same for the europeans and middle easterners. when they are among each other, they converse in their language. and when they are speaking to americans or in the classroom, they use english.
of course if they want to include you in the convo, they'll use english but if they are speaking to each other, even in your presence, they'll use their language.

numerous times i've sat at tables with people of different nationalities and they speak their language to each other even in the non speakers presence. and when they are talking to you, they switch back to english.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by igboboy1(m): 11:26am On Dec 18, 2009
oyinda.:

^ that's the most ignorant thing i've heard in a while. The chinese people I know speak english well. but when they are in each other's company, they only speak chinese.
that is the same for the europeans and middle easterners. when they are among each other, they converse in their language. and when they are speaking to americans or in the classroom, they use english.
of course if they want to include you in the convo, they'll use english but if they are speaking to each other, even in your presence, they'll use their language.

numerous times i've sat at tables with people of different nationalities and they speak their language to each other even in the non speakers presence. and when they are talking to you, they switch back to english.

I am probably the biggest propagator of speaking ones language, But the key words are " in each others company" and " different nationalities".

We can all be the same nationality and yet speak different languages hence it is more polite to speak in a common language so as not to alienate the outlier in the group,
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by brooknam99: 12:00pm On Dec 18, 2009
Michellin wut u said don't even make no sense!we catch the same flak here from people that don't speak spanish!"Oh,its rude for u guys to speak spanish knwing that i/we don't undastand"!really?!ur kidding right?all 18 of us should switch just to satisfy ur english speakn a.ss?!that's why its called a freakn language!!!
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by oyinda3(f): 1:01pm On Dec 18, 2009
igbo boy:

I am probably the biggest propagator of speaking ones language,  But the key words are  " in each others company" and " different nationalities".

We can all be the same nationality and yet speak different languages hence it is more polite to speak in a common language so as not to alienate the outlier in the group,

replace nationality with ethnicity then. it's still the same.
michelin was referring to ppl abroad. I do agree with you that it can be annoying that you don't know what they're talking about but I try to put myself in their shoes too. All my friends are from many different ethnicities and nationalities so I've experienced this countless of times and i don't find it rude at all.

Think of it this way, something i notice is that they never speak english with each other!! very understandable because imagine your parents speaking english to each other!! awkward right?
so when you are speaking english with two yoruba friends, one of them is probably being alienated. because they won't be conversing with each other. They would both be conversing with you and vice versa.
usually most people don't notice that because we are selfish in nature and always think of ourselves and our comfort first rather than others. I came to realize this from experience of talking to many people from different ethnicities and nationalities and being really close friends with them. so i let them speak their language and i'm 100% happy with that.

also that's why people tend to stick with their cultures because of conflicts like this. everyone can't be happy either way. it's a win-lose situation. I personally think that only the most tolerant can befriend people of many cultures successfully.  You shouldn't always be thinking about your own comfort alone.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by igboboy1(m): 1:03pm On Dec 18, 2009
oyinda.:

. u just have to learn to be tolerant.

true dat, tolerance is key
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by tboy1(m): 1:14pm On Dec 18, 2009
Michelin89 and her topics

michelin89:

Before anyone comes out and say our Culture Mod is a tribalist, let me clarify that yes I'd rather not mix with ignorant yorubas, especially the ones that grew up in Nigeria

This coming from a MOD undecided

1 Like

Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by jaybee3(m): 1:17pm On Dec 18, 2009
It is def rude and the culprits usually do it on purpose. No excuse for it but such behaviour is not restricted to yorubas.
People of different race do it all the time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by AloyEmeka9: 4:14pm On Dec 18, 2009
oyinda.:

just imagine chinese people. they do the same. It probably would feel awkward if they were speaking in english. if you have a nigerian name, you know how you pronounce it differently with the white people but when you meet your nigerian mates, you pronounce it the right way because it would be awkward otherwise.

There is a big difference between being proud and being rude. What Michelin is complaining is very common among Yorubas. When the person complains, they always rebuff and ask why she cannot speak Yoruba. You will also notice it in Nairaland where someone will start blowing Yoruba in the middle of a thread where all and sundry are contributing. If your love for Yoruba is impeccable and you cannot accommodate any other language, why don't you speak Yoruba to the white people you meet in England or USA?. That is why Yorubas claim others trade their languages for English because they try to be accommodating when someone from another tribe is in their midst. Hausas love their language too as well as igbos but I haven't seen them force it on another who does not understand the language. Does it mean they are not comfortable with their language?
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by AloyEmeka9: 4:16pm On Dec 18, 2009
jay bee:

It is def rude and the culprits usually do it on purpose. No excuse for it but such behaviour is not restricted to yorubas.
People of different race do it all the time.

I don't think Yorubas do it on purpose tho. They do it on the erroneous belief that you ought to learn Yoruba if you don't understand it. Why they think other Nigerians should learn their language when many Yoruba kids cannot speak the same language beats me till this day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by AloyEmeka9: 4:21pm On Dec 18, 2009
oyinda.:

that is the same for the europeans and middle easterners.
when they are among each other, they converse in their language. and when they are speaking to americans or in the classroom, they use english.

You said 'each others company' but they will no do the same if they have a Japanese or Vietcong in their midst. I am not against Yorubas speaking their language in each other's company but the thread is about when the company is mixed up. Nigeria does not have a homogeneous culture unlike China so, Nigerians can be together yet they understand different tongues. An igbo person blasting igbo in your midst simply because they outnumber you will not sound funny to you because you will not follow their conversation and I am sure if they continue that habit, you will pass on that friendship in due course.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by debosky(m): 4:24pm On Dec 18, 2009
It's tough to get a balance - I am personally against speaking a language in the presence of anyone who doesn't understand it, but then again, some are more comfortable speaking their local language once they see a fellow tribesman and may not realise they are excluding someone from the discourse.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by THEAMAKA1: 4:28pm On Dec 18, 2009
i find that rude too when latinos start speaking spanish knowing no one else understands them.
and this is in the midst of others, they will start blasting their spanish.
ive always found that rude.
so i do see michelin's point.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Justcash(m): 5:26pm On Dec 18, 2009
oyinda.:

Unlike the Nigerians that has English as a National Language, The Chinese (That were born and bred in china) speak only Chinese, without a second language. If you hear them speaking English, they learnt it in schools that specially created and teaches English as a certificate course. Most of them start to learn it from their Teenage or Adult age. So, they tend to feel more comfortable communicating in Chinese than English. Nigerians from all the tribes start to learn English from nursery school. though it may be adulterated, We accept and nurture it as a Language, due to our cultural diversity. When a Group of Yorubas, who can comfortably speak either English or pidgin English decides to use vernacular in the midst of a Nigerian from another culture, Who can equally understand English or pidgin English, it is suspiciouse and awkward. Though it is not restricted only to Nigerians with Yoruba origin.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Justcash(m): 5:39pm On Dec 18, 2009
debosky:

It's tough to get a balance - I am personally against speaking a language in the presence of anyone who doesn't understand it, but then again, some are more comfortable speaking their local language once they see a fellow tribesman and may not realise they are excluding someone from the discourse.

True
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by AloyEmeka9: 5:46pm On Dec 18, 2009
debosky:

Even though some do it involuntarily, there are still many who purposely do it. How will you explain the ones here who blast Yoruba at the middle of a conversation?. Are they doing it because they did not realize they are excluding someone from the discourse?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by asha80(m): 6:17pm On Dec 18, 2009
This topic reminds me of an incident when i was doing my NYSC.

@poster

Yorubas born and brought up outside the south west do not behave like that.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nchara: 9:05pm On Dec 18, 2009
Precisely why they are poor in English, on the average. This is the truth. Get into a train/tram/bus in any European city where Nigerians live in number, all you hear is Yoruba Yoruba on the phone. We use to have a Nigerian meeting in Germany where I was the secretary (and later the president). We had to put a ban of 5 Euros on local languages during the meeting because of too much Yoruba language interrupting important discussions grin grin

Three of the Yoruba members resigned because they could not afford not to speak Yoruba in a gathering of other Nigerians. Shame.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Dec 18, 2009
The worst part is they use this method to carry rumours all around. Because you can't hear, you can't object and courtesy demands you smile when you are in a public gathering.

At a point I got upset and isolated myself physically. What was the point of standing there when I couldn't contribute to their conversation? And why should I bother myself to learn your language? Is your yoruba more important than my Esan? Please nor just go there with your tribal centrism. I don't owe any yoruba the effort to learn your language because it doesn't contribute a dime to my life.

I speak my English to contribute on NL, my Italian to school here, my Pidgin to laugh and joke with my fellow Nigerians and my Esan to speak when I am with my parents, so I don't need your yoruba.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by sjeezy8: 10:36pm On Dec 18, 2009
Broken english is, razzz and tooo local at times. Yoruba sounds sweeeeeet, but I wouldnt speak it around people who dont speak yoruba its impolite. all my non yoruba padies kno atleast some yoruba and I wouldnt mind learning their languages but they mostly have yoruba friends so . . . .

FL Gators:

And thatz why I prefer yoruba-speaking Nigerians as close friends.
I feel more comfy speaking yoruba. And no, I dnt mean to be rude when I talk in yoruba. undecided

lol hitler

Nchara:

Precisely why they are poor in English, on the average. This is the truth. Get into a train/tram/bus in any European city where Nigerians live in number, all you hear is Yoruba Yoruba on the phone. We use to have a Nigerian meeting in Germany where I was the secretary (and later the president). We had to put a ban of 5 Euros on local languages during the meeting because of too much Yoruba language interrupting important discussions grin grin

Three of the Yoruba members resigned because they could not afford not to speak Yoruba in a gathering of other Nigerians. Shame.

clown with all your lies ABOUT your education, jobs and what not lol

You need to get a job really because Im a student(with spaced out class times )and anytime im online youre online or posted hours before me, which tells me your not doing "kobo" with your ADULT LIFE.

Get a life and some pussie at your age you should be with your wife, instead of bashing other tribes and what not

michelin89:

The worst part is they use this method to carry rumours all around. Because you can't hear, you can't object and courtesy demands you smile when you are in a public gathering.

At a point I got upset and isolated myself physically. What was the point of standing there when I couldn't contribute to their conversation? And why should I bother myself to learn your language? Is your yoruba more important than my Esan? Please nor just go there with your tribal centrism. I don't owe any yoruba the effort to learn your language because it doesn't contribute a dime to my life.

I speak my English to contribute on NL, my Italian to school here, my Pidgin to laugh and joke with my fellow Nigerians and my Esan to speak when I am with my parents, so I don't need your yoruba.

Great so dont be friends with yorubas who speak yoruba around you SIMPLE and dont open up silly threads asking questions you already know the answer to.

Cause I wouldnt open threads asking why latinos speak spanish all the time, or why jamos speak patois because i dont give a Poo.

and you need a freakin psychiatrist

2 Likes

Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nchara: 10:47pm On Dec 18, 2009
Sjeazy8

You are a fool. I stay logged on most of the time and that does not mean I am sitting on my PC looking at NL webpages. At my level I am involved more in supervisory role and I have enough extra time to do stuff. You are a student, and so still way below me. Hahahahahaha!

If you as a student have spaced out time despite attending different classes, how much more a teacher who teaches just a few classes? Ode with small sense

Check out my stuff in the attachments here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-367028.64.html
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by THEAMAKA1: 11:39pm On Dec 18, 2009
michelin89:

i feel you on this one.
if all of us are discussing and all of a sudden the ones that know spanish carry on a conversation that you cant understand WHILE YOURE STANDING RIGHT THERE IS VERY RUDE!!
i know a little spanish though (if they talk slow) lolol
but i do find it rude though that they want to start discussing in their language while others are there.
ive even noticed this on NL too but never said anything.
it seems only the yorubas do this on NL. (and im not being tribalistic, its just what ive noticed)
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by Nchara: 11:41pm On Dec 18, 2009
THE.AMAKA:

i feel you on this one.
if all of us are discussing and all of a sudden the ones that know spanish carry on a conversation that you cant understand WHILE YOURE STANDING RIGHT THERE IS VERY RUDE!!
i know a little spanish though (if they talk slow) lolol
but i do find it rude though that they want to start discussing in their language while others are there.
it seems only the yorubas do this on NL. (and im not being tribalistic, its just what ive noticed)
uhm excuse me? she didnt say she didnt want to be friends with yorubas, she said she finds it rude that people start speaking it right there, knowing that she doesnt understand. ITS CALLED BEING RUDE. why should she stop being friends with them just because they dont have enough manners to just speak simple english? if anyone needs to "change" it should be them.

Stop wasting ur time with that rude boy Sjeazy8. He belongs in the gutters
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by THEAMAKA1: 11:48pm On Dec 18, 2009
thats why i modified my post.
no point, i dont care though.
its "whatever" to me.
Re: What Is It With The Yorubas And Their Language? by sjeezy8: 12:07am On Dec 19, 2009
THE.AMAKA:

it seems only the yorubas do this on NL. (and im not being tribalistic, its just what ive noticed

uhm excuse me? she didnt say she didnt want to be friends with yorubas, she said she finds it rude that people start speaking it right there, knowing that she doesnt understand. ITS CALLED BEING RUDE. why should she stop being friends with them just because they dont have enough manners to just speak simple english? if anyone needs to "change" it should be them.

I mean theyre not
[b]begging
for HER friendship so it shouldnt matter.
and on NL lol thats their own problem let them speak their language no one stops others from doing it. WHICH OTHERS DO!!!

THE.AMAKA:

thats why i modified my post.
no point, i dont care though.
its "whatever" to me.

Thats better cause no one cares if isans, ibos or urobos on the Nl speak their languages, so it shouldnt matter if a yoruba person does.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Afose Ati Olugbohun Todaju / Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? / Distasteful Dressing By Ghanaian Women In Public (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.