Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,082 members, 7,825,411 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News (2339 Views)

Premier League News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 10:48am On Mar 15, 2017
Get The Latest News And Actions Updated Every 24hrs In The English Premier League. www.premierleague.com

1 Like

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 11:32am On Mar 15, 2017
Morgan Scheiderlin; I LOST THE JOY OF FOOTBALL AT MANCHESTER UNITED

Former Manchester United Midfider Morgan Scheiderlin Has Admitted He Lost The Joy Of Playing Football At Old Trafford Under Jose Mourinho

He Spent Two Lukewarm Seasons Under Louis Van Gaal Before Being Offloaded To Everton By Mourinho.

Scheiderlin Who Failed To Make A Premier League Start Under The Portuguese Scored His First Everton Goal During A 3-0 Win Over West Brom Last Weekend.

"i Did Lost My Joy Of Football A Little Bit Because When You Don't Play With Freedom And Everything Is Very Hard; He Said.

Since I've Come Here The Manager Knows What I'm All About. He Placed Confidence In Me In The Past And He Has Done So Again It's A Joy To Wor With Him Everyday

We Will Wish Him Well....

1 Like

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 11:38am On Mar 15, 2017
KANE INJURY UPDATE:

The Injury Is Similar To The One Suffered By The Forward Against Sunderland In September Last Year, However, It Is Not Considered To Be As Severe.

Harry Will Continue To Be Assessed By Our Medical Staff While He Under Goes His Rebillitation At Our Training Center.

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 12:17pm On Mar 15, 2017
CHELSEA TRANSFER NEWS: Romelo Lukaku Unfinished Business Latest Blue Rumours..

Chelsea Are Reportedly Confident Of Bringing Romelo Lukaku Back To The Club This Summer After He Rejected A New Contract Offer From Everton, With The Strier Said To Feel As Though He Has "unfinished Business" With His Former Side.

The Blues Are Keen To Land Lukaku Despite Selling Him To The Toffees For E28 Million In The Summer Of 2014. It's Suggested They Had A E57 Milion Bid Rejected For The Belgium International Ahead Of The Current Campaign.

Lukaku's Decision To Reject Everton E140,000-a-week Deal Is Said To Have Given Chelsea Renewed Hope Of Getting A Deal Done.
Although Lukaku Has Apprently Made His Intentions To Leave The Toffess Clear, It's Suggested Any Club Would Have To Pay Around E75million To Praise Him Away From Goodison Park.
That's No Surprise Lukaku Is Currently The Joint Top Goal Scorer In The Premier League

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 6:13pm On Mar 15, 2017
'Chelsea fans lacked class and respect towards miracle worker Mourinho

Similarly to last October's Premier League win over United, Chelsea fans often jeered and baited their old boss.

Mourinho responded by holding up three fingers to represent the Premier League titles he won across his two spells at Stamford Bridge and after the match he declared he was still their number one, despite supporters thinking he was "Judas".

And Wilkins, formerly a Chelsea player and assistant manager as well as a United player, felt Mourinho was unfairly treated by the home fans.

"I just wish our Chelsea supporters, and I'm a Chelsea supporter, showed a little bit more class to Jose Mourinho," Wilkins said to Sky Sports.

"He is a good bloke but he is a football man, he wants his club to win. I just thought the other night against Manchester United they didn't show him the respect he merits.

"People will naturally be thinking: 'Hang on a second he was demonstrating stuff on the touchline against Chelsea'. Well, yes he was, but now he is employed by Manchester United.

"Chelsea relieved him of his post. If we actually remember what he has done for our club, and I say our club because I have been a Chelsea man since I was 10 and a half, he has worked miracles there.

"I think they [Chelsea fans] do [think he is still number one] if they are thinking about it logically and sensibly.

"There is no one that that can touch him at the moment. Jose will be number one until somebody wins as many trophies as Jose.

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 6:32pm On Mar 15, 2017
Samir Nasri watched Sevilla's defeat by Leicester on TV from the tunnel after being sent off

Samir Nasri may have been sent off in Sevilla's Champions League defeat by Leicester on Tuesday, but the Manchester City loanee opted against taking the proverbial 'early bath'.

Nasri was dismissed in the 74th minute for a second yellow card, after jutting his head in the direction of Jamie Vardy.

And after being restrained by his team-mates, and finally convinced to leave the field of play, the Frenchman didn't go far.

Instead of heading to the away dressing room at the King Power Stadium, Nasri sat near the tunnel to watch the remaining few minutes.

The midfielder was spotted, sitting in the tunnel's interview area, by former Premier League striker Jan Age Fjortoft, who was working for Norwegian TV.

While Nasri's vantage point was unusual, it does not appear to break any rules - the laws of the game state that 'a player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.'

The red card had come when Nasri, who had already been booked, lost his cool and approached Vardy during the second half of Sevilla's 2-0 defeat by the Premier League champions.

He was rightfully sent off as he moved his head towards Vardy before claiming he did not make contact with his opponent.

His Sevilla team-mates had to stop Nasri from causing more damage as he tried to confront Vardy.

Nasri, who is of Algerian descent, was also told to calm down by Algeria international Islam Slimani as he fumed following his dismissal.

The decision cost the Spanish side as they crashed out of Europe's prestigious competition after failing to score at the King Power.

Head loss for Samir Nasri as he has to be restrained after his sending off

Former Premier League star Steven N'Zonzi saw his penalty saved by Kasper Schmeichel after Wes Morgan and Marc Albrighton scored for Craig Shakespeare's side.

BT Sport pundits Steven Gerrard and Rio Ferdinand slammed Nasri for losing his head ahead of his 74th-minute sending off.

Gerrard said: 'You are on a second yellow, it’s stupid, amateur for a player of that experience.'

And Ferdinand added: 'It helped Sevilla that he went off, he was playing at testimonial pace, slowing everything down.'

Host Gary Lineker said it was 'petulant nonsense' as the Leicester fan celebrated his side's progression to the last eight.

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 6:36pm On Mar 15, 2017
Xhaka: My parents had nothing but their clothes

"When I have kids in the future, I want to tell them the story about how my parents grew up, how we grew up, and how it's two different worlds."

When Arsenal's Granit Xhaka was just a child, his parents fled their home to escape the war in Kosovo.

They went to Switzerland, where Xhaka went on to come through FC Basel's youth academy and started his journey to one of the Premier League's most successful clubs.

"They had nothing with them apart from their clothes, and they only knew these friends who worked there," Xhaka says in the video below. "It shows that when you work really hard and want to achieve something for your whole family, it can be done."

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 6:38pm On Mar 15, 2017
Arsenal receive huge injury boost ahead of West Bromwich Albion clash

Read more: http://goonertalk.com/2017/03/15/arsenal-receive-huge-boost-ahead-of-west-bromwich-albion-clash/#ixzz4bPvuepYA
Follow us: @GoonerTalk on Twitter | GoonerTalk on Facebook

Arsenal have received a major boost ahead of their fixture against West Bromwich Albion with both Danny Welbeck and Mohamed Elneny returning to training.

While Welbeck returns from an illness he suffered from during the UEFA Champions League round of 16 second-leg against Bayern Munich, Mohamed Elneny is in line to make his first appearance in almost a month, having picked up an injury in the FA Cup tie against Sutton United.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, though, is expected to miss out because of a minor knock picked up last week against Lincoln City. The England International has been a revelation in the midfield role for some time now and has emerged as a key part of the side.

Read more: http://goonertalk.com/2017/03/15/arsenal-receive-huge-boost-ahead-of-west-bromwich-albion-clash/#ixzz4bPw28h00
Follow us: @GoonerTalk on Twitter | GoonerTalk on Facebook

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 6:41pm On Mar 15, 2017
'Wenger is like Arsenal's Mugabe' - Fan's vicious attack goes viral

Opinion of the Frenchman appears to have hit a new low at the Emirates Stadium, as they prepare to end another season without major silverware

The campaign for Arsene Wenger to leave Arsenal has reached new levels, after a fan compared him to what Zimbabwe dictator Robert Mugabe has done to the country.

The Frenchman's reign at the Gunners has hit an all-time low, particularly following their 10-2 aggregate loss to Bayern Munich in the Champions League and subsequent exit at the last-16 stage.

Pressure has been mounting on long-serving Wenger to walk once his contract is up at the end of the season, as Arsenal only have the FA Cup to fight for this term.

And it appears another barren campaign has one particular supporter up in arms, with the unnamed producer of the video referencing Mugabe's 36-year reign over impoverished Zimbabwe.

“I used to live in Zimbabwe and I’ve watched Robert Mugabe ruin the country, and Wenger is doing the same. He’s the Mugabe of Arsenal," he lashed out in a video published online.

Wenger's 21-year spell as Gunners manager is now in serious question despite his success in north London, as he has failed to lead the club to a Premier League trophy since 2004.

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 6:44pm On Mar 15, 2017
Manchester United: Paul Pogba targeted by 'envious' critics, Jose Mourinho says

Recent criticism of Paul Pogba is motivated by "envy", and those targeting the midfielder do so because they "need every coin to survive", says Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho.

Pogba, 24, re-signed with United for a world-record £89m fee from Juventus in August, having left for £1.5m in 2012.

The midfielder's performances have at times come under fire this season.

"It is not his fault that some pundits are in real trouble while Paul is a multi-millionaire," Mourinho said.

"I feel that the world is losing values and I am scared about the level of envy coming in. It is not Paul's fault that he gets 10 times the money some players did in the past," the Portuguese added.

"Paul reached the top and nobody gave him anything. I am really worried about the way things are going with previous generations. Envy is everywhere."

Pogba, who has scored seven goals and provided five assists in 40 matches this term, was outshone by N'Golo Kante in United's 1-0 FA Cup quarter-final defeat at Chelsea on Monday.

After the game, former Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard said Kante was the "best central midfielder in the world", while ex-England captain and BBC pundit Alan Shearer said: "I think you are looking at the Football Writers' Player of the Year and the Players' Player of the Year."

Speaking before United play their second leg against Rostov in the Europa League last 32 on Thursday, Mourinho said he was "very happy" with Pogba's performances.

"The best thing is that because of his personality he doesn't give an ass to what people say about him," he added.

United drew the first leg in Russia 1-1.

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 6:50pm On Mar 15, 2017
Ward-Prowse revels in new role

James Ward-Prowse is enjoying his wide role in Claude Puel's 4-2-3-1 formation after the Saints boss implemented a new system.

Ward-Prowse has been asked to play on the right side of the three in midfield, with instant success after two wins in succession. The England Under-21 international is always trying to develop his game and feels he has the faith of the Frenchman to continue in the position. "We did well to adapt to playing every three days," he told the club's official website. "We have to use this time to regenerate and get some rest in ahead of what’s going to be an important end to the season and a very busy one. "The new position has been good. It’s a different role for me but I think it’s positive as I’m learning a new position and the manager has put faith in me to play there. "I’m learning all the time in each game which is important and I feel like I’m growing into the role.

"It’s been nice to get a good run in the team."

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 6:53pm On Mar 15, 2017
Manchester United join Chelsea in the hunt for Celtic's Moussa Dembele

Manchester United are the latest big club to seriously monitor Celtic prodigy Moussa Dembele, and could well give Chelsea competition for his signature in the summer.

The 20-year-old French underage international has earned a lot of praise for his performances for the Scottish champions this season, as well as a lot of interest from top clubs who are now watching him more intent and more scrutiny.

Chelsea are understood to have been contemplating a bid at the end of the January window and, although manager Antonio Conte publicly denied they had made an offer at that point, they could well return in the summer.

Celtic would want at least £30m for Dembele, who has scored 32 goals in 45 games this season - including five in the Champions League - and their negotiating hand would be strengthened if United made their interest concrete.

As reported by The Independent last week, the Old Trafford club are re-assessing their striking options, since it is now seen as far from certain that Antoine Griezmann will join in the summer.

The Atletico Madrid star has actually been “deprioritised” as a target, having previously been their primary close-season objective, due to the difficulty of doing a deal.

While Dembele would not be considered as a direct alternative to Griezmann due to his youth, and United do want to sign a marquee name, he is seen as someone who could not only have exactly that kind of status in the future but also contribute a lot of goals and energy to the team in the present.

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 6:56pm On Mar 15, 2017
United will give everything for Champions League return - Fellaini.

Manchester United are determined to beat Rostov and boost their hopes of returning to the Champions League, Marouane Fellaini has said.

Marouane Fellaini says Manchester United will give "everything" to secure a return to the Champions League, starting by reaching the Europa League quarter-finals.
Jose Mourinho's side meet Rostov at Old Trafford in a good position to reach the last eight, having secured a 1-1 draw in the first leg last week.
United are locked in a tense battle to finish in the top four of the Premier League this season, as they lie in sixth place in the table and six points adrift of fourth-place Liverpool, although they have two games in hand.
With victory in the Europa League final in May perhaps offering their most realistic route of a return to Europe's top competition, Fellaini is determined to respond to Monday's FA Cup exit at the hands of Chelsea with a victory on Thursday.

"Monday was a hard game for us at Chelsea - 10 players for one hour," Fellaini told a news conference. "It was difficult to win the game. But we lost, now we look forward. It is important we win the game.
"It was a long trip [back from London] but we are professional. We know how to recover. We trained a little bit yesterday, a nice recovery. We will be ready.
"All the players, staff and supporters want to be in the Champions League next season so we will do everything to be there. We have the squad and the players, we are confident. Everyone will see that against Rostov. We are confident.
"We have played good teams in Europe. In the Premier League, every game is tough. Every game is difficult. We have to take it game by game.
"We have had a lot of games, played all the competitions but all the players are ready to play. We have good fitness, we have good staff, a good recovery department so we are all ready. That's football - to play a lot of games."

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 7:04pm On Mar 15, 2017
Monaco v Manchester City (agg 3-5) UEFA Champions League LIVE: Plus Atletico Madrid v Bayer Leverkusen (agg 4-2) - the last-16 as it happens

Leicester City are already through now Manchester City will be hoping to make it two Premier League sides in the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League when they visit Monaco.

Pep Guardiola's side boast a 5-3 aggregate lead following a thrilling first leg at the Etihad Stadium and only need to avoid defeat by more than a goal to be certain of a place in the last eight at the expense of the French league leaders.

Elsewhere Atletico Madrid also boast a two-goal advantage when they host Bayer Levrkusen in the hope of joining fellow La Liga outfits Real Madrid and Barcelona in the quarter-finals. Follow all the action as it happens.

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 7:09pm On Mar 15, 2017
Bruno Martins Indi says he wants to stay at Stoke as talks open over a permanent deal

Bruno Martins Indi is hoping to make his loan move to Stoke permanent in the summer.

The defender joined the Potters on a season-long deal from Porto in August and has started every game since .

Now Martins Indi, 25, has revealed he is in talks with the club over his future, saying: "We are talking to each other, the club and me. I have the intention to stay. We want to see what is going to happen.

"I was following Stoke City before I was here and I knew the way the manager wants to play.

"He gave me a lot of confidence to come here and he trusted me. (I'm) happy that I could give him that back."

Stoke have kept three clean sheets in their last four games and are on track for a fourth consecutive top-10 Premier League finish.

And Martins Indi has been at the heart of the Potters' recent defensive stability, with the Portuguese defender having become indispensable to Mark Hughes during his time at the club.

The West Midlands side currently sits ninth in the Premier League table, with Chelsea set to visit the Britannia Stadium on Saturday.

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 10:29pm On Mar 15, 2017
Zaha's wide threat to test Watford

Following a superb solo effort in Crystal Palace’s 2-0 win over West Bromwich Albion, Wilfried Zaha (£5.6m) can again be a source of Fantasy Premier League points in Gameweek 29's meeting with Watford.

The winger had endured a quiet period prior to his goal at The Hawthorns, failing to score in four appearances upon returning from the Africa Cup of Nations.

But with five goals and eight assists Zaha has racked up 104 FPL points, 16 more than any other Crystal Palace player.

Of Palace's 35 goals this season he has scored or assisted 13 (37%) of them.

Although seven assists and two of his goals arrived in an inspired run between Gameweeks 9-15, he could again emerge as a key differential following back-to-back 2-0 victories.

Watford arrive at Selhurst Park on Saturday having won two of their last 12 matches.

In Gameweek 28 they slipped to a 4-3 defeat to Southampton, as both Dusan Tadic (£7.0m) and Nathan Redmond (£5.8m) produced double-figure hauls.

Encouragingly for managers considering Zaha, no Premier League side have conceded more goals than Watford (eight) over their respective last four matches.

The Hornets have also looked vulnerable down their right flank during those four encounters. They have allowed 24 chances from that side of the pitch, a tally matched only by Stoke City.

Having started the previous two matches on the left, Zaha’s speed and trickery looks primed to take advantage of that apparent weakness.

Palace have found form to coincide with a testing run of fixtures, with away trips to Chelsea and Southampton to follow Watford’s visit.

But there are other promising home match-ups on offer; Leicester City, Burnley and Hull City are all still due at Selhurst Park.

As FPL managers reassess their squads because of suspension to Zlatan Ibrahimovic (£11.4m) and injury to Harry Kane (£11.4m), a shift to 3-5-2 looks a viable option.

That formation allows for the acquisition of at least one differential option in midfield, and Zaha’s modest 5.6% ownership makes him a likely candidate.

With proven output earlier in the season and renewed confidence and form, Zaha is an option worth exploring for Gameweek 29 and beyond.

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 10:34pm On Mar 15, 2017
Man City post worst Champions League first half after failing to have a single shot

Pep Guardiola's men risk seeing their last-16 Champions League tie spin out of control and will need to react in attack fast to overturn the 2-0 score

Manchester City have not attempted a single shot in the first half of their Champions League last-16 second-leg clash against Monaco - the first time they have failed to do so in the competition.

Pep Guardiola's men enter the break trailing by two goals - putting Monaco level in terms of an aggregate scoreline of 5-5 but in the advantage owing to away goals - despite the hosts being unable to count on the injured Radamel Falcao.

The best chance City may have had fell to Kevin De Bruyne who threatened to burst through and go one-on-one against Danijel Subasic before the half-hour mark, were it not for the superb intervention of Andrea Raggi.

It is a surprising turn of events given the form Leroy Sane and Sergio Aguero were in going into the game at Stade Louis II, with many expecting them to ruthlessly cut open the Ligue 1 leaders as they did in their 5-3 win in the first-leg.

The Premier League outfit now have it all to do as they attempt to secure a vital away goal in the final 45 minutes that would all but put the destination of the tie out of question.

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 10:37pm On Mar 15, 2017
Liverpool target Inaki Williams shoots so hard he knocks out Athletic Bilbao team-mate

Athletic Bilbao goalkeeper Alex Remiro is recovering after being rushed to hospital following an incident in training.

The 21-year-old was caught in the head by a powerful shot from striker and Liverpool target Inaki Williams that left him unconcious.

The club's third-choice keeper, who is yet to make his senior debut for the side, was being observed on Wednesday after being struck by the ball.

In a statement, Bilbao said: The tests carried out have not revealed any significant injury.

Remiro also tweeted following the incident: "Thank you to everyone for your messages of support, I will be fighting back on the pitch. Come on Athletic!"

Club doctors were required on the scene after the former Spain U19 international was stretchered from the field during Wednesday's training session.

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 10:41pm On Mar 15, 2017
Man Utd man celebrates Monaco’s winner vs Man City

Manchester United striker Anthony Martial took to his Twitter account to celebrate Monaco’s winning goal against Manchester City in tonight’s Champions League last-16 second leg.

Tiemoué Bakayoko headed the French side into a 3-1 lead on the night, which levelled the score at 6-6 on aggregate and put Monaco in position to go through on away goals after scoring three at the Etihad Stadium in the first leg.

Former Monaco player Martial was among those to enjoy his old team regaining the initiative against his new team’s neighbours.

Martial wrote: “Oui Baka!!!”

Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 6:39am On Mar 16, 2017
Today News 16th March 2017......
Re: The Official Premier League News Thread. Read Daily Epl News by joenasmart7(m): 6:40am On Mar 16, 2017
Today News 16th March, 2017........

(1) (Reply)

Download Highlights From Yesterday Champions League Games. / Liverpool Vs Queens Park Rangers (1 - 0) On Saturday 10th December 2011 / UCL: Barcelona Vs Benfica (0 -0) On 5th December 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.