Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,569 members, 7,820,049 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

When You Can't Differentiate Between Passion And Profession. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When You Can't Differentiate Between Passion And Profession. (550 Views)

Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? / Which Profession Do You Think Has The Most Rude Set Of People? / Man Shares How His Wife Who Is An Architect Suffers Sexism In Her Profession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

When You Can't Differentiate Between Passion And Profession. by Digriz(m): 11:47am On Mar 17, 2017
I was discussing with my younger brother who just graduated recently from school and he's on job market from my point of view, but i just discovered after a chat with him that he's facing a difficult challenge in choosing a career.
His challenge is that the course he studied in higher institution is not what he likes and he doesn't have any passion for it. It was as a result of JAMB issues that he ended up taking the course but he actually loves another but there is nothing he can do about it since age is no longer on his side. We ended our chat in a positive way at least i gave him some encouragement and motivation which i think he never came across before,and he was really happy and ready to move on with a positive mind.
What is the difference between passion and profession? Can they not be the same? Shouldn’t they be? This question mystified me as I was growing up. Why doesn’t everyone pursue their passion as their field of study or work? It seemed an obvious choice to make. As I grew older and wiser (possibly), I realized that one does not always have a choice in the matter. i myself ended up pursuing profession because of the bills it pays for me but i don't like my present profession actually. I cannot even combine the two because i would find it difficult since they are both demanding jobs that requires absolute concentration and dedication including time.i wish i could just turn back the hand of the clock ten years back,i would just choose my passion. cry
Let me try to put it in this way. Anyone who says that they enjoy the work that they do, deep down they know that they are lying. Passion is something that you love doing that helps you enjoy your life. Profession,no matter how u package it or sugarcoat it, pays the bills. No one truly enjoys their profession, no matter if that person is a banker,footballer,taxi driver, doctor etc, it doesn't matter. True a footballer became a footballer because he/she loves the sport, true a taxi driver became a taxi driver because he/she loves driving, however do they enjoy doing it day in and day out almost 24 hours a day? I do not think so. Its only when they retire do they rediscover their passion for that particular activity.
So all said and done, passion brings you peace and happiness and a satisfaction that cannot be explained while profession, well it pays the bills.Passion can be your profession but profession may not be your passion only on few cases.

Have a great day! smiley

(1) (Reply)

Obtain Professional Certificate On Sales And Marketing Management / 6 Major Advantages Of An E-commerce Business / Shocking Things Makeup Artists Can Do With Effect Makeup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.