Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:28 AM

Top 5 Traditional Dances In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Top 5 Traditional Dances In Nigeria (12533 Views)

Five Interesting Traditional Dances From Eastern Nigeria / Alaafin Of Oyo Dances At World Sango Festival Day Celebration (Photos) / Top 6 Traditional Dances The Igbo Tribe Is Known For [photos & Videos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 5 Traditional Dances In Nigeria by leederrty1997: 11:07am On Mar 20, 2017
Nigeria is made up of over 250 tribes which all have their peculiar cultures and traditions of which dance is among. The cultural or traditional dances of Nigerian tribes are used for so many purposes which include: unifying the members of a tribe; telling folktales or the history and traditions of a community; showcasing the wealth and strength of a tribe; celebrating; performing religious duties; entertaining and so on. Below is OldNaija‘s compilation of probably the best and most entertaining traditional dances from selected Nigerian tribes.

1. The Ekombi Dance– The Ekombi dance is peculiar to theEfik people of Calabar, Cross River state. It is a beautiful and entertaining dance in which maidens are dressed in multi-coloured attires sewn in a mini skirt and blouse form which exposes their tummy. The maidens are also decorated with beads of different colours and sizes. TheEkombi dancers whine gracefully to the rhythmical beats of the Efik drummers in the movement of ocean tides. The Ekombi dance of the Efik people shows the beauty and maturity of a woman.

2. The Nkwa-Umu-Agbogho Dance– This dance has its feet among the people of Eboyin State. The Nkwa-Umu-Agbogho dance is also known as ‘maidens dance‘ because it is specifically meant for ladies who have just become ripe for marriage. This dance involves vigorous twisting of the chest and waist in a seductive way so as to attract suitors. The ‘maiden dance’ also help younger girls to abstain from pre-marital sex.

3. The Bata Dance– The Bata dance is one of the traditional or cultural dances of the Yoruba people of south western Nigeria. This dance is associated with Sango, the Yoruba god of thunder who was said to be athletic during his days. However, the bata dance remains incomplete without beats from the bata drum- a set of three drums namely: Iya-Ilu, Itotele and Okokonlo. Bata dance is very entertaining as different moves and stunts are performed during the dance. Bata dance is for both male and female in Yoruba land.

4. The Koroso Dance– The Koroso dance originated among the Fulani and Kano people of Kano State, Nigeria. The Kosoro dance, a name derived from the rattle fastened to the legs of Koroso dancers, is a mixture of movements from the traditional dances of the Fulanis and Hausa people of Kano. Usually, the Koroso dancers perform in pairs, sometimes assisting each other to achieve impossible shapes, sometimes striving individually to outdo the other. It is such a beautiful and entertaining dance!

5. The Swange Dance– The Swange dance is a recreational and entertaining dance performed together by Tiv men and women of Benue State, Nigeria. This dance is performed in important gatherings or during festivals. The movement of the Swange dance can be slow, fast or rhythmic all rendering the dancers shaking vigorously; this thus make the Tiv people call the Swange dance “boneless dance”. Swange dance is accompanied by beats with beautiful rhythm and a traditional horn called ‘Al-Gaita‘ which is blown throughout the dance session.

Source: https://oldnaija.com/2017/02/08/top-5-traditional-dances-in-nigeria/

Re: Top 5 Traditional Dances In Nigeria by Nne5: 11:10am On Mar 20, 2017
No pictures?
The only dance I know is Egwu ukwu
Re: Top 5 Traditional Dances In Nigeria by leederrty1997: 11:21am On Mar 20, 2017
Nne5:
No pictures?

The only dance I know is Egwu ukwu
Re: Top 5 Traditional Dances In Nigeria by TheSonOfMark(m): 5:55pm On Mar 20, 2017
Almost instinctively, I knew the famed 'Ekombi'dance would top the list. You have to give it to the Akwa-Cross people. Beautiful dance steps. The gentle flow of undulating body parts; the right balance struck between obscene eccentricity and graceful swaying. You can't help but be enthralled by the almost synchronized steps to the light tapping of drums and melodious song renditions. And the females? Heavily beaded on every limb and waist, they lure you to imitate them like master puppeteers.

OP, there's also the ' Mbre ntuk abaikpa'which is roughly translated as "Performing arts of young girls". Not as famed and graceful as the Ekombi but nonetheless, it's a sight to behold.

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Traditional Dances In Nigeria by leederrty1997: 6:14pm On Mar 20, 2017
TheSonOfMark:
Almost instinctively, I knew the famed 'Ekombi' dance would top the list. You have to give it to the Akwa-Cross people. Beautiful dance steps. The gentle flow of undulating body parts; the right balance struck between obscene eccentricity and graceful swaying. You can't help but be enthralled by the almost synchronized steps to the light tapping of drums and melodious song renditions. And the females? Heavily beaded on every limb and waist, the lure you to imitate them like master puppeteers.

OP, there's also the ' Mbre ntuk abaikpa' which is roughly translated as "Performing arts of young girls". Not as famed and graceful as the Ekombi but nonetheless, it's a sight to behold.
Beautiful words. You must be a poet! Can you brief me on how it is performed? I mean Mbre ntuk abaikpa.
Re: Top 5 Traditional Dances In Nigeria by TheSonOfMark(m): 8:53pm On Mar 20, 2017
leederrty1997:

Beautiful words. You must be a poet! Can you brief me on how it is performed? I mean Mbre ntuk abaikpa.
It's better experienced than imagined but I'd try to project one of such scenarios on your mind.

Imagine girls between the ages of 7 and 14 singing in unison, all decked in two-pieced attires of colourful African print wrappers, backs bent and feet moving to the frenzied beats emanating from local drums. Not for a second do they take their eyes of each other but they are conscious enough to the cheering wall of people surrounding them that they beam smiles and do a routine dance acknowledgement when you're moved enough to gift them monetary appreciation.

The music? The music is beautiful! Not mindless, rhythmic ramblings but meaningful words you can relate to. It's like a tell-it-all sing-song. The gossips making the rounds in the community are even fused into the songs.

The last time I witnessed one was 6 years ago in my hometown but it's still as vivid as a starlit sky on a cloudless night.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Traditional Dances In Nigeria by leederrty1997: 10:06pm On Mar 20, 2017
TheSonOfMark:

It's better experienced than imagined but I'd try to project one of such scenarios on your mind.

Imagine girls between the ages of 7 and 14 singing in unison, all decked in two-pieced attires of colourful African print wrappers, backs bent and feet moving to the frenzied beats emanating from local drums. Not for a second do they take their eyes of each other but they are conscious enough to the cheering wall of people surrounding them that they beam smiles and do a routine dance acknowledgement when you're moved enough to gift them monetary appreciation.

The music? The music is beautiful! Not mindless, rhythmic ramblings but meaningful words you can relate to. It's like a tell-it-all sing-song. The gossips making the rounds in the community are even fused into the songs.

The last time I witnessed one was 6 years ago in my hometown but it's still as vivid as starlit sky on a cloudless night.
This alluring image you have created in my mind is enough even if I'll never ever have the opportunity to see a live performance. But I'll try my best. It's beautiful, really beautiful! Nigeria is blessed with rich and fascinating cultures. I'll try making more researches so as to write an article on the dance and publish it on my blog. Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Igbo / Traditional Wedding Rights And Process In Igede Land, Benue State Nigeria / English Words And The Yoruba Translations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.