Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,416 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

As A Self-published Author, How Do You Build An Audience Of Die Hard Readers? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / As A Self-published Author, How Do You Build An Audience Of Die Hard Readers? (671 Views)

Dear Nairalanders, As An Author, How Can I Sell My Books Online / Google Celebrates Nigerian Author - Flora Nwapa / Michelle Nkamankeng, The Youngest Published Author In Africa (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As A Self-published Author, How Do You Build An Audience Of Die Hard Readers? by ekaromail: 11:09am On Mar 20, 2017
So, I have had people reach out to me both on Whatsapp, Email and Facebook. They usually go like "hey sis. I see you o. I want to publish my ebook(s) on Okadabooks and be like Sally. Will it sell well?".

And I'm like, "Chineke mo! Who is this again?" (Drags glasses down). All in my head sha.

Anyway, the person goes on and on about how he/she has undying passion for writing and think the piece(s) they've just completed is a hit! If dropped on any online store, Okadabooks especially, people will rush up and buy, parting with their hard earned money.

When they go on and on like that, I'm impressed. Sorry. Used to be impressed. At least until I found out that the weed they've been smoking isn't cheap at all. grin No pun intended.

Any way, I used to let them go on and on before asking, "what's the name of your blog?"

Well, since you believe your book should hit bestseller list, I assume you have a blog with huge traffic and dedicated readers ready to part with their hard earned money to buy your ebook(s) as soon as it goes live. So imagine the disappointment when they reply with, "I don't have a blog".

"You don't have a what?"

"Errrmmm.. well, I'm too busy. Blogs take a lot of time to manage. I don't have that time. Besides, it's stressful and time consuming".

Some others say, I have a blog. I ask for the link and when I visit, I see it was last updated a year ago. There's practically no activity on the blog, just Charlotte doing some writings with her web for Wilbur. Yeah it is as interesting as a grave yard.

Then there are those who use their blogs as news sites. Nothing about the soon to be released book can be found on the blog. Bullshit!!

I say well, what about a Facebook page. None. They don't have any. Those who have are promoting the latest gossip from Linda Ikeji's blog or Nairaland. Even your personal social media accounts are used to follow celebrities and re-tweet or repost all their updates. Nothing about you being a writer is seen in your profile. Nothing about your new book is mentioned.

Yes. Some try to promote a few times on their social handles and even extend to groups. Afterwards, they stop. Why? Because they are not getting results. No one is buying. The foundation they laid for marketing is zero. And frustration is having a good time listening to Sia's "Elastic Heart" with them and laughing.

See the entire post here http://discuss.okadabooks.com/t/as-a-self-published-author-how-do-you-build-an-audience-of-die-hard-readers/488

Please, only for those who really want to learn.
Re: As A Self-published Author, How Do You Build An Audience Of Die Hard Readers? by BushBiafranBoy: 11:12am On Mar 20, 2017
Nice

1 Like

Re: As A Self-published Author, How Do You Build An Audience Of Die Hard Readers? by ekaromail: 6:19pm On Mar 21, 2017
The post has been updated. Authors! Want to know how to build your audience? Read below

Building your Audience (2)

People are making money, money and more money just from writing and blogging. But how? Why is my own blog not making money as much as the others are? What I'm I doing wrong?

I have asked that question several times, and I'm sure you have too.

Let me tell you about my ex. Yes. My ex. I still wonder what he did to get me hooked in the first place.

You see. He was so pissed with my passion and hard decision to face writing.

"You want to be a writer? Are you serious? Because of what now? What sort of laziness is this?"

He told me to go take professional courses, brush up my CV and get a bomb of a job with companies like Shell, Oando, etc... Heck! If I could even get a job at Skynet that would have made him more happy than a stupid, good for nothing, poor paying job. Writing? He cringed.

My ex didn't directly say it, but he subtly made it clear, "no good paying job, no marriage".

Visit discuss to read the complete post. Hit the link below

http://discuss.okadabooks.com/t/as-a-self-published-author-how-do-you-build-an-audience-of-die-hard-readers/488/4
Re: As A Self-published Author, How Do You Build An Audience Of Die Hard Readers? by ekaromail: 6:54pm On Mar 22, 2017
sleeqiam:

Thank you very much. I'm working on straightening it out and the blog will soon move to it's own domain. Once again, thank you very much.

You're welcome.
Re: As A Self-published Author, How Do You Build An Audience Of Die Hard Readers? by ekaromail: 12:03pm On Mar 23, 2017
The thread has been updated. See below.

Survey, Content, Traffic

"Stop conforming and start thinking of new ideas. I seriously doubt that your competitors are setting the standard for what content marketing should look like in your industry. Focus on doing something different and don't fall into the trap of we do it this way because we've always done it this way.

And don't just stop at sounding different actually be different. You might be able to pull your target audience in if you're creating awesome content, but the substance behind the content is what'll make them stick around long-term". (Except from 'Is Fear Holding You Back From Content Marketing Success?' by Jorden Roper. Posted on ClearVoice).

A friend brought Ruzu Bitters(herbal drink) to my home yesterday. Damn! The thing is dead bitter. Even bitter leave tastes better. I'm serious.

However, when it comes to health issues, people want quick recovery and believe me, they don't mind paying for it (recovery). That means they will pay for any product that will heal them.

The reason why I ignore the extreme bitter taste of Ruzu and still choose it over bitter leave is content. Simple.

Long before now, people have used bitter leave to treat all kinds of ailment. But the result doesn't come as fast as they'd want.

But with Ruzu, the change is almost immediate. It is the valuable content in the drink that makes it sell like pure water.

The content treat a lot of ailments and keep the user constantly healthy.

You probably have heard a lot of people throw around these words, "content is king" or "content is bae".

Before we go further on content, let us look at the two types of blogging Modules, according to Yaro Starak.

1. The magazine module

2. The expert module

The magazine module is mostly used by news and gossip blogs.

Click to finish reading the post
http://discuss.okadabooks.com/t/as-a-self-published-author-how-do-you-build-an-audience-of-die-hard-readers/488/7
Re: As A Self-published Author, How Do You Build An Audience Of Die Hard Readers? by ekaromail: 4:39pm On Mar 24, 2017
The last part has been posted

Part 4

Email listing

Trade by barter has been on going since the days of our forefathers.

Give me what I want, I'll give you want you want. Then everyone is happy.

The above is the idea used in email listing.

But why emails, when I can simply run ads on facebook or do some blog tours or book reviews?

Let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time, a group of writers came together to execute a plan that, looking back now, if well executed, would boost everyone's writing career.

Hit the link to finish reading and get the free pdf of the entire post

http://discuss.okadabooks.com/t/as-a-self-published-author-how-do-you-build-an-audience-of-die-hard-readers/488/10

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Love Prose (to The Lady In Love) / The Guy With Twelve Fingers And Twelve Toes / I Need Some Articles ASAP! Thanks GOT enough applicants. Don't Apply Again Ooo!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.