Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,736 members, 7,824,084 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten (9867 Views)

I Just Bought This Dog On Sunday And I Dont Know It Breed Or What To Feed Her / Need Help On What To Feed My Caucasian Shepard For Weight Gain. / How Many Times Do I Feed A Dog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by fratermathy(m): 6:13pm On Mar 20, 2017
Hello all,

I recently got a 4 weeks old kitten but I don't know exactly what to feed it with. It won't take solid at all and it seems Cowbell milk gives it diarrhoea as it purged when I gave it to him.

All cat experts should help me out please. What can I feed a kitten and how do I make him eat? I don't want him to starve to death with me.

I even searched online and I saw that KMR is what is used in the USA but all the pet shops I called don't have it and it's not available on Konga.

I anticipate useful suggestions. Below is a picture of Spooky, the kitten. It doesn't eat anything unless I force feed it and when I did with Cowbell milk, it was a hell of a mess for me. I don't even know how to stop the diarrhoea.

Cc:
Seun
Fynestboi

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by fratermathy(m): 6:17pm On Mar 20, 2017
CassieV
Blasiangurl85
Doeying
Smartcet
Lalasticlala
Panzerfaust
Qaiser5
HardMirror
Lemmings
Kennylawal
Prodeegee
Xerxesng
Delioncourt
Biafranbushboy
Maballack
Rookidmart
Jerrykho
Kllinxman
Joe171
Mckandre
Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by GogetterMD(m): 6:28pm On Mar 20, 2017
Cowbell milk contains a lot of milk sugar. Try evaporated milk, and also fried fish. They love it

1 Like

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by fratermathy(m): 6:29pm On Mar 20, 2017
GogetterMD:
Cowbell milk contains a lot of milk sugar. Try evaporated milk, and also fried fish. They love it

Thank you.!

Will it be able to take fried fish? It doesn't show interest at all in any solid food.

I'll try getting evaporated milk to see how it goes. Which brand do you recommend?
Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by GogetterMD(m): 6:37pm On Mar 20, 2017
fratermathy:

Thank you.!

Will it be able to take fried fish? It doesn't show interest at all in any solid food.

I'll try getting evaporated milk to see how it goes. Which brand do you recommend?
Hollandia, Oldenburger etc (the one litre packs)
Don't underestimate the smell of the fried fish grin

3 Likes

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by BoleAndFish: 6:39pm On Mar 20, 2017
Cc: Immorttal

1 Like

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by Immorttal: 7:39pm On Mar 20, 2017
Dried fish, fish sauce like geisha, they love it die. Try some powdered milk with dry food.

1 Like

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by rookidmart: 7:43pm On Mar 20, 2017
OP, like the posters above said, give him evaporated milk.
You might have to feed him with a syringe if he can't drink directly from his plate.

You can also give him baby food eg Gerber​.

If you want real kitten food order from Amazon or eBay.
Friskies is highly recommended.
There are people on Nairaland that can help you order.

Your kitten is cute.
Take care of him.
Don't forget to vaccinate and deworm him when he's older.

3 Likes

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by jerrykho(m): 9:09pm On Mar 20, 2017
fried fish, hard boiled rice (marshed rice), waina (it's a Hausa traditional food, I'm in the North)
Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by blasiangurl85(f): 11:15pm On Mar 20, 2017
I've finally found a twin for my cat. They look so much alike. grin
Most cats are actually lactose intolerance that probably why the milk is upsetting your kittens tummy. If you want to give it milk you can either buy puppy milk from any pet store or make the milk very thin. Also you can give it can dog food. Try puppy food since its mashed. Just put a little in the mouth. I'm sure after tasting it the kitten will slurp it up(hopefully). It's not always easy finding cat food in Nigeria that's why used to give my cats dog food. Plus having dogs and cats I can't be buying separate food for them. tongue

2 Likes

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by Mckandre(m): 7:04am On Mar 21, 2017
u can give him anything you eat,but make sure its well mashed to enable him to chew well,u can give him fish;i ve never seen any cat refusing such. milk is also advisable, make a cup full and give it to him at intervals,peak milk would be nice,dont give soured milk. i also wanna get a cat around the week,all the ones i've vbin chased away by my dog,i just pray i see one just like yours.

1 Like

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by cedar3: 8:10am On Mar 21, 2017
I once had dat problem. I mixed oldenburger or sometimes blueboat with warm water (not hot water o). Make it a little bit thin. Then give with a syringe. Be gentle and patient, it may choke on it sometimes. Since it's still little, u may need to feed it thrice per day. Once it shows any sign of discomfort while feeding, pls discontinue. In my case, after a week or two, it started taking marshed solid foods like yam, rice, etc. With love and plenty of care, Spooky should be fine.

1 Like

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by DeLioncourt: 10:02am On Mar 21, 2017
It depends on what you're willing to spend.
I fed my kitten tuna fish, sardines and corned beef... basically soft fish and meat.
Cats can't resist fish so that always works fine.
I guess cooked fish should do too...

once the cat is up to 4 or 5 months, you can start switching up the diet...add little solids during the day.

at 7 months, my cat was eating fried yam and rice and she had no issues with them.

2 Likes

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by Nobody: 5:34am On Mar 22, 2017
fratermathy:
Hello all,

I recently got a 4 weeks old kitten but I don't know exactly what to feed it with. It won't take solid at all and it seems Cowbell milk gives it diarrhoea as it purged when I gave it to him.

All cat experts should help me out please. What can I feed a kitten and how do I make him eat? I don't want him to starve to death with me.

I even searched online and I saw that KMR is what is used in the USA but all the pet shops I called don't have it and it's not available on Konga.

I anticipate useful suggestions. Below is a picture of Spooky, the kitten. It doesn't eat anything unless I force feed it and when I did with Cowbell milk, it was a hell of a mess for me. I don't even know how to stop the diarrhoea.

Cc:
Seun
Fynestboi

First of all, don't give your cat any milk. They like it but it's not good for them.
The cat is still young. Feed the cat with sardine. I doubt she will resist it.

2 Likes

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by JohnieWalker12(m): 6:05am On Mar 22, 2017
Cute kitten. My cat can pose for Africa grin

9 Likes

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by JohnieWalker12(m): 6:44pm On Mar 24, 2017
Cat lovers in the house. Please I am depressed at the moment, my 6 weeks old cat has been throwing up since yesterday. I took her to a vet and she was given a drip and some liquid stuff. I got home and gave her milk which she threw up again. I am scared and helpless. Your suggestions will be appreciated. As am talking to you now, am on my way to shoprite to purchase cat food and litter box for her. Below is a picture of both of us at the vet today cry

1 Share

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by Seun(m): 8:12pm On Mar 24, 2017
@JohnieWalker12: What was the vet's diagnosis?

Give her plain boiled chicken. Cow milk is for baby cows.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by sleeknick: 9:22pm On Mar 24, 2017
Seun:

Give her plain boiled chicken. Cow milk is for baby cows. I lost my first kitten due to this not eating issue.

Seun are u a vet? I see u talking about animals so much. Especially dogs. Abi u dey sell dog meat?
Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by timidapsin(m): 10:13pm On Mar 24, 2017
Seun:

Give her plain boiled chicken. Cow milk is for baby cows. I lost my first kitten due to this not eating issue.
let him give them their best food (boiled Rat)
Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by rookidmart: 10:17pm On Mar 24, 2017
timidapsin:
My cats don't eat rat.

They don't eat anything they catch.
Always want to steal my meat/fish instead.

2 Likes

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by YulaFarms: 12:03am On Mar 25, 2017
fratermathy:
Hello all,

Cc:
Seun
Fynestboi

Cute little fella you've got there!

As suggested to you by rookidmart, you will need to feed it with a syringe or if you can get a good feeding bottle that will be better. Again, like blasiangurl85 said, make the milk thin.

Also if you can, get complan or baby milk (SMA). It might not be able to eat anything solid for now but there are also cat foods available in select pet stores though you'll hardly get one for kitten mostly are for adult cats. Whiskers are also available in can for cats, so is kibble for cats (Daimond). If you can find some of those you should be fine.

2 Likes

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by fratermathy(m): 12:57am On Mar 25, 2017
YulaFarms:

Cute little fella you've got there!

As suggested to you by rookidmart, you will need to feed it with a syringe or if you can get a good feeding bottle that will be better. Again, like blasiangurl85 said, make the milk thin.

Also if you can, get complan or baby milk (SMA). It might not be able to eat anything solid for now but there are also cat foods available in select pet stores though you'll hardly get one for kitten mostly are for adult cats. Whiskers are also available in can for cats, so is kibble for cats (Daimond). If you can find some of those you should be fine.

Thank you for your comment.

As for the feeder, I had to get an empty eye drop container to feed him. It works very well.

For the choice of food, I was informed that puppy milk can be taken by kittens. I haven't tried it yet but I intend to buy it. I'll also get the Complan so that I can see what he likes best.

My problem is his aversion to food. I fear he may starve to death because he is not interested in any food whatsoever. He seems to want only the original cat milk which I can't provide. So I usually force feed him but that is not effective still.
Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by JohnieWalker12(m): 10:48am On Mar 25, 2017
Seun:

Give her plain boiled chicken. Cow milk is for baby cows.

@seun

Thanks for your interest Oga Boss. The vet diagnosed her with diarrhea. I couldn't sleep all night as I had to stay awake and observe if she throws up again. Thankfully she didn't. smiley

She woke up with enough energy and already playful.

4 Likes

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by JohnieWalker12(m): 10:51am On Mar 25, 2017
timidapsin:

My cats don't eat rat as well. Below is her favorite food

2 Likes

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by lemmings(m): 3:46am On May 03, 2017
First, that's a really cute kitty you've got there.

At 4 weeks old, they still take "soft" food. Soft food can be boiled mashed fish (mashed sardine is fine too), the meat inside meatpies (the real meatpie oh, with that really soft and cooked minced meat, i get from chicken republic) and chopped up over boiled chicken (no maggi, just a little salt). At 4-6 weeks, they aren't used to solid food yet, so you have to start slowly with them, let them get used to the soft and wet food first.

Avoid milk of any kind, except the kitty shows a preference to a particular brand. But i think some do like watered down liquid peak milk.

Then show him love. As much as you want him to eat, he needs to get used to you and the new environment. Cats love food, so for yours to be avoiding food, it may be depression or a lack of comfort with the new surroundings. Pet him a lot (scratch under his jaws and the sides of his face gently), and also give him time to adjust.

Whiskers cat food is always a hit with the felines.

Hope he's better though!

fratermathy:
Hello all,

Cc:
Seun
Fynestboi

3 Likes

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by lemmings(m): 3:57am On May 03, 2017
Jeez!!!

I feel for you bro. My heart literally dropped at the sight of your kitten.
Hope she's better now??

JohnieWalker12:
Cat lovers in the house. Please I am depressed at the moment, my 6 weeks old cat has been throwing up since yesterday. I took her to a vet and she was given a drip and some liquid stuff. I got home and gave her milk which she threw up again. I am scared and helpless. Your suggestions will be appreciated. As am talking to you now, am on my way to shoprite to purchase cat food and litter box for her. Below is a picture of both of us at the vet today cry
Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by JohnieWalker12(m): 11:39am On May 03, 2017
lemmings:
Jeez!!!

I feel for you bro. My heart literally dropped at the sight of your kitten.
Hope she's better now??

Thanks grin she's doing just fine now. Here's a recent pix of her. cheesy

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by JohnieWalker12(m): 11:40am On May 03, 2017
[quote author=JohnieWalker12 post=56164763][/quote]

She loves moi - moi like say tomorrow no dey. grin

1 Like

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by Nobody: 1:04pm On May 04, 2017
JohnieWalker12:
hello smiley My name is Puff puff and i know of a whatsapp cat group u can join if interested

1 Like

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by lemmings(m): 1:39pm On May 04, 2017
She looks a lot better! Happy for you both!
[quote author=JohnieWalker12 post=56164763][/quote]

1 Like

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by JohnieWalker12(m): 6:15pm On May 04, 2017
MissCheezyPuff:
hello smiley My name is Puff puff and i know of a whatsapp cat group u can join if interested

Hello puff puff grin Your name is so funny. I wish I could eat you grin. As per the What's app group I'll be glad to be a member. Here's my contact info 08062142641. Tnx kiss

Re: What To Feed A 4 Weeks Old Kitten by JohnieWalker12(m): 6:17pm On May 04, 2017
lemmings:
She looks a lot better! Happy for you both!

Tnx lem.. cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Leopard, White Lion Cub, Tiger Available For Sale!!! / Amazing Beautiful Snakes (photos) / Wonders Shall Never End! See Woman With The Biggest Pussy. Pics.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.