Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:14 AM

First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? (1339 Views)

Air Peace: Allen Onyema Welcomes Back Nigerians From South Africa (photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by yorubalove: 8:39pm On Mar 20, 2017
Hello all. I'm finally visiting Nigeria where my mom is from. I am flying to South Africa tomorrow for a week and I plan getting a visa for Nigeria from there.

1. My first question is if anyone has experience with this from inside South Africa?
^ I'm an American.

My purpose for visiting Nigeria is to immerse myself in Yoruba and Hausa. I will fly into Lagos and go from there. This leads to my next question.

2. What is the best place in Nigeria for my goals? Can I stay in Lagos and get along just fine? Or should I go someplace else? I only want to speak these languages and no English.

3. Lastly, should I be worried about safety? Is Lagos not recommended or are the safety issues I've read online not applicable to people of African descent? If they are applicable to everyone, where are the safe areas where I can get immersed in these two languages without any worries about safety. (and hopefully some nightlife or something)
Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Mar 21, 2017
But where is lalasticlala sef undecided
Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Mar 21, 2017
My sister watch ! Even here on nairaland people might pretend to be of help to you but they can be dangerous. Make a very reliable and honest contact here and be 100% convinced before embarking on the journey. Nigerians are not smilling oooo. Though there are good people around but you just have to be extra careful.
Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by Neyoalao(m): 6:04pm On Mar 21, 2017
yorubalove:
Hello all. I'm finally visiting Nigeria where my mom is from. I am flying to South Africa tomorrow for a week and I plan getting a visa for Nigeria from there.

1. My first question is if anyone has experience with this from inside South Africa?
^ I'm an American.

My purpose for visiting Nigeria is to immerse myself in Yoruba and Hausa. I will fly into Lagos and go from there. This leads to my next question.

2. What is the best place in Nigeria for my goals? Can I stay in Lagos and get along just fine? Or should I go someplace else? I only want to speak these languages and no English.

3. Lastly, should I be worried about safety? Is Lagos not recommended or are the safety issues I've read online not applicable to people of African descent? If they are applicable to everyone, where are the safe areas where I can get immersed in these two languages without any worries about safety. (and hopefully some nightlife or something)
1. There's a visa on arrival for foreigners in Nigeria now but I can't ascertain how you will get on board a place without the visa tho. But why not apply for the visa from the states.

2. Well this will answer your 3rd question also and bring up more questions. First. Where is your mum from and how do you intend to stay in Nigeria and for how long. Do you have a family's house you can stay or hotel. And concerning safety what's your skin color. If you're black are you street wise I mean can you be in a crowd and not be easily noticed to be an American without being told. Answer these and lets start from there.

P. S Please desist from messaging anybody privately on NL for now. Make your requests open
Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by yorubalove: 7:18pm On Mar 21, 2017
@Classified60 - Yes, my mom and brothers warned of this beforehand. I have already gotten PMs from members already wanting my information to chat privately. I answered one PM but it turned out to be what I thought it was so yes as you say will not be entertaining any further PMs. Just wanted to put that out there for any future individuals who wish to contact me.

@Neyoalao -
1. I've also read about the visa on arrival but I have not been able to find any specifics regarding how to go about obtaining it. Or how much it costs or anything like that. I can't apply from the states because I'm on the road.

2. I plan on staying at hotels/guesthouses wherever is the cheapest but without sacrificing safety both in terms of dangerous people and in terms of other dangerous things such as bedbugs or insects, etc.

I never really thought about my ability to blend in and all that. I was just hoping it wasn't too dangerous. I may just go with my instincts and forego any online posting considering the threat is real.
Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by Neyoalao(m): 8:07pm On Mar 21, 2017
yorubalove:
@Classified60 - Yes, my mom and brothers warned of this beforehand. I have already gotten PMs from members already wanting my information to chat privately. I answered one PM but it turned out to be what I thought it was so yes as you say will not be entertaining any further PMs. Just wanted to put that out there for any future individuals who wish to contact me.

@Neyoalao -
1. I've also read about the visa on arrival but I have not been able to find any specifics regarding how to go about obtaining it. Or how much it costs or anything like that. I can't apply from the states because I'm on the road.

2. I plan on staying at hotels/guesthouses wherever is the cheapest but without sacrificing safety both in terms of dangerous people and in terms of other dangerous things such as bedbugs or insects, etc.

I never really thought about my ability to blend in and all that. I was just hoping it wasn't too dangerous. I may just go with my instincts and forego any online posting considering the threat is real.
About the visa on arrival let me try and make some researches for you right on NL.
Nah forget about the danger you will be fine. I had someone who was obviously white and everyone could see visit Nigeria and had no issues with danger at all even at the hotel. That's why am asking about your color but am not racist please... Lol. And yes I see you understand yoruba to some level so concerning learning more of the language the best place is a guest house but we could figure that out right here on the thread and Ibadan or osogbo or Abeokuta would be your best bet because Yoruba is readily available and you will be closer to people staying at the guesthouse. That's why I will have to ask about your color again to be able to give beat advice.
Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by Ademat7(m): 10:34pm On Mar 21, 2017
@yorubalove u didn't answer his question @neyoalao was asking where ur mum is actually from in yorubaland(Ogun,Oyo,Ekiti,Ondo,Osun,Lagos?)
haven't u watched video of whites who tour the street of Ibadan mixing with locals without fear?
If u really want to learn the language u need to put aside fears;Lagos is more secured.
visit "ilabe Special" a local food joint in magodo GRA when u r in Lagos to feel local dishes and interact with peeps if u want and if not who cares?
Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by Nobody: 1:14am On Mar 22, 2017
yorubalove:

^ I'm an American.

Hi, if Mark Zuckerberg can walk around the streets of Lagos without being harrased what makes you feel like you wouldn't be safe?

I can show you around if you want and you will be very safe especially if you don't know anyone here. You can also pay for a tour guide service, that way you will enjoy Lagos and go to places where Yoruba is spoken, it all depends on you.

The reason why the other poster asked if you are white is because we are 95% Blacks here and when you are black it's easier to blend in, which makes things generally easier for you. Nigerians are overly outspoken so if you are white you will stand out(in the day time you will love the attention but at night not so good especially on the mainland)

I hope you enjoy your trip if you decide to come down. Getting a tour guide is essential, contact me if you want one, take care dear

2 Likes

Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by yorubalove: 5:29am On Mar 22, 2017
Yes, I'm black. Does it matter what shade of black I am?

@Neyoalao - Thank you. If you find any information please let me know. I'm also going to call the Consulate or whatever official office tomorrow as well to inquire. Actually, I'm at the airport now as I type this so I will inquire here before I leave as well.

@Ademat7 - Thank you for the restaurant suggestion. I plan on searching NL for the best restaurants and starting a separate thread if necessary to ascertain the best eateries for local Nigerian food as well as the best guesthouses.

I see no-one has mentioned Hausa yet. Will it also be easy to get immersed in that as well? Hopefully, I can find a place where both are available.
Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by Ademat7(m): 8:30am On Mar 22, 2017
yorubalove:

@Neyoalao - Thank you. If you find any information please let me know. I'm also going to call the Consulate or whatever official office tomorrow as well to inquire. Actually, I'm at the airport now as I type this so I will inquire here before I leave as well.

@Ademat7 - Thank you for the restaurant suggestion. I plan on searching NL for the best restaurants and starting a separate thread if necessary to ascertain the best eateries for local Nigerian food as well as the best guesthouses.

I see no-one has mentioned Hausa yet. Will it also be easy to get immersed in that as well? Hopefully, I can find a place where both are available.
Magodo is an area for the rich,a GRA opposite Alausa secretariat u will meet Hausa people @suya spot inside it and if u are not satisfied with the large number of hausa people, take a cab(drop) to mile 12 which could take u back to magodo(mile 12 is the satellite estate of Hausa people there u will meet pple from different northern states all represented) also "Sabo market" is not far from there where u will see Hausa pple culture on display and when u r satisfied check in at olumo rock in Abeokuta #Yoruba-base internet is there for u to confirm all my submission.

#welcome-home

1 Like

Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by Ademat7(m): 8:42am On Mar 22, 2017
Pidgin2:

Hi, if Mark Zuckerberg can walk around the streets of Lagos without being harrased what makes you feel like you wouldn't be safe?

I can show you around if you want and you will be very safe especially if you don't know anyone here. You can also pay for a tour guide service, that way you will enjoy Lagos and go to places where Yoruba is spoken, it all depends on you.

The reason why the other poster asked if you are white is because we are 95% Blacks here and when you are black it's easier to blend in, which makes things generally easier for you. Nigerians are overly outspoken so if you are white you will stand out(in the day time you will love the attention but at night not so good especially on the mainland)

I hope you enjoy your trip if you decide to come down. Getting a tour guide is essential, contact me if you want one, take care dear

Nice one jare. We know there are scammers but that shouldn't b a yardstick to judge everyone in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by Neyoalao(m): 9:33am On Mar 22, 2017
yorubalove:

The fifty shade of black will do... LOL
Well since your color is that of the majority trust me you're fine you wouldn't find too much attention.
The airport is the best place to ask so you can know if you can get on a plane for country that has visa on arrival.
As for the guesthouse there are different platforms online where you can get them. Just search the keywords on google... Guesthouse in ibadan, in Lagos mainland, in Abeokuta.. Anywhere you will be able to check the pictures and see if it meets your specs.
For restaurants I heard there's this olaiya on the Island with nice amala.
As per the Hausa you will get them every corner you enter in Lagos trust me. But just be extra careful with them. And you will need someone who knows the town well and can be with you to give you some amount of safety and tell you the does and don't.
Safe trips man. How long do you intend staying?
Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by yorubalove: 8:53pm On Mar 23, 2017
Nigeria representation here turned me down, said Nigeria doesn't allow tourists to get visas here, only residents. I've read that Mali is an easy country to get the visa from but then again there aren't any cheap flights from South Africa to Mali. May just have to cancel this trip unfortunately. They also mentioned a letter of invitation which sounds like such a hassle. Perhaps they are not trying to attract visitors at the moment...
Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by Neyoalao(m): 9:27pm On Mar 23, 2017
yorubalove:
Nigeria representation here turned me down, said Nigeria doesn't allow tourists to get visas here, only residents. I've read that Mali is an easy country to get the visa from but then again there aren't any cheap flights from South Africa to Mali. May just have to cancel this trip unfortunately. They also mentioned a letter of invitation which sounds like such a hassle. Perhaps they are not trying to attract visitors at the moment...
You didn't ask for the possibility of VOA. And you don't need an invitation letter for a tourist visa only a visitors visa. Try make enquiries on VOA if it works then you can come down. Or you could head back to states and apply from there. Bet you didn't plan this movement well...
Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by naijaboy756: 11:48pm On Mar 23, 2017
See as everybody dey respond fine and form good Samaritan because na Americana... cheesy... Naija i hail o
Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by yorubalove: 5:03pm On Mar 26, 2017
Neyoalao:

You didn't ask for the possibility of VOA. And you don't need an invitation letter for a tourist visa only a visitors visa. Try make enquiries on VOA if it works then you can come down. Or you could head back to states and apply from there. Bet you didn't plan this movement well...
I did inquire about the VOA. The lady said a LOI was still needed no matter how I apply. I think I will depart Africa after South Africa and skip Nigeria from the look of things. Such a shame but that's the situation currently. I may try it again in 5-6 years if I am able to and still single.

1 Like

Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Mar 26, 2017
yorubalove:

It's very difficult to get a Nigerian visit visa as a foreigner. You can download YouTube videos to practice any of the languages you fancy then when you meet a Nigerian in your country you can converse with him or her, take care
Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by samtol4(m): 7:22pm On Mar 26, 2017
Pidgin2:

It's very difficult to get a Nigerian visit visa as a foreigner. You can download YouTube videos to practice any of the languages you fancy then when you meet a Nigerian in your country you can converse with him or her, take care
This is not true . What do u mean " it i s very difficult " With proper docs the visa issued within 5 days
Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Mar 26, 2017
samtol4:
This is not true . What do u mean " it i s very difficult " With proper docs the visa issued within 5 days

If you don't know what people pass through to get Nigerian visit visa please don't quote me because I know what I'm saying
Re: First Time In Nigeria, Visa From South Africa? by Neyoalao(m): 10:13pm On Mar 26, 2017
Pidgin2:

If you don't know what people pass through to get Nigerian visit visa please don't quote me because I know what I'm saying
Sorry I have to quote but yet I have to clarify that there's nothing they pass through... The major things needed are £300, LOI, bank statements and the likes..... Very easy to get. Speaking from a first hand experience.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

See What Americans And Europeans Said About Europe Vs America / Pictures Of Good, Standard Hotels/Guest Houses/Resorts To Consider Worldwide. / Who Knows Anything About UK Occupation Shortage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.