Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,950 members, 7,824,978 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

What Makes Music Great? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / What Makes Music Great? (387 Views)

Download MP3: What Makes Us Different By Jerry Praise / What /who Makes Music A "Hit Track"? / What Makes Music Go Viral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Makes Music Great? by deda27(m): 2:07pm On Mar 22, 2017
Lyrics, instrumentation, artiste, music video, production, mixing/mastering, marketing/promotions… -all these and more are all components of a song,

But what actually makes a song worth listening to over and over again?

What makes a song worth listening to even after years of its debut even by generations to come?

Basically, what makes a song worth it?

I was once taught that the worth of a thing is measured by its value, so let’s break it down by asking how we measure the value of a song.

They say “music is the food to the soul”, I also say “the value of a song is the soul of the song” and the soul of the song is determined by the life it gives

Life… hmnnnn, what is life? (Big time jamb question)

I might not be able to define life (I don’t think anyone can really define life) but I remember one valuable thing I learnt about life back in secondary school which is “life is about cries and smiles”, this submits to me that life is an embodiment of moments experienced, so also is music.

We experience different moments and changes in emotions as we pass through life so also is the same with music, but there are some moments we experience that will stick to us forever cause they affect us deep down to the core of our soul, so also is the effect of music.

I wonder, why does our instinct goes straight to listening to a sad or low tempo song when we feel down? For example songs by Enya (I mean try listening to a song by Enya first thing every morning for like a week…). I mean aren’t we meant to do the opposite, like listen to happy songs when down and listening to sad songs when …well wanted to write “when happy”, but really who wants to be sad when happy, but in the real sense , I think people don’t just want to be happy only or sad only all through their lives, I mean what’s the fun in that, each moment whether good or bad makes us appreciate the other better when they come our way, because there is no moment that lasts forever, every single moment passes away and comes back to re-invent itself later, it’s like a cycle just like the clouds in the sky.

Here are my hypotheses, first we all want to be understood before given a solution, and we all want to feel we are not alone just like the words of Michael Jackson, and that’s what music does, it does gives a solution sometimes, but most importantly it gets us, it gets us at a particular moment whether it past ,present or future, it gives us that soothing relief that we are not alone, that someone out there whether a “foreign” or “local” artiste understands us and this is an embodiment of the life music gives.

That’s why songs from the likes of Elvis Presley, Bob Marley, Frank Sinatra, James Brown, Diana Ross, Fela Anikulapo, KSA, Onyeka Owenu, Ebeneezer Obey,Oliver de Coque Majek Fashek, Tupac, Nas, Adele, Ed Sheeran, Beyonce, Tuface, M.I, Omawunmi, Timi Dakolo , Dare Art Alade and so on (you can add yours) would always have songs that are relevant because their songs didn’t just entertain or educate us, but it understood and still understands us at a level so deep.

Their songs didn’t just scratch the surface of our souls, it goes deep down to the crux of how we feel during those particular moment in our lives. These songs didn’t just capture our hearts, it won our hearts because of the life it gives to the memories of the past, reality of the present and hope for the future.

So once again I put the question back to you WHAT MAKES A SONG GREAT?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Lofty Radio TV On Social Media / Music + Video] Mayorkun – Sade / Who Is The World Hottest Rapper?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.