Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

Does Using Car Ac Burn More Fuel? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Does Using Car Ac Burn More Fuel? (946 Views)

Drive Safely And Talk Hands-free On Phone Using Car Bluetooth Kits / Share (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Using Car Ac Burn More Fuel? by officialfestus(m): 7:52pm On Mar 23, 2017
[b]
Do you think that turning on your car air conditional while driving increases your fuel consumption? Well the answer is yes! Like every other device in your car, the air conditional draws energy from the engine which automatically increase load on the engine, therefore increasing fuel usage. When your car is running, it makes use of energy supplied by the alternator which comes from the engine. When the compressor runs, more pressure is put on the engine which gives out more energy. With the car ac on, the car actually burns more gas than with the ac off. The bigger question however is, which consumes more fuel, driving with ac on or driving with windows down? Like state above, the air conditional when on, draws power from the engine, depending on the car make and brand, the amount of power used u the ac varies. Rolling down the windows on the other hand burns more fuel than we actually realize! The average car driver does not have the idea of this. With the windows down, a car becomes less aerodynamic. The air that gushes in through the window causes additional resistance or drag, thereby increasing the car’s resistance. Increased resistance means that the car has to work harder to maintain its speed, therefore putting more strain on the engine which automatically burns more fuel. In 2014, the Society of Automobile Engineers (SAE) conducted a research by testing a car in both a wind tunnel and on a desert tract in Arizona, using a full sized sedan and an SUV. The study showed that driving with the window rolled down was actually more fuel consuming while especially driving faster than 50 – 55 mph, fuel efficiency dropped by a whopping 20%, but only 10% when the air conditional was on. SAE recommends driving with your window down if you are driving in city street that does not require speeding, however when in a highway, the drag produced by rolling down your window exceeds the efficiency drop by keeping windows rolled up and ac on. For better fuel economy, windows should be rolled down while driving in your neighbourhood, traffic and low speed areas while ac should be used when driving on highways Anf express road.
[/b]

4 Likes

Re: Does Using Car Ac Burn More Fuel? by Lastpharoah33: 8:02pm On Mar 23, 2017
I thought as much

1 Like

Re: Does Using Car Ac Burn More Fuel? by musco4me: 8:04pm On Mar 23, 2017
Hmmmmmm
Re: Does Using Car Ac Burn More Fuel? by majamajic(m): 8:31pm On Mar 23, 2017
All depends on the age and model of the car, new model cars takes more fuel when the AC is off.
Re: Does Using Car Ac Burn More Fuel? by Kingsasian(m): 8:42pm On Mar 23, 2017
So informative, thanks a lot op.
Re: Does Using Car Ac Burn More Fuel? by PoisonedOne: 10:14pm On Mar 23, 2017
Nice one.
I would like to know whether increasing the AC to 'hi' actually consumes more fuel or It's the same. I've a brother that always puts his AC on low and must drive his car for about 10 minutes before putting on the AC believing the engine should charge before putting the AC on. I always fault this and felt slightly irritated whenever I drive with him and he is doing the "leaving engine to charge before putting the AC on" .
Re: Does Using Car Ac Burn More Fuel? by officialfestus(m): 4:15am On Mar 24, 2017
PoisonedOne:
Nice one.
I would like to know whether increasing the AC to 'hi' actually consumes more fuel or It's the same. I've a brother that always puts his AC on low and must drive his car for about 10 minutes before putting on the AC believing the engine should charge before putting the AC on. I always fault this and felt slightly irritated whenever I drive with him and he is doing the "leaving engine to charge before putting the AC on" .
anytime you start the car,wait for aleast ten minutes before putting on your ac....this method make's your car battery last longer....expect you are travelling on a long distance
Re: Does Using Car Ac Burn More Fuel? by officialfestus(m): 4:23am On Mar 24, 2017
Kingsasian:
So informative, thanks a lot op.
u r welcome
Re: Does Using Car Ac Burn More Fuel? by officialfestus(m): 4:24am On Mar 24, 2017
majamajic:
All depends on the age and model of the car, new model cars takes more fuel when the AC is off.
yeah....you are right,cars like mercedes benz

(1) (Reply)

Tokunbo 2004 Lexus RX330 For Sale. / ############## Clean Mint Registered 2016 Honda Cr-v Exl Edition,price 9.8m / 2013 Ducati Monster 769 Street Bike, Twin Cylinder, Air Cooled Engine, #2.3m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.