Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,596 members, 7,823,594 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

Police Not Biased In Its Handling Of Ife Crisis – Idris - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Not Biased In Its Handling Of Ife Crisis – Idris (323 Views)

Message / Lady Slaps A Man, Dancer In Edo For Disrespecting And Rough Handling Her / Major-General Idris Alkali Found Dead, After Being Kidnapped. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Not Biased In Its Handling Of Ife Crisis – Idris by Nobody: 5:17pm On Mar 24, 2017
The police responded Friday to the accusation that they have been partial in their investigation of the recent communal crisis in Ile-Ife,Osun State that claimed at least 46 lives.
The clash pitched the Yoruba against Hausa.
The police moved in and arrested a number of suspects majority of whom are Yoruba.
The development drew sharp criticism from prominent Yoruba leaders and groups, who believe the police are partial towards the Hausa.
They wonder why only the Yoruba are being arrested and harassed over the clash.
However,Police Inspector General Ibrahim Idris yesterday denied any such act by the police.
“Crime has no tribe,” he told State House Correspondents after briefing President Muhammadu Buhari on the security situation in different part of the country.
He added: “if you are a criminal you are a criminal.
“Crime has no face. We don’t look at crime in the identity of where you are coming from.
“As far as you are a criminal and the police find you wanting, we apply the law.”
The Police IG expressed doubts over the involvement of Fulani herdsmen in the recent killings in Zaki Biam, Benue State.
He said indications point in the direction of a wanted hoodlum, Gana.
His words: “No I don’t think its Fulani herdsmen. It was an activity of a criminal who is using members of his criminal gang in the state to harass people.
“We deployed Mobile Police Unit on 16th of this month and that incident that happened at Zaki Biam there are allegations that Gana, one of the wanted man,caused it.
“This man has been on the police wanted list, I now decided to deploy some special units to go after him and get him by all means.
“Definitely that man we are going to get him.”
On his mission to the State House,he said: “I came to see the President to update him on the deployment of the police in our effort to ensure that we have security all over the country.
“Obviously, it’s to share with him our deployment strategies on ground; our deployment to some of these flash points all over the country, especially Benue which is the current one; deployment to Kaduna state which started some few weeks back; and deployment to the Ile-Ife crisis where recently we have a lot of police officers, both special squads and investigation team on ground to conduct investigation on the matter.”
Asked on the specific directives given to him by the President, he said: “Obviously, there should be a specific directive to ensure that all of us use all the facilities at our disposal to make sure that some of these incidents we are talking about are brought under control as soon as possible.
“I gave the President my assurance that we are going to do that. As I said earlier, we have deplored a special squad to Benue and we are surely going to get that Gana within a short time.”
He dismissed suggestions that the police have no strategy for fighting crimes in the country, saying: “You know some of these crises, we have to look at their and the immediate cause for you to make a proper classification of the crimes,
“If you follow some of these crimes, they are just crimes that happened without any warning.
“If you look at that Ife crisis, if you see how it started it’s just a disagreement between two people selling food along the road. So you have to look at the dynamics of the country itself.
“Obviously, when you have such situation we have to react to it. We had to move in to ensure we provide some security to the people.”
Re: Police Not Biased In Its Handling Of Ife Crisis – Idris by Nobody: 5:18pm On Mar 24, 2017
Re: Police Not Biased In Its Handling Of Ife Crisis – Idris by Jabioro: 5:23pm On Mar 24, 2017
I won't believe you sir, because you work on that doctor documents report on your table sir
Re: Police Not Biased In Its Handling Of Ife Crisis – Idris by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 24, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Police Rescue Woman In Fresh Suicide Attempt In Lagos / RRS Nabs Fake Land Use Officer / Hell Is More Peaceful Than This World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.