Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,527 members, 7,823,291 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

Let Us Try To Give Etymology To Common Yoruba Words - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Let Us Try To Give Etymology To Common Yoruba Words (2147 Views)

Check Out This Yoruba Words For A Glutton / Etymology Of The Word Fufu / Yoruba Words And Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let Us Try To Give Etymology To Common Yoruba Words by macof(m): 1:52am On Mar 25, 2017
I was thinking to myself the other day and thought, What is the difference between Owa, Oba, Olofin, Oloja, Olori, and Olu; all being words used to refer to Kings in various parts of Yorubaland
I will even had 'Oga' as it is a term used to refer to superiors

Olofin and Olori are sure easy to break down to 'law giver' and 'Head/Leader' respectively
There's also Ọlọfin which is a standard more popular version of Aláàfin meaning "owner of the palace"

from history we know 'Oba' has been used in Ife since time immemorial, and can be broke down to 'o ba' he that regulates (controls the affairs)
which is the original title of the Aborigine Nobles that Oduduwa met in authority before becoming Ooni eg. Oba Iwinrin, Oba Ilejugbe etc

Worthy to Note that the Olukumi people of Delta State refer to their King as 'Oloza' from 'Oloja'

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Let Us Try To Give Etymology To Common Yoruba Words by YonkijiSappo: 2:38am On Mar 25, 2017
Oba - Nominal Royal Title. It is like the English word "King"
So, for example the Kings of various towns will have different royal titles which might in turn have an Oja Oba in the middle of town, beside the Palce (Aafin, or Oghofen in SE Yoruba)

Oloja or Olaja - Oja or Aja is the name for a small settlement that has not grown large enough to become a major town, usually located on intersections or crossroads (Ode), and is usually also a centre of trade and exchange of goods for all the neighboring peoples (Oja). It is most common to SE Yoruba dialects. A leader of such a community would be an Olaja or Oloja
This title similarly exist in Itsekiri as Olaja, in Olukumi as "Oloza" like you said, and in Igala as Onoja.

So it must infact be quite ancient.

Olori - This simply means "Leader" or "Headman" of sorts, not just of a town but can be any association or guild of people where someone is recognized as leader. Comes from the word "Ori" which means head, and the possessive "Olo-" prefix.

Olu - This term does not necessarily mean King, Olu actually means Lord, and not King. So, for example "Oluwa" means Our Lord, while "Olu Orun" contracted to "Olorun" simply means - Lord of the Heavens. These are both terms for God. In a societal concept, an olu would simply means a recognized lord, owner or ruler of a place, and it wouldn't be out of place to still call an Olu an Oba- as that is what he truly is.

Olofin - This is an old old old, infact, Ancient word mired in deep Yoruba chronicles. Breaking down its etymology, the "Olo-" possessive prefix can be clearly culled out and recognized in the word giving a hint to it being something similar to Olorun. Now, what does "Ofin" mean? Ofin means rules or tenets, therefore Olofin most likely means someone who owns the rules or set the tenets. Ultimately, a kind of ruler as well. Mind you it could also be a contraction of "Olu Ofin" Lord of the Rules/Order.

Owa - Owa is a word mostly used by the Ijeshas, Ekitis and some Akoko groups to refer to a ruler. I speak neither of these dialects, but it certainly has its origins as well. If I am to guess the 'O' is a pronoun of person, while the wa is probably what remains of a more elaborate term that has contracted and lost some consonants over ages, making the deciphering of its exact meaning more difficult.
Same way what Yorubas called Ooni today was in the middle ages called "Owoni" and its original form was Oghone.

So, that is that.

1 Like

Re: Let Us Try To Give Etymology To Common Yoruba Words by Olu317(m): 11:29am On Mar 25, 2017
YonkijiSappo:
Oba - Nominal Royal Title. It is like the English word "King"
So, for example the Kings of various towns will have different royal titles which might in turn have an Oja Oba in the middle of town, beside the Palce (Aafin, or Oghofen in SE Yoruba)

Oloja or Olaja - Oja or Aja is the name for a small settlement that has not grown large enough to become a major town, usually located on intersections or crossroads (Ode), and is usually also a centre of trade and exchange of goods for all the neighboring peoples (Oja). It is most common to SE Yoruba dialects. A leader of such a community would be an Olaja or Oloja
This title similarly exist in Itsekiri as Olaja, in Olukumi as "Oloza" like you said, and in Igala as Onoja.

So it must infact be quite ancient.

Olori - This simply means "Leader" or "Headman" of sorts, not just of a town but can be any association or guild of people where someone is recognized as leader. Comes from the word "Ori" which means head, and the possessive "Olo-" prefix.

Olu - This term does not necessarily mean King, Olu actually means Lord, and not King. So, for example "Oluwa" means Our Lord, while "Olu Orun" contracted to "Olorun" simply means - Lord of the Heavens. These are both terms for God. In a societal concept, an olu would simply means a recognized lord, owner or ruler of a place, and it wouldn't be out of place to still call an Olu an Oba- as that is what he truly is.

Olofin - This is an old old old, infact, Ancient word mired in deep Yoruba chronicles. Breaking down its etymology, the "Olo-" possessive prefix can be clearly culled out and recognized in the word giving a hint to it being something similar to Olorun. Now, what does "Ofin" mean? Ofin means rules or tenets, therefore Olofin most likely means someone who owns the rules or set the tenets. Ultimately, a kind of ruler as well. Mind you it could also be a contraction of "Olu Ofin" Lord of the Rules/Order.

Owa - Owa is a word mostly used by the Ijeshas, Ekitis and some Akoko groups to refer to a ruler. I speak neither of these dialects, but it certainly has its origins as well. If I am to guess the 'O' is a pronoun of person, while the wa is probably what remains of a more elaborate term that has contracted and lost some consonants over ages, making the deciphering of its exact meaning more difficult.
Same way what Yorubas called Ooni today was in the middle ages called "Owoni" and its original form was Oghone.

So, that is that.

I do like most of your interpretation. Kudos. However, Owa begun from the time of Odua . From the account available, it was when he became partially blind and his two sons( owa Ajibogun and Aremitan) and Abajadi followed them to sort and fetch beach(Atlantic sea) water for the cure. The appellation was mentioned to acknowledge the princes who were the descendants of the personage who was referred to as called Odua. Owoni, as far as the modern revelation is concerned, Rev. Samuel Johnson blundered on Oni history and Samuel Ajayi crowther too blundered when he asserted that Odua came out from Ado odo. Ooni, appellation existed from time with Odu'a.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let Us Try To Give Etymology To Common Yoruba Words by YonkijiSappo: 11:50am On Mar 25, 2017
Yes, the title is old, but It was not called Ooni in the ancient Yoruba they spoke back then but rather Oghone or Oghoni.
That is how the Ilajes and Owos still call the Ooni. Innovation in western Yoruba speech is what has transformed it into Ooni.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Let Us Try To Give Etymology To Common Yoruba Words by Olu317(m): 2:27pm On Mar 25, 2017
I strongly believe it was ‘H' letter that sound more accurate with my extra research outside Yoruba land... A form pronounced as “Hooni". Effort on Your part. Stay blessed
Re: Let Us Try To Give Etymology To Common Yoruba Words by OlaoChi: 9:48pm On Mar 25, 2017
YonkijiSappo:
Yes, the title is old, but It was not called Ooni in the ancient Yoruba they spoke back then but rather Oghone or Oghoni.
That is how the Ilajes and Owos still call the Ooni. Innovation in western Yoruba speech is what has transformed it into Ooni.

First time coming across this.

However if it is true that Ilaje and Owo dialects pronounce it as "oghoni" that would make Ife dialect "owoni" which I have read somewhere before

Oghoni/Owoni could also be the cognate of "Oghene" as the Ooni is called by Bini

1 Like

Re: Let Us Try To Give Etymology To Common Yoruba Words by YonkijiSappo: 2:06am On Mar 26, 2017
OlaoChi:

First time coming across this.

However if it is true that Ilaje and Owo dialects pronounce it as "oghoni" that would make Ife dialect "owoni" which I have read somewhere before

Oghoni/Owoni could also be the cognate of "Oghene" as the Ooni is called by Bini

Binis call Ooni Oghene ke?
Isn't Oghene God in Urhobo?

1 Like

Re: Let Us Try To Give Etymology To Common Yoruba Words by OlaoChi: 9:45am On Mar 26, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

Yes and Yes

2 Likes

Re: Let Us Try To Give Etymology To Common Yoruba Words by Olu317(m): 5:07pm On Mar 26, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

BINI IN THE ANCIENT REFER TO “ONI" AS OGHENE WITH IT ANCIENT MEANING AS GOD and father...The URHOBO SUSTAIN THE WORD TILL DATE IN REFERENCE TO ALMIGHTY GOD. URHOBO MIGRATED OUT OF BINI/EDO KINGDOM

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let Us Try To Give Etymology To Common Yoruba Words by lawani: 2:01pm On Sep 15, 2017
Yoruba Can Be said to be the modern form of kemitic egyptian and in that language Ba means something like soul, the Ba of osiris is worshipped as a God. The Ba of microsoft is Bill Gates, That of Apple Inc is Steve Jobs Etc
Re: Let Us Try To Give Etymology To Common Yoruba Words by Probz(m): 2:03pm On Sep 15, 2017
How about oyinbo?

1 Like

Re: Let Us Try To Give Etymology To Common Yoruba Words by macof(m): 1:28pm On Jul 14, 2022
Probz:
How about oyinbo?
Òyìn(cold breeze) - bó (bleached/pale)

Òyìn (as should be in standard Yoruba, but the word has fallen out of use)
Òyì (as used in several dialects)
Re: Let Us Try To Give Etymology To Common Yoruba Words by RedboneSmith(m): 4:16am On Jul 15, 2022
YonkijiSappo:

So, that is that.

According to Isola Olomola, Owa comes from an archaic Yoruba word for 'great house'. The word still survives in the ikedu records, where we find Owigho (Owa Igho) meaning "House of Money". Note that the ancient Egyptians also used a word that meant 'great house' (i.e., Pharoah) to refer to their rulers. Also, the word 'obi' used in Anioma area of Delta State to refer to kings has a similar meaning.

Interestingly, the word for 'house' in Edo areas is still Owa.
Re: Let Us Try To Give Etymology To Common Yoruba Words by Olu317(m): 5:08pm On Jul 16, 2022
RedboneSmith:

According to Isola Olomola, Owa comes from an archaic Yoruba word for 'great house'. The word still survives in the ikedu records, where we find Owigho (Owa Igho) meaning "House of Money". Note that the ancient Egyptians also used a word that meant 'great house' (i.e., Pharoah) to refer to their rulers. Also, the word 'obi' used in Anioma area of Delta State to refer to kings has a similar meaning.

Interestingly, the word for 'house' in Edo areas is still Owa.
Ọwá means" king " in ancient iléifẹ even if it has other homophone link

(1) (Reply)

Seven Strange Traditions Across Africa / Arhuanran: The Giant Warrior - Prince Of Benin Kingdom / The Bini-ife Seniority Crises: Science To The Rescue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.