Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,482 members, 7,819,757 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? (45082 Views)

Hilarious Throwback:can You Recognise This Celebrities In This Throw Back Photo? / Throwback: Can You Spot The Famous Musician In This Photo? / Tboss Stars In 'Kada River' Her First Nollywood Movie With Eniola Badmus (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by naptu2: 3:17am On Mar 25, 2017
Can you identify the 6 people in these photographs?

1)

2)

3)

4)
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by DrDeji20(m): 3:24am On Mar 25, 2017
the 3rd pic of the woman putting in leggings just explained why old school fashion is coming back.

3 Likes

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by MuttleyLaff: 4:58am On Mar 25, 2017
naptu2:
Can you identify the 6 people in these photographs?
1) Chris Oyakhilome Lady on right looks familiar, but her name eludes me, looks and maybe Princess Deun Arize Adedoyin-Solarin
2) Onyeka Onwenu on the right
3) [s]Lady on left looks familiar, but her name eludes me, looks and maybe Clarion Chukwura[/s]
4) [s]Lady on right looks familiar, but her name eludes me, looks and maybe Ibinabo Fiberesima[/s]
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by majamajic(m): 5:27am On Mar 25, 2017
4. Tina onwudiwe

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by MuttleyLaff: 5:58am On Mar 25, 2017
majamajic:
4. Tina onwudiwe
3 Yeni? and Femi Segun
4 Tyna Onwudiwe with late Femi Segun RIP Fela's daughter ex other half

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by Ishilove: 1:21pm On Mar 25, 2017
I know the answers grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by naptu2: 1:43pm On Mar 25, 2017
Ishilove:
I know the answers grin

grin Can you identify the man in the first picture?
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by Afam4eva(m): 1:43pm On Mar 25, 2017
I can see Onyeka Onwenu, Christy Essien Igbokwe and Tina Onwudiwe who died of cancer many years ago.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by naptu2: 1:43pm On Mar 25, 2017
MuttleyLaff:

1) Chris Oyakhilome Lady on right looks familiar, but her name eludes me, looks and maybe Princess Deun Arize Adedoyin-Solarin
2) Onyeka Onwenu on the right
3) [s]Lady on left looks familiar, but her name eludes me, looks and maybe Clarion Chukwura[/s]
4) [s]Lady on right looks familiar, but her name eludes me, looks and maybe Ibinabo Fiberesima[/s]

Good try.
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by naptu2: 1:44pm On Mar 25, 2017
Afam4eva:
I can see Onyeka Onwenu, Christy Essien Igbokwe and Tina Onwudiwe who died of cancer many years ago.

Two out of three.
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by hahn(m): 2:25pm On Mar 25, 2017
naptu2:

Two out of three.

Naptu abeg do you have any clips of Tina Onwudiwe? I used to watch her growing up and there is this song she sang and part of the lyrics goes "brothers killing brother, children fighting wars" etc

I always sing it to my wife but will love to have her listen to the song herself

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by naptu2: 2:39pm On Mar 25, 2017
hahn:

Naptu abeg do you have any clips of Tina Onwudiwe? I used to watch her growing up and there is this song she sang and part of the lyrics goes "brothers killing brother, children fighting wars" etc

I always sing it to my wife but will love to have her listen to the song herself

How many years since Africa's been free?
Take a look around and tell me what do you see?
Brothers killing brothers, children fighting wars,
Starvation and poverty still knocking on our doors

Tina Onwudiwe - Black On Black (Asiko Lo Laiye).

Unforunately I don't have a video clip of the song.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by hahn(m): 2:44pm On Mar 25, 2017
naptu2:

Tina Onwudiwe - Black On Black (Asiko Lo Laiye).

Unforunately I don't have a video clip of the song.

It is not even on youtube sad
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by Afam4eva(m): 2:45pm On Mar 25, 2017
naptu2:

Two out of three.
I don't think i know that lady that loooks like Christy Essien Igbokwe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by naptu2: 4:56pm On Mar 25, 2017
Answers

The common denominator here, is the tv show Morning Ride.

1) Woman with Onyeka Onwenu in the second photograph and with Femi Segun in the third photograph.

Pamela Mojekwu was the most famous fitness trainer in Nigeria in the 1980s and early 1990s. She had her own tv show on Lagos Television, an exercise segment on Morning Ride (on NTA2 Channel 5) and columns in Vanguard Newspaper, Lagos Weekend newspaper and many magazines.

She also owned an exercise studio called The Bodyshop. Its headquarters was in Ilupeju, with branches at Surulere and Festac. Stars like Onyeka Onwenu, were regular customers at The Bodyshop.

She had a little daughter that suffered from sickle-cell disease. The daughter used to appear in some of her exercise sessions on Morning Ride, performing exercises for children and sicklers (the daughter was around 7 or 8 years old at that time).

She and her assistant (the karate instructor at The Bodyshop) also appeared in a Vitamalt advert.

She left Morning Ride in the mid-1990s, in order to take care of her daughter (in fact, she practically vanished from the scene).

Pamela Mojekwu moved to the US in the early 2000s, partly in order to get treatment for her daughter. She was involved in a car accident in 2009, in which her (now grown up) daughter died.

The City of Chicago charged her with vehicular homicide. The court found her guilty of vehicular homicide and she was jailed.

2) Man in the first photograph

Danladi Bako created Morning Ride in 1988. He was the host of the show from 1988-1992.

It was the best breakfast show on Nigerian tv at that time. Participants at all the weekend's entertainment and social events usually appeared on Morning Ride to promote their shows.

Contestants in Miss Intercontinental, Most Beautiful Girl In Nigeria, Miss Nigeria and other such beauty pageants usually appeared on Morning Ride the morning before the show. I predicted that Miss Jamaica (Sandra Foster) would win the 1989 Miss Intercontinental pageant after seeing her on Morning Ride with Danladi Bako.

Foreign and Nigerian music stars usually appeared on Morning Ride before performing at concerts in Lagos. Musicians also appeared on Morning Ride while trying to promote their latest album. They also had reports from Super Eagles training camps (before any important match), clips of the latest society wedding, etc.

Danladi Bako also created Master Sports (a popular sports programme on NTA2 Channel 5) in 1991. Master Sports had the best sports presenters at that time (Paul Bassey, Chris Eseka, Mitchel Obi and Sam John). He was the first producer of the show and he often appeared as a guest (another regular guest was Mumini Alao).

President Obasanjo appointed him as the director general of the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission (NBC) in 1999 and he resigned in 2002 to go into politics.

He was turbanned as the Kogunan Sokoto by the late Sultan of Sokoto in 2001.

3)Woman in fourth picture
Tina Onwudiwe had two massive hits in Nigeria in the early 1990s: Black On Black (Asiko Lo Laiye) and a remake of Bob Marley's Turn Your Lights Down Low.

Miss Onwudiwe was also a stylist/fashion designer and she designed most of the costumes that were used in her videos (and some of the costumes that were used in Charlie Boy's videos).

She was nicknamed African Oyinbo because she had a Nigerian father and a British mother.

She brought Charlie Boy to Lagos in the early 1980s, helped him to get a record deal, paid his house rent for two years and helped him to develop his image.

She died of lung cancer in Johannesburg in 2001. Several Nigerian musicians, especially Charlie Boy and Onyeka Onwenu, tried to raise funds for her treatment when a magazine published an article about her battle with cancer. They staged a concert called Time Out For Tyna.

4) Man with Pamela Mojekwu in third picture and Tyna Onwudiwe in fourth picture

Femi Segun was a polyglot. He studied modern European languages at the University of Ife and he spoke English, French, Spanish, Portuguese and a host of other languages. He worked as an interpreter/protocol officer at the Presidency/CVU from 1983-1990.

He was the third host of Morning Ride (after Danladi Bako and Okojie). He hosted the show from the early 1990s to the late 1990s. The two pictures above were taken on the set of the show.

He was Yeni Anikulapo-Kuti's husband (and therefore, Fela's son-in-law). There are rumours about why they divorced, but I won't go into that here.

He was killed in a sports bike accident on Admiralty Way, Lekki in 2014.

I believe that everybody can recognise Onyeka Onwenu (carrying the dumbbells in the second photograph). I don't need to introduce her.

She has appeared on Morning Ride many times. I remember one particular occasion, when she appeared with King Sunny Ade to promote their songs about family planning ( "Choices" and "Wait For Me" ) in 1990. Danladi Bako was interviewing them and they were responding to his questions, when an air force officer sitting near me exclaimed, "Wow!" He was shocked because he didn't know that King Sunny Ade could speak proper English. He kept on exclaiming throughout that segment, "Wow! You don't mean it! This is Sunny!".

Princess 'Deun Adedoyin-Solarin was probably the youngest presenter on Nigerian television in the late 1970s, when she started presenting programmes on the NBC (NTA) at the age of 17.

She co-hosted Morning Ride in the mid-1990s and she currently has her own show, Princess Arise on Ben Tv.

86 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by Ishilove: 6:03pm On Mar 25, 2017
Naptu2, Nairaland's resident Walking Encylopedia Nigernica

49 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by joseph1832(m): 10:49pm On Mar 25, 2017
Some time ago I met Danladi Bako. Dude is real.
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by sarrki(m): 5:37am On Mar 26, 2017
After a very long time
The story of Pamela really touched me

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by johnie: 6:06am On Apr 01, 2017
naptu2:
Answers

The common denominator here, is the tv show Morning Ride.

Pamela Mojekwu was the most famous fitness trainer in Nigeria in the 1980s and early 1990s. She had her own tv show on Lagos Television, an exercise segment on Morning Ride (on NTA2 Channel 5) and columns in Vanguard Newspaper, Lagos Weekend newspaper and many magazines.

She and her assistant (the karate instructor at The Bodyshop) also appeared in a Vitamalt advert.

2) Man in the first photograph

Danladi Bako created Morning Ride in 1988. He was the host of the show from 1988-1992.

Danladi Bako also created Master Sports (a popular sports programme on NTA2 Channel 5) in 1991. He was the first producer of the show and he often appeared as a guest (another regular guest was Mumini Alao).

President Obasanjo appointed him as the director general of the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission (NBC) in 1999 and he resigned in 2002 to go into politics.

He was turbanned as the Kogunan Sokoto by the late Sultan of Sokoto in 2001.

She has appeared on Morning Ride many times. I remember one particular occasion, when she appeared with King Sunny Ade to promote their songs about family planning ( "Choices" and "Wait For Me" ) in 1990. Danladi Bako was interviewing them and they were responding to his questions, when an air force officer sitting near me exclaimed, "Wow!" He was shocked because he didn't know that King Sunny Ade could speak proper English. He kept on exclaiming throughout that segment, "Wow! You don't mean it! This is Sunny!".

Wow!

I didn't see this earlier - would've given it a shot.

Pamela's "assistant" was Danny Gwira, a karate expert and son of a Ghanaian ambassador.

He had a relationship with her and a very public and messy breakup.

Wouldn't want to go into further details about the two.

So sad about Pamela's predicament. cry

May God comfort and strengthen her.

My sister and I referred to Mallam Danladi Bako as the "funky mallam."

Debonair, suave and urbane (are those words synonyms?) he was. Yes, sir!

After he was turbanned Kogunan Sakwatto, he started wearing a traditional turban (nothing wrong with that!)

He contested first for the governorship position and later a senatorial seat in Sokoto State but lost on both ocassions.

I've not heard about him since.

He'll be 60 this year.

There was quite a media hype for 'Choices' and 'Wait for me.'

The brains behind the production kept the nation in suspense as to what the collaboration between Sunny and Onyeka was exactly about.

Some suggested that maybe something romatic was going on (reminds you of Dbanj and Genevieve?)

When the songs and videos were eventually released, some who had a crush on Onyeka must have been relieved. grin

Pic 1 : Sunny and Onyeka in the video

Other pics: Onyeka's looks about that time

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by johnie: 6:39am On Apr 01, 2017
Pic 1 Onyeka

Pic 2: Mallam Bako

Pic 3: Alhaji Bako, on the right, with his predecessor at NBC, Dr. Tom Adaba on the left

Pic 4: Alhaji Bako (left) with Dr. Adaba

1 Share

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by johnie: 7:10am On Apr 01, 2017
Sunny and Onyeka recently

Onyeka then

1 Share

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by johnie: 7:22am On Apr 01, 2017
Naptu2, please mention me when you put up these memory refreshers.

Nice one bruv!

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by naptu2: 8:06am On Apr 01, 2017
johnie:

Wow!

I didn't see this earlier - would've given it a shot.

Pamela's "assistant" was Danny Gwira. A Ghanian karate expert and son of a Ghanian ambassador.

He had a relationship with her and a very public and messy breakup.

Wouldn't want to go into further details about the two.

So sad about Pamela's predicament. cry

My sister and I referred to Mallam Danladi Bako as the "funky mallam." Debonair, suave and urbane (are those words synonyms?) he was.

After he was turbanned Kogunan Sakwatto, he started wearing a traditional turban (nothing wrong with that!)

He contested first for the governorship position and later a senatorial seat in Sokoto State but lost on both ocassions.

I've not heard about him since.

He'll be 60 this year.

There was quite a media hype for 'Choices' and 'Wait for me.'

The brains behind the production kept the nation in suspense as to what the collaboration between Sunny and Onyeka was exactly about.

Some suggested that maybe something romatic was going on (reminds you of Dbanj and Genevieve?)

When the songs and videos were eventually released, some who had a crush on Onyeka must have been relieved. grin

Pic 1 : Sunny and Onyeka in the video

Other pics: Onyeka's looks about that time

The other reason for the rumours about Sunny and Onyeka was their previous duet. Remember that they released a track called "Let Them Say/Ma Dawon Lohun" in 1988. That song was a hit and it started a rumour that Sunny and Onyeka were dating (because of the lyrics of the song).

The aid agencies that promoted Wait For Me and Choices knew this and they capitalised on it.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by johnie: 8:32am On Apr 01, 2017
naptu2:

The other reason for the rumours about Sunny and Onyeka was their previous duet. Remember that they released a track called "Let Them Say/Ma Dawon Lohun" in 1988. That song was a hit and it started a rumour that Sunny and Onyeka were dating (because of the lyrics of the song).

The aid agencies that promoted Wait For Me and Choices knew this and they capitalised on it.

Gbam!
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by naptu2: 10:02am On Apr 01, 2017
Tag caveatemptor
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by Caveatemptor(m): 3:51pm On Apr 01, 2017
naptu2:
Tag caveatemptor

Naptu2,
You don finally tag me when case don close?
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by naptu2: 4:51pm On Apr 01, 2017
Caveatemptor:

Naptu2,
You don finally tag me when case don close?

Pele
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by Caveatemptor(m): 5:46pm On Apr 01, 2017
naptu2:

Pele

No wahala.
Next time make you tag me as you finish your OP.
Nice thread as usual.
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by naptu2: 5:58pm On Apr 01, 2017
Caveatemptor:

No wahala.
Next time make you tag me as you finish your OP.
Nice thread as usual.

Thanks.
Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by oruma19: 6:35pm On Apr 01, 2017
When entertainment still had some form of reputation and decency....God bless our olden days entertainers...Ras kimono, Orits wiliki,majek fashek, onyeka onwenu, Ebenezer obey, ik dairo, king sunny ade, wasiu ayinde, barrister, echo toikumo, rex Lawson, Osita osadebe, sir warrior, sunny okosuns, bright Chimezie, charlyboy, mike okri, mandators, they didn't just entertain us, we learnt lessons from their songs..not all this scata money, maga don pay, shake up ur bombom we hear these days..

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by johnie: 8:32pm On Apr 02, 2017
oruma19:
When entertainment still had some form of reputation and decency.... God bless our olden days entertainers...they didn't just entertain us, we learnt lessons from their songs..not all this scata money, maga don pay, shake up ur bombom we hear these days..

You forgot to add "pop something, shayo, Moet, Hennessy..."

grin

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback: Can You Identify The Stars In These Photos? by naptu2: 9:35pm On Jun 10, 2017
Aha! I've remembered his name! The Okojie guy who often sat in for Danladi Bako and also hosted the show in the early 1990s and was also sports editor of Vanguard Newspapers in the mid-1980s is Chris Okojie.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kay Obum: I Thought Of Committing Suicide When I Got Burnt (photos) / Zebrudaya Visits Tunde Alabi In The Hospital (pics) / DJ Cuppy: "I Traveled To London To Catch Small Breeze" - People React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.