Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,892 members, 7,817,626 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? (10299 Views)

My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires / First Time Landlord : I Shunned A Family House To Build Mine / As A Teenage Landlord I Get Intimidated By My Tenants What Do I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by sosexy111: 8:24am On Mar 25, 2017
Sometime ago, I was scammed of huge amount due to the fact that the agent arranged with an elderly person to pose as the house owner even to the extent that I went directly to the man's house with the agent to pay and collect the receipts.
Weeks later, I went to start work there for packing in, lo and behold it was all scam, even the so called landlord wasn't living in the house I went to. It was a house up for rent though the owner hasn't packed out his remaining properties but no longer there.
In fact to cut the long gist short. For months till i gave up, I couldn't get my cash back and never saw the agent. The receipts were fake too.

Please who can hint me on how to confirm an actual house owner before making payments.
Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by emeijeh(m): 8:26am On Mar 25, 2017
What city?

1 Like

Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by sosexy111: 8:30am On Mar 25, 2017
emeijeh:
What city?
Lagos city.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by ozome15(m): 8:32am On Mar 25, 2017
sosexy111:
Sometime ago, I was scammed of huge amount due to the fact that the agent arranged with an elderly person to pose as the house owner even to the extent that I went directly to the man's house with the agent to pay and collect the receipts.
Weeks later, I went to start work there for packing in, lo and behold it was all scam, even the so called landlord wasn't living in the house I went to. It was a house up for rent though the owner hasn't packed out his remaining properties but no longer there.
In fact to cut the long gist short. For months till u gave up, I couldn't get my cash back and never saw the agent. The receipts were fake too.

Please who can hint me on how to confirm an actual house owner before making payments.
The best is just look for a house that is managed by a lawyer. Because one those so called agents use my house for such after that case, I just gave my house to a lawyer to manage it for me. Even if am not in the country I have noting to fear.

Lalasticlala..
Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by ozome15(m): 8:33am On Mar 25, 2017
sosexy111:
In fact to cut the long gist short. For months till u gave up, I couldn't get my cash back and never saw the agent. The receipts were fake too.

The best is just look for a house that is managed by a lawyer. Because one those so called agents use my house for such after that case, I just gave my house to a lawyer to manage it for me. Even if am not in the country I have noting to fear.

Lalasticlala..
Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by Cutehector(m): 8:41am On Mar 25, 2017
People have to eat grin
Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by Nobody: 9:13am On Mar 25, 2017
If your rent expire don't renew it the agent will disturb you, don't accept the landlord might come him self

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by tukdi: 9:19am On Mar 25, 2017
How much was the rent?

Do you have the agent OR fake Landlord's phone number?
Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by sosexy111: 9:25am On Mar 25, 2017
tukdi:
How much was the rent?

Do you have the agent OR fake Landlord's phone number?
no, I no longer have it.. What else could I have done? The police even got tired of the whole thing.

I am now searching for an affordable mini flat or 2bd flat to rent but so scared. I don't trust anyone at all. I don't believe in all these agents anymore.
Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by olanaijateam: 11:52am On Mar 25, 2017
cool
Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by Badgers14: 11:53am On Mar 25, 2017
grin

1 Like

Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by Tazdroid(m): 11:53am On Mar 25, 2017
Hmm
Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by botad(m): 11:54am On Mar 25, 2017
I wish I know.
Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by Nobody: 11:55am On Mar 25, 2017
It's very sad, the elders who should be the ones upholding morality are the ones throwing it to the dogs.

Op, the only way to be sure is by asking around. Have many sources that confirms that the person is the actual owner..

Good luck bro..

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by mrmrmister: 11:56am On Mar 25, 2017
Jeffboi:
I'd your rent expire don't renew it the agent will disturb you, don't accept the landlord might come him self

What is this guy saying?

Too many Drunkards just dey Nairaland . grin grin

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by Tazdroid(m): 11:57am On Mar 25, 2017
If you ain't the only one residing there, you could confirm from other tenants who've been there when the "landlord" comes.

If you are, then hold off on further rent payment until the real landlord comes with documents to prove and insist on him showing you the documents because you've been duped and it could happen to anybody.

6 Likes

Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by Nobody: 11:59am On Mar 25, 2017
mrmrmister:

What is this guy saying?

As in eh. He even add comma for the post

8 Likes

Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by Nobody: 11:59am On Mar 25, 2017
Na wa o
Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by Bisjosh(f): 12:00pm On Mar 25, 2017
Jeffboi:
I'd your rent expire don't renew it the agent will disturb you, don't accept the landlord might come him self

mrmrmister:

What is this guy saying?

grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by jaymejate: 12:02pm On Mar 25, 2017
Carry police go the house say they wan close am.
The landlord go show. Then pay to him direct

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by Zirah: 12:03pm On Mar 25, 2017
Easy peasy. I got my first rented apartment through an agent, online for that matter. I got my 2nd apartment through a different agent and online too. And when I wanted to get out, I used agents to get new tenants as well. Also used agents to get flatmates. Just ask around from the tenants living in the house you have interest in.

sosexy111:

Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by SNOWCREAM(m): 12:04pm On Mar 25, 2017
Lol, agents and fraud are like?

Someone add that meme

1 Like

Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by divinelove(m): 12:05pm On Mar 25, 2017
tongue you have to be sharp like razor or men go chop you.

The moment you pay for any house make sure u take possession n never pay for a house dt is not 100% vacant.

Never pay cash, pay through bank transfer so u have evidence of payment immediately in case casala burst

All those he will pack out next week pay today na scam, dnt be desperate.

U dnt need d landlord in most cases BC there are caretakers,lawyers etc jst ascertain the position of d person u r dealing with. Secretly interview old tenants to kw who is who.

Transfer money to the person you dealt with directly

Hope this helps

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by BBBlaze: 12:07pm On Mar 25, 2017
Dem say “once beaten twice shy”...so my friend shine ur eyes well well for inside lagos because big eyes on b open eyes ooo...confirm every landlord frm pple living in the area or neighbourhood by asking indepth questions, bfor u make any payment!
Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by money121(m): 12:15pm On Mar 25, 2017
sad
Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by greggng: 12:15pm On Mar 25, 2017
sosexy111:
In fact to cut the long gist short. For months till i gave up, I couldn't get my cash back and never saw the agent. The receipts were fake too.

Is simple integrity od an agent is a major factor in relying on an agent. Do your due deligence. Ask people around about the agent. Find out those he has rented house to in the past. If he a good agent he will direct you to some of his client that u can visit and ask question. Professionally honest agents belong to a professional body that will take up ur case against fraudulent agents and sanction accordingly.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by doskie(m): 12:16pm On Mar 25, 2017
sosexy111:
no, I no longer have it.. What else could I have done? The police even got tired of the whole thing.

I am now searching for an affordable mini flat or 2bd flat to rent but so scared. I don't trust anyone at all. I don't believe in all these agents anymore.
what else you could have done?
Geo placing! Yes! You got that right. Geo placing!!
With the assistance of the police and your network provider, the exact location of the mofucker can be known, caught and jailed
One less bastard off the street.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by living2013(m): 12:17pm On Mar 25, 2017
sosexy111:

This is a very sad case but you don't need to give up on agents. There are scammers in different field of life. You just fell in the trap of a scammer posing as an agent. You need to deal with a real agent, one with authentic office or location. However, which part of lagos are you looking for an accommodation
Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by 3Dimension: 12:22pm On Mar 25, 2017
Before making payment ask for the keys to the house, if it currently occupied talk to the present occupants and also ask for the Nepa bill and other utility bills else you go enter debt. They can help you

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by brainpulse: 12:23pm On Mar 25, 2017
Go to the house, on your own meet other occupants of the building, have a chat with them and ask every question even to the attitude of the landlord, history of the house, any related or unusual occurrence etc. It's very important, through that you will know the landlord or if the person you are paying to is genuine.
Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by Albeler(m): 12:29pm On Mar 25, 2017
I think the only way to comfirm this is by enquring from the already living tenants, who they paid to or who the landlord is.
Re: How Can I Confirm The Actual Landlord I Am Paying A New Rent To? by mexioni(m): 12:33pm On Mar 25, 2017
go to the neighborhood and ask questions before u ever pay for any apartment

(1) (2) (Reply)

For Architectural Designs, Call 08116810462 / »»» 4 Bedroom Duplex @ N68M Negotiable ««« / 5 Bedroom Duplex BQ For Sale 80M LAST!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.