Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,043 members, 7,814,560 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? (2779 Views)

Uk-based Nigerian Student Explains Why He Did A Presentation For Ban Of Amala / Graphic Photo: Man Kills An Entire Chimpanzee Family At Sapele, Delta State / Yoruba Names By Region (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by Ikengawo: 8:02am On Mar 27, 2017

This has to be one of the great wonders of history. Does anyone know the details behind the conquest?
Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by uckennety(m): 8:28am On Mar 27, 2017
Op you can ask how did ROME become an empire

Iranu!!!!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by 989900: 8:29am On Mar 27, 2017
'Melecine'. cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by Mynd44: 8:33am On Mar 27, 2017
How did small greece conquer the world up to the shores of India?

How did Egypt do it?

How did the Romans do it?

Smh

2 Likes

Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by Nobody: 8:36am On Mar 27, 2017
Op..
grin grin grin this war no go take prisoners oh..

E go mean die.. cheesy
Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by PapaBrowne(m): 8:36am On Mar 27, 2017
The greatest mistake the Benin made at the time was to make the Edo language an elitist lingual spoken only by the Binis. If they acted like the English, they would have forced their subjects to speak Bini and the rest would have been historically. The entire SW would have been speaking Bini today.

4 Likes

Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by bakynes(m): 8:46am On Mar 27, 2017
Oyo and Ogun was not part of it.
OP there was nothing like Yoruba then or SW just villages and towns besides tides have turned around against the empires and their subjects.

Brittania Now Britain is a better country than Rome, Italy
isreal now a better country than Egypt. Lagos a better state than Edo(Benin) state,so tides change.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by OkoNDOoBo: 8:48am On Mar 27, 2017
conquer..
I can't remember Benin fighting a war @op.
if they really conquer what re the evidences to prove that today??

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by Eastwalk(m): 8:50am On Mar 27, 2017
OLU317 come and cc oo
Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by Nobody: 8:53am On Mar 27, 2017
Mynd44:
How did small greece conquer the world up to the shores of India?

How did Egypt do it?

How did the Romans do it?

Smh

Remember: "there are no silly questions"

Maybe the OP wants to spark a conversation.

I think a lot has to do with ambition and a lot of planning.

These things usually don't happen by accident.
Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by Olu317(m): 9:28am On Mar 27, 2017
Eastwalk:
OLU317 come and cc oo
Laughing seriously. Why disturb my peace Eastwalk? Bini Kingdom that British ravaged in comparison with Yoruba kingdom that British colonialist used persuasion to adopt her sovereignty. Have you forgotten that the general governor who resided in Lagos went on foot to Ibadan /ILE IFE to mediate on the warring faction of Ekitiparapo and Ibadan warriors ? What happened to the Bini kingdom after this mediation and the rest of Nigeria's acclaimed self glorified kingdoms ? The op has no true knowledge of our(Yoruba) history and Bini People. Even in the Bini palace, their aristocrats used Yoruba as their Franca lingual for hundreds (100)of years. I am not interested in all these cork and bull story

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Mar 27, 2017
Benin conquering Yoruba That, I am not aware of.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by bigfrancis21: 4:27pm On Mar 27, 2017
Olu317:
Laughing seriously. Why disturb my peace Eastwalk? Bini Kingdom that British ravaged in comparison with Yoruba kingdom that British colonialist used persuasion to adopt her sovereignty. Have you forgotten that the general governor who resided in Lagos went on foot to Ibadan /ILE IFE to mediate on the warring faction of Ekitiparapo and Ibadan warriors ? What happened to the Bini kingdom after this mediation and the rest of Nigeria's acclaimed self glorified kingdoms ? The op has no true knowledge of our(Yoruba) history and Bini People. Even in the Bini palace, their aristocrats used Yoruba as their Franca lingual for hundreds (100)of years. I am not interested in all these cork and bull story

Yoruba revisionist. Anything to soothe your ego. cheesy

8 Likes

Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by RedboneSmith(m): 4:54pm On Mar 27, 2017
Single cities have conquered larger territories than the Bini empire before. Rome. Carthage.

And Benin never conquered the whole SW.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by musicwriter(m): 5:48pm On Mar 27, 2017
War is all about fire-power. He who have more weapon of war would most likely always win a war. Of course, this does not mean the vanquished is an inferior civilization. Because, if you're talking about civilization in general, my own research shows the Yorubas appear to have been more advanced, and more diplomatic in dealing with issues.

Remember, Egypt (Kemet) was the most advanced civilization when it was conquered; first by Assyrians, then Greece, Rome, Ottomans, France, Britain. Rome itself was a more advanced civilization when they were over ran by the Babarians. So, it's not about size, war is about weapon and fire-power, and a society prone to war would develop military technology to win wars.

In memorable history; Israel, a tiny but well armed country, defeated all her more populous neigbors- Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, Syria and their allies; Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Algeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by YonkijiSappo: 6:05pm On Mar 27, 2017
lol this thread stinks of Igbo low self esteem.

Funnily enough all the Yoruba people you claim the Benins "conquered" all claim Ife Origin, while many of the so called "unconquered" Igbos claim origin in Benin from oguta to Onitsha to Delta Ibos to Ikwerre to Oba of Ogba...ha... una no dey shame? cheesy

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by Olu317(m): 7:42pm On Mar 27, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Yoruba revisionist. Anything to soothe your ego. cheesy
Hahaha! do you have a contrary opinion? I bet you don't because truth don't lie. Do you want to know more? You better don't come my way because you will run to seek a shelter to cover up your info.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by PapaBrowne(m): 9:28pm On Mar 27, 2017
YorubaMuslims:

Is there anyone that speak the Fulani language in Nigeria apart from Fulani people?

The used a different strategy. Adopted the Hausa language and turned it into a lingua franca
Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by YonkijiSappo: 12:45am On Mar 28, 2017
These people sef.
Even with half of Yoruba territory supposedly experiencing some form of Benin influence plus all the parts of Igboland and the Delta in Benin control, the empire was at its height (90,000 km²) still smaller than Oyo empire (150,000 km²)

Do't even talk about the Igbos.. cos those ones never had any civilization to talk about. Only to be creating "Devils's advocate threads" upandan, trying to pitch the Binis against the Yorubas. cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by YungMillionaire: 12:55am On Mar 28, 2017
cool
Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by AkinPhysicist: 1:03am On Mar 28, 2017
cool
Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by Ofodirinwa: 1:28am On Mar 28, 2017
Archaeological investigations at the prehistoric iron smelting site of Lejja, Nigeria, made possible the study of some large scale iron smelting debris – evidence of a once thriving iron smelting community. The main village squarein Lejja, contains over 800 slag blocks weighing between 34 and 57 kg. Furnaces, tuyères and slag are visible on the surfacein many places. The site has been radiocarbon dated to approximately 2000 BC. Iron smelting is currently extinct in Lejja,and there are no active iron smiths in the entire community.
http://ukpuru.tumblr.com/post/130348433827/iron-smelting-in-leja-northern-igboland-4000

Meanwhile Ile Ife was founded in the 12th and 13th century AD with no known artefacts from the Yoruba region predating the bronzes there. Funny enough the bronzes there are even younger than the Bini bronzes which are younger than the Igbo ones but they all use the same lost wax technique that originated in Biafra.

2 Likes

Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by YonkijiSappo: 8:10am On Mar 28, 2017
^^ trying in desperation to "save face" I see.
lol!

In case you don't know, the ife Bronzes are the ones that predate those from Benin, and not the other way round.
Re: How Did A Single City (benin) Conquer An Entire Region (SW)? by Olu317(m): 8:31am On Mar 28, 2017
Ofodirinwa:

http://ukpuru.tumblr.com/post/130348433827/iron-smelting-in-leja-northern-igboland-4000

Meanwhile Ile Ife was founded in the 12th and 13th century AD with no known artefacts from the Yoruba region predating the bronzes there. Funny enough the bronzes there are even younger than the Bini bronzes which are younger than the Igbo ones but they all use the same lost wax technique that originated in Biafra.

Stupid
Using vulgar word won't solve the problem. The reality is that Yoruba didn't come up with any sort of story to bulldoze her way to reckoning. Facts exist from time immemorial about people. Yoruba people of today didn't give the name to themselves because the people had existed for over two thousands years.
ILE IFE didn't claim anything but had been developing before Yoruba had contact with Bini. In fact the London museum, there are evidence of both Artifacts of YORUBA AND BINI. You people don't need to call us names because we show You LOVE all the time. However for you to know that Yoruba IS KEY TO DEVELOPMENTS AND SUPERIOR TO BINI KINGDOM.

@ Bigfrancis21, come out here and read this because you have accused me severally of being a revisionist and that I don't upload any links. Now for the sake of some people and my desire to educate you guys with Yoruba superiority over BINI in term of exposure and wherewithal.

One out of many in my care: scholar. harvard. edu/files/blier

Enjoy the facts you see in it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Is What Arusi Means In Igbo: Don't Be Deceived / Check Out This Picture Of Igbo Ladies Back In The Precolonial Era / Ipob And Precolonial "Igboland"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.