Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,050 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:23 PM

Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage (9609 Views)

University Workers Mobilise For Strike Over Non-Implementation Of Minimum Wage / Has Any Federal Civil Servant Received The New Minimum Wage? / How To Calculate Your New Salary Based On New National Minimum Wage: Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by voiceoftheupcom: 6:37am On Mar 28, 2017
RECESSION: WORKERS AWAIT REVIEW OF MINIMUM WAGE
source: http://www.eyesoflagos.com/2017/03/recession-workers-await-review-of.html

With current economic hardship, there is no doubt that Nigerian workers are not finding things easy
Nigerian workers are anxiously waiting for the Federal Government to implement the proposed N45% increase in minimum wage requested by the organised labour. Their demands have been justified in different quarters.
Many have reasoned that with escalating prices of food stuff, gas, rent and others, the current N18, 000 minimum wage is no longer sustainable
Last week, minister of labour and employment, Sen. Chris Ngige, hinted that the Technical Committee on Minimum Wage and Palliatives may be submitted to President Muhammadu Buhari this week.
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) had earlier in the year given a deadline of May 1, 2017 for the government to implement the new minimum wage of face breach of industrial peace in the country.
To the average worker on the street, he is unconcerned with the price of crude in the international market, what is paramount to him is food in the table. Sadly, with the current economic challenge, that seems to be becoming a herculean task.
It will be recalled that on June 3, 2016 a joint technical committee of the Federal Government and organised labour was inaugurated on palliatives and minimum wage.
Close to a year, the tripartite committee expected to commence negotiations on the new minimum wage is yet to be inaugurated. Most workers say that they are already losing patience.
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) recently accused the Federal Government of engaging in unnecessary delay in constituting a tripartite committee to negotiate the new minimum wage for Nigerian workers.
“The current administration is dragging its feet in constituting a tripartite committee to negotiate a new minimum wage.
“Against the background of the harsh economic times and the impact on the working people, we cannot wait indefinitely for government to respond at its own time.
“Though, we have been told by the administration that the panel will be constituted, we enjoin the government to urgently sort out whatever is the constraint it is facing.
“Federal Government must act on the matter before we are forced to take actions that may be unpleasant,” NLC president, Ayuba Wabba, said at the 4th NLC National Gender Conference and Election of the Leadership of National Women Commission in Abuja.
Speaking on the challenges being faced by workers, Wabba said, “In the last 12 or more months, the inflationary trend in the economy has gone over the roof, and the mass of our people, the salaried and the teeming millions of the unemployed are facing very difficult times.
“Amidst these difficulties , we have contended with a number of state governments that have misplaced priorities and have regularly refused to pay workers in the state pay roll, their salaries as and when due.
“Similarly, pensions of retried public servants have gone unpaid for several months, and in some cases years .
“We have over the last 15 months fought these state governments to pay up these outstanding wages and pension liabilities they owe workers.
“We will continue to do this till all salaries and pensions across the country are fully paid up.’’
More Nigerians are beginning to join the campaign for minimum wage increment.
Recently, Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu said that if corruption must be nipped in the bud, it has become imperative for the abolition of security votes presently being enjoyed by State governors and the executive, just as he called for the need to peg the minimum wage at N50,000.
He said, “When a man who earns N18,000, cannot buy a bag of rice, how then can such a person take care of his family? Does it make sense to him if you tell him not to find alternative means of catering to the needs of his family?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by Lucy001(f): 6:38am On Mar 28, 2017
grin

The govt should do the needful and do some increase in wages, things are expensive out der

Sms vote TBoss to 32052 via your mobile phones pls

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by shikshark: 6:41am On Mar 28, 2017
it takes Nass just few seconds to apporove themselves bounty allocations but its more than 8 months now and they find it difficult to upgrade the stipend they called minimum wage.
I always pity these pple, pay rent, pay children school fees, transportation, etc with 18k.
this country needs a saviour

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by Nobody: 7:18am On Mar 28, 2017
18K is way too small, it's a pity some workers never collect pass one month salary this year.
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by kingphilip(m): 7:18am On Mar 28, 2017
The increase is long overdue and should have been implemented long before now.. I just hope they implement it sha because our government prefer to major in minor and minor in major..

If you think it's high-time for upward review of the minimum wage punch like

2 Likes

Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by Smooyis(m): 7:19am On Mar 28, 2017
Salary increment is already overdue going by the rate of naira devaluation and hyper-inflation being experienced in the country.
If the legislators and other politicians can earn so much, the government has no excuse not to increase the minimum wage of #18,000 per month.
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by edlion57(m): 7:19am On Mar 28, 2017
If der increase d salary der will also look for an avenue to collect more...APC gift Na Satan gift...give u with left hand and collect More

1 Like

Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by sakalisis(m): 7:19am On Mar 28, 2017
cheesy
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by elitejosef: 7:21am On Mar 28, 2017
Please increase o
My salary came in yesterday and e don nearly finish as I do my calculation
Chai
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by iKnowevents(m): 7:21am On Mar 28, 2017
Hmmmm in Nigeria, recession is equals to oppression. Taxation increased. Custom duty increased. Tariffs increased. Electricity bills increased. Market prices increased.

Salaries the means of fighting the increases reduced. In most cases it became unpaid. You have to wonder if the government is using recession to decrease the population, because mortality rate increased.

You can have your dream classy wedding come true with 805K. See the breakdown

https://www.nairaland.com/3706288/simple-classy-wedding-total-expenses#54988531
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by Nobody: 7:23am On Mar 28, 2017
They should also increase NYSC allowance... Corpers are seriously starving.....

2 Likes

Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by PetrePan(m): 7:25am On Mar 28, 2017
I didnt know things are really bad until when i wanted to buy roasted corn yesterday..corn that is #30 is now 100naira

1 Like

Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by Nobody: 7:27am On Mar 28, 2017
Lucy001:
grin

The govt should do the needful and do some increase in wages, things are expensive out der

Sms vote TBoss to 32052 via your mobile phones pls

who s tboss?
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by miketayo(m): 7:27am On Mar 28, 2017
kingphilip:
The increase is long overdue and should have been implemented long before now.. I just hope they implement it sha because our government prefer to major in minor and minor in major..

If you think it's high-time for upward review of the minimum wage punch like

Y r u looking for likes
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by Tonymegabush1(m): 7:28am On Mar 28, 2017
I wonder wot is taking them so long to implement the increase abi no be to sign one paper like dat make Una bring am I will sign it on behalf of the presido
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by Lucy001(f): 7:29am On Mar 28, 2017
Eaa247:

who s tboss?
A contestant in the ungoing Big Brother Nigeria!
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by Abudu2000(m): 7:30am On Mar 28, 2017
uzoclinton:
They should also increase NYSC allowance... Corpers are seriously starving.....
oga fly go one side make we see road !!!
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by godunia(m): 7:31am On Mar 28, 2017
PetrePan:
I didnt know things are really bad until when i wanted to buy roasted corn yesterday..corn that is #30 is now 100naira
it's not as if things are very bad, we are bad. We use every opportunity to exploit one and another yet blame government. is corn imported?
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by Stanbeto: 7:34am On Mar 28, 2017
When shall it be?
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by Nobody: 7:36am On Mar 28, 2017
Lucy001:

A contestant in the ungoing Big Brother Nigeria!
oh! its unfortunate
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by rozayx5(m): 7:36am On Mar 28, 2017
shikshark:
it takes Nass just few seconds to apporove themselves bounty allocations but its more than 8 months now and they find it difficult to upgrade the stipend they called minimum wage.
I always pity these pple, pay rent, pay children school fees, transportation, etc with 18k.
this country needs a saviour

i thought the dollard

promised Change cheesy cheesy
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by PetrePan(m): 7:36am On Mar 28, 2017
godunia:
it's not as if things are very bad, we are bad. We use every opportunity to exploit one and another yet blame government. is corn imported?
na wetin first come my mind b dat..what can cause inflation in corn price?..
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by Lucy001(f): 7:38am On Mar 28, 2017
Eaa247:

oh! its unfortunate
why? grin
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by Nobody: 7:41am On Mar 28, 2017
Lucy001:

why? grin
its a program I don't watch. Tboss s fair lady with a ring on her nose
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by crazygod(m): 8:15am On Mar 28, 2017
E-diots!!! Go school una no go. Raise salary to the detriment of the majority population that doesn't have govt work. As if that's the solution to every challenge.
Fuel scarcity.... Solution is salary increment
Boko haram...... Solution is salary increment
No light...... Solution is salary increment.
A won Olodo
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by crazygod(m): 8:16am On Mar 28, 2017
godunia:

Do we even have price regulatory board?
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by kingphilip(m): 8:16am On Mar 28, 2017
miketayo:

Y r u looking for likes
no I'm looking for miketayo

Shey you loss ni
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by jericco1(m): 8:43am On Mar 28, 2017
The hustle is real
Re: Recession: Workers Await Review Of Minimum Wage by InvestinOwerri(m): 9:45am On Mar 28, 2017
I really pity state government workers because I cant even imagine how they survive in the face of all these price hike/inflation. On the other hand, how is government going to pay the new minimum wage if implemented considering the fact they've not been able to pay the old one as at when due? Nigeria is really bastardized and their seems to be no way out of the quagmire except there is a radical change!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Job Application Letter ★ / Abia Teachers Embark On Indefinite Strike Over Non-Payment Of Salaries / The Dos And Don'ts Of Applying For A Tech Internship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.