Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

Bad News: Skill Acquisition Will Not Solve The Issue Of Unemployment - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Bad News: Skill Acquisition Will Not Solve The Issue Of Unemployment (875 Views)

Imo Records Highest Rate Of Unemployment As NBS Releases Statistics / Unemployment - Why A Fool Is Always Successful In Job Hunting Than A Wise Man / 40,000 Youths For Saraki’s Skill Acquisition Scheme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bad News: Skill Acquisition Will Not Solve The Issue Of Unemployment by Nobody: 9:00pm On Mar 29, 2017
A lot of people have been preaching the solution of skill acquisition to graduates as a way out of unemployment but the sad news is that it is NOT going to do much to create employment and wealth for the massive number of graduates out there. Even if every graduate learns a skill, the way they found it difficult getting a job is also going to be the same way they will find it difficult meeting someone who will request for their skills. The reason still remains that the demand for labour is actually lower than the supply of available man power to work.

Let's take for example when 500,000 graduates decide to learn the same skill of shoe making, are we going to have have a very high demand for shoes such that every graduate gets patronised and he or she earns a decent living wage of at least 100k a month? Especially when you also add the number of non graduates who have already been on the business, experienced and established years before them while they were still in school. And also the already imported available shoes that will reduce the demand. The same thing applies to every other skill available.

The only solution to unemployment is to have a manufacturing economy where we produce all our needs and quit importing almost everything. This will put to work a whole load of unemployed graduates. But from the look of things it appears to be an uphill task. A lot of graduates are going to be stranded and frustrated in future trying make a decent income. A lot will have to settle for very much less or nothing. The future actually looks like it's going to be disastrous for a lot of people.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bad News: Skill Acquisition Will Not Solve The Issue Of Unemployment by lordbish(m): 9:09pm On Mar 29, 2017
I don't get your point. Not every graduate will want to learn a skill and not everyone will learn the same skill in the same area, but everyone is applying in big firms that won't take them. Pride is what is killing most people.
Re: Bad News: Skill Acquisition Will Not Solve The Issue Of Unemployment by Nobody: 9:14pm On Mar 29, 2017
lordbish:
I don't get your point. Not every graduate will want to learn a skill and not everyone will learn the same skill in the same area, but everyone is applying in big firms that won't take them. Pride is what is killing most people.
Everybody will not learn the same skill but a group of people will learn the same skill. We can't have only one person doing baking. Thousands or millions of people will learn the same baking if we all decide to follow the "good advice" of acquiring a skill. If that much people go into baking will there be a high demand for their services such that they can earn a decent income from it considering the competition? You get it?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad News: Skill Acquisition Will Not Solve The Issue Of Unemployment by dhantey324(m): 9:18pm On Mar 29, 2017
I totally agree with you.. Government should do more to create an enabling environment for people to thrive.
Re: Bad News: Skill Acquisition Will Not Solve The Issue Of Unemployment by matrixme(m): 9:30pm On Mar 29, 2017
At least let 500,000 graduates learn the skill first and let's see what will happen. It's just like saying people should stop going to school because a lot of graduates are unemployed.

1 Like

Re: Bad News: Skill Acquisition Will Not Solve The Issue Of Unemployment by lordbish(m): 9:39pm On Mar 29, 2017
Ontarget:

Everybody will not learn the same skill but a group of people will learn the same skill. We can't have only one person doing baking. Thousands or millions of people will learn the same baking if we all decide to follow the "good advice" of acquiring a skill. You get it?
Yes sire
Re: Bad News: Skill Acquisition Will Not Solve The Issue Of Unemployment by maxwell767(m): 9:46pm On Mar 29, 2017
Op u are right..

But those Old wrinkled Quarter to die lazy sluggish retired immature and criminals that are leading us in an Old Version way will never step aside and allow we the young smart and quick thinking generation to occupy at least the lowest political leadership in this country

They'll rather keep ruling over and over and over again...

I jst wonder if cloning is possible... I can bet my balls that these Old dunce will clone themselves every year jst to remain at the top..

All they do is use the youths and dump like tissue paper undecided

1 Like

Re: Bad News: Skill Acquisition Will Not Solve The Issue Of Unemployment by jericco1(m): 12:59am On Mar 30, 2017
I concur
Re: Bad News: Skill Acquisition Will Not Solve The Issue Of Unemployment by Nobody: 6:17am On Mar 30, 2017
Op I concur with u, some will even tell you to go and start business as if it easy like that, what about funds are we going to steal the funds.

1 Like

Re: Bad News: Skill Acquisition Will Not Solve The Issue Of Unemployment by Nobody: 9:57am On Mar 30, 2017
matrixme:
At least let 500,000 graduates learn the skill first and let's see what will happen. It's just like saying people should stop going to school because a lot of graduates are unemployed.
I am not saying they shouldn't learn skills. But if we are talking about generating good income skill acquisition wouldn't solve the problem.
Re: Bad News: Skill Acquisition Will Not Solve The Issue Of Unemployment by Ademat7(m): 10:33am On Mar 30, 2017
OP I get your point. let me add to it

1. do u know that food is a big issue?
*when u spend more than half of salary on it #problem
*when u don't eat well #problem
p.s: in SA for example food is d cheapest thing that can any man can afford.

2.Agriculture is an industry that can absorb more graduate how?

*management: Biz admin grad,accountant, economics, banking and finance,marketing
*Science: not subsistence but commercial farming, crop production, animal husbandry,IT(agric has gone beyond analog)

3.Let us be involved in politics to be frank govt policy affect a whole lot of things including our life and the next generation's
Re: Bad News: Skill Acquisition Will Not Solve The Issue Of Unemployment by Acidosis(m): 11:01am On Mar 30, 2017
There are more skills and business ideas than all the undergraduate courses in U.I and OAU put together.

Baking and shoe business aren't the mainstay ideas out there. Interested graduates will make the difference when they invest some time in understanding the demands of the market.

When the market for shoe business gets too saturated, relocate or diversify. All companies do that, for those who haven't experienced such, they have it stated in their business plans. They all conduct risk assessment... They all have an exit strategy. If your crude oil dries up today, shell will sell its equipment and move on, or relocate to another country... so what's the fear all about? People will get sacked anyway!

Freelance currently contributes up to 35% of US workforce. 53% of freelancers in the US believe that having a diverse portfolio of clients is more economically secure than having one employer.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/elainepofeldt/2016/10/06/new-survey-freelance-economy-shows-rapid-growth/#13d101e17c3f

There is nothing to be worried about. It is even "criminal" for a graduate to rush into shoe business or any business because someone preached a message. Of what use is the certificate when one cannot study the market? When shoe markers become too many in Lagos, relocate! That company will do same to you when they need more profit in a branch office. Nothing is free in the world, it is tougher out there in the corporate world, many are battling with competition. When they cannot relocate, they hire graduates to market and promote their products... when the going gets tougher, they communicate their brands in more effective manners. When that fails, they integrate their marketing communication tools. Bro, it is a tough world!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Guinness Nigeria Ongoing Recruitment / Airtel Nigeria Ongoing Recruitment / British High Commission (BHC) - 3 Positions: Detailed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.