Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,132 members, 7,825,552 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

8 Ways To Improve Your Reading Habit - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 8 Ways To Improve Your Reading Habit (469 Views)

How To Improve Your Reading Habit / 14 Ways To Cultivate A Lifetime Reading Habit By Leo Babauta / 7 Amazing Tips To Improve Your Writing Skills Quickly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

8 Ways To Improve Your Reading Habit by Naijabookworm(f): 1:33pm On Mar 31, 2017
1. Read on your Smartphone

I will be the first to tell you that eBooks are not real books, but they can be very effective tools when you have been out of practice for a long time or just trying to cultivate a habit of reading.

You know you’ll reach for your phone when you get a little downtime, i.e. standing in line for the bus, waiting for a friend or just as a security blanket in a strange place. Now instead of losing yourself on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, read a chapter of that new book.

I admit that reading on your phone for extended periods can be harmful to your body, but you can minimise the danger by dimming your screen or just reading in night mode.

2. Set a Daily Reading Goal

This takes away the intimidation of reading big books. Rather than just saying, “I’ll read one book per week”, Why not be a little more specific and say 3 chapters a day or 30 pages a day? Or just commit a specific amount of time to reading every day.

That 40 minutes downtime on the bus (this is why I love Lagos BRT by the way). The 30 minutes during your lunch break could be put to better use; Instead of catching up on office gossip, experience a combination of 2 of the greatest pleasures every known to man.

3. Read Before Bed

Research has shown that reading before bed is a great way to de-stress and wind down after a hectic day. It is also easier to make reading a habit when you associate it with things you already enjoy doing.

One thing: avoid the phone or eReader if you really plan on sleeping. A 2015 survey found that participants that used eReaders within 1 hr of their bedtime, “Took longer to fall asleep, had reduced melatonin secretion, later timing of their circadian clock, reduced next-morning alertness than when reading a paper book.”

4. Name Yourself Book Bosomed

Scottish novelist and poet Sir Walter Scott coined the phrase BOOK-BOSOMED to describe someone who carries a book at all times. The phrase first appears in Scott’s celebrated 1805 poem The Lay of the Last Minstrel.

Taking your current read wherever you go serves as a visual reminder of your goal. Put it in your bag, take it to work, school, wherever. Bring it out of your bag, put it on your desk, on your coffee table, your nightstand.

Doing this makes sure that when you have a little free time on your hands, you instantly remember you have a beautiful book waiting to be read.

Read More: https://homelandreviews.com/2017/01/09/how-to-read-more-books/

(1) (Reply)

Adaptation From Book To Screen / This Guy Can Snore For The Whole Of Nigeria. Lol (big Boys Comedy) / Active Literature Group For All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.