Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,694 members, 7,816,836 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:27 PM

Chicago Woman Becomes First Patient To Be Cured Of Sickle Cell Disease - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Chicago Woman Becomes First Patient To Be Cured Of Sickle Cell Disease (436 Views)

Is Glaucoma Hereditary? Can It Be Cured? / Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS / Chicago Woman Becomes First Patient To Be Cured Of Sickle Cell Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chicago Woman Becomes First Patient To Be Cured Of Sickle Cell Disease by 1click(f): 2:14pm On Mar 31, 2017
Hope comes to us at times like these, when we see technology working to save lives. Sickle Cell is finally curable. Iesha Thomas, who suffered from the disease is the first person to be cured.

Iesha Thomas, 33, was living with the disease that progressively got worse. It really wreaked havoc on her life after she gave birth to her daughter, resulting in her needing repeat blood transfusions and two hip replacements due to bone damage.

Sickle cell affects one in every 500 African Americans in the U.S. But the good news is this disease might be on its way out. Fingers crossed. The disease can be extremely painful. What happens is a defect that causes the oxygen-carrying red blood cells to take on a sickle-like appearance. The blood cells deliver less oxygen to the body’s tissues, causing severe pain, stroke, and even organ damage.
But a great breakthrough has occurred! Thomas is the first patient in the midwest to be cured of the Sickle Cell Disease.

READ X-Ray: Is Tope Alabi in Oro Cult? Did 'Prophet' Ajanaku initiate her?
“I just want to be at home with my daughter every day and every night,” said Thomas.
Physicians at the University of Illinois Hospital & Health Science System performed a procedure using medication to suppress her immune system and a small dose of total body radiation before doing the stem cell transplant. The procedure allows for the patient’s own bone marrow to coexist with that of the donor.

The goal of the transplant is for the stem cells to gradually take over the bone marrow’s role in producing normal, and healthy red blood cells.

Anstalk.com

Re: Chicago Woman Becomes First Patient To Be Cured Of Sickle Cell Disease by Ashleydolls(f): 2:14pm On Mar 31, 2017
Wow. That's good news. So happy for her
Re: Chicago Woman Becomes First Patient To Be Cured Of Sickle Cell Disease by sainty2k3(m): 2:37pm On Mar 31, 2017
Ashleydolls:
Wow. That's good news. So happy for her
This is not a new thing o, many (including some Nigerians) has had a successful transplant even within Nigeria, so what's new?
Re: Chicago Woman Becomes First Patient To Be Cured Of Sickle Cell Disease by Ashleydolls(f): 2:39pm On Mar 31, 2017
sainty2k3:

This is not a new thing o, many (including some Nigerians) has had a successful transplant even within Nigeria, so what's new?
Whether or not it's new, it is a good news
Re: Chicago Woman Becomes First Patient To Be Cured Of Sickle Cell Disease by sainty2k3(m): 2:47pm On Mar 31, 2017
Ashleydolls:
Whether or not it's new, it is a good news
Yes you are right, it's good even if not a news.
Sorry I didn't intend to quote you initially, I wanted to quote the Op

1 Like

Re: Chicago Woman Becomes First Patient To Be Cured Of Sickle Cell Disease by Ashleydolls(f): 2:48pm On Mar 31, 2017
sainty2k3:

Yes you are right, it's good even if not a news.
Sorry I didn't intend to quote you initially, I wanted to quote the Op
okay

(1) (Reply)

Four Step To Slimming Down / List Of Nigerian States With High Risk Of Meningitis / Top Five Fruits For Healthy Living

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.