Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

Why Automobile Batteries Fail - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Automobile Batteries Fail (7837 Views)

Automobile Workers Kick Against FG Move To Slash Vehicles Duty To 10% / Daimler To Buy ₦8.3 trillion Worth Of Batteries To Power Its Electric Vehicles / Checkout 7 Of The World’s Biggest Automobile Fairs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Automobile Batteries Fail by Vicochuko(m): 4:12pm On Apr 01, 2017
Over the years the rate at which Automobile battery goes bad has become alarming . However, such problems can be reduced if you read through this post you can get some enlightenment about batteries. Time is of the essence so i will keep it short and simple.

FACTS TO KNOW ABOUT
AUTOMOBILE
BATTERIES
1. It is made up Pb and PbO immersed in H2SO4 acid
2. Its made up of six (6) cells of about 2.12volt each connected in series .
3. The relative density of acid is about 1250 when fully charged.
4. The nominal voltage is 12volt
5. The negative (black)
terminal is smaller than the
positive (red)

WHY BATTERIES FAIL
1. Sulfation - it occurs when the
battery is discharged or when a
fully charged battery is left
standing without use i.e when
car is parked over a long
period of time
TIP-Always keep batteries fully
charged and if batteries are to
be left for a long time, say a
month or more . I
recommend taking battery to
an automobile technician to do
the needful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by Vicochuko(m): 4:30pm On Apr 01, 2017
2. Using a battery that is not
suitable for your car- often
times due to ignorance and in
order to save money ,people
go for batteries that cannot
power engines efficiently. This
always damages the cells of
the battery.
TIP- Check car manufacturers
manual when the need for
battery replacement arises .
Also lending of batteries i.e using your cars battery to start someone else's car and replacing the person's battery back to the car is not advisable. Majority of the batteries i had to fix came from this singular act.
Hey ,i am not saying that you shouldn't help a fellow out. As a matter of fact you should and one of the best method is JUMP STARTING.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by 123CarZ(m): 4:43pm On Apr 01, 2017
following
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by Vicochuko(m): 5:13pm On Apr 01, 2017
3. Ac leakage due to faulty alternators rectifier- The alternator in automobile engine is what recharges the battery, when it is being driven. If there is AC (alternating current ) leakage the battery might just go bad on time. TIP- To detect AC leakage easily , switch on your car and TURN ON the radio. Listen to the sound of the selected station, if it is distorted and noisy, BINGO there goes a faulty alternator. Visit an automobile electrician

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by veekid(m): 7:13am On Apr 02, 2017
The kinda topics on front-page this morning Ehn
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by DlawTECHY(m): 7:14am On Apr 02, 2017
An active piece to learn from.. Nice on OP.. .

In other news checkout my signature for our telegram group link.

2 Likes

Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by tammytam: 7:14am On Apr 02, 2017
Noted
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by oganass(m): 7:15am On Apr 02, 2017
tanx op
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by mckenzieRx: 7:15am On Apr 02, 2017
Nice one!
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by tetula123(m): 7:17am On Apr 02, 2017
all ye that commented before me... what shall it profit a man to miss church so as to wait for 7:am when topics are pushed to FP. In a bid to be FTC..

2 Likes

Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by sakalisis(m): 7:21am On Apr 02, 2017
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by helphelp: 7:22am On Apr 02, 2017
Vicochuko:
3. Ac leakage due to faulty
alternators rectifier- The
alternator in automobile engine
is what recharges the battery,
when it is being driven. If there
is AC (alternating current )
leakage the battery might just
go bad on time.
TIP- To detect AC leakage easily ,
switch on your car and TURN ON
the radio. Listen to the sound of
the selected station, if it is
distorted and noisy, BINGO
there goes a faulty alternator.
Visit an automobile electrician

I like this Expo

1 Like

Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by Okaakoko(m): 7:27am On Apr 02, 2017
Bravo
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by wellmax(m): 7:28am On Apr 02, 2017
Following
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by Chiderao1(m): 7:29am On Apr 02, 2017
How e carry reach front page
Çc lalasticlala seun
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by Nobody: 7:29am On Apr 02, 2017
Vicochuko:
go bad on time.

Thanks for this particular bit of advice...as I have had alternator issues with my car recently.
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by donbenie(m): 7:30am On Apr 02, 2017
veekid:
The kinda topics on front-page this morning Ehn
Would you have preferred a topic from BBNaija..

6 Likes

Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by onyekaokechukwu: 7:31am On Apr 02, 2017
Ok
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by donbenie(m): 7:31am On Apr 02, 2017
Chiderao1:
How e carry reach front page
Çc lalasticlala seun
Because it's a useful topic for Car owners..

5 Likes

Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by arshavineering(m): 7:40am On Apr 02, 2017
donbenie:
Would you have preferred a topic from BBNaija..

God forbid bad thing!
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by franco3075q(m): 7:57am On Apr 02, 2017
If u wnt to suport a battry wit another battry whn starting a vehicle, if it's not a dry cell battry, make sure u open up all d covers to avoid d battry exploding
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by thunderrider: 8:12am On Apr 02, 2017
Quite educating
We need more stuffs like this on FP not
All those yeyebrities news

1 Like

Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by Nobody: 9:36am On Apr 02, 2017
Cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by cegxie(m): 10:17am On Apr 02, 2017
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by kingreign(m): 10:22am On Apr 02, 2017
Vicochuko:
go bad on time.

Not always the case. An interference from a mobile telecommunication, Wireless mobile phone, electromagnetic flux from staying under a high tension amongst others can cause interference, two stations sharing close frequency, radio wave barrier etc can cause interference so distorted and noisy radio feedbacks should NOT be a yardstick to judge a failing/failed alternator.

3 Likes

Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by seriousstudies: 1:12pm On Apr 02, 2017
Vicochuko:
2. Using a battery that is not
suitable for your car- often
times due to ignorance and in
order to save money ,people
go for batteries that cannot
power engines efficiently. This
always damages the cells of
the battery.
TIP- Check car manufacturers
manual when the need for
battery replacement arises .
Also lending of batteries i.e using your cars battery to start someone else's car and replacing the person's battery back to the car is not advisable. Majority of the batteries i had to fix came from this singular act.
Hey ,i am not saying that you shouldn't help a fellow out. As a matter of fact you should and one of the best method is JUMP STARTING.
Please, throw more light, what is JUMP STARTING>.
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by Vicochuko(m): 2:18pm On Apr 02, 2017
Take out your jumper cables. It’s a good idea to buy a set of jumper cables and keep them in the trunk compartment. If you don’t have jumper cables, you have to find a good Samaritan who not only is willing to assist you but who has jumper cables as well. Place both vehicles in Park or Neutral and shut off the ignition in both cars. Engage both parking brakes as well. Attach one of the red clips to the positive terminal of your battery. It has “POS” or “+” on it, or it’s bigger than the negative terminal. Attach the other red clip to the positive terminal of the other car. Attach one of the black clips to the negative terminal on the other battery. Attach the last black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car that isn’t near the battery. Use one of the metal struts that holds the hood open. The cables should look like this. Make sure to connect jumper cables in the proper order. Start the working vehicle and let the engine run for a few minutes. Try to start your vehicle. If it won’t start, make sure that the cables are properly connected and have the good Samaritan run his or her engine for five minutes. Then try to start your car again. If it still won’t start, your battery may be beyond help. If the jump works and your car starts, don’t shut off your engine! Drive around for at least 15 minutes to recharge your battery. If the car won’t start the next time you use it, the battery isn’t holding a charge and needs to be replaced.
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by Vicochuko(m): 2:48pm On Apr 02, 2017
JUMP STARTING can also be done using a fully charged battery and a pair of jumpstart cables as follow : * Place charged battery close to the car's bonnet * Connect positive (+) clip to positive (+) terminal of charged battery and the other end of the clip to the positive (+) terminal of the car's battery. * Repeat the above procedure for the negative (-) jump start cable * Start the car then remove the positive (+) clip first before the negative of the battery in the engine. ****NOTE -When removing or placing the positive (+) clip it should not make contact with the negative (-) wire or the body of the car.
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by Allikola(m): 3:45pm On Apr 02, 2017
Hello, we buy DEAD BATTERIES ( Car, lorry, Inverter, ATM e.t.c Batteries )
Contact me on 08031505760 ( U can also Whatsapp me)
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by Ijeoma660(f): 4:10pm On Apr 02, 2017
One way to determine a faulty alternator is to try touching the alternator's pulley-head with a metallic object like a long screw driver. It should attract the piece of metal like a magnet.

CAUTION: Be extremely careful as this is a moving part and not a place to fiddle or toy with. Watch someone who is knowledgeable about this technique do it before trying it!!!
Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by Ijeoma660(f): 4:16pm On Apr 02, 2017
Pictorial demonstration of jump starting a car battery...

Re: Why Automobile Batteries Fail by Fadolistic(m): 4:49pm On Apr 02, 2017
Good day ma'ams/sirs, have you heard of ENVIROSHADE? ENVIROSHADE is a Nigerian company in technical partnership with CAPESHADE of South Africa, dedicated to provide innovativeand cost effective solution in all weather shades! So do you need a carport to protect your lovely cars? Or you just need a shade for your swiming pool? How about an entrance shade to give yourbusiness or home that sophisticated look? What are you waiting for? We offer the best possible quality and design. Original galvanised steel. Best possible finish and design - high density polyethylene shade net triple stitched with a monofilament thread and applying french seam stitching techniques...... Get in touch with ENVIROSHADE now via email: Frankfounder@gmail.com or through their telephone number: 0703 859 2625, 08077356782. Hurry!!!! You wont regret it

2 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Tools Do You Carry In Your Car? / Wireless Charging In Electric Vehicles Could Soon Become A Reality / Updated.. My 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Thread - "Truck Of The Yellow Sun"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.