Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,416 members, 7,819,495 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

None Of These Things Move Me - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / None Of These Things Move Me (829 Views)

What If All These Things Are Really True? / This Generation Shall Not PASS, Till All These Things Be Fulfilled. / Atheists, Think About These Things Before You Blame God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

None Of These Things Move Me by BrainnewsNg(f): 10:55am On Apr 02, 2017
By: Okpan Cleopas

Text: ACTS 20: 17 – 27

INTRODUCTION
In Acts 20:24 Paul said: “But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.” Paul knew about the chains and tribulations that awaited him in Jerusalem. In spite of this, he was not afraid. He simply said that those things did not move him. This courage of Paul is worth emulating; hence, the need for this message to help us look beyond our present sufferings and challenges.

SOME THINGS THAT COULD NOT MOVE PAUL
Persecutions (Acts 20: 23)
Imprisonment (Acts 16: 19 – 24; 21: 10-13)
Undue criticisms (2 Cor. 10: 10)
Sufferings for Christ (2 Cor. 11: 22 – 27)

REASONS THEY COULD NOT MOVE PAUL
He made up his mind to finish his race with joy (2 Tim. 4: 7). He took a firm stand not to allow any suffering cause him to lose spiritual focus (1 Cor. 9: 25 – 27).

He wanted to complete the ministry he received from the Lord. It was the same advice he gave to Archippus (Col. 4: 17). Paul considered the accomplishment of his ministry more important than his life.
It was his desire to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. His determination was to preach the gospel of salvation to as many people as possible before his departure from this life. His statement to the Ephesian Elders shows this resolve (Acts 20: 17 – 21).

SOME WHO WERE NOT MOVED BY SUFFERINGS
Joseph. He was hated by his brothers (Gen. 37: 4), sold to the Ishmaelites (Gen. 37: 28), falsely accused by Potiphar’s wife (Gen. 39: 10 – 15), and sent to prison (Gen. 39: 19, 20). Despite all these sufferings, Joseph was not moved.

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. They were accused of refusing to worship the gold image set up by king Nebuchadnezzar, and were thrown into the burning fiery furnace (Dan. 3: 8 – 25). Despite all these, the three Hebrew boys were not moved.

Daniel. His excellent qualities which pleased king Darius so much were envied by his fellow governors and satraps who convinced the king to sign an obnoxious decree into law, that for thirty days no one in the kingdom should petition any god except the king (Dan. 6: 1 – 9). Daniel was accused of violating the law and was thrown into the lion’s den (Dan. 6: 10 – 17). Despite all these, Daniel was not moved.

SOME THINGS THAT MOVE PEOPLE TODAY
Love of money (1 Tim. 6: 10).
Friendship with the world (James 4: 4; 1 John 2: 15, 16)
Marriage with unbelievers (2 Cor. 6: 14).
Evil companionship (1 Cor. 15: 33).
Economic challenges (Phil. 4: 12).
Death of a loved one (Acts 9: 37).
Sickness (John 11: 1 – 3).
Fear (Heb. 2: 15).
Beloved, what is it that is moving you away from the faith and the Saviour? Indeed, all of the things mentioned above and many more will not be able to move us from accomplishing our spiritual goals if we will have a strong faith in God like Paul, Joseph, Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego had. If we will simply obey God and do His will, then we will not be exposed to some of the things that are moving people away from God. And if we can look beyond the present sufferings to consider the glory that shall be revealed at the end of time, then none of these things can move us to compromise our faith in God.

CONCLUSION
In the face of diverse temptations and challenging situations of life, it is the will of God that every Christian must take a firm stand to “be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labour is not in vain in the Lord” (1 Cor. 15: 58). We must say, like David, “I have set the Lord always before me; because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved” (Psalm 16: cool. May we not allow the fear of persecution, rejection, economic recession, or even death to cause us to abandon or compromise our faith in God. May we boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?” (Heb. 13:6). Let us convincingly say with Paul when faced with challenges that “None of these things move me” (Acts 20:24).

Culled from: http://www.cocetonko.org/none-of-these-things-move-me/
Re: None Of These Things Move Me by BrainnewsNg(f): 10:58am On Apr 02, 2017
cc: Lalasticlala, Seun

Re: None Of These Things Move Me by Stephobia1: 11:20am On Apr 02, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Attitude Of A Radical Christian. / Testimony Time: I Stopped Masturbating. / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 09/08/17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.