Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,540 members, 7,812,678 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:24 PM

50 Tricks To Study Better, Faster And With Less Stress - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 50 Tricks To Study Better, Faster And With Less Stress (857 Views)

How To Study Better Than The Best Student In Your Class / 10 Tricks To Study Better, Faster And With Less Stress [A MUST READ] / 3 Things To Do To Make Your 2017 UTME Registration Faster And Stress Free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

50 Tricks To Study Better, Faster And With Less Stress by Tolustar(m): 5:03am On Apr 03, 2017
Studying isn’t one task, it’s many. You may need to memorize facts or just understand the basics. You might need a broad conceptual base, or just skills. To add even more variety, each person has different learning styles and preferences.
No one tool is the right one. But with fifty here, you’re bound to find something that might help.
**Authors Note: I realize this article is fairly long, so you may want to bookmark it to finish it later**
1) Visualization
The idea here is that you want to put abstract information into a picture. If you are struggling to understand a concept, visualization is a good technique to start with.
2) Rote Memorization
I’m not a huge fan of this method, but sometimes brute force is required. Rote memorization involves pounding information into your brain by repeating it continually. Works best when the information is arbitrary and fact-based, so applications won’t go beyond simple memory.
3) Interlinking
Take two ideas and ask yourself how they relate. They can be ideas within a specific field (short roads) or between two completely different fields (freeways). By doing this you create a roadmap for traveling between information in your brain.
4) Metaphor
Take a more complex idea and compare it to a simpler one. When learning computer programming, I found it helpful to look at a function like a pencil sharpener. A parameter was a dull pencil, inside processes sharpened and returned a sharp pencil. Some metaphors have limited applications while others can be used for deep understanding.
5) Diagram
Draw it out. I love using diagrams for sorting large pieces of information. When I used to write computer programs fairly heavily, my desktop would have pieces of paper with hastily scratched diagrams. I consider creating a diagram to be the upgraded version of visualization.
6) Fluid Notes
Most people take notes in a linear fashion, writing one statement after the next. Fluid notes may look less organized, but involves you drawing connections between ideas and writing in all directions across the page. Remember the point of note taking is to encourage learning, not just record what was said.
7) Acronyms
A bit more efficient than rote memorization is to use mnemonics. Acronyms simplifying memorized information are a great way to do this. When I used to lifeguard, I had memorized all sorts of acronyms for various procedures such as RED or ABC. Make up your own acronyms to store arbitrary info.
cool Link Method
This is an advanced memory technique. I’ve found it works surprisingly well, but it takes longer to set up and requires practice if you want to do it quickly. The basic idea is that you link two ideas together by forming a bizarre picture that involves both of them.
If I wanted to memorize a grocery list that had apples, milk and beans, my goal would be to create two images that linked apples to milk and milk to beans. The first could be a picture of a giant apple milking a cow. The second could be a milk container that poured baked beans.
9) Peg Method
A variation of the link method, this one helps you memorize numbers. Instead of linking two pictures together, you use a system of phonetics to remember all the digits. From that you create short words and sentences to encode numbers. This article isn’t enough to fully explain the technique, but a Google search should give more depth if you’re interested.
10) Retracing
Another technique that works well with holistic learning is retracing. Basically this involves you starting with one concept in your class. From that you find a relationship between that idea and another idea. You continue doing this path until you get back where you started or reach a dead end.

http://mystudyfocus.com/articles/50-tricks-study-better-faster-less-stress/

1 Like

Re: 50 Tricks To Study Better, Faster And With Less Stress by Totino: 5:08am On Apr 03, 2017
Where the remaining 40?
Re: 50 Tricks To Study Better, Faster And With Less Stress by malakus(m): 5:35am On Apr 03, 2017
Nice post
Re: 50 Tricks To Study Better, Faster And With Less Stress by LordIsaac(m): 6:38am On Apr 03, 2017
Nice one...it's only on such I will click on links. I must say this is worth it!
Re: 50 Tricks To Study Better, Faster And With Less Stress by edidiongmichael(m): 6:48am On Apr 03, 2017
grin
Re: 50 Tricks To Study Better, Faster And With Less Stress by Nobody: 8:18am On Apr 03, 2017
nice one
like me a lazy reader who quickly gets tired after reading a page. whats d way out?

(1) (Reply)

Dismissal Of ASUU-LASU' Chairman And Vice- University Mangement' Press Briefing / Arewaclass.com.ng for News,gist,education and knowledge / Federal Polytechnic Idah HND Results 2017/2018 Is Out Online And UNIMED Fresh St

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.