Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,176 members, 7,811,433 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:27 AM

I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues (11880 Views)

My Salary Is Way Lower Than My Colleagues, I Am In Pains!! (please Advice) / Night Security My Colleagues Exposing Himself Always While Sleeping / Stop Criticizing Us; Female Police Officer Celebrates Her Colleagues. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by Nobody: 8:48pm On Apr 06, 2017
I know the problem might be with me. And I also know it could be because they are intimidated by someone younger, cos they are all older than I am. But I work with a set of colleagues at any one time, and I absolutely don't like to work with any of them. I see the way they want some young people to behave towards them: supplicant and cowed. I'm not like that, and I think it gives room for them to consider me proud.

It could also be because they are all Nigerians and they gossip so damn much. I'm Nigerian myself. However, I've not been raised that way. The gossip is one thing I don't understand though. Long hours of gossip.

Is there a better way I can work with them?

Damn, I really hate working with all of them. And if I can hate working with all 8 persons, shouldn't the problem be with me?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by izzou(m): 8:55pm On Apr 06, 2017
Noo

The problem is with me

angry

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by MrBrownJay1(m): 9:08pm On Apr 06, 2017
Gossip is not really a part of the job description therefore you don't need to part take in it, or mind what they are doing.
Do your job and be done with what others do, so long as they do their job properly.... And if it is really too much for you then quit that job.

Whatever company you will work, whatever the origin of your colleagues, there will always be gossiping. Accept it!

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by ladikpe: 9:16pm On Apr 06, 2017
U just have to be focus on the job, chatting with them does not really count, don't feel guilty, don't feel like u are a stranger. It's normal especially when they are not your type of person

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by alexiej(m): 9:56pm On Apr 06, 2017
gustalnov:
I know the problem might be with me. And I also know it could be because they are intimidated by someone younger. But I work with a set of colleagues at any one time, and I absolutely don't like to work with any of them.

It could also be because they are all Nigerians and they gossip so damn much. I'm Nigerian myself. However, I've not been raised that way. The gossip is one thing I don't understand though. Long hours of gossip.

Damn, I really hate working with all of them. And if I can hate working with all 8 persons, shouldn't the problem be with me?

Loooooolllllll.... Trust me, I know how you feel. I have these roommates that are soooo different from me. They have one kind of lifestyle like that that's very terrible, and they feel it's the best. I used to feel like a fish out of water, like very out of place, until I realized that I wasn't here to live their own lives - I've got my own life to live.

So same advice to you yeah? Live your life! Forget what people say or how they react, or whether they gossip. It's petty people that always gossip about others. Don't conform or cave in because u want to be cool with them. It's not worth it.

Do your work so well that they would come to u for help, advise, etc. And be good to everyone, with sincere goodness.

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by Nobody: 1:28am On Apr 07, 2017

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by Nobody: 1:57am On Apr 07, 2017

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by Nobody: 7:19am On Apr 07, 2017
OP, are you a team player?...A teamplayer disregards personal idiosyncrasies to work towards achieving common objectives.

You'd need to work on it on a personal level and besides we are only reading your own side of this story, anonymously.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by Chrisozone: 7:20am On Apr 07, 2017
Then resign.... there are my unemployed youths looking for a job and you are here complaining.

Ungrateful servant

1 Like

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by PERFECT2(m): 7:20am On Apr 07, 2017
Don't expect how ur family members treat u to be the same way ur COLLEAGUES will. At my office, I treat people the way they want me to treat them. Sometimes I fake smiles, become loyal etc just "for the job". But if u can't relate well with them, just RESIGN.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by SweetJoystick(m): 7:20am On Apr 07, 2017
Better resign then...it's obvious you are the one with issues, how would a sane person not be able to work with at least one colleague, you can't work or don't like working with any angry

5 Likes

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by dolphywal: 7:21am On Apr 07, 2017
TBOSS is that you? angry

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by tstx(m): 7:22am On Apr 07, 2017
No there isnt
Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:22am On Apr 07, 2017
To me u are Proud, by d way d only place you will work without meeting pple is the Grave even bloggers work with pple let alone......... Guy to Humble yourself doesn't mean u are folish.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by rezzo1: 7:23am On Apr 07, 2017
no the problem is with your village people who want to see u unemployed in this damning recession

5 Likes

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by Chanchit: 7:23am On Apr 07, 2017
Before we just jump into the issue, we should first know the type of job and I don't think you are in Nigeria going by the write up, so the details is not yet complete

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by IMASTEX: 7:24am On Apr 07, 2017
Yes, the problem is with you. You lack the team work ability. You should learn to accept some persons the way they are and make adjustment to how you relate or flow with them. Else you become your own boss.

4 Likes

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by Ojim07(m): 7:24am On Apr 07, 2017
chill solution on the way smileychill solution on the way
Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by naijafengist: 7:24am On Apr 07, 2017
You better leave that job and chilax at home o

Read How EFCC Arrested the notorious fraudster with Fake $570,000
http://www.updatesflow.tk/2017/04/5-notorious-fraudster-arrested-by-efcc.html

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by Diplomaticbeing(m): 7:24am On Apr 07, 2017
Your loyalty lies to your job firstly, and then to anyone who has not given you reason to question their loyalty towards you.

Now, purge yourself of conceit and paranoia, once you do this, adopt the principle of living on the offensive side of life rather than on the defensive. Don't belong to their clique (because nothing good ever come out of such in the long run) but always accord each and everyone of them their earned individual respects and affections and call off each's bluff when they erred also. . . Adopt a no nonsense moralist stand.

It's obvious that you're a reserved person of the noble mien. And note that one's biggest open critic is always his greatest admirer in the secret. . . So, you shouldn't be weighed down by their ignoble gossip attitude.

7 Likes

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by hillsway(m): 7:25am On Apr 07, 2017
resign!
Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by diportivo: 7:25am On Apr 07, 2017
Some idio.ts didn't read and are shouting resign blah blah

Na why una nor get work

Una nor gree read the vacancy

12 Likes

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by kenyguy(m): 7:25am On Apr 07, 2017
gustalnov:
I know the problem might be with me. And I also know it could be because they are intimidated by someone younger, cos they are all older than I am. But I work with a set of colleagues at any one time, and I absolutely don't like to work with any of them. I see the way they want some young people to behave towards them: supplicant and cowed. I'm not like that, and I think it gives room for them to consider me proud.

Your the problem and also the solution. Stop seeing them as old people that hate a younger person and also as gossipers. See them as human beings, see them as people that are not perfect because your not perfect, we are not perfect beings but beings in human form that are working towards perfection.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by Agimor(m): 7:26am On Apr 07, 2017
Orishirishi topic... Only you asked question only still answer an... Well shall, the problem is with you try and work on your self esteem and be receptive to change.... Seem like you're introverted.
Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by holluwai(m): 7:27am On Apr 07, 2017
Do not be afraid to be yourself. If you're not planning on getting another job yet, just do your work, interact when needed and allow no unwanted attention. It's not easy because I know exactly how it feels.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by helphelp: 7:27am On Apr 07, 2017
Just do what you are paid to do. Who play epp
Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by muller101(m): 7:28am On Apr 07, 2017
Join them during gossip hours.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by Nobody: 7:30am On Apr 07, 2017
You stated somewhere that you weren't raised in Nigeria? Where all 8 persons are involved, the problem will definitely be perceived to be you

Find the least oldest person; someone you can talk to. Start with having small talks with. Learn their patterns; compromise a little on yours where you deem fit. Think of this as a necessary evil.

After all, the paycheck is what y'all after.
Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by Makz: 7:30am On Apr 07, 2017
unclezuma:
OP, you are not a team player ...A team player disregards personal idiosyncrasies to work towards achieving common objectives.

You'd need to work on it on a personal level and besides we are only reading your own side of this story, anonymously.

I think that's not the issue here
Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by airminem(f): 7:32am On Apr 07, 2017
" Long Hours Of Gossip"? What Sort Of Worker Have That Time And What Sort Of Work Too. Public/civil Servant?

1 Like

Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by Lexusgs430: 7:33am On Apr 07, 2017
gustalnov:

Do you get involved in joint projects ? One tree cannot make a forest .........

In life, we have to get involved with ourselves in one way or another. We need to try to/and accommodate each other .......
Re: I Don't Like To Work With Any Of My Colleagues by admax(m): 7:33am On Apr 07, 2017
Then resign na.

How will you expect everyone to think it behave like you do? You are not a team player obviously and can't be a team lead with this your attitude towards your colleagues.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Salary Increase: Labor Praises Head Of Service's Support For Civil Servants / Facebook Appoints Adam Mosseri To Lead Instagram After Resignation Of Founders / Sam Altman To Return As OpenAI CEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.