Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,257 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States (7611 Views)

Hubmart Omole: Inside The Hubmart Store Omole Branch (photos) / Foreign Direct Investment To Nigeria Fell By 21% To $3.5 Billion In 2017 / Foreign Direct Investment Inflow Drops (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by FxMallam: 9:06pm On Apr 06, 2017
In other lesser business publications, every day there are placed “puff pieces” describing how a state government is single-handedly solving the national problem by facilitating a foreign company investing in their state and thereby bolstering the economy, providing employment for state indigenes and filling state coffers with anticipated tax revenues.

Sadly, the much flaunted deals are usually not what they appear or, to use paramedic parlance, are “dead on arrival”.

Some have expired even before the article with inevitable grin and shake photograph have even appeared.

There are clear reasons for most of these demises which we will explore.

However, it is important to know that most of this news is driven by the apparatus of the state to prove how well they are doing.

It is this writers experience that the volume that these news pieces appear is in reverse correlation to the actual performance of the state administration.

What it usual indicates is an impending election, political strife or need to cement a powerful position.

Here are the categories of these “deals”.

The Photo opportunity Deals

This writer has had an initial meeting with a state governor concerning an investment in the state. Much to our delegations surprise the official photographer was there and whilst we were corralled in the governors office the grin and shake photo was taken.

This then appeared in the national press the following week announcing the approximate size of the planned investment as a completed deal and celebrating the governors successful approach to attracting investment.

Unfortunately, the lack of integrity of the process made the foreign investors pull out and it died a death just after the press piece.

The Governor received some much needed positive press, but the people of the state lost employment opportunities.

The “death by a thousand cuts” deals

State governments control land title, in this way they hold investors who need land by the testicles.

The investor who needs land (an international agricultural company for instance) naively approaches the state government to announce their intention of buying land to start their enterprise.

The state government having enticed this investor, or just having the opportunity land in their lap, welcomes them with open arms.

What an amazing opportunity to make personal short term cash and ensure that the poor rural folk remain in abject poverty.

It works like this:

State government declares a “market price” for land in their state
After a ego massaging amount of negotiation the investor agrees in principle and memoranda are signed.

Area of land is identified by the state (dollar signs whirling in the eyes of all the members of the state apparatus).

Locals are engaged by the state and surveys arranged

Suitable land is agreed upon

Further agreements signed

Money handed over from the investor to the state to cover all fees, taxes and purchase price of the land. This is made to look like a good deal by giving huge discounts on the inflated official levy of taxes and fees required to secure the Certificate of Occupation.

Flash bang – what a picture, what a photograph. The press release is created and published in several national and local publications, maybe even a piece in Channels News.

Now the thousand cuts starts. Everyone takes their personal piece. Governor, surveyor general, commissioners of finance and agriculture and investment. Then the senator for the district, the local government chairman. By the time the purchase price has been chopped so many times there is little left for the villages that have given up their birth right for the hope of low wage employment
Deal dies as villagers realise the scale of their rip off and how the enormous paid sum has been chopped so much that by the time it gets to them it is hardly enough for a bag of rice each, refuse to allow the security of personnel of the investing company to enter the land

The Joint Venture (JV)

A favourite of governors.

This allows money making immediately but also provides a pension scheme for the governor and one or two other officers of the state (a governors power in his own state can be measured by how many people he has to drag into share the chop, the fewer people, the more powerful the governor).

This method has the best chance of (medium term) success.

This species of deal is easy to spot as it is identified by its extravagant press coverage and lauding of the Governors “business acumen”. Usually covered in multiple state newspapers and Channels TV.

The Joint Investment

A tried and tested money spinner for governors, their family and anyone with a corrupt heart and a couple of brain cells.

The remnants of this lie across all states in abandoned “state of the art”, ‘ultra modern” industrial facilities.

The government secures funding for a joint investment in an industrial processing unit. After the money has been taken from the federal or state sources an initial portion of the investment is created (for instance a sub standard building).

After this is completed and a draw down of all available funds finalised (the private sector portoon of the investment having mysteriously never appeared) the project is abandoned with the partners in crime making of with usually 30% to 65% of the loaned investment funds in their trousers.

These are now harder to make work given the end higher degree of public scrutiny and reluctance to write off bad debt. So have been replaced by…..

Rehabilitation of state industrial assets

Paint factories, ceramics, textiles, agriculture.

Look at your state and you will see press examples of these rehabilitation being lauded with many back slapping pictures. Often with co-investors from India, Israel, Latin America, Asia and (inexplicably) Belgium.

These schemes are less lucrative than original investments but yield trouser cash in tricky times for scamming.

The mechanism is simple.

A foreign investor indicates interest in a state asset, the state government secures money to rehabilitate and the partners share the cash through shell companies.

Often part of the cash is secured against the industrial asset in question.

Doesn’t generate enough cash for Ghana must go bags to be stuffed in car boots, but enough to keep a commissioner in hotel rooms and prostitutes for a year or so (depending on their proclivities).

Due to its nature these are deals that someone lower down the structure focuses on and so is a favourites of investment commissioners and their honorable friends in agriculture and finance.

These have to be allowed by a Governor, even though His Excellency may not have a slice, to ensure their the commissioners and/or their God fathers do not mutiny.

These are especially necessary in the first 2 years of a governors term or if there is political turmoil in a state.

You may find Governors brothers and cousins also involved as it is an easy way to keep the loud and hungry mouths around the Governors nest silent but without giving away the juiciest worms

Genuine investments run for the benefit of the citizens

I can’t talk about these, as I have not yet seen one

Conclusion

Folks, it’s a murky and swampy world out there.

Just be skeptical of any and all investment announcements especially those with the photos of the largest grins.

If the photo is large enough check the clothing of those grinning for bulging pockets.

Don’t read the puff pieces in the press written by journalists who have substituted their meager salary with paid for lies.

Large international investment is another thing altogether. Still murky and filthy, but needs another article to cover…..more to come from this secret investor.

http://nairainsider.com/commentary/inside-story-foreign-direct-investment-nigerian-states-shake-grin-grab/

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by porozhniy(m): 9:44pm On Apr 06, 2017
Chai!!!
I can't fault this in any way. I've seen where a block of primary school building was renovated (repainted,wooden doors & windows) for #25 million each by a state gov.
These guys are the reason ghost workers are not going away anytime soon because they're the chief perpetrators of the scam.

The Nigerian situation isn't funny anymore, complaining all day without concrete action will achieved nothing.
What can we the citizens do to take back our country?

13 Likes

Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by Petercross4u123(m): 7:40am On Apr 07, 2017
Naija which way
Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by smartty68(m): 7:41am On Apr 07, 2017
"Dead on arrival". A country where democracy is just a mere word on the lips; Our leaders ain't for the people but their pockets alone. Ironically, your vote don't count. Clueless Nincompoops.

When they manage to do little, they go public for the whole world to see when in reality did nothing

This is why I'll encourage youth uprising because the government can't help us any further; they've failed a long time ago.

4 Likes

Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by Nobody: 7:41am On Apr 07, 2017
While you can only write about what you know only, the write-up is absolutely false and "living in the past". All the rvbbish written are Jonathan era transaction unlike now that state governments are looking for money.
All these the writer listed are what happened to the failed PDP governors and government.
Whether the writer and all fflaties like it or not, Nigeria is moving forward.
God Bless Nigeria
God bless pmb

4 Likes

Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by Deadshot(m): 7:43am On Apr 07, 2017
G
Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by iamtiredoflife: 7:43am On Apr 07, 2017
Wetin concern me?

Chilling with my iPhone 9.7 grin

Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by koxi: 7:43am On Apr 07, 2017
Hmm...
Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by Nobody: 7:44am On Apr 07, 2017
One of the most friendly climate for smart investor is Edo state. The state is very peaceful. Accessible roads and ready market for finished products. I look forward to setting up my own production firm in this state one day.

1 Like

Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by datola: 7:44am On Apr 07, 2017
And the ignorant ones will start singing "... is working!"

1 Like

Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by tstx(m): 7:46am On Apr 07, 2017
Interesting write up. didn't read it, but it was Interesting. very enlightening. didn't read it
Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by Philinho(m): 7:47am On Apr 07, 2017
it's well ooo.
Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by AshiwajuFoward: 7:47am On Apr 07, 2017
.p
Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by yjgm(m): 7:51am On Apr 07, 2017
Ok
Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by Nobody: 7:51am On Apr 07, 2017
More articles like this on the FP.

Very educative, I would be checking more posts of yours, Mr FXmallam.

Topics like this should be promoted rather than the size of someone's derriere or milk factory.

Thanks for this.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by Nobody: 7:51am On Apr 07, 2017
We're still fantastically corrupt afterall
Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by jazinogold(m): 7:54am On Apr 07, 2017
h
Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by twentyk(m): 7:55am On Apr 07, 2017
Abeg who get a phone to spare...i aint got no phone and money hard to get....anywhere in 9ja i can come collect it no prob for me.....
This is no joke though its hilarious...
Calling on nairalander,help a bro....
Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by BetaThings: 7:56am On Apr 07, 2017
divicoded:
While you can only write about what you know only, the write-up is absolutely false and "living in the past". All the rvbbish written are Jonathan era transaction unlike now that state governments are looking for money.
All these the writer listed are what happened to the failed PDP governors and government.
God Bless Nigeria
God bless pmb

Look, I voted for Buhari and remain convinced that he is far a better choice than Jonathan
However to imagine that Nigerian leaders are now clean in wishful thinking
If no corrupt politician is shot, then corruption will continue to thrive
The fear of death is the ONLY thing that can reform the Nigerian politician

6 Likes

Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by teemy(m): 7:57am On Apr 07, 2017
i see an investment opportunity even in this filth. if the foreign investors no more trust governors and the likes, private companies can rise to prepare investment portfolios per locale and help investors establish and credibility rises over time.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by 222Martins(m): 7:59am On Apr 07, 2017
As an investor, i must confess that this piece is 100% true........... I would have loved to spill more on this issue but let me keep shut, as i have business/investment interests to protect undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

4 Likes

Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by Ramon92: 8:00am On Apr 07, 2017
There are two worlds - the real world and virtual world. That's what happens in the real world - of politics and business and it's clandestine, murky and juicy; it's the real deal. The virtual world is where majority of us wallow, a world of promises, hope and aesthetics that feeds on chaff...

Just yesterday, a governor wants to start a 50km road project over two years between two states that doesn't share border and was being applauded. 50km.. 50km.. 50km between Ondo and Lagos!!!

If only we think more in this part of the world...

2 Likes

Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by teemy(m): 8:00am On Apr 07, 2017
by the way, can anyone produce recent grin pictures for us to analyse?
Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by naijafengist: 8:00am On Apr 07, 2017
Its ok. Lets pray it works

Read how a former football coach was accused for 40 count child sex
http://www.updatesflow.tk/2017/04/charlie-former-football-coach-accused.html
Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by porozhniy(m): 8:01am On Apr 07, 2017
H
Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by Nobody: 8:03am On Apr 07, 2017

Look at your state and you will see press examples of these rehabilitation being lauded with many back slapping pictures. Often with co-investors from India, Israel, Latin America, Asia and (inexplicably) Belgium.
Ajaokuta steel company comes to mind. Mehn that one is a national cash cow. Successive governments always award and re-award that contract. Fayemi sef has join bad gang to award his own.
I also remember one very publicised refurbishment or resuscitation of one garment (abi na plastic) company by Okorocha in Orlu or some village like that. The contract was given to Indians, zombies didn't let us hear word. 2 years after, I'm still waiting for the commissioning of that factory.
Fantastically corrupt is our middle name.

10 Likes

Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by porozhniy(m): 8:04am On Apr 07, 2017
teemy:
i see an investment opportunity even in this filth. if the foreign investors no more trust governors and the likes, private companies can rise to prepare investment portfolios per locale and help investors establish and credibility rises over time.
How do you hope to do so without exorbitant cost inflation & frustration by the same people op is talking about?

1 Like

Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by Captain001(m): 8:04am On Apr 07, 2017
This piece just kept me transfixed till the final full stop. Haven't seen a better written eye-opener on Nairaland in a while.

8 Likes

Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by CarlosTheJackal: 8:06am On Apr 07, 2017
divicoded:
God Bless Nigeria
God bless pmb
Iberibe in action.

People like this are the Boxer in Animal Farm

Buhari is always Right and detest corruption

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by IdJack(m): 8:06am On Apr 07, 2017
Exactly what is happening in my State, Akwa Ibom State.. The Governor of doing ground breaking for the past 2 years and nothing to show. Most of the places are outgrown with thick grass.

3 Likes

Re: Inside The Story: Foreign Direct Investment In Nigerian States by IdJack(m): 8:08am On Apr 07, 2017
Exactly what is happening in my State, Akwa Ibom State.. The Governor of doing ground breaking for the past 2 years and nothing to show. Most of the places are outgrown with thick grass.

FxMallam:
In other lesser business publications, every day there are placed “puff pieces” describing how a state government is single-handedly solving the national problem by facilitating a foreign company investing in their state and thereby bolstering the economy, providing employment for state indigenes and filling state coffers with anticipated tax revenues.

Sadly, the much flaunted deals are usually not what they appear or, to use paramedic parlance, are “dead on arrival”.

Some have expired even before the article with inevitable grin and shake photograph have even appeared.

There are clear reasons for most of these demises which we will explore.

However, it is important to know that most of this news is driven by the apparatus of the state to prove how well they are doing.

It is this writers experience that the volume that these news pieces appear is in reverse correlation to the actual performance of the state administration.

What it usual indicates is an impending election, political strife or need to cement a powerful position.

Here are the categories of these “deals”.

The Photo opportunity Deals

This writer has had an initial meeting with a state governor concerning an investment in the state. Much to our delegations surprise the official photographer was there and whilst we were corralled in the governors office the grin and shake photo was taken.

This then appeared in the national press the following week announcing the approximate size of the planned investment as a completed deal and celebrating the governors successful approach to attracting investment.

Unfortunately, the lack of integrity of the process made the foreign investors pull out and it died a death just after the press piece.

The Governor received some much needed positive press, but the people of the state lost employment opportunities.

The “death by a thousand cuts” deals

State governments control land title, in this way they hold investors who need land by the testicles.

The investor who needs land (an international agricultural company for instance) naively approaches the state government to announce their intention of buying land to start their enterprise.

The state government having enticed this investor, or just having the opportunity land in their lap, welcomes them with open arms.

What an amazing opportunity to make personal short term cash and ensure that the poor rural folk remain in abject poverty.

It works like this:

State government declares a “market price” for land in their state
After a ego massaging amount of negotiation the investor agrees in principle and memoranda are signed.

Area of land is identified by the state (dollar signs whirling in the eyes of all the members of the state apparatus).

Locals are engaged by the state and surveys arranged

Suitable land is agreed upon

Further agreements signed

Money handed over from the investor to the state to cover all fees, taxes and purchase price of the land. This is made to look like a good deal by giving huge discounts on the inflated official levy of taxes and fees required to secure the Certificate of Occupation.

Flash bang – what a picture, what a photograph. The press release is created and published in several national and local publications, maybe even a piece in Channels News.

Now the thousand cuts starts. Everyone takes their personal piece. Governor, surveyor general, commissioners of finance and agriculture and investment. Then the senator for the district, the local government chairman. By the time the purchase price has been chopped so many times there is little left for the villages that have given up their birth right for the hope of low wage employment
Deal dies as villagers realise the scale of their rip off and how the enormous paid sum has been chopped so much that by the time it gets to them it is hardly enough for a bag of rice each, refuse to allow the security of personnel of the investing company to enter the land

The Joint Venture (JV)

A favourite of governors.

This allows money making immediately but also provides a pension scheme for the governor and one or two other officers of the state (a governors power in his own state can be measured by how many people he has to drag into share the chop, the fewer people, the more powerful the governor).

This method has the best chance of (medium term) success.

This species of deal is easy to spot as it is identified by its extravagant press coverage and lauding of the Governors “business acumen”. Usually covered in multiple state newspapers and Channels TV.

The Joint Investment

A tried and tested money spinner for governors, their family and anyone with a corrupt heart and a couple of brain cells.

The remnants of this lie across all states in abandoned “state of the art”, ‘ultra modern” industrial facilities.

The government secures funding for a joint investment in an industrial processing unit. After the money has been taken from the federal or state sources an initial portion of the investment is created (for instance a sub standard building).

After this is completed and a draw down of all available funds finalised (the private sector portoon of the investment having mysteriously never appeared) the project is abandoned with the partners in crime making of with usually 30% to 65% of the loaned investment funds in their trousers.

These are now harder to make work given the end higher degree of public scrutiny and reluctance to write off bad debt. So have been replaced by…..

These schemes are less lucrative than original investments but yield trouser cash in tricky times for scamming.

The mechanism is simple.

A foreign investor indicates interest in a state asset, the state government secures money to rehabilitate and the partners share the cash through shell companies.

Often part of the cash is secured against the industrial asset in question.

Doesn’t generate enough cash for Ghana must go bags to be stuffed in car boots, but enough to keep a commissioner in hotel rooms and prostitutes for a year or so (depending on their proclivities).

Due to its nature these are deals that someone lower down the structure focuses on and so is a favourites of investment commissioners and their honorable friends in agriculture and finance.

These have to be allowed by a Governor, even though His Excellency may not have a slice, to ensure their the commissioners and/or their God fathers do not mutiny.

These are especially necessary in the first 2 years of a governors term or if there is political turmoil in a state.

You may find Governors brothers and cousins also involved as it is an easy way to keep the loud and hungry mouths around the Governors nest silent but without giving away the juiciest worms

Genuine investments run for the benefit of the citizens

I can’t talk about these, as I have not yet seen one

Conclusion

Folks, it’s a murky and swampy world out there.

Just be skeptical of any and all investment announcements especially those with the photos of the largest grins.

If the photo is large enough check the clothing of those grinning for bulging pockets.

Don’t read the puff pieces in the press written by journalists who have substituted their meager salary with paid for lies.

Large international investment is another thing altogether. Still murky and filthy, but needs another article to cover…..more to come from this secret investor.

http://nairainsider.com/commentary/inside-story-foreign-direct-investment-nigerian-states-shake-grin-grab/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Loan Apps Have Put Me Into Longlasting Depression / Can I Open Another Bank Account, My BVN Is Linked To So Many Old, Huge Debts / The Danger Of Borrowing Unclaimed Dividends

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.