Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,089 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. (3202 Views)

Shattered (A Story Of Dreams, Love, And Betrayal. / New Book By New Nairalander: Shattered! / BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 10:25am On Apr 07, 2017
I wrote this three years ago. Just decided to share it on this forum. Your views on this story are appreciated, but twill even be better appreciated if you can whip out your internet connected devices and log on to OkadaBooks... Search for VENGEANCE IS MINE by Emma Ohi Odiai, and there you have it! #400 only...

You can also like my Facebook page "Emma Ohi Odiai"... Let's go dia!

This has been fictionally adapted to make for easy reading...Those feelings we get when we're dumped by someone we practically worshipped...I can relate, you can too.... Thanks for coming on board.
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by TheBlessedMAN: 10:34am On Apr 07, 2017
Ok bro. Ride on. Nothing do you. I dey ur back. U are shangoically and petrolically mouthed.

1 Like

Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 10:37am On Apr 07, 2017
‘I won’t have gone there had you done what you were supposed to do,’ Sylvia defiantly held.
‘Please, sweetheart, we can still work things out,’ I pleaded, holding onto her gown.
She brushed off my hand violently and fixed me a piercing stare. ‘It is over, Christopher Obi. Are you so daft that you don’t realise that?’ She barked. It stung my ears, hearing my full name from her lips for the first time in three years.
‘Please, my love, if we try to make things work out, I believe we can.’
‘We can’t, dear, we can’t!’ She flicked off the loose strand of braid on her face. ‘Christopher, I don’t love you anymore. Don’t you get that?’
It sounded like a bombshell in my ears. While it was rather obvious, it still came as a surprise coming from her. I faced her and looked into her eyes. ‘Look into my eyes and tell me you don’t love me anymore,’ I pronounced.
‘I don’t love you anymore,’ she said, without flinching.
‘I love you, baby,’ I told her, hoping she was listening. ‘Why are you doing this to us?’
‘There’s no us, Christopher, and there’s no point pretending there is.’
‘That’s too bad,’ I said, trying to appear manly. ‘To think that I have been deceived all this while…’
‘Stop that. You are responsible for all of this!’
‘Then allow me rectify it. I promise to be better this time. Let’s try and work things…’
‘Why am I even here talking to you?’ Sylvia snarled. ‘It’s over between us; get that into your daft skull, okay?’ She picked her bag and handset from the table. ‘Christopher Obi, it’s over and that is final!’
‘Is this because of him?’
‘No, it has nothing to do with anybody, but you!’
Why was she lying? I asked myself. I wasn’t deceived, yet I wanted to forgive all and move on.
I stared at her dumbfounded. My brain was hyperactive, but my nerves were static. My heart was heavy with grief as she banged the door shut. I ruffled my hair, scratched my chin and wiped my nostrils – all reflex actions. This time, I was accepting her decision, but my sanity was on the line. I heard some footsteps on the passage and half expected her to walk back in, but it was the voice of my neighbour, Tolu, I heard. She was complaining about a missing bucket which she had left beside the door to her room when going to school that morning. I had seen Ben use the bucket, but kept it to myself. I had enough problems of my own to bother about cheap plastic buckets. Though not shattered, I was broken.
It seemed like the walls of my room were caving in, I felt light in the head and my limbs were suddenly drained of strength. Unable to control my wobbly self anymore, I fell, face down, on the bed. My raging mind was thinking, thinking and thinking.
I met Sylvia in my second year as an undergraduate. It was during an orientation course organised by her department for their new students. I and my closest friend, Saliu, rarely missed such events. This was due to the refreshments that usually came at the end of such exercises. The only exception was when they clashed with our lectures, which was very rare. She was in the history department while I was studying Mass Communication, a course I wasn’t too proud of, then, having applied to study Civil Law in the first instance.
Coincidentally, I was well dressed that day, in simple but well-fitting native styled attire which never failed to draw compliments from my neighbours and course mates alike. This gave me the confidence to smile and wave at her when our eyes met. We were on the same seat, though separated by three other people, Saliu inclusive. I felt stupid immediately afterwards and wished I hadn’t waved at her, but her smile and wave back promptly changed my mind. She had a fair and beautiful face bounded by long thick blonde braids, into which the temple of her black framed eyeglasses was tucked with the bridge resting on her forehead.
Being relatively inexperienced in such matters, I told Saliu about it.
He chuckled when I was through and patted my back: ‘You’ve just met your wife.’

To be continued
Lalasticlala
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 10:42am On Apr 07, 2017
....... Being relatively inexperienced in such matters, I told Saliu about it.
He chuckled when I was through and patted my back: ‘You’ve just met your wife.’
‘That’s not true,’ I protested lightly, shooting a glance in her direction. Our eyes met again and I looked away instantly. I felt stupid and naïve being unable to hold a lady’s gaze.
‘Yes, it is,’ Saliu insisted. ‘She likes you – that’s obvious.’ He had checked her out already – smart guy!
‘That’s not true,’ I repeated while hoping otherwise.
‘It is,’ he said and advised me to approach her once I got the opportunity.
I had to believe him. Despite our closeness, we were very different when it came to issues pertaining to the opposite sex. Saliu was already in his third relationship as an undergraduate while I was yet to receive my first kiss. He was a Muslim who never completed his five daily prayers, who sometimes accompanied me to my own church services, who took alcohol and who had no inhibitions when it came to the opposite sex.
I had an eye on her throughout the event, but suddenly developed cold feet when it mattered most. They were distributing the refreshments when she arose and made for the rear exit. I was going to miss the refreshment if I followed her, but didn’t care – not that moment. She paused midway to exchange greetings with a guy. He hugged her twice, effectively getting me jealous. I was about giving up when Saliu prodded my elbow.
‘What are you waiting for? Can’t you see that she’s leaving?’
‘But…’ I started before he cut me short.
‘If it’s the refreshments, I will try to get yours. Otherwise, we can share mine.’
That wasn’t what I wanted to talk about but I decided to swallow it. He eyed me on, seeing that I was still hesitant. I mustered as much courage as I could and went after her. She had just greeted another friend, a male, when I met her. We were now outside the orientation hall.
‘Hello,’ I called breathlessly. She turned around artistically to face me. ‘Good afternoon,’ I greeted.
‘Good afternoon,’ she replied in a clipped accent. She wasn’t smiling and my confidence was draining fast – and my eyes were beginning to dart around again, unable to match her stare.
‘I was the guy who waved at you inside the hall,’ I began, for want of something better to say.
‘Okay,’ she said in the same tone which made me feel like an idiot.
“When you meet her for the first time, hold her gaze,” I remembered Saliu saying once. I was failing in that already. “Don’t allow her take control of the conversation, take charge,” he had also said, and I was losing my composure already. I inhaled deeply and released the air in short spurts. It was a formula I used when agitated. It worked.
‘I am Christopher, Chris for short,’ I said next, now much calmer. ‘May I know your name?’ I strove to meet her gaze and held it. Surprisingly, she looked away. I was winning the battle.
‘Why do you want to know my name?’ She smiled for the first time.
‘If I tell you, would you give me a hug?’
‘I can’t guarantee that,’ she said with a chuckle.
I chuckled too, happy for the progress I was making. “Make her laugh, they love it funny. It eases the tension between the both of you,” Saliu, my coach had once said too. ‘Then give me your name and I won’t expect a hug,’ I said, surprised at my oratory. My eloquence was common knowledge, but I never thought I could be so fluent before a lady.
‘Okay,’ she accentuated, ‘my name is Jennifer, but my friends call me Jenny. Are you satisfied now?’
‘You don’t know how excited that makes me. I prefer Jenny; it sounds more…em…well, save that for another day.’
‘It sounds more what?’ She demanded in a soft tone?’
‘If I tell you, I may get a slap. I’d rather avoid that?’
‘A slap?’ She chuckles again, ‘I don’t think that’s true.’
‘I’d rather not risk it – not now.’
‘You’d better not.’ I noticed that her tone was relaxed now.
‘May I ask you for one more favour?’
‘That’s up to you,’ she was wearing a serious countenance once again and my confidence ebbed a bit as a result.
‘I would like to see you again. How free are you now?’
I have an appointment in less than ten minutes,’ she replied, checking her wristwatch. ‘I’m sorry, I have to leave now.’
I didn’t believe her, but didn’t want to push my luck.
‘Okay. Please, can I have your phone number?’
‘I would have refused you, but I do not want to start another verbal contest. Here it is…’ and she called out the number for me. She was already moving before getting to the last figure. I hurried after her, feeling stupid yet unable to refrain.
‘I will call you,’ I shouted after her, after saving the number on my phone. ‘This very evening!’
She made a gesture of impatience, flicking a hand at me without even looking back. Ladies could be irritatingly egotistic! “Allow her ego, stoop to conquer.” I turned back to find Saliu smiling at me. From the look on his face, I had done very well – especially for a first timer. He brandished two parcels; I knew what they contained – our refreshments.

To be continued...
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 8:37pm On Apr 08, 2017
I was restless when I got home. I wanted to hear her voice again – that sweet voice. I greeted some neighbours and entered my room. Once inside, I removed my sweat-soaked clothes and took them out to spread out on the washing line. Then I returned to my room and fell on the bed, trying to calm my agitated mind. I had barely done so when a knock sounded on the door. Cursing whoever was at the door in my mind, I invited the person in.
‘Bro, what’s up?’ Philip, my next door neighbour said, entering my room. He was a new student.
‘Nothing much, Philip. School was very hectic today.’
‘Yea, it was same with me. The lecturers aren’t even treating us like new students at all. Imagine them giving us five assignments today.’
‘Really? That’s quite on the high side,’ I said, sitting up. ‘But you will soon get used to the way around here,’ I advised, feeling every inch a senior.
‘There is one I will require your assistance on,’ he said next, sitting on the only chair in the room. It was supposed to be for reading, but I rarely read, sitting. I was usually more comfortable doing so, lying on the bed.
‘And which is that?’ I asked with dread in my mind. He was a student of Physics and I dreaded all science courses.
‘It’s not a science course,’ he said as if he could read my mind, ‘it’s from your field.’ I wondered what course from my field concerned science students. ‘We were asked to write an essay on the topic, “Marriage and Family – An African Perspective”.’
‘Oh that?’ I said relieved. While it wasn’t directly of my field, I was good at writing essays, and I had once done a similar assignment. ‘I will see what I can do. Please, we will work on it later. I’m very tired now.’ I said, feeling very important.
‘Thanks, bro,’ he said gleefully. ‘I will remind you.’
I was glad to see him go. I went to lock the door immediately and got my phone. Now relaxed, I dialled Sylvia’s phone number. I held the phone to my ear but got a busy tone. I redialled the number after two minute, but got the tone again. Different thoughts immediately sprang up in my mind. I wondered who it was with her on the phone, and what they could be discussing about that took so long. Now, less confident, I redialled her number. It connected this time, but I had lost my initial composure. I waited for her to answer the call before ending it. I tried to pull myself together before making another call, but had barely done so when my phone rang. It was Sylvia. I couldn’t answer the call; I felt it would portray me in negative light. I waited until it had rang off by itself before calling her back. It had barely connected when she took it.
‘Hello?’ Her voice was sharp. It wasn’t as friendly as it was when we parted in school.
‘Hello, good afternoon…sorry, good evening,’ I stuttered.
‘Good evening. Who am I speaking with, please?’ Her voice was too formal sounding for my liking.
‘It’s the guy you met after your orientation this afternoon,’ I forced out, hoping she won’t detect my unsettledness.
‘Which guy is that?’ She demanded. There was no hint of familiarity in her voice.
‘The one you gave your number…’
‘Come on, you are wasting my time, guy. I said who are you?’ She sure had a sharp tongue.
‘But…’ I began before my voice trailed off.
‘For your information, dude, I met over six guys after my orientation today and gave out my number to no less than four of them. You may call back when you have something to say.’ She ended the call immediately.
I felt deflated. No lady had ever treated me like that; though I had never wooed any. Then, I became angry. Who did she think she was? She wasn’t the most beautiful lady I had come across, and I wasn’t even sure of her level of intelligence. I had met many very intelligent ladies, but had never felt the way I felt about her with them. Some of them had actually made tacit advances, but had always fallen short of my requirements for a potential partner. What was special about her that was missing in others?

Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 11:06pm On Apr 10, 2017
...What was special about her that was missing in others?
What made her think she could treat men like that? Was that how all ladies behaved? There was only one person I knew, who could provide me with the answers I needed– Saliu. I was typing his number on my phone when I heard a knock on my door. Who was that again? I barked in my mind.
‘Yes, who is at the door?’ I asked calmly.
‘Hey, open the door, boy.’ It was Saliu’s voice. It filled me with instant excitement.
I sprang up immediately and went to unlock the door. Saliu brushed past me into the room and sat on the bed. Almost immediately, he sprang up again and went to switch on my television. After scanning different channels, he settled for one. Then, armed with the remote, he returned to his former position on the bed. The way he acted, one would think he owned the room while I was the visitor.
‘Guy, have you called her?’ He said and lowered the television volume. It was a video request program.
‘I was about calling you,’ I replied, settling beside him. ‘The thing pass me, O.’ I added in pidgin, smiling weakly.
‘What did she say?’ He asked, changing the channel again. He didn’t seem bothered by my dilemma.
I told him how my conversation with Sylvia had gone, ending with my reservations about continuing the chase.
The smile on his face widened as I concluded my account. He patted my back like a kid, drawing a frown from me.
‘Na small pickin dey worry you,’ he stated, adjusting his sitting posture to face me. ‘What were you expecting? C’mon, grow up, guy.’ He ignored my scowl and continued. ‘I wouldn’t have expected anything different from her, and from your account, you fumbled through it all…’
‘You needed to hear how unfriendly her voice was,’ I protested. ‘It wasn’t easy carrying on with any meaningful conversation.’
He chuckled and went on to point out the various aspects in which I had performed poorly. For the first time, I realised that I didn’t even tell her my name. I had been too carried away trying to establish her friendliness when we met that afternoon that I failed to give the right answer to her question. Saliu advised me to give it another trial. This time, he cautioned, I had to swallow my pride and play according to rhythm.
‘You can become the man when everything is set, but at the preparatory stages, you must stoop and play along,’ He said in conclusion.
I felt better and more confident this time as I punched the dial button.
‘Hello, Jenny,’ I said when she had answered it.
‘Hello, who am I speaking with?’ With Saliu beside me, the voice no longer sounded as stern as it had previously been.
‘This is Christopher, whom you met this afternoon after your orientation class.’
‘The guy who sat on the same bench as…’
‘Yea,’ I cut in eagerly. ‘Do you remember me now?’
‘I think I do.’ The indifference in her tone instantly dampened my enthusiasm. Saliu noticed the change in my countenance and facially urged me on.
‘Don’t give up,’ he whispered and went to get a sheet of paper.
‘Yea, I was simply checking on you,’ I said, battling to keep a level tone. I noticed that Saliu was busy, scribbling something on the sheet of paper. I wondered what it was.
‘Oh, thank you,’ she said.
‘It’s my pleasure,’ I said, after some seconds of silence. Saliu folded the sheet and threw it to me. I unfolded the sheet and read. Saliu had provided with me some lines he felt would help my cause. I couldn’t bring myself to say them.
‘Hello?’ She said after some seconds of silence.
I dropped the call immediately, with the intention to hinge the interruption on poor network, and faced Saliu.
‘I can’t say these things you wrote here,’ I told him.
‘Why, Chris? Why can’t you say them?’
I told him why: I had never said such words to a lady in my life. How could I condescend to the extent of telling a lady who may still reject me that she was the best thing to have happened in my life? How could I tell her that without her my world was incomplete? How could I call her my breath, my inspiration and a host of other things Saliu had written on the sheet of paper? I couldn’t and wasn’t going to do so, I told Saliu.
He smiled, patiently listening to all I had to say. When I was through, he tapped me on the back. ‘You are not man enough then.’
‘What!’ I said, my eyes blazing in anger. ‘What do you mean by that?’
‘If you don’t wanna stoop, then you can’t conquer; and if you can’t conquer, you are simply not a man. Do you get that?’
‘Tell me what you really mean,’ I said, feeling my chances of getting Sylvia slipping through my fingers.
‘Simply put – which I’ve repeatedly told you – no man is too big when it comes to winning a lady’s heart,’ he informed me. ‘This is how; see it as fun, not a challenge. Should things fail to work out, take it as experience that would come in handy in the future, okay?’ I nodded like a kid receiving lectures from his teacher. ‘Now, pick your phone, call her and shoot off like no man’s business.’
‘Let’s see how it goes,’ I said and picked my phone. I dialled her number and waited with a grin as it rang.
‘Hello.’ She spoke in an askance tone.
‘Hi,’ I replied, hoping my grin positively impacted on my voice. ‘I’m sorry it went off a moment ago, I think the network went bad.’
‘It’s alright,’ she replied, her tone still unfriendly. ‘So, what’s up?’
‘I’m okay, but will be definitely better if you give positive replies to the next set of questions.’ I heard her chuckle for the first time. How it gladdened my heart.
‘I can’t guarantee that,’ she said, her voice sounding much lighter.
‘You can. I know it’s within your power,’ I prodded with my new found confidence. Saliu gave me a thumbs-up.
‘Let’s see,’ she said. ‘What are the questions?’
‘You are yet to grant me permission to ask them.’
‘Permission? I don’t understand.’
‘Don’t you want me better, Jenny?’
She laughed again. ‘Okay, I will give you positive replies if your requests are within my power.’
‘That’s better,’ I said, though her words didn’t give me much hope. Saliu had always spoken about maintaining a positive attitude when wooing ladies. ‘I have some spare money, not much, but sufficient to spoil at least two persons. Jenny, I have decided to make you my partner in this. Please, would you allow me to take you out?’ She had already started laughing midway into my speech and it continued even when I was through. It was funny how easy it was to loosen up ladies.
‘Is that all?’ She asked when she was a bit sober. ‘I was expecting many more questions.’
‘You are yet to answer my first question, sweetheart,’ I said seriously. ‘There are many more where that one came from.’
She chuckled again before answering. ‘When do you want it?’
‘I was thinking of this very moment,’ I replied immediately. If only I hadn’t allowed my naivety derail my ability earlier!
‘Oh no! That won’t be possible and you know it.’
‘But you asked for when I would want it. Would tomorrow be okay?’
‘Hmmm, I can’t be too sure for now,’ she stressed but I knew it was a done deal.
‘I will call you then,’ I told her. ‘Please, be sure by then.’
‘I can’t be too sure,’ she said with a chuckle, ‘but you can try.’
‘Please, do have a nice day and take very good care of yourself,’ I cooed.
‘Oh, wait, what happened to the other questions?’
‘I will ask them tomorrow.’
‘Hmmm, let’s see.’
I soon hung up and faced a smiling Saliu. He shook my hand and hugged me.
‘That was beautiful, guy! You are a fast learner,’ and he hugged me again.
Saliu didn’t give me time to explain, in details, how our conversation had gone. He had drawn his conclusions already and seemed very sure of them. He advised me to go for the kill when I met her the next day. For the first time, I wholly agreed with him.

1 Like

Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 11:38pm On Apr 19, 2017
For the first time, I wholly agreed with him.
I was extra careful in my dressing the next day. With an ash coloured, starched and pressed long- sleeved shirt, carefully tucked in a dark brown chino trouser, with brown shoes and glasses to match, I stepped out of my room, set for school. The compliments from my housemates were so much that I got embarrassed. I quickly walked away when I couldn’t take them anymore. I called Saliu and he told me he was already in school. He had gone early to make some photocopies before our lecture and was almost done with that. I knew where he was – we never went to another photocopying shop. I met him at the shop within five minutes. He was so full of encomiums concerning my outfit that I had to warn him sternly to stop. He was creating an audience with his remarks and I was no longer enjoying them. He collected the photocopied documents and paid for them. Then, we left for the lecture, which was going to be the first of two for the day. On the way, Saliu asked if I had called Sylvia. I told him I was yet to as I didn’t want it to affect my concentration during the lectures. He was okay with that, but advised me to send her a text once we got to the lecture hall. I was confused on what the content of the text would be, but Saliu was on hand to help once again. He claimed to have many ready-made text drafts which he could share with me.
We entered the lecture hall where I was greeted with cheers and compliments. They were still at it when Dr Silas Jideofor entered the lecture hall.
‘Here,’ said Saliu, sliding his phone to me, ‘pick your choice.’
I checked the drafts on his phone and chose one on which I made a few modifications. While Dr Jideofor was scribbling the topic for the day on the whiteboard, I was sending the text to Sylvia. My phone vibrated five minutes later, it was a text from Sylvia. She told me she would be free by 12pm, which was the same time I would be ending my second lecture. I was elated and showed the message to Saliu. He gave me a thumbs-up and faced the lecturer who was approaching our seat. I could only hope I won’t be given away by the excitement that was surging within me. I was shaking within and wasn’t sure if it wasn’t obvious on the outside.
Sylvia was at the sports complex when I called her. We had just completed our second class for the day and would be free afterwards save for an assignment on advertising trends which I was sure would be easily gotten online. I was going to do it after seeing Sylvia, I told myself as I called her. I told her to meet me at Elites Kitchen, one of the best eateries on campus, despite Saliu’s objections.
‘You must refrain from creating wrong impressions,’ he cautioned me. ‘Doing it now may not pose much of a problem, but can you sustain it?’ He was unusually serious.
I laughed him off. ‘Don’t bother about that,’ I replied. ‘Remember I told her I had some spare money? That’s what I want to spend now.’
‘If you say so, but ladies are too quick to jump into conclusions – especially when it has to do with the male’s pockets. Make sure she doesn’t see you as a cash cow.’
‘Don’t worry, I get you perfectly well.’
I perfectly understood his concerns. I had seen such tendency in lots of females, my mum inclusive, but had also seen a few who were different. My mum’s demands on my dad sometimes irritated even me and I had reproved her on one or two occasions. Through her and my cousin who had been with us since the death of her dad, my dad’s elder brother, I had come to realise that ladies didn’t always make demands because they lacked but out of an unconscious inclination to stash up. I had accused my cousin, who was about two years older than me, on several occasions of being parasitic but she always laughed it off, saying I would learn from experience.
‘I am in control,’ I insisted, giving Saliu a playful pat on the back.
‘If you say so,’ he said with a smile. ‘I am talking from experience. If you see how the babe open account for my head!’
I chuckled at the quip and left him. He had advised me to meet her alone, despite my wish to have him beside me. He would go to the library where I would meet him when I was through with Sylvia and we would thereafter leave for home. I turned around after a few metres, suddenly feeling uncertain about my venture, but couldn’t see him again. I braced up and continued. Elites Kitchen was now in sight.
I was about entering the hall when I heard someone call my name. I knew instantly who it was and turned around with a broad smile.
‘Hello, Jenny,’ I said, opening my arms for a hug. It didn’t seem the wisest thing to do, but I couldn’t help it that moment.
‘Hello, Christopher,’ she replied moving into my arms with her arms around her chest. Like one stung by a bee, she pulled out of the hug almost immediately.
‘You are looking splendid,’ I said sincerely. She was looking even prettier than the previous day in pink, halter-necked top and black pants which illustrated her hourglass figure. Her lips were painted in glossy pink and she was donning dark brown sunglasses – same colour as the anklets on her feet.
‘Thanks, and you are not looking bad either,’ she replied.
I smiled and motioned her to go inside, following closely behind.
A waiter came to us immediately we had secured a table. She smiled patronizingly and leaned on the table top, exposing her cleavage. I wasn’t sure if she wasn’t being deliberately seductive. I shifted my gaze to the tablecloth.
‘Can I take your order, sir?’ She said. Her voice was musical.
‘Surely,’ I replied and gave her our orders. She walked off, wagging her bottom seductively. I smiled and faced Sylvia, but was surprised to meet her gaze already on me. She had taken off her glasses. ‘Well?’
‘Yes,’ she stressed, ‘what were you looking at?’
I made a face. ‘What are you talking about?’
‘Nothing,’ she said and shook her head. I was ill at ease. I knew she was referring to the waiter but her assumptions were totally wrong.
‘What is in your mind, Jenny?’ I asked, giving her a penetrating stare.
‘I said nothing,’ she replied with a chuckle. ‘Your order is here,’ she said next, nodding in the direction of the approaching waitress.
‘Our orders,’ I corrected, feeling slightly irritated. Was I really ready for a relationship, I asked myself. I could still back out, I contemplated, I wasn’t sure I was ready for the excess baggage it came with.

To be continued...

1 Like

Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 8:40am On May 26, 2017
This is beautiful as usual, man. Do well to come continue, it's enlightening and interesting.
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 10:46am On Jul 18, 2018
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
This is beautiful as usual, man. Do well to come continue, it's enlightening and interesting.
Yes, I will. Many factors contributed to the delay. Thankfully, we can move on now.
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 4:12pm On Jul 19, 2018
‘Our orders,’ I corrected, feeling slightly irritated. Was I really ready for a relationship, I asked myself. I could still back out, I contemplated, I wasn’t sure I was ready for the excess baggage it came with.
‘Here you are, sir,’ said the waitress, setting the table. I didn’t even look at her this time; my mind was preoccupied with other things.
‘Won’t you eat your food?’ Sylvia said when the waitress was gone. It was back to her normal tone, the one that I loved.
‘Of course, I will,’ I replied, concentrating on her. Again, I met her gaze on me – she was smiling conciliatorily. The aroma from the fried rice with salad wafted into my nostrils.
‘Have I offended you?’ She asked, still smiling.
‘No, Jenny, how can you?’ I had forgotten all my previous reservations about carrying on with the pursuit. The waitress came again, this time with our drinks – a bottle of soft drink for me and a can of yoghurt for her. I asked for our bills and paid.
‘So, Jenny…’ I began before she cut me off.
‘Christopher,’ she stressed, ‘I’m not Jenny, my name is Sylvia.’
‘What?’ I almost screamed. Why had she given me a wrong name in the first place?
‘Yes, my name isn’t Jenny; I only said that to get you off my back.’
Ladies! What was she feeling like? I wondered. What made her think her name was so important? I saw the gesture as being unnecessarily childish but didn’t tell her so. ‘But I’m right before you now, right?’
She chuckled and hit me on the chest. ‘You are so funny. Please, let’s eat.’ Saying this, she spooned in some rice into her mouth. I watched her chew for some time before doing same.
It was going to be a real adventure, I told myself, getting to know the opposite sex. I had always thought I knew a lot, but the lady before me was proving that speculation otherwise. How my respect for my dad soared that moment – for him to have successfully kept one like my mum for so many years! I hoped I learned fast enough.
‘Sylvia,’ I said slowly, after sipping from my drink. She looked up, but the words stuck in my throat.
I quickly changed the topic, hiding my anxiety behind a nervous smile. ‘How have your lectures been today?’
‘Fine,’ she replied. ‘How was yours?’
‘Fine too. We had two classes.’
‘Hmmm, interesting.’
For the next four minutes, no word was exchanged between us. I didn’t want to stutter once I got started, so I tried rehearsing my lines in my heart before expressing them. I was still on this when Sylvia spoke up.
‘Chris, I’ve patiently been awaiting the questions you said you would be asking me today. So, would you shoot now?’ She checked her wristwatch, instantly shooting up the rate of my heartbeats. She was trying to tell me that time wasn’t on my side.
I cleared my throat, aware that I had to do it, whatever the outcome. I fixed her an intent stare, sustaining it till she batted her eyelids. After that, the fierceness in her eyes was gone. Then, I smiled.
‘I don’t know how to say this, but I’ve decided to be absolutely truthful with you. Jenny…sorry, Sylvia, you are the first lady who would be affecting me this way, but I have a strong feeling that it is for the right reasons.’ I pause to observe her reaction. Her face was expressionless. I continued. ‘Though you may feel it’s coming too early, I think I’m beginning to love you and would want you to give me the chance to make this love grow.’ I stopped and awaited her response. She was through eating and was sucking her yoghurt with a straw. Sylvia sighed, cleared her throat with a little cough and smiled.
‘Chris, I have heard all you have said so far, but can’t piece out some sense out of it. What is it you really want?’ She started sucking her yoghurt again.
The question wasn’t one I was prepared for and I didn’t take too kindly to it. What was the problem with her; I pondered, or was it a problem with all ladies. Could she honestly claim not to understand what I meant or was she just trying to pull my legs? I had previously heard of such tales, but it seemed very strange now it was happening to me.
‘What I’m saying is that you should give me an opportunity into your heart. I will be very grateful and think you won’t regret …’ I stopped abruptly due to the sudden raise of her face. Many thoughts sprang up in my heart. Had I said the wrong thing? Was I sounding unserious, inexperienced or outrightly childish?
The words had already been published and couldn’t be recalled. The answers I needed were with her, and she didn’t seem in a hurry to give them.
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 7:58am On Jul 20, 2018
continues...

The words had already been published and couldn’t be recalled. The answers I needed were with her, and she didn’t seem in a hurry to give them.
‘Why did you stop midway?’ She asked like an interrogator who loved her job. ‘What were you saying?’
I was losing the plot – I knew it, and I also knew I could do better. I was allowing myself get intimidated, I reminded myself. I had to show some steel.
‘Why are you pulling my legs, Sylvia? Is that because I said I loved you?’ I looked into her eyes, trying to force a smile. It wasn’t quite successful as my effort verged between a smile and a scowl. I was sure it would look more like a frown than a smile.
‘I am not. It’s just that I would want you to be clear about your intentions,’ she spelt out.
‘Now you know, what’s your response?’ I could feel my confidence grow; I was getting her on the defensive. My food was now forgotten. I had lost my appetite since I started expressing my feelings for her.
‘Don’t you think you are being in too much of a rush?’ Sylvia asked calmly.
‘I don’t think so,’ I replied, though common sense dictated otherwise. I felt I would lose momentum if I eased the push.
‘Well, I think so, Christopher.’ The way she said my name sent chills down my spine. ‘I met you yesterday for the first time in my life; barely know you and you are saying this? I think you are in too much of a rush.’ The way she said it had an air of finality that made me realise that everything was still very much in her hands. Just then, her phone rang and I had to watch her for the next three minutes chat with the caller. The way she laughed freely with the caller, whom I knew was a guy, made me quite jealous. I would have loved to ask who the caller was, but didn’t, knowing that that could be pushing my luck too far. In accordance with Saliu’s instructions, I had deliberately refrained from asking if she was already in a relationship. The answer could be devastating, Saliu had warned, it was better to leave the lid on while hoping for the best than lift it and discover the jar was filled with worms.
‘So, when will you give me an answer,’ I pushed, though this time with a shaky voice.
‘I have the answer now – that’s if you want it.’ The way she said it wasn’t confidence inspiring.
‘What’s it?’ I asked, hoping for the best and expecting the worst.
‘No. my answer is no,’ she said calmly, oblivious of the grave harm she was doing to my heart. I wished the ground will open up and swallow me that moment.
‘Why?’ I asked, my voice groaningly low. ‘I thought we were…’
‘I didn’t share your thoughts,’ she said bluntly, viewing her phone’s screen. Suddenly, Sylvia was transformed from a warm friend to cold stranger. Why was she so unfeeling, I asked myself.
I had employed the wrong strategies, I thought, I shouldn’t have been too pushy. But, I couldn’t help it, I contended, and women were very complex beings – so difficult to understand. I smiled as this came to my mind – many had described me in same manner too. The smile was brief and was off in no time.
‘Sylvia, I know that you may not know too much about me yet, but you will come to find me as one who is true to his words,’ I held, speaking in low groans. ‘I might be relatively inexperienced, but that gives you the chance to be my teacher.’
She smiled – like an elder sister on her kid brother, and placed her palm on my hand on the table. ‘I don’t want you to take this too bad, but you don’t seem like one I could love.’
‘Sylvia, I am,’ I argued. ‘You are saying this because you don’t know me, but I promise you…’
She arose suddenly, leaving my sentence hanging midway: ‘I will think about what you have said, hope that’s okay?’ I couldn’t muster a reply. ‘Isn’t that okay?’ She restated.
‘Okay,’ I nodded. That was the best I could say that moment. Then she carried her bag and left me there, gaping.
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 8:04am On Jul 20, 2018
Am I alone here? There hasn't been any reaction so far. Probably, no one is following anymore
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by chigozie69: 6:14pm On Sep 30, 2018
nice one op, don't b discourage because people r commenting, just do a nice work, and u wil drive traffic
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Enny2013(f): 4:55pm On Oct 01, 2018
chai....hw do I get to finish ds story?..oh lord!
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 7:41am On Oct 05, 2018
Enny2013:
chai....hw do I get to finish ds story?..oh lord!
chigozie69:
nice one op, don't b discourage because people r commenting, just do a nice work, and u wil drive traffic

I will complete it...if for nothing, for your sakes. In fact, it's been completed long ago.
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by chigozie69: 2:31pm On Oct 05, 2018
gud one op, let's kip it rolling
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 11:06pm On Oct 05, 2018
‘Okay,’ I nodded. That was the best I could say that moment. Then she carried her bag and left me there, gaping.
I felt drained. I felt like one who had just completed a marathon. I remained there for over five minutes unable to arise. Many were coming in and going out, but I wasn’t one of them. I was locked in my thoughts, wondering whether there was any more hope in my pursuit. I needed Saliu that moment, I knew he would have some answers, but found it difficult rising. I was rudely brought back to reality by the sharp ring of my phone. I checked it and was relieved to see it was Saliu.
‘Hey, guy,’ he said, ‘where are you?’ He couldn’t be so flippant if he knew what I was passing through, I thought.
‘Still at the eatery,’ I coolly replied.
‘What are you still doing there? I saw your babe some minutes ago, or have you been hooked by another?’
‘I thought you were still in the library,’ I said, ignoring his assertion.
‘I left there over ten minutes ago. I am coming for you now, don’t you leave there,’ he said and ended the call. Limply, I slipped the phone into my pocket and waited. The waitress who had served us walked past me and I observed that she was very beautiful, though not quite as sophisticated as the undergraduates. She also looked cheap – something I disliked in any lady.
Two minutes later, I saw Saliu’s shape sliding the entrance door open. Though, I wasn’t looking at him, I knew he was smiling as he sighted me and approached my table. I had barely gone halfway with my food – I knew he will start from there.
‘You did well,’ he said after a belch. He had just finished eating my remaining food and had washed it down with a bottle of Coke which he ordered himself. I had been narrating to him what transpired between me and Sylvia while he ate.
‘Really? You think so?’ I asked expectantly, like a kid who had been bemoaning his perceived poor performance in an assignment, only to be informed that he had performed well after all.
‘Yea, you did what any man will do. I won’t have expected a different reply from her, either.’
I stared at him, expecting him to elaborate on his statement. He didn’t. ‘Are you saying that she did well, leaving me hanging?’
Saliu laughed softly. ‘No, but what did you expect? Did you think she will jump into your arms immediately and cover you with kisses?’
‘No, but…’
‘Forget any buts. You have successfully scaled through the first stage, now you are to hit the next stage…’ His phone rang. ‘Excuse me…’ It was Bisi, his new girlfriend. The way he laughed and addressed her showed how very much into her he was. I wondered if I could ever be like that.
‘That was Bisi, abi?’ I asked when he had ended the call.
‘Yea, guy and she wants to see me immediately,’ he replied and leaned forward a bit. ‘I think she will be spending the night with me,’ he added in a whisper, smiling broadly.
I sneered at him, but he didn’t seem to care. He patted my hand and arose.
‘Are you leaving?’ I asked, feeling silly for doing so. I had heard him initially. I really didn’t want him to go, but I knew I was being selfish for thinking so.
‘Yea, she is waiting for me right now,’ he said. ‘Come on, let’s go.’
I arose slowly, straightened my clothes and trudged after him. I would leave them once he found Bisi.
I called Sylvia every day, for the next two weeks. Her responses were initially hostile, but my determination coupled with Saliu’s encouragement helped me persevere. Several times, I felt like giving up, but Saliu always pushed me on. Gradually, she became friendlier, though still unwilling to accede to my request. It was in the evening of the fourteenth day after our meeting at Elites Kitchen that I received a call from her to meet her at a restaurant in town. I had initially called her twice that day and had just sent her a text message when her call came in. Excited yet apprehensive, I got into some clothes and was soon on a taxi to the restaurant.
She was looking as pretty as ever in a brown tank top on black jeans. She was wearing brown glasses and for her feet had on brown sandals. I could see perfectly pedicured toenails poking out from the sandals. They had a lining of brown nail varnish. I could see she had a thing for the brown colour.
‘Christopher,’ she said when I was near and gestured for a hug which I happily obliged her. I had met her twice in school since our conversation at Elites Kitchen and she hadn’t even offered me a handshake.
‘Sylvia,’ I stressed in an emotion laden voice, crushing her to myself.
‘Let’s go inside,’ she said when I had released her, and turned around to lead the way. I followed like a goat to the butchery.
At the doorway, I remembered that I had forgotten to pick more money. There wasn’t much in my wallet. I hoped she was going to be considerate in making her orders. The interior of the restaurant looked very expensive.
Sylvia led me to a table at the far end. I noticed it had already been laid, but its contents were covered with a tablecloth.
‘Here you are,’ she said, pointing at one of the two seats. I settled into it while she took the other. ‘Are you surprised?’ She asked, seeing the faraway look in my eyes.
‘Of course, I am,’ I truthfully replied.
‘Why?’
I couldn’t point at any particular reason, and I told her so.
Sylvia laughed, removed her glasses and patted my hand. ‘I knew you would say so.’ I couldn’t see anything funny in my admission.
She removed the tablecloth to reveal a bottle of grape wine, two cans of non-alcoholic malt drinks and two packs of meat pie. The aroma hit my nostrils, making me salivate.
‘Here, I got these for us,’ she said, stressing the last word. I smiled, mentally calculating the cost.
‘I really appreciate this, Sylvia,’ I said, meaning it. ‘Merely being here with you is sufficient satisfaction.’ I was surprised, hearing myself. I was really learning fast.
She closed her eyes and slowly inhaled – a smile playing on her lips. In my inexperience, I knew what that meant – she was in love.
‘Do you know why I called you here?’ She inquired, gazing into my eyes. I held her gaze.
‘I am not sure,’ I replied, carefully picking my words.
‘You have told me several times that you love me, do you really mean it?’
‘Yes,’ I replied quickly. ‘I love you like none else.’
‘Like none else, when you said I’m the first lady you’ve ever approached?’
‘I mean like no one else can love you,’ I said solemnly, opening my palms for her to place hers in. She did so, closing her eyes again. It was like magic, I wished Saliu was there to witness it.
‘Are you sure?’ She asked like one pained, ‘will you always be there for me?’
‘Yes, Sylvia, always,’ I pronounced. ‘I want you not just for the present, but forever.’ I meant every word.
‘I love you too,’ she said arising. I arose too and enveloped her in a firm hug. We were oblivious of the presence of other customers who didn’t seem to. mind anyway. When we broke the hug, her eyes were glazed with tears. I gave her my handkerchief to wipe her tears, and she sighed gratefully, with a shy smile.
‘Thanks, dear,’ she muttered.
‘Please, sit down,’ I said gently, and waited for her to sit before doing so myself.
‘Will you still love me when you know my story?’ She asked imploringly.
‘Why not? Whatever story you have is past. Together, we’ll build a glorious future.’ Did I just say that? I asked myself. Was I really ready to marry her? Yes, I told myself, I wanted to marry her.
‘Let’s eat,’ she said and picked a pie. She bit a little off it and stretched it for me to take a bite. I did and she mumbled something unintelligible. I was in a daze. I was in love!
Her phone rang that moment, but she ignored it. I asked her why and she said it was disturbing us. Thereafter, she switched it off. I was yet to take a pie but had to when she insisted. It was tasteless, my mind was too heavy. She went to the counter to get a nylon bag to carry the remaining items home. Then she invited me to her house where she said she wanted to tell me her story…and hear mine. We were about setting out for her house when my phone rang; it was Saliu.

1 Like

Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 11:43pm On Oct 05, 2018
Big bro, I've been off here but I'm back now. Please, do continue. I can't wait.
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 7:09am On Oct 06, 2018
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
Big bro, I've been off here but I'm back now. Please, do continue. I can't wait.
One or two more updates and we are done. Thanks for the feedback.
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 7:12am On Oct 06, 2018
CONTINUES...

We were about setting out for her house when my phone rang; it was Saliu.
I listened as she spoke about her first relationship. He was the son of the pastor of their church, who also doubled as a classmate in school. He was older than her by nine months. From childhood he had always visited their house and this didn’t change even in their teenage years. Her parents still saw him as the little kid who used to accompany his mum or aunt to their house and still accorded him the same freedom of foretimes.
At seventeen, Elisha wasn’t the same kid they used to know. His hormones were now active and he had overheard tales of trysts told between his elder sisters and their friends. He had also stumbled upon one or two X-rated videos in their phones and had desired to experiment what he saw for long.
He came to their house one evening in the holidays with a compact disc which he claimed contained some songs and offered to teach her some of them. Her parents were about going out when he arrived and they asked her to take care of the house after asking after his parents. When they were gone, he informed her of the CD and taught her one of the songs he claimed were in it. After learning the song which she really liked, she collected the CD from him and went to slot it into their DVD player. It turned out not to be a songs collection, but an X-rated movie.
Elisha feigned surprise at what it contained, but suggested that they watch a bit of it just to satisfy their curiosity. She was initially disgusted but was too curious to put an end to what would lure them into illicitness. It stole upon them, and before she could get back her senses, the deed had been done and she was sore below. She successfully hid it from her parents, thinking it would be a one-off, but the reverse was the case. It became a regular occurrence and before she could do anything about it, she had become pregnant.
Her mum was the one who first discovered it and it was she who arranged for her to abort it. It was a scandal she couldn’t afford; her mum claimed and informed her that they would get rid of it. Her dad was never to know about it and he didn’t until a year later when he heard about it from the doctor who had performed the abortion. The doctor had thought all along that he supported the act. Her dad had flown into a rage, beating up her mum for the first time in their marriage – an act he later apologised for. He also left the church, convincing many others to do same, and forbade Elisha from ever setting foot in his house again. It was useless as Elisha had already been sent overseas to continue his studies. It was shortly after she informed him of her pregnancy. He never contacted her again.
Ever since, she had been wary of men and sworn never to get into a relationship again, a resolve that changed when she met me. According to Sylvia, there was something about me that set me apart from other guys. She had tried to battle the affection she felt for me initially, but had to give in when it became obvious that it was going to be a failed task.
‘Thank you for coming for me,’ she said in conclusion, then turned away suddenly. I knew she was trying to hide her tears again.
I moved to her, held her and allowed her bury her face in my chest. I could feel her warm tears on my chest.
‘I should be the one thanking you,’ I said softly, stroking her hair. ‘I have heard your story and can only say I love you even more.’
‘Thank you,’ she sobbed. ‘Do you still consider me worthy for marriage?’
That was my grand intention for her and I reaffirmed it.
I looked at the clock on her wall; it was five minutes past nine. I had to go and I told her.
‘Why not spend the night here?’ She asked pleadingly. ‘It’s already too late out there.’
‘I would have loved to,’ I replied, ‘but I can’t. I am having a class very early tomorrow morning.’
‘If you say so,’ she sulked.
‘Come on, Sylvia, you don’t know how much I want to be with you. There’s still tomorrow and I’m yet to tell you my own story.’ At this, she smiled. ‘Now, will you wipe your pretty face and see me off?’
‘Your wish is my command,’ she replied and pulled a handkerchief from her bag. ‘Let’s go,’ she said, dabbing her teary eyes.
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 3:56pm On Oct 06, 2018
Ohibenemma:
One or two more updates and we are done. Thanks for the feedback.
Great!
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ann2012(f): 11:16am On Oct 07, 2018
Well done OP
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by chigozie69: 12:44pm On Oct 07, 2018
Tanks for d update. D way u described, n analysed d story, shows hw good u r? w hope u don't kip us salivating for long.
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 4:27pm On Oct 07, 2018
chigozie69:
Tanks for d update. D way u described, n analysed d story, shows hw good u r? w hope u don't kip us salivating for long.
No, I won't. Update on shortly.
Ann2012:
Well done OP
Thanks
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 4:28pm On Oct 07, 2018
Continues...

‘Your wish is my command,’ she replied and pulled a handkerchief from her bag. ‘Let’s go,’ she said, dabbing her teary eyes.
I loved Sylvia with all my heart and tried all I could to make her happy and secured. I was ready to share all I had with her and sometimes made sacrifices just to make her comfortable. I always felt I had made the best choice and never rated any other lady as highly as Sylvia. It wasn’t really difficult for me – I had always been highly principled, due to my strong moral upbringing. At twenty two, I was still a virgin. I had been tempted on several occasions but didn’t find them insurmountable. Sylvia seemed excited when I told her – she said she still dreaded sex after her experience with Elisha. I was happy too, to have found someone who shared my convictions.
‘Body no be firewood,’ Saliu told me when I informed him of our decision to remain chaste.
I knew where he was coming from. Aside his steady girlfriend, he still slept around occasionally. For him, faithfulness was for the female. His dad, he claimed, had three wives, and from all indications was planning to add a fourth. This was aside a few unknown concubines, one of whom he knew.
‘For me, I don’t see that as a problem,’ I replied him. ‘I plan to remain like this until marriage.’
He laughed and shook his head. ‘This is an advice, guy; don’t learn the hard way.’
‘I am telling you that I can remain like this until then,’ I insisted, ‘and Sylvia is fully in support, too.’
‘It’s okay,’ he said, but I knew, from the manner he said it, that it wasn’t okay.
I didn’t dwell on the issue. On such matters, we were very different. I had nothing to fear, I told myself, Saliu wasn’t the one involved.
Two days later, I had my first quarrel with Sylvia. We had seen in school that morning and she had promised to visit me in the evening. We had a drama rehearsal in my church fellowship that evening, and I was taking a major role in the drama. I called her to inform her about it, begging her to call me when she was coming so I could rush back home. We had just finished the first drama when her call came in. I excused myself and rushed home to meet her.
‘You kept me waiting, mister,’ she said when I had unlocked the door and was inside. She still stood in the doorway.
‘I’m sorry, dear,’ I said gently. I knew I was saying so for the third time. ‘Please, leave the doorway,’ I pleaded.
‘Come and remove me,’ she said in a playful challenge.
‘I will,’ I said, smiling and flexing my muscles. I moved to her and lifted her in a tight bear hug, amidst her protests. I set her on the bed and went to shut the door.
‘What are you trying to prove?’ She asked, giggling, ‘I allowed you do that. Otherwise, it won’t have been possible.’
‘Oh yea, it would have been – I’m much stronger than you,’ I quipped and went to switch on the television. The remote was in her hands and she was already switching between different channels before I joined her on the bed.
She drew closer to me and laid her head on my laps. The smell of her freshly permed hair wafted into my nostrils, intoxicating my senses. I stroked it repeatedly.
‘I was lucky to have finished my part before your call came in,’ I said, running my thumb on the outline of her cheekbones.
‘Really? Would you have kept me waiting had it been otherwise?’
‘Maybe…let’s just be happy that there was no need for that.’
She suddenly jerked like one stung by a reptile. ‘What?’
‘What’s the problem?’
‘Nothing,’ she replied, relaxing again. I remembered the last time I heard something like that – at Elites Kitchen. What was it with ladies and implied statements?
‘If you say so,’ I said, shrugging it off. ‘I was the lead character – the chief priest who refused to allow the entry of missionaries into our kingdom…’
‘So, that’s how important I am to you?’ She mumbled. I heard her.
‘What’s that again, Sylvia?’
‘Is that how important I am to you?’
‘Come off it,’ I replied. ‘I left others at the rehearsal to be here with you.’
‘Thank you,’ she said coolly, and sat up to rest her back against the wall. I offered her a pillow for comfort. She muttered her thanks again and sighed. ‘You knew I was coming, yet couldn’t sacrifice today for me?’
What was she talking about? I asked myself. What other sacrifice did she want from me?
‘I’m sorry,’ I said, for want of something better to say.
‘And you just pushed me off your thighs because I aired my thoughts?’ I was dumbfounded. I didn’t do any such thing. I only allowed her do what she seemed to favour.
‘Why are you making things difficult for me?’ I asked her. In response, she smiled wryly. I tried to draw her closer, but instead she arose.
‘I’m leaving,’ she said. ‘I’m going home.’
‘But you just arrived,’ I protested. She was already at the door.
‘Since you don’t want me here, I’m leaving. You may go back to your rehearsal.’
‘Suit yourself,’ I said, highly irritated. She opened the door and went out, probably expecting me to run after her. I wasn’t going to do any such thing, I determined, as I lay back on the bed. I wondered how she came about such childishness; I wondered how long I was going to continue babysitting her.
‘You are not giving her what she wants,’ Saliu said when I told him about her behaviour that evening.
It was barely twenty minutes after her departure when he came over. We had initially planned to visit some other friends together that evening – a plan that was already long forgotten.
‘What does she want?’ I demanded.
‘Sex,’ he bluntly replied. ‘Everybody wants it; it is the glue that bonds…’
‘I don’t want it,’ I cut in, ‘and Sylvia doesn’t either.’
He smiled in a wry way. ‘You are the man and she expects you to take the lead.’
I changed the topic; it was an issue on which we could never reach a compromise. Shortly after, we were on our way to see some friends – I needed it to clear my head.
For the first time since the commencement of our relationship, I refused to call her before going to bed. She didn’t call me either but her call woke me the next morning. She was pleading for forgiveness.

1 Like

Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by chigozie69: 5:25pm On Oct 07, 2018
Tanks for d update
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 6:37pm On Oct 08, 2018
Last Shot

For the first time since the commencement of our relationship, I refused to call her before going to bed. She didn’t call me either but her call woke me the next morning. She was pleading for forgiveness.
I was now in my fourth and final year in school and Saliu was on his fifth girlfriend. Over time, I discovered his initial presumptions to be true – Sylvia wanted sexual gratification. It had initially seemed a joke, but things took a dangerous turn the day we went for a departmental dinner. The show had ended very late in the night and Sylvia had consumed too much alcohol. Saliu had gone to the dinner with two bottles of wine. It was the final dinner party we would be attending as undergraduates and that was Saliu’s way of celebrating his perceived impending freedom. I knew the wine was alcoholic and had warned her against it, but Sylvia had insisted and I let her be. A sip soon led to a gulp and by the time the party was over, she was already soaked. A friend of ours, Philip, who had a car offered to drive us home, an offer we gratefully accepted.
I, Sylvia, Saliu and Tope, his latest catch hopped in, homebound. I would have preferred to have her taken home, but had to succumb to pressure from Saliu and Philip who insisted that she was in no state to be left to herself. I agreed and led her in when we arrived at my house. Once inside, she discarded her clothing, complaining of heat and wrapped herself with one of my bed sheets. I couldn’t stop her, I could only regret going to the dinner party with her. I took off my shirt and trouser and, clad only in my boxers and a singlet, slipped into bed. I slept at the edge in my bid to create as much space as possible for her but soon felt her hand on me.
‘Please, sleep,’ I whispered, cupping the hand on my chest. She was still for a moment, but suddenly started moving the hand in circular motions on my chest. ‘Stop, baby,’ I said, pushing off her hand. I could feel my member hardening.
She came on stronger this time, sneaking onto me. In my attempt to push her off, my hand came in contact with her bare skin.
‘Sylvia, stop this now! You have had too much drink,’ I said, sitting up.
‘I’m not drunk!’ She shot back, not in a slur but with a firm tone. ‘I want you, sweetheart,’ she added gently.
‘Stop this, baby,’ I said and got on my feet, leaving her on the bed. She arose too and slowly approached me. The room was sufficiently lit by the full moonlight which came in through the louvers. I saw her in all her glory but held on to the last strands of my self-control to hold myself.
‘Why do you hate me so much?’ She lamented. ‘It’s been over two years since we met and you haven’t touched me, why?’
I had many answers in my mind, but I didn’t bother stating them. I had informed her of them on several occasions in the past.
‘I know why you are doing this to me – you are getting it from other ladies out there.’
How could she level such a grievous accusation against me? I wondered. She had never found me in a compromising situation, yet could accuse me so. I chose to ignore the accusation.
‘Please, cover up yourself,’ I said softly, going to get the sheet she had initially used in wrapping herself.
‘You are not answering, right? Because you are guilty?’ She challenged, receiving the bed sheet from me.
‘You know that’s not true,’ I said softly but firmly. I sat on the bed.
‘It’s true!’ She snarled. ‘Prove me wrong if it isn’t!’
‘How do you want me to do that?’
‘By showing your manliness.’ Saying this, she attempted to fall on my thighs where my member was raging hard, but got a quick shove from me.
‘Stop this, Sylvia! Stop acting like a cheap slut!’ I had sprung up while she was on the bed where I had shoved her. ‘When I marry you, I will show you my manliness.’
‘Fine,’ she said, with an air of finality, ‘you are simply useless.’ After a long hiss, she turned around and was soon asleep. She was gone when I woke up the next morning.
What else could I have done? I asked myself, rolling on the bed. Aside the sex factor which was initially based on mutual agreement, I had given my all just to make things work. I had gone hungry to free up some funds to make her comfortable, I had been to her parents and clearly spelt out my intentions for her, my parents and siblings saw her as my future wife, I had refused advances from other ladies – faithfully sticking to her, I had tolerated her inadequacies – consciously reminding myself that nobody was perfect – not even me.
I was discombobulated, therefore, when I got news of her affair with Tony, Saliu’s roommate. Saliu was the first to suspect something going on between them. He made sure to confirm it before informing me of it. I was very angry and rashly confronted her. Sylvia denied all my accusations and even accused me of failing to trust her. I was in two minds afterwards – I didn’t know who to trust between her and Saliu. Thereafter, she stopped accepting my calls and was always nasty when we met in school; her excuse was that she was angry with me for failing to trust her. It took three weeks for things to return to a state of near normalcy. I was now very busy working on my project and explained this to her.
‘You never really had my time,’ she snapped in response. I couldn’t say more, she was becoming a total stranger.
Barely a week after, Saliu called me to come to his house immediately. The urgency in his tone made me drop whatever I was doing and hurry there. The class we were supposed to have that day had been suddenly postponed when we got to school and we had had to go back home to continue work on our projects, only for Saliu to meet her shoes – which I had bought for her – on their doorstep. I hurried to meet Saliu pacing up and down the passage.
‘They are inside,’ he told me once I was within earshot.
‘Who?’ I asked, a sense of foreboding immediately coming upon me.
He beckoned me to follow him and led me to his room door. He pointed at the shoes and turned around to leave the building. I went after him.
‘I’m going home,’ I told him and left for my house.
I called her, told her what I had seen and invited her over to my place. She agreed, but came prepared.
Instead of apologising like I thought she would, she threw me in the defensive, placing the entire fault at my feet.
Despite all, I still wanted us to work things out. She had other ideas. I tried to educate her on how Tony was with girls – repeating what I had heard from his roommate, Saliu, but she was obstinate. She had tasted the forbidden fruit and seemed hooked to it. I knew she would learn the hard way…but couldn’t guarantee her place in my heart once it was healed. For now, it was injured, bruised, broken, but not shattered.

THE END...

3 Likes

Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by chigozie69: 10:27pm On Oct 08, 2018
op, is dat d end
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ann2012(f): 12:14am On Oct 09, 2018
Interesting

Well done OP
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Akposb(m): 11:57am On Oct 09, 2018
Good story Sir
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 1:05pm On Oct 09, 2018
chigozie69:
op, is dat d end
Yes o! it's a short story nau.
Ann2012:
Interesting

Well done OP
Thanks.
Re: Broken, Not Shattered... A Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 1:06pm On Oct 09, 2018
Akposb:
Good story Sir
Thanks sir.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairaland Book Of The Month (1/2)--as Deep As The Sea By Serah Iyare / A Novel; Joe And The Brutts / Endless Tears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 216
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.