Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,407 members, 7,819,448 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:30 PM

BIG BROTHER NAIJA: Does Education Really Matter?‎ Eniola Opeyemi Writes - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / BIG BROTHER NAIJA: Does Education Really Matter?‎ Eniola Opeyemi Writes (1033 Views)

Everyone Writes About Movies And I Like Musicals / Big Brother Naija 2019: How To Buy Form And Apply For Audition / Pasuma's Daughter Opeyemi Khadijat Graduates University In Georgia ... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

BIG BROTHER NAIJA: Does Education Really Matter?‎ Eniola Opeyemi Writes by Kakaakinews: 3:54pm On Apr 08, 2017
“We Must Educate Our People Or Perish” - Babs Fafunwa

In my country Nigeria, education is seen as the qualification to knowledge and a phenomenon to blend with the elite. Nigeria is carried away with certificate syndrome which is no longer a criteria for development in the developed nation.

I have followed Big brother Naija at my leisure period to keep my brain relaxed, just like every other commoners, I exhaust litres of PMS (petrol) in my I pass my neighbor generator but I may be unfair just like every other Nigerians who wouldn't even spear some moment to watch convocation ceremonies and the best graduating students, no body hypes 'the efiwes' rather we enjoy the heavily invested social programme which had little or no value to our orientation nor proffer solutions to our everyday challenges.

The big brother Naija as a case study has exposed what our education really looks like and our pretence to value education more than other social life, at the mention of education, I mean formal education, something flash at mind, that is, the number of graduates annually and the no employment challenges, yet, you can come on reality shows for less than three months which is equivalent to a semester and get paid in millions.

Recently, a governor (s) from the south - south geo political zone shows interest on who he wants to be the winner of the Big Brother Nigeria, cash doled out from the campaign and more concentration are on this plight. The Governor as reported, often abadon every other activity to watch the reality show, no big deal at that though, but how are the best graduating students of various states honoured?

I stumbled upon a newspaper report, where the mother of a  first class graduate of University of Lagos pleaded for help, to make the picture clearer, I have some extracts of her statement.

“My daughter hardly have time for social engagements. She reads a lot, to the point that, as parents, we sometimes Complained. 
“So, it didn’t come as a surprise to us (parent) when we got the report of her having first class with 5.00 CGPA. It was a result of hard work, focus and dedication.
“I want to appeal to governments at all levels to come to the aid of parents whose children are geniuses but are poor. By so doing, such students would not have their talents buried for lack of fund. 
“I’m also appealing to governments to aid the process through which such graduating students will get jobs,” - Mrs Taiwo Bankole

That is just one of the many cases of our less - celebrated finests, yet, we would be doing the nation a great disservice if we continue on this path. The most lucrative business in the present day Nigeria is Politics, entertainment and sports, they seems to have better pay, recognition and hype, yet, the best brain in education goes solo after announcement of their fine run. The government seems not to look into the direction of reverting this eye sore.

The minister of information and culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, earlier this year reiterated why the MoU is important for Nigeria’s creative industries, he explained that the film industry, best known as Nollywood, is the most energetic in the world and has a total estimated value of over $500 million per annum, sure, a whole lot of money and it tends to add much to our Internal Generated Revenue (IGR), where does education stand?

This and many more issues surrounding education have to be addressed, there is need to tell ourselves the truth, do the present situation surrounding education motivates putting all to it?

The multinationals have a lot to contribute, the #BBNaija is worth more than a billion naira, considering it's sponsorships, rights and the money raked from votes, plus the twenty - five (25) million naira prize for the winner, can education programme have this?

Only if the Professors, scholars and various organisation such as ASUU, NASU, COEASU and other staffs association can stand up to this, not leaving the various students' union shying away for core responsibilities.

Does education really matter?

Eniola Opeyemi writes from Magodo, Lagos.
Eniolaopeyemi@gmail.com

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIG BROTHER NAIJA: Does Education Really Matter?‎ Eniola Opeyemi Writes by hungryboy(m): 4:21pm On Apr 08, 2017
No make am look like say na only for Naija were reality TV stars dey earn pass professors abeg

Even in America,

The Kardashians

Earn more from their reality show for one season,

Than Many American professors will earn in 5yrs

Entertainment has always paid more than the education sector,
No be today e start,

If na entertainment money dey hungry you to chop,

Leave book go join film or music
Re: BIG BROTHER NAIJA: Does Education Really Matter?‎ Eniola Opeyemi Writes by menxer: 5:03pm On Apr 08, 2017
Kakaakinews:

“We Must Educate Our People Or Perish” - Babs Fafunwa
(1) In my country Nigeria, education is seen as the qualification to knowledge and a phenomenon to blend with the elite. Nigeria is carried away with certificate syndrome which is no longer a criteria for development in the developed nation.
(2)
Recently, a governor (s) from the south - south geo political zone shows interest on who he wants to be the winner of the Big Brother Nigeria, cash doled out from the campaign and more concentration are on this plight.
The Governor as reported, often abadon every other activity to watch the reality show, no big deal at that though, but how are the best graduating students of various states honoured?
(3)
The multinationals have a lot to contribute, the #BBNaija is worth more than a billion naira, considering it's sponsorships, rights and the money raked from votes, plus the twenty - five (25) million naira prize for the winner, can education programme have this?

(4)
Only if the Professors, scholars and various organisation such as ASUU, NASU, COEASU and other staffs association can stand up to this, not leaving the various students' union shying away for core responsibilities.

(5)
Does education really matter?

Observations /Objections:
@bolded (1), that is a fallacy in today's reality.

@bolded (2), make that plural.

@bolded (3), how many departments (albeit facilities in universities in Nigeria) sits on such amount in budgets yearly for R & D ?

@bolded (4), how?
Are you advocating lecturers shroud be paid celebrity salaries?

@bolded (5), it depends on where you stand (your family's socio-cultural cum economico-political background) and the decree(s)/certification(s) you have had in school(s).

(1) (Reply)

We Cover Your Event With Hd Firm Quality / Shop For Your Wedding On Facebook / Get Paid For Attending Events! Make Extra Money In 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.