Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,539 members, 7,847,230 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 01:24 PM

Nigeria: What Happened To My Generation? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigeria: What Happened To My Generation? (337 Views)

How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed / Leaf Aeroplane: Say Hi If You Did It, Indomie Generation Won't Understand "Lol" / Most Guys Of my Generation Is Guilty Of This!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria: What Happened To My Generation? by Nobody: 9:18am On Apr 09, 2017
I grew up in Benin City in the 90s.
I still remember that on a couple of occassions I had to leave school early because of 'riots.' This was in a military regime.
I still remember the famed 'Babangida must go' movement. I remember my elder brother running to my class to pull me out and take me home.
I still remember how green leaves were 'retrofitted' on cars and bikes and how people held green leaves as a show of solidarity with the 'rioters.
I still remember that there was no internet then.
I still remember watching the famed "World at 6.30" on EBS TV.
I still remember we played soccer outdoors at night. This was no origban game to be sure. It was matured guys playing inter-compound game. We had flood lights, courtesy of outdoor flourescent bulbs.
I still remember the amount of buzz generated inside the butcher line of new Benin Market whenever Shooting Stars hosted Enugu Rangers at Ogbe Stadium.
I can't recall hearing of death and wanton destruction everyday in the news.
I am still trying to recall if I ever hear the word 'corruption'.
I still remember life was much better then.

Fast forward 20 years on.
So called civilian govts get all itchy when they hear of 'peaceful demonstrations.' They do all their best to shut down the masses.
We have at our fingertips more information than the information minister in those days probably had.
Now we have BBAfrica, BBNaija and a host of meaningless 'reality' shows that ironically offer an escape from reality.
We can't afford to even watch soccer during the day on tv, much less play at night.
I don't remember the last time I heard any game was being played at the Ogbe Stadium
Everyday if its not suicide bomber, it would be Boko Haram or Fulani herdsmen.
Corruption has become a standard vocabulary in my country.
Life tends to get better with the passage of time in other places. But the case of Nigeria seems to be the reverse. Like someone once said. "Nigeria is diving backwards."

What changed?
The world changed.
Information has become cheap.
But alas the greatest change is the generation.
I don't know what happened or when it happened. But something definitely is not right with my generation.

(1) (Reply)

Online Peer 2 Peer Community / Differences Between The Twins Villages In The World / Praise Father, Son And Hol Am Dere!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.