Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

Africans And African Americans? Are We Welcomed? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Africans And African Americans? Are We Welcomed? (756 Views)

African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africans And African Americans? Are We Welcomed? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Apr 13, 2017
I've heard a few African Americans express to me that Africans have told them they aren't African and to not say they are even after taking a DNA test and finding their heritage. Why do you think this is?

I haven't had this experience and even though my family were born and raised here over the hundreds of years we have been here I just don't feel a connection to America and my household was very cultural based, though I never been to Africa my parents always had African paintings and artwork in the house and reminded us how special we were.

1 Like

Re: Africans And African Americans? Are We Welcomed? by PrinceAbinibi: 8:43pm On Apr 13, 2017
You are welcome of course, it goes both ways, unintelligent people from both sides (African American and Africans) do not like each other due to the image perpetuated by the media but if you are smarter than a rock, you know there is more to you guys than gang-bangers and there is more to Africans than poverty. Culture is almost the same- music, dance, party and opulence life style.
Re: Africans And African Americans? Are We Welcomed? by bigfrancis21: 2:47pm On Apr 14, 2017
Jcolston89:
I've heard a few African Americans express to me that Africans have told them they aren't African and to not say they are even after taking a DNA test and finding their heritage. Why do you think this is?

I haven't had this experience and even though my family were born and raised here over the hundreds of years we have been here I just don't feel a connection to America and my household was very cultural based, though I never been to Africa my parents always had African paintings and artwork in the house and reminded us how special we were.

Do not take the opinions of a few to generalize for entire Africans. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of Africans living in America who are very accepting, and even some African countries too, like Ghana for example. Moreover, once you are black it is obvious your ancestry lies in Africa. Do not let people dictate to you your origins.

1 Like

Re: Africans And African Americans? Are We Welcomed? by anonymous6(f): 1:52am On Apr 15, 2017
Jcolston89:

There is ignorance when some africans do this to be honest but I need to be honest with you when most Africans say that to a extent, they are not talking about your ancestral heritage through DNA cause all black diasporians around the world came from Africa one way or another through slavery but when africans say "you are not african" they are talking about something else. They are talking about your current culture that you live right now tracing back many generations. To some of them african americans are not connected to any sole tribe, culture or country in Africa, and most african americans are culturally more American in their culture, way of thinking and etc. Another thing African american culture is very unique after 400 years in America, so the way a african american says they are african is different from how africans in the continent of africa interpret it.
Re: Africans And African Americans? Are We Welcomed? by davidif: 5:38am On Apr 15, 2017
Jcolston89:

Rubbish!!!! Don't let anyone ever tell you what or what not to call yourself. The fact that someone who happens to be African can tell you what or what you can't be is absurd. Feel free to identify with whatever you want to be especially if it's your heritage.

Have a good day sir.
Re: Africans And African Americans? Are We Welcomed? by Nobody: 6:48am On Apr 15, 2017
That makes sense.

anonymous6:

There is ignorance when some africans do this to be honest but I need to be honest with you when most Africans say that to a extent, they are not talking about your ancestral heritage through DNA cause all black diasporians around the world came from Africa one way or another through slavery but when africans say "you are not african" they are talking about something else. They are talking about your current culture that you live right now tracing back many generations. To some of them african americans are not connected to any sole tribe, culture or country in Africa, and most african americans are culturally more American in their culture, way of thinking and etc. Another thing African american culture is very unique after 400 years in America, so the way a african american says they are african is different from how africans in the continent of africa interpret it.

(1) (Reply)

Yorubas: Bigger Than Africa / Husbands Carry Pregnant Wives Over Burning Coal In China / French Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.