Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,458 members, 7,861,320 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 09:38 AM

Why You Cannot Eat Meat On Good Friday - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why You Cannot Eat Meat On Good Friday (1111 Views)

Akan Okon Charges Women On Good Parenting, Peace Keeping / [photos] Top 10 Most Funny Nigeria Jesus Crucification Photos Done On Good Frida / 1:47 Filipino Christians Nailed To The Cross In Biblical Re-enactment On Good Fr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Cannot Eat Meat On Good Friday by Fonereporters: 6:12am On Apr 14, 2017
The Bible does not require anyone to abstain from meat on any day. In fact, the only passages in the New Testament that talk about it are Acts 15:29 and 1 Timothy 4:3. The passage in Acts 15 says that the only parts of the Law of Moses required by the elders and apostles in the congregation in Jerusalem were prohibitions against idolatry, fornication, and eating blood and meats from strangled animals. It says nothing about abstaining on certain days.

Good Friday commemorates the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death at Calvary. Catholics abstain from eating flesh meat on the day. Reason? Because Christ sacrificed his flesh on Good Friday.

Abstinence
Abstinence is one of the oldest Catholic practices. Initially, catholics were abstained from eating flesh meat on Fridays to honour Christ who sacrificed his flesh for the people on Friday. According to the church law implemented in 1983, abstinence should be observed only on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday and Fridays of Lent. It is considered a minor tribute to Jesus Christ for the sacrifice he made for our sake on the cross. Though products are prohibited its by-products — milk, cheese, butter and eggs -are not. Flesh meat includes the chicken, turkey, beef and pork.

Fish is allowed
Though meat is prohibited, fish is allowed. There are several reasons associated with it that includes fish is considered a different kind of flesh as it is from the sea and many of Christ’s disciples were fishermen.

What if you eat meat?
It is believed that if eating meat was unintentional the guilt is lessened but you need to admit it in your next ‘confession’.

Sourced from http://www.focusngr.com/posts/why-you-cannot-eat-meat-on-good-friday/

Re: Why You Cannot Eat Meat On Good Friday by LordIsaac(m): 6:13am On Apr 14, 2017
Hmmmm....traditions of "cultists!"
Re: Why You Cannot Eat Meat On Good Friday by Fonereporters: 6:15am On Apr 14, 2017
Every society should have tradition na
LordIsaac:
Hmmmm....traditions of "cultists!"
Re: Why You Cannot Eat Meat On Good Friday by Nobody: 6:18am On Apr 14, 2017
undecided

Catholic and doctrine ehn....
Re: Why You Cannot Eat Meat On Good Friday by SuperSuave(m): 6:22am On Apr 14, 2017
Thought it was any animal that has blood. Everyone is just twisting the religion to suit themselves. First you can't eat flesh but you can eat fish because disciples were fishermen? That's funny. And you have to confess to eating flesh if you eat it, was it mentioned as a sin in the bible? undecided
Re: Why You Cannot Eat Meat On Good Friday by Nobody: 6:23am On Apr 14, 2017
Many will gnash their teeth in heaven when they realize that they hav suffered unneccessarily on earth. Is eating meat make them holy? Or to be special than others? We hav used the blood of Jesus as sacrificial lamb for our sin. I wonder, why some people take their pastor as God or demi- god and obey whatever what they say, the bible say that no one will teach others how to walk with God because they will know God through their heart
Re: Why You Cannot Eat Meat On Good Friday by adorablepepple(f): 6:32am On Apr 14, 2017
Me I eat chicken,meat on good Friday because Jesus has beared it all, all I have to do is rejoice and be glad in him.

My sins are taken away....... my redeemer lives
Re: Why You Cannot Eat Meat On Good Friday by Ngasky(m): 7:01am On Apr 14, 2017
V
Re: Why You Cannot Eat Meat On Good Friday by ikbnice(m): 7:09am On Apr 14, 2017
Many are just too confused in what they believe in that they can't even reason at all.

(1) (Reply)

Today Is World Environment Day: Lets Talk Nature! / Why Are Nigerians Always Angry With The Question 'please May I Know You?' / South African Anti-Apartheid Campaigner Winnie Mandela Dies At 81

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.