Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,080 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Cleric Lambasts Political Elite At Ooni's 80th Birthday - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Cleric Lambasts Political Elite At Ooni's 80th Birthday (1818 Views)

10 Nairalanders Behaviour In Political Discourse / UK Envoy Lambasts TB Joshua Over Airasia Crash Prophesy / Happy 80th Birthday To Chief Emeka Anyaoku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Cleric Lambasts Political Elite At Ooni's 80th Birthday by Hatitude: 12:11am On Jan 04, 2010
The officiating minister at the ceremony, Most Rev Jasper Okunola of the Methodist Church of Nigeria, who was visibly angry because many of the political officer holders that were invited to the birthday had arrived almost three hours behind schedule, said it is very painful that Nigerian politicians cherish indiscipline as a way of life.

He said: "Why do you all, Nigerian leaders, relish arriving late to events and slowing things down." "This event was billed to start for 10.00am, and hundreds of people, including the Ooni of Ife himself, had been long prepared and waiting. But most of you are just strolling in around 1.00pm and you even show no sign of remorse; rather, you came in with all the political glamour.

"But no," he hollered as he banged the stand, "Nigeria can’t remain this way. Things must change. You all have drawn this country back for too long, and things must not truly continue this way. And if anyone is deceiving you that you have done or you did well, you check and tell yourself the truth is you have done well or not," he counseled.

As he spoke, many of the politicians which included serving and past governors, government functionaries, local and foreign Ambassadors, businessmen and many kings and chiefs from various countries and sectors, looked dazed. The Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade too, sat solemnly as he watched the man exhort the gathering.

"You all stand here praising God and shouting halleluiah; but praising God is beyond merely shouting halleluiah. It has to do with the wholeness of your being. God requires your sincerity. If politicians are honest about anything, why are they arriving here three hours behind time? Why do they delay things? Attitudes like this do not help things to move forward," the cleric stressed.

"Anyone that goes about his sins cannot just raise hands to praise God because God does not condone sins. I therefore urge you all to repent and be truthful with your service to Nigeria. I call on all great and small Nigerians to repent of your sins against Nigeria and humanity.

"All the money that Nigeria needs to fund her many projects to move the country forward have been provided by God; but all the sectors of the Nigerian state remained backward and nothing is moving. You have all subjected Nigerians to buying ‘Tokunbo’ clothes, cars and other stuffs whereas you politicians loot the treasury and share the wealth of the nation without remorse, without conscience and eventually; if you don’t repent, you will die shamelessly. You are the architects of your future and that of your children and the unfortunate thing is that, many Nigerians are suffering along.

He added: "As I conclude, let me tell each of you what you need to do; start from now to ask yourselves, ‘What next?’ The question to ask is what next because it is with that consciousness that you can now begin to think towards lifting this country out of the valley that you have thrown Nigeria into.

"And to the celebrant, the Ooni of Ife, you also should focus on asking what next because God had really blessed you so well and you lack nothing. So, for you Kabiyesi, your what next should be to move closer to your God."

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/31074/1/You-failed-woefully-cleric-tells-politicians-at-Oonis-birthday/Page1.html
Re: Cleric Lambasts Political Elite At Ooni's 80th Birthday by harakiri(m): 4:30am On Jan 04, 2010
What is the name of the cleric?I don't mind travelling from Lagos to another state to attend his services.This is a rare case of true gospel in Nigeria.How many of our numerous "revival" or "rhapsody" pastors can talk the truth to power?How many can even say anything wrong about the govt?
Re: Cleric Lambasts Political Elite At Ooni's 80th Birthday by Hatitude: 8:38am On Jan 04, 2010
Most Rev Jasper Okunola is his name but don't know his church as I would also like to personally see him and duff my hat to him. He stood to be counted, what rare display of courage that I'm sure can only be from God!

(1) (Reply)

3.4 And 2.4m Vsat Dish For Sale. / HILARIOUS PHOTO:jamaican Parliament / Ever Wonder How Some Things Got To Where They Are.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.