Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,488 members, 7,958,480 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:20 PM

How Nigerian And Ghanaian Romance Scammers Sent An American To His Grave - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Nigerian And Ghanaian Romance Scammers Sent An American To His Grave (781 Views)

Sampson Nwokocha "Grave" Armed Robber Killed In Abia (Graphic Photos) / Two Nigerian Romance Scammers Arrested In Bangkok, Thailand (Photos) / Man Tries To Kill An American In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nigerian And Ghanaian Romance Scammers Sent An American To His Grave by 9janews247: 3:28pm On Apr 21, 2017
Dr Deven Black, an American Librarian took the bait of several Nigerian Romance Scammers that ultimately led to his death in a homeless shelter
The path that took Deven Black to his gritty death in a rundown homeless shelter was as baffling as it was tragic.

This was a suburban dad, a nationally recognized school librarian. In just three years, he had become destitute. He had derailed his career with an inappropriate encounter with a female student, had blown up his marriage by giving thousands of dollars to paramours online and had gotten involved in a bank fraud scheme for their sake.

Doctors diagnosed depression. Relatives and friends tried to help, confronting and struggling to get through to him, mystified by his behavior and questioning whether depression fully explained it.
it all happened as he took the scammers bait
One day, his wife noticed a peculiar slip of paper on the living-room floor: a receipt for $300 Black had sent to someone in Africa. He explained it was for surgery for a co-worker’s relative.

About a month later, his wife found dozens more receipts, showing he’d dispatched about $10,000, mostly to Ghana and Nigeria. She worried it was blackmail. He said it was an investment.

She warned him he was being scammed. Friends urged him to cut off his online contacts. But he plunged deeper into a web of virtual romances, telling friends he’d be bringing as many as a half-dozen dates to social gatherings. It was “clearly delusional, but he believed it,” says his oldest friend, Martin Mosbacher.

Black was so broke by the fall of 2014 that his wife paid his first month’s rent and security deposit when he moved out.

He wasn’t just giving money away. At the behest of an online “girlfriend” he said invited him to start a cocoa business, Black deposited a series of fraudulent checks, withdrew more than $146,000 in cash and gave most of it to her, court papers say.
Its a long story
http://9janews247.com/2017/04/21/how-nigeria-romance-scammers-sent-an-american-to-his-grave/

Re: How Nigerian And Ghanaian Romance Scammers Sent An American To His Grave by ExpiredNigeria: 3:44pm On Apr 21, 2017
Now his scammers will be happy, they have killed him, even though no name of a culprit was mention we know either Afonjas and or an Igbo brother milked this man to death..
Re: How Nigerian And Ghanaian Romance Scammers Sent An American To His Grave by wizod(m): 3:48pm On Apr 21, 2017
ExpiredNigeria:
Sht happens
yahoo big boys in action. May God help us in dis evil world. Scammers everywhere
Re: How Nigerian And Ghanaian Romance Scammers Sent An American To His Grave by ExpiredNigeria: 3:56pm On Apr 21, 2017
wizod:

yahoo big boys in action.
May God help us in dis evil world.
Scammers everywhere

Guy you didn't quote the article na me U de quote de talk "yahoo big boys in action." lol.. a beg that looks you're calling me a yahoo boy, please quote the article not me ok

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian And Ghanaian Romance Scammers Sent An American To His Grave by Ehinmola(m): 4:21pm On Apr 21, 2017
What a sad end. He was milked to death. Whoever did this to him will have only a short time to live. RIP to the dead man
Re: How Nigerian And Ghanaian Romance Scammers Sent An American To His Grave by wizod(m): 6:15pm On Apr 21, 2017
ExpiredNigeria:

Guy you didn't quote the article na me U de quote de talk "yahoo big boys in action." lol.. a beg that looks you're calling me a yahoo boy, please quote the article not me ok
[s]
ExpiredNigeria:

[/s]
ExpiredNigeria:

am sorry, never intended 2 quote ok
Re: How Nigerian And Ghanaian Romance Scammers Sent An American To His Grave by wizod(m): 6:16pm On Apr 21, 2017
Guy you didn't quote the article na me U de quote de talk "yahoo big boys in action." lol.. a beg that looks you're calling me a yahoo boy, please quote the article not me ok[/quote][/s]
ExpiredNigeria:

Re: How Nigerian And Ghanaian Romance Scammers Sent An American To His Grave by wizod(m): 6:17pm On Apr 21, 2017
Guy you didn't quote the article na me U de quote de talk "yahoo big boys in action." lol.. a beg that looks you're calling me a yahoo boy, please quote the article not me ok[/quote]

Re: How Nigerian And Ghanaian Romance Scammers Sent An American To His Grave by wizod(m): 6:18pm On Apr 21, 2017
ExpiredNigeria:

am very sorry, it was a mistake n never meant 2 quote u ok
Re: How Nigerian And Ghanaian Romance Scammers Sent An American To His Grave by Afobear: 7:05pm On Apr 21, 2017
this man was strawed to.death ...g+ in action
where my g guys dey sef ?

no ballinz today ?

(1) (Reply)

Fresh Graduate Shot Dead By Suspected Cultist In Imo State / He Was Caught Pickpocketing And He Did This Next ... (viral Video) / Two Persons Lynched And Burnt To Death At New Ritualist’s Den In Ikeja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.