Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

Advice Needed On Developing A Piece Of Land - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Advice Needed On Developing A Piece Of Land (343 Views)

Developing A Four Bedroom Duplex In The Outskirts Of Owerri / Tips On Developing A Plot Of Land / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Advice Needed On Developing A Piece Of Land by Ema2nty: 1:35pm On Apr 22, 2017
Hello guys,

I acquired a piece of land last year at Sapele road in Benin. It's already about 5months now since I bought the property; a land measuring 100 by 125 ft ( i.e 100x125). I acquired this land through the help of my in-law and I have all the land documents including the survey plan and deed of the agreement except for the C of O which the original owner had not done as at the time I bought. But I have a copy of all the deeds of transfers that have been made of the land up to myself.

Now, the problem is I want to start something on the land to prevent intruders. Although my in-law has assured me that there are no longer land grabbers (Omoniles) in Benin which has been abolished by the state government and the Oba of Benin, but I fear that people might till want to encroach on the land as lots of development is going on around the property. Most of the neighbouring properties are being developed every day.

I currently don't have enough funds to develop the land right now as the money I used in buying the land (1.8million naira) was almost all the money I saved from my MSc scholarship funds. I am currently not in Nigeria as I am yet to return back. I decided that I would make a fence around the land as that would shield off intruders to a large extent. My in-law happens to be a building contractor and has guys working for him. I have asked him to send me a quotation for what it will cost to make a 4-foot fence around the 100x125 piece of land and here are his quotes:

1. Moulding blocks

a) 50 bags of cement @ 2800 naira each = 140,000 naira

b) 5 trips of sand @ 23000 naira each = 115,000 naira

c) labour - 700 naira per bag = 35000 naira

2. Setting of Blocks (Fencing)

a) I trip of sand = 23,000 naira
b) granite dust - single trip @ 40,000 naira
c) 35 bags of cement = 98,000
d)Labour : digging and casting = 25,000 naira; clearing = 6,000 naira; bricklayers = 100,000 naira

From the above quotation, it follows that it will cost me 580,000 naira to erect the 4-foot fence. Also, the fence is not going to be a complete square cover as on side has already be done by an owner of the neighbouring land. So what we are looking at is a U-shape fence.

So my worry right now is if it is a good idea to invest such huge amount on a fence, given that I don't really have that a lot funds to start the proper development now. On a second thought, should I just save up more money and add to the 0.58million naira and then do a good foundation of my building rather than erect the fence.

Please, I need the advice of experienced builders on the quotation and advice of mature people who have embarked on a building project before. Thanks
Re: Advice Needed On Developing A Piece Of Land by ceasare: 2:06pm On Apr 22, 2017
The quote is fair.do d fence ones u hv enough money u can build to ur taste .ur 580k wont do foundation 4 a 3bedroom bungalow.

My humble submission

(1) (Reply)

Already Cleared Land – Tehilla Gardens Owerri. Buy And Build. / I Need A Land. / High Quality Furniture Emporium

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.