Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,714 members, 7,824,022 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand (20540 Views)

Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! / 4 Things Anyone Can Do Every Saturday To Earn $200 / Annoying Things That Happen Every Time You Have To Enter A Bank(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Opinionated: 10:11am On Apr 23, 2017
Banking in Nigeria has greatly advanced. In the past, you will find long queues but today the opposite is the case. Many of them have embraced technology and have simplified the banking process. Regardless, there are still some annoying things that these banks do that are very frustrating. In line with this, Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency shares some of these things.

Asking you to bring utility bill to open an account

Whenever you visit a bank in Nigeria to open an account, you are asked to bring a utility bill to confirm your address. Sometimes you begin to wonder, what you really need a utility bill for when you have BVN. BVN has every information about an individual including the fingerprints. You cannot change your fingerprint but you can change your address.

They deduct your money due to unnecessary charges

You know one of the annoying alerts you get every month are the charges from your bank. The way some banks remove your money will tempt you to go to the bank to withdraw all of it and transfer it to another one.

They cannot process your complaint because your names are different

If you use two names in one document and use three names in another document, some banks will never accept or process the document from you. They will tell you the process may get stuck because of the name difference.

You have to wait for days when the ATM refuses to dispense money and you have been debited

A faithful morning, you use the ATM of another bank to withdraw but the ATM refuse to dispense and your account is debited. Just be prepared for a long battle with your bank because you will not get your money back in 24 hours. First, you have to complain to your bank for them to reverse and depending on the bank, it can take weeks or months. If you don’t have money, you are on your own for that day. The question is why can’t they reverse it immediately?

And you need money urgently and they tell you ‘no network’

You don’t have money and you have tried several ATMs and they are not dispensing cash. You have no choice than to withdraw money at your bank. You walk into your bank and they tell you that there is no network, you will just get frustrated. The annoying thing is that if there is no network at that branch, it will be same at other branches. And without the network, they cannot do anything! Just start praying that the network comes back!

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/5-annoying-things-nigerian-ban/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Opinionated: 10:12am On Apr 23, 2017
Lalasticlala talk true, you have had one or more of such experiences. Seun told a story once. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Henrypraise41(m): 10:33am On Apr 23, 2017
it's not a lie, especially the deduction of money every month, may GOd help us
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Crauxx(m): 11:12am On Apr 23, 2017
Server is down
That is the statement that annoys me the most

8 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Coolcash1: 11:13am On Apr 23, 2017
The management and board of Nigeria”s foremost bank, First Bank, have a lot of explanation to do to the Nigerian and global audience particularly their customers over alleged underground financial recklessness going on in the bank in which top management and board members have been fingered as masterminds.

The full details of the dealings contained in a petition by a human rights group obtained by thegazellenews.com revealed that about N50 billion was involved in the spurious loan deals which revolves around the top management and board members of the bank.
The petition, by the Social and Economic Rights Derivatives Centre, thegazellenews.com can revealed, has been forwarded to various agencies, institutions and top government officials in the banking sector for action and investigation.

The petition signed by the Executive Director of the group, Comrade John Eyinayya and dated April 12, 2017, has been forwarded to the following:
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)
The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
The President of the Senate,.Senator Bukola Saraki
The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Yakubu Dogara
The Chairman of the Senate Committee on Banking, Insurance and other Financial Institutions, Senator Rafiu Adebayo Ibraheem
The Chairman of the Presidential Committee on Corruption, Professor Itse Sagay.

A copy of the petition currently in possession of thegazellenews.com, the Social and Economic Rights Derivatives Centre is asking the aforementioned bodies to investigate the Chairman of the FBN Holdings Plc, Mr Ayoola Oba Otudeko; former Group Managing Director of the bank, Dr Bisi Onasanya; and former Chairman of First Bank, Prince Ajibola Afonja over alleged “financial recklesness and dangerous insider deals”.
In the petition, the human rights group wants the Group Chairman of the FBN Holdings Plc, Mr Ayoola Oba Otudeko investigated alongside with the management of First Bank for allegedly collecting N29 billion from the bank through FBN Trustees and having the said loan curiously and dubiously written off without the knowledge and consent of the bank’s shareholders.
Thegazellenews.com also gathered through the petition that Otudeko also took a N9 billion Sun Trust credit line from First Bank without following due process.

It was also alleged that an unspecified huge billions of naira was allegedly siphoned from the bank through a company named Sinod Petroleum while the sums of N4.82 billion and N4.7 billion were suspiciously and dubiously released to Broadwaters Resources Limited and Nujutek Nigeria Limited respectively without due process. In her internal audit report, the Client Audit Executive of the bank, Uduak N. Udoh, submitted thus:
“The term loan of N4.7 billion approved in August 2015 but disbursed to Nujutek Nigeria Limited in October 2105 purportedly to commence Terminal Shipping Operations and Logistics was packaged and approved without proper credit analysis and due process.
“The facility was purposefully arranged to pay down the facility of N4.82 billion, packaged in the name of Broadwaters Resources Limited in February 2015.

The approval process and grid for this earlier loan was also intentionally circumvented by top management staff of the bank”.
Apart from Otudeko, other top former and current staff fingered in the huge loan scam are:
Bisi Onasanya, former GMD/CEO with staff number 013946
Abiodun Odubola, former Executive Director of the bank with staff number 023687
Cecilia Majekodunmi, ex-General Manager with staff number 007240
Omolade O Olawore, former Deputy General Manager and ex-Head, Credit Risk Management Department with staff number 019379
Olayemi O Agboola, Deputy Manager, Credit Analysis and Processing Department with staff number 019368
Nwanguma Olufunmilayo, Assistant General Manager and former Group Head, CBMG, Lagos Island with staff number 026562
Nduka U Dike, Manager who is the Business Manager of CBMG, Marina Lagos with staff number 025515 and
Idode Stephen Ikhazuagbe, Relationship Manager, CBMG, Marina Lagos with staff number 026536.

The petitioners viewed the underground financial dealings going on in First Bank as a big threat to the development and growth of the nation’s economy hence the need d it to be properly investigated with perpetrators made to face the wrath of the law.

https://breaking.com.ng/nigeria/exclusive-n48b-loan-fraud-rocks-first-bank-how-otudekos-n29b-loan-was-written-off-without-due-process-other-details/

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by twind111(f): 11:14am On Apr 23, 2017
Suffering and smiling.....
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Nobody: 11:14am On Apr 23, 2017
grin
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Nobody: 11:14am On Apr 23, 2017
Like if you think Ecobank and GTB bank are most guilty of all these accusations.
Share for other banks.
My Keystone bank is the best for me.
No yeye charges

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Dottore: 11:16am On Apr 23, 2017
*yawns*
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Celcius: 11:17am On Apr 23, 2017
The utility bill is the most useless part of it.
I pray we get there, when with a NIN (National Identity Number) we can open an account.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Okaakoko(m): 11:17am On Apr 23, 2017
Funny. It took access bank four good months to correct their mistake on my bvn
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by neonly: 11:19am On Apr 23, 2017
ACCESS BANK all d way

4 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by saheedbadmus(m): 11:20am On Apr 23, 2017
Op u r Damm ryt..
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by soberdrunk(m): 11:21am On Apr 23, 2017
angry
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by smartty68(m): 11:23am On Apr 23, 2017
A bottle of shekpe for OP! But don't get drunk...

Sincerely I hate banks but do I have a choice

The answer is "NO". Just have to put up with their unnecessary demands and charges...

Like recently, dom account I opened since on the 3rd of this month isn't ready until now... Imagine

Nice one OP
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by dominique(f): 11:29am On Apr 23, 2017
I'm currently battling no.4 with GTB. It's over 3 weeks now and they're still yet to reverse the failed ATM transaction. Very frustrating to say the least

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Noble855: 11:30am On Apr 23, 2017
Opinionated:
Banking in Nigeria has greatly advanced. In the past, you will find long queues but today the opposite is the case. Many of them have embraced technology and have simplified the banking process. Regardless, there are still some annoying things that these banks do that are very frustrating. In line with this, Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency shares some of these things.

Asking you to bring utility bill to open an account

Whenever you visit a bank in Nigeria to open an account, you are asked to bring a utility bill to confirm your address. Sometimes you begin to wonder, what you really need a utility bill for when you have BVN. BVN has every information about an individual including the fingerprints. You cannot change your fingerprint but you can change your address.

They deduct your money due to unnecessary charges

You know one of the annoying alerts you get every month are the charges from your bank. The way some banks remove your money will tempt you to go to the bank to withdraw all of it and transfer it to another one.

They cannot process your complaint because your names are different

If you use two names in one document and use three names in another document, some banks will never accept or process the document from you. They will tell you the process may get stuck because of the name difference.

You have to wait for days when the ATM refuses to dispense money and you have been debited

A faithful morning, you use the ATM of another bank to withdraw but the ATM refuse to dispense and your account is debited. Just be prepared for a long battle with your bank because you will not get your money back in 24 hours. First, you have to complain to your bank for them to reverse and depending on the bank, it can take weeks or months. If you don’t have money, you are on your own for that day. The question is why can’t they reverse it immediately?

And you need money urgently and they tell you ‘no network’

You don’t have money and you have tried several ATMs and they are not dispensing cash. You have no choice than to withdraw money at your bank. You walk into your bank and they tell you that there is no network, you will just get frustrated. The annoying thing is that if there is no network at that branch, it will be same at other branches. And without the network, they cannot do anything! Just start praying that the network comes back!

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/5-annoying-things-nigerian-ban/

....Good one
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Ginaz(f): 11:31am On Apr 23, 2017
Who do banks when I have my wooden box? Very reliable and stress free, all I need to do to collect my money is to find a very good hammer.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Ginaz(f): 11:33am On Apr 23, 2017
Okaakoko:
Funny. It took access bank four good months to correct their mistake on my bvn

Lol, but to collect their monthly money from it will take them only a second. grin
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Babamide(m): 11:34am On Apr 23, 2017
alexistaiwo:
Like if you think Ecobank and GTB bank are most guilty of all these accusations.
Share for other banks.
My Keystone bank is the best for me.
No yeye charges
Have u heard of fidelity Bank? They deduct money without any reason or alert.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by eluquenson(m): 11:36am On Apr 23, 2017
Hmm

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Proudlyngwa(m): 11:39am On Apr 23, 2017
Just here to say GT bank is a fraud.
Seriously we don't have a financial institution in this country.
We are so outdated in every aspect of our lives, I begin to believe something is either wrong with the Nigerian air or water.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Okaakoko(m): 11:45am On Apr 23, 2017
Ginaz:

Lol, but to collect their monthly money from it will take them only a second. grin
I tell you.
They interchanged my first and middle name. To correct that alone, it took them from late November 2016 to second week of April.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by cutedharmee: 11:54am On Apr 23, 2017
All dis banks and dre wahala eehn. Dat was aw first bank deducted ma cash fr no reason, went to complain and it took dem like forever to reverse it. Mscheew! D branch manager had to pay me up frm his purse sha o.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by pedrilo: 11:55am On Apr 23, 2017
long ATM queue is anoda issue
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by Pabloosas(m): 11:57am On Apr 23, 2017
"No power supply and our generator is faulty... the engineers are on their way from PHC. Hope the person you're sending the money to isn't expecting urgently cos we might not be able to post it until power is restored shocked"
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by NLProblemChild(m): 12:00pm On Apr 23, 2017
ok

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by ewizard1: 12:03pm On Apr 23, 2017
Na Network Customer care own dey vex me pass!!!

They know they couldn't get it done and you'll hear...

"We apologize for the inconveniences, can you hold on while I run a check on your line? (Na lie ooo, dem no run anything ooo) They play that jingles of theirs and come back, "Sorry, the server is down now and I couldn't run the check, kindly call us back"
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by SageTravels: 12:09pm On Apr 23, 2017
Noted
Re: 5 Annoying Things Anyone That Uses A Nigerian Bank Can Understand by IdeeEsperanza(m): 12:22pm On Apr 23, 2017
Opinionated:

OP, there are still long queues. E be like say you never see First Bank and UBA ATM queue before.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Naira Appreciates At The Interbank Market / Four Risky Places To Use Your Debit Card Abroad / Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.