Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:20 AM

Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply - Jokes Etc (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply (36064 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Say Thank God And Amen To This..... / See Reply A White Man Got Celebrating His Nigeria Visa On Twitter / If Your Wife Isnt Pregnant Within 3 Months Of Wedding, Dump Her. See Reply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by GloryGloryRufus(m): 8:48pm On Apr 24, 2017
Sorry is another word for Excuse me. Politeness. Ask Britain before you guys continue saying nonsense.
you are not right, sorry is not another word for excuse me, the best thing to say is "PLEASE". This topic has been on my mind to create. I hate it when someone tells me sorry instead of please. Let us avoid wrong use of words.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by kristian98(m): 8:49pm On Apr 24, 2017
Sorry is another word for Excuse me. Politeness. Ask Britain before you guys continue saying nonsense.
Is this guy a mod or what How come there is no link to click on your profile? Even seun's profile can be clicked on

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by ellizy(m): 8:59pm On Apr 24, 2017
To cool temper
#burna-boy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by Ebije1(m): 9:02pm On Apr 24, 2017
In a bank me: sorry, are d last person on d line? Person: som1 is behind me. Me: ok *d person returns* person: sorry, i'm behind him cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by vivie01(f): 9:11pm On Apr 24, 2017
oglalasioux:
It's the standard way of speaking English.

A British man will start most sentences of seeking favour with sorry please.

Official way of asking a superior to do something in a memo is 'please kindly'

If it's a subordinate it starts with 'please'

In informal settings it's 'sorry please'

We picked that way of speaking from our colonial masters.

Use of 'please kindly' is wrong. It's either you say : please check and respond asap OR kindly check and respond asap. Please means same thing as kindly in a formal setting you referred to; i.e. polite way of making a request.

Same goes for sorry and please. Both are not used together and beside each other in a sentence, you just pick one.

To say sorry before a sentence is not right formally but its rather informal.

To me anyway, its not totally wrong, its a way of first apologising for distracting the person's attention from whatever he's doing/thinking before saying whatever you want to say or to first call the person's attention b4 talking or, yet still, as some said, to avert vexation smiley .
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by oglalasioux(m): 9:18pm On Apr 24, 2017
vivie01:

Use of 'please kindly' is wrong. It's either you say : please check and respond asap OR kindly check and respond asap. Please means same thing as kindly in a formal setting you referred to; i.e. polite way of making a request.

Same goes for sorry and please. both are not used together and beside each other in a sentence, you just pick one.

To say sorry before a sentence is not right formally but its rather informal.

To me anyway, its not totally wrong, its a way of first apologising for distracting the person's attention from whatever he's doing/thinking before saying whatever you want to say or to first call the person's attention b4 talking or, yet still, as some said, to avert vexation smiley .

You've not worked for the government. I doubt if you've ever seen correspondence from a junior officer to a superior. And you later spoke from the other side at the bolded.

You've got absolutely no reason to talk down my mention.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by vivie01(f): 9:29pm On Apr 24, 2017
oglalasioux:

You've not worked for the government. I doubt if you've ever seen correspondence from a junior officer to a superior. And you later spoke from the other side at the bolded.

You've got absolutely no reason to talk down my mention.

Please dont be offended. My post is not intended to talk your post down but the fact that its been used that way does not make it right. I quoted your post because you mentioned British English and please know that people learn one way or the other in discussions like this and its not right to mislead if there's no justifiable fact to back assertions up

Also, like I said in the bolded, I meant its not totally wrong to say 'sorry' when addressing a person because its informal and culture oriented.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by JOMAX: 10:26pm On Apr 24, 2017

SOMEONE IS JUST EXPRESSING THEIR OBSERVATION. I DOUBT IF THAT GENERIC SLAMMING IS NECESSARY. TAKE IT EASY
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by Abayor7: 10:35pm On Apr 24, 2017
Edenoscar:
The sorry is for disturbing you

Simple!!
Million likes
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by Nobody: 11:13pm On Apr 24, 2017
the op didnt bring the whole tweets to nairaland
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by Frankies(m): 12:12am On Apr 25, 2017
It is simple now.

The sorry there is like saying

"Sorry for the inconvenience of bothering you , please what is the time.

Simple courtesy.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by Missnande(f): 12:15am On Apr 25, 2017
Lucario007:
Sorry, but, do you know what you are saying? Sorry is not a word indicated for politeness. sorry ˈ/sɒri/ adjective 1. feeling sad or distressed through sympathy with someone else's misfortune. 2. feeling regret or penitence.
Sorry has more meanings than those two.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by timojerry: 3:42am On Apr 25, 2017
TheLogicalMind:
Ordinarily in other English speaking countries, polite language takes the form of expressions like: "I beg your pardon" (which actually means the same thing as sorry) or "excuse me". Nigerians aren't far off the mark cool

Are you saying it is also right to say I beg your pardon, is this the line. Pls don't laugh
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by alexpetersng: 8:37am On Apr 25, 2017
Lol... so true, I do it all the time and I don't even know how to stop
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by Inlakssolar: 11:09am On Apr 27, 2017
Sorry oluboom why are you asking please? grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by djkellyu(m): 5:48pm On Apr 27, 2017
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by kcbdd: 2:22pm On Apr 29, 2017
see details below and smile to your bank account... we hit them where it hurts...

Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by lilliesboy(m): 11:20pm On Jul 07, 2017
"Sorry," "please," "seriously" etc, are just meaningless and boring cliche that reveal a sense of immaturity/inferiority on the part of the Nigerian that often ask questions in that manner.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Say 'Sorry' Before Asking Questions? See Reply by lilliesboy(m): 11:38pm On Jul 07, 2017
Bollinger:
We are very apologetic as a Nation. It is an inferiority complex. It affects me till today even though i moved societies for years now.
"Sorry," "please," "seriously" etc, are just meaningless and boring cliche that reveal a sense of immaturity/inferiority on the part of the Nigerian that often ask questions in that manner.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

When You Ask A "Local" Man If He Has A Bluetooth (pics) / Stupid Funny Crazy Pics [caution: Mild Offensive Language] / From Lola To Studere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.