Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

After My Mom Died, Drinking Made Me Feel Closer To Her - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / After My Mom Died, Drinking Made Me Feel Closer To Her (558 Views)

How My Mom Ruined My Life / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually / I'm Not Happy With My Mom's Behaviour Towards My Adopted Sister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

After My Mom Died, Drinking Made Me Feel Closer To Her by abelabel: 8:06pm On Apr 24, 2017
Did my mom feel alone, as if she were blamed for what happened to her? Like nobody could understand what she was dealing with?

Legend has it that on an early date, my mom was drinking Southern Comfort whiskey from the bottle. My dad made a passing joke that she wasn’t classy, and — being the stubborn person she was — my mom said she was getting out of his car.

“Fine, I’ll leave you here!” my dad said.

My mom got out onto the sidewalk, and my dad — being the stubborn person he is — drove away.

When my mom died, I made a list of things that made me similar to her: My favorite color was purple, I liked to write, I loved reading, I adored cats, I didn’t wear makeup, my favorite soda was Pepsi, I lived in oversized sweaters. I was 11, so I didn’t add “I love to drink” to the list, but it crosses my mind now whenever I’m at a bar with friends, and I decide to order a cocktail.

If I re-wrote the list now, would I put “loves to drink” as one of the things my mom and I have in common? Did I inherit my love of drinking from her the way I inherited my physical disability, which causes poor balance, difficulty walking, and an inability to tolerate the cold? Is it as much a part of where I come from as my love of cats, or my affinity for pizza?

Full detail: https://www.trendiee.com/confessions/mom-died-drinking-made-feel-closer/

(1) (Reply)

5 Neglected Reasons Why Marriages Fail / Tips On How To Know If Your Guy Really Loves You / Is It Okay To Buy A Car While Still In Your Parents House?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.