Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,592 members, 7,827,230 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) (5535 Views)

Peak Milk Celebrates World Milk Day, Visits Isolation Centers / Health Minister, Adewole Bans Chloroquine For Malaria Treatment / "Consumption Of Suya, Isi-Ewu, Kilisi, Ngwongwo Killing Nigerians" - Adewole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by olokeded: 3:25pm On Apr 25, 2017
I am delighted to be present at this occasion in commemoration of the 2017 World Malaria Day. As you are all aware, the World Malaria Day celebration originated from a decision by the African heads of government in 2000, to set aside a day to draw attention and solicit support for the fight against malaria. Since then, 25th of April of every year has been earmarked as the World Malaria Day celebration.

Seventeen years later, the question that arises in the mind of everyone is “have we made any progress in Nigeria? I can say without doubt in my mind that we have recorded some modest achievement. For example, ownership of insecticide treated net (ITN) has increased from 8% in 2008 (NDHS) to 69% in 2015 (NMIS). ITN use by children under 5 years has increased from 6% in 2008 (NDHS) to 44% in 2015 (NMIS). Similarly, ITN use by pregnant women has also increased from 4.8% in 2008 (NDHS) to 49% in 2015 (NMIS).

Let me also add that there has been an increase in Intermittent Preventive Treatment (IPT) coverage. IPT2 coverage has increased from 5% in 2008 (NDHS) to 37% in 2015 (NMIS) while IPT3 coverage increased from 2% in 2008 (NDHS) to 19% in 2015 (NMIS). Use of parasitological tests to diagnose malaria have also increased over time in the country. The percentage of children under 5 who had blood taken from finger or heel for malaria diagnosis has increased from 5% in 2010 (NMIS) to 13% in 2015 (NMIS). Progress has also been achieved in the increase use of ACTs for the treatment of malaria from 12% in 2010 (NMIS) to 38% in 2015 (NMIS). Lastly, there has been a reduction in malaria prevalence from 42% in 2010 (NMIS) to 27% in 2015 (NMIS 2015).

These achievements would not have been possible without the support and contributions of our malaria partners particularly the USAID/ Presidential Malaria Initiative (PMI).

USAID/PMI has supported long lasting insecticidal nets (LLINs) distribution through mass campaigns and routine distribution, pilot implementation of Indoor residual spraying (IRS) and provision of antimalarial commodities – RDTs, ACTs, SPs. They have also provided support for the implementation of malaria in pregnancy (MIP), seasonal malaria chemoprevention (SMC), Advocacy, Communication and Social Mobilization (ACSM), diagnosis, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) as well as capacity building both at the national and states levels.

A look at the indices listed earlier shows that we are still far from our dream of malaria free Nigeria. Our current Malaria Strategic Plan which is meant to lead us to pre-elimination, has been praised for being focused and articulate, but it is coming at a time when the resources for malaria control are dwindling. In addition, there are limited resources for effective programme coordination, monitoring and evaluation. Let me use this opportunity to thank USAID/PMI for their invaluable support since 2011. I am aware that USAID/PMI is covering 11 States and the National Malaria Programme with a substantial investment of about $490 million.

May I use this occasion to solicit for more support to enable us achieve a pre-elimination phase in 2020. Let me assure you that the Federal Ministry of Health under my leadership will account for “every penny” donated to this course. The Federal Government has also allocated more resources to Malaria control programme in the 2017 appropriation.

Finally, I congratulate the United States Embassy in Nigeria for putting together this very unique celebration. Most importantly, as we commemorate, I urge us all to, at the center of our discussions, meetings and commemorations, remember Nigerians whose lives are affected and could be lost by Malaria. I urge us all to use the event of today as a fuel for our future actions.

Thank you and God bless you all

http://www.metronaija.com/2017/04/photos-health-minister-adewole.html

Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by olokeded: 3:26pm On Apr 25, 2017

Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by celestialAgent(m): 5:18pm On Apr 25, 2017
Who still get hit by malaria nowadays when boys don dey catch mosquito to do peppersoup

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by DollarAngel(m): 5:18pm On Apr 25, 2017
Vbhjj
Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by okonja(m): 5:20pm On Apr 25, 2017
Oka
Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by Nobody: 5:20pm On Apr 25, 2017
More good news, there may be a malaria vaccine coming soon....internationally speaking

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39666132
Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by Lexusgs430: 5:22pm On Apr 25, 2017
When would he work on all public hospitals ? Enough of all this nonsense conferences ...

2 Likes

Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by Teewhy2: 5:22pm On Apr 25, 2017
This mosquito's no dey even fear recession. na for inside this recession they are still causing malaria.

Are you building on a swampy area, want to do pile foundation /Need Roof parapet.
Reduce the building load by making use of polystyrene material for your roof parapet and slab.
Click below to get more information

https://www.nairaland.com/3726763/alternative-building-material-expanded-polystyrene

Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by Nobody: 5:22pm On Apr 25, 2017
I've got a payoneer card with U.S bank account for sale. interested persons should pm or quuote me.
Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by Nobody: 5:24pm On Apr 25, 2017
If the celebration did not include this kids, then nah useless celebration be that.

Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by kizygist: 5:24pm On Apr 25, 2017
Only if Malaria can be eradicated by killing the vector mosquito, the world will be a better place
Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by sekundosekundo: 5:25pm On Apr 25, 2017
Health minister that don't know the sickness his president is suffering from, that one na health minister?.
Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by Iamdmentor1(m): 5:37pm On Apr 25, 2017
Check my signature
Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by dokiOloye(m): 5:49pm On Apr 25, 2017
Nothing concerning malaria should be celebrated.
It is still d greatest killer in sub saharan Africa.
Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by malakus(m): 6:01pm On Apr 25, 2017
dokiOloye:
Admittedly, more needs to be done.
Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by 3moses: 6:54pm On Apr 25, 2017
sekundosekundo:
Health minister that don't know the sickness his president is suffering from, that one na health minister?.

when he (health minister) is not given access to any information about the health of the president? what should he do?...
zoo country

1 Like

Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by Nobody: 8:44pm On Apr 25, 2017
dokiOloye:
Thank you,recent studies shows that 92% died as a result of malaria in sub saharan Africa and 25% of the 92% is from Nigeria,so what are they celebrating
Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by Nempi(m): 8:45pm On Apr 25, 2017
The most useless health minister in the most useless cabinet of the most useless President in the history of the contraption called Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by admox2003(m): 9:09pm On Apr 25, 2017
Malaria: North Manchester Hospital & Me
(An Open Letter Of Appeal)

Dear Honourable Minister of Health,

Introductions

I hope you are well. My name is Dayo Oluwole (@kasherltd), and I am one of your many followers on Twitter. You are (arguably) the most Twitter savvy Minister of Health that Nigeria has ever had. Your open lines of communication and responsiveness in dealing with issues on social media are highly commendable. Bravo!

The purpose of this is letter is an appeal to strengthen the existing health framework in Nigeria to ensure that malaria deaths are reduced. I am aware of all the work that is being done by the Ministry and funding partners to meet the 2020 target towards pre-elimination. As I have worked with NMEP and other incredible local and international partners in the demand generation space regarding malaria.

My Story

I am one of those rare and fortunate people that don’t get malaria. However, on a trip to the UK last month I felt tired. I did not consider this to be unusual or alarming. As I am in good health, eat well and keep fit; I put it down to work stress. When I arrived in the UK on 31 March, I noticed I had a slight fever; I took medication and went straight bed. I was fine on Saturday but by Sunday morning, I knew something was not quite right. I was admitted to a hospital in Blackpool on 1 of April, where I had tests and it was confirmed that I had malaria. At 1.00 am on 2 April I was moved to North Manchester Hospital’s Infectious Disease Unit.

While I am not a medical doctor, I have a good understanding of the first line treatment and was already wondering where the medication was going to come from. One of the registrars explained the treatment plan (which was available) and said that given my condition he wanted to repeat more tests. Within an hour tests came back at 4.6% parasitraemia. According to the UK guidelines 3% was considered severe.

I realized I was extremely unwell, however, I felt completely ‘safe’ in the hands of the unit’s team, not that I had much choice at the time. During the 4 days at North Manchester hospital, the doctors and nurses focused on my clinical care and ensured that I was able to leave the hospital with 0.01% parasitraemia on the 5th of April. I have never seen such an incredible team of people!

Appeal

I am unsure if severe malaria would have been picked up in Nigeria, especially given the average Nigerian’s aversion to testing before treatment and our preference to self medicate. My blood pressure became dangerously low, blood sugar levels dropped and there were concerns of a build-up of fluid on my lungs. If I was in Nigeria, I would have been given medication and sent home. Because malaria is not viewed as the deadly disease it is!

If, in line with “World Malaria Day” 2017’s theme we want to end malaria for good, can you PLEASE continue to ensure that policies that support testing before treatment are adhered to in Nigeria? Can you also continue with your strategic plan and ensure that Primary Health Centres are equipped with the much needed laboratory resources to provide malaria tests in a timely manner?

I don’t pretend to begin to imagine the complexities that will go into taking action in respect of my appeal, but I feel compelled to share my story in the interest and welfare of my fellow Nigerians. I believe that it should be everyone’s collective responsibility to ensure that the number of deaths from malaria (especially infants and children) are significantly reduced. At the Manchester hospital, I asked one of the nurses about malaria related deaths in the unit, she said that she has been working there for 15 years and she was not aware of anyone ever dying from malaria.

Read more at :
http://www.kasherltd.com/kasherspiel/malaria-north-manchester-hospital-me-an-open-letter-of-appeal/
Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by simplyhonest(m): 11:12pm On Apr 25, 2017
Abeggi... I still get malaria here.... so, what are you celebrating...
Re: Health Minister, Adewole Celebrates World Malaria Day (Photos) by Titanik: 11:17pm On May 01, 2017
Weeping may endure for a night but joy comes in the morning. The days of weeping is over cos permanent cure for BREAST CANCER is now available. New discovered and real, fast working like magic. Make the call now 08092427991. Waiting...

(1) (Reply)

3 Best Multivitamins For Babies And Toddlers ... Mothers tell us your experience / Help For Itchy Arm-pits / Primus Hospital Karu, Health Tip Of The Day: Eat Right, Live Healthier!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.