Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,156 members, 7,818,497 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers (4977 Views)

Names Of Traditional Rulers In Yoruba Land / Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies / The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Nobody: 9:35am On Apr 26, 2017
• Emperor Yakuno Amlak, 1270-85 AD (reigned)

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Nobody: 9:38am On Apr 26, 2017
• Emperor Dawit II (Lebne Dengel), 1508-1540 AD

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Nobody: 9:42am On Apr 26, 2017
• Emperor Tewodros II, 1855-68 AD

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Nobody: 9:44am On Apr 26, 2017
• Emperor Yohannes IV, 1872-89 AD

1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Nobody: 9:48am On Apr 26, 2017
5. Emperor Menelik II, 1889-1913 AD

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Nobody: 9:52am On Apr 26, 2017
• Lij Iyasu, 1913-16 AD (wasn't coronated, but ruled for 3 years)

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by fergusen: 9:55am On Apr 26, 2017
@op, are you from Ethiopia.
Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Nobody: 9:55am On Apr 26, 2017
• Empress Zewditu, 1916-30 AD

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Nobody: 9:59am On Apr 26, 2017
• Emperor Haile Sellasie, 1930-74 AD

The last emperor of Ethiopia

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Nobody: 10:01am On Apr 26, 2017
fergusen:
@op, are you from Ethiopia.
Yes! smiley
Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by fergusen: 10:39am On Apr 26, 2017
Hati13:

Yes! smiley
Wow. I do admire Ethiopian culture.
Nice thread. Keep the pictures coming.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Nobody: 11:28am On Apr 26, 2017
fergusen:

Wow. I do admire Ethiopian culture.
Nice thread. Keep the pictures coming.
Great
Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Olu317(m): 3:24pm On Apr 26, 2017
Hati13:
Yes! smiley
What tribe are you?
Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Nobody: 3:51pm On Apr 26, 2017
Olu317:
What tribe are you?
Amhara!

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by slurryeye2: 3:52pm On Apr 26, 2017
Hati13:
8. Emperor Haile Sellasie(1930-74)

Last ruler of Abyssinia/Ethiopia empire.

Haile Sellasie! Ras Tafari

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Nobody: 3:59pm On Apr 26, 2017
slurryeye2:

Haile Sellasie was his crown name. His birth name was Tefari. "Ras" was his noble name (Ras Tefari).

Tefari means "someone who is feared" in Amharic language.

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by fanficgirl(f): 4:23pm On Apr 26, 2017
slurryeye2:

He also hated blacks and saw himself as white grin. OP, didn't he commit horrible atrocities towards Ethiopians?
Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by fanficgirl(f): 4:24pm On Apr 26, 2017
Nice pictures they all look so regal. Ethiopians were born regal.
Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Olu317(m): 8:15pm On Apr 26, 2017
Hati13:

Amhara!
I am YORUBA from Nigeria. I read part of your thread which expose me more about Ethiopia. And I have read some stuff about Queen Sheba's history, is from your tribe? Since your language is Semitic,Where did your ancestors really migrated from?

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Olu317(m): 8:26pm On Apr 26, 2017
Hati13:

Amhara!
I am YORUBA from Nigeria. I have read part of your thread which exposed me more about Ethiopia. And I have read some other stuff about Queen Sheba's history as well which have been subjected to numerous disagreement on a different fora because there were different theories about her personality and being BURIED in NIGERIA. What tribe is Queen Sheba? Where was she buried? What is the tribe of Ras Tefari? Who are the Tigray tribe of Ethiopia?,Since your language is Semitic,Where did your ancestors really migrated from?
Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Nobody: 9:11pm On Apr 26, 2017
Olu317:
I am YORUBA from Nigeria. I have read part of your thread which exposed me more about Ethiopia. And I have read some other stuff about Queen Sheba's history as well which have been subjected to numerous disagreement on a different fora because there were different theories about her personality and being BURIED in NIGERIA. What tribe is Queen Sheba? Where was she buried? What is the tribe of Ras Tefari? Who are the Tigray tribe of Ethiopia?,Since your language is Semitic,Where did your ancestors really migrated from?

The story of Queen of Sheba is a legend. There are no concrete evidences which support she was real. The legend say that, she was the ruler of Sebean kingdom in southern Yemen that also include present day northern Ethiopia. The legend also says that, she went to Jerusalem to meet King Solomon and she became pregnant from him. Her child was born in Ethiopia and was named Menelik I. After he grown, he went to Jerusalem to meet his father. When he returned to Ethiopia, he stole the Ark of covenant and brought it to Ethiopia with him. It's now believed that its found in the church of Axum. Her tribe is believed to be Sebean. I don't know where she was believed to be buried.

Emperor Haile Sellasie ethnic backgrounds was from Amhara, Oromo and Gurage.

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Olu317(m): 6:39am On Apr 27, 2017
Hati13:

The story of Queen of Sheba is a legend. There are no concrete evidences which support she was real. The legend say that, she was the ruler of Sebean kingdom in southern Yemen that also include present day northern Ethiopia. The legend also says that, she went to Jerusalem to meet King Solomon and she became pregnant from him. Her child was born in Ethiopia and was named Menelik I. After he grown, he went to Jerusalem to meet his father. When he returned to Ethiopia, he stole the Ark of covenant and brought it to Ethiopia with him. It's now believed that its found in the church of Axum. Her tribe is believed to be Sebean. I don't know where she was believed to be buried.

Emperor Haile Sellasie ethnic backgrounds was Oromo(50%), Gurage(25%) and Amhara(25%).

Tigray ethnic group is found in Tigray region(northern Ethiopia). Amhara and Tigray people are Agew/Semitic people who lost their partial Agew identity. Amharas are Amharanized Agew/Semitic and Tigray are Tigraynized Agew/Semitic peoples.

Our(Amhara, Tigray, Gurage, Harar and Bahir-Tigrayia(Eritrea) ancestors were Agew, Arab, Afar and few others.
If what you said here, is true, then it is a mystery to me because, I have read deep story about her and her connection to to Old Ethiopia region. However, I had thought she came out of the current Ethiopia environment even if not directly the present day Ethiopia. It will surprise you, if you know that, there is a part of Yoruba that CLAIMED she was buried in one of Yoruba's clan in Nigeria. However,Queen Sheba was said to be referred to as BILQUIS by the Arabs scholars who was married to King Solomon and being called BILIKISU in Yoruba land. However, according to Yoruba myth, she had no child. And the BILIKISU's burial ground is situated at Ijebu in Nigeria. Lastly, I haven't seen any real connection to Yemen because, Queen Sheba was said to be from cush (dark skin beautiful woman). And if Ethiopia and her environs around horn of Africa doesn't have, then, more research need be done in finding out exactly, who she was because, YEMEN in history haven't boasted of a lady, with such great wealth as she was said to have had in her possession .

Haile sallesie information, shocked me because, most coloured people outside Africa's soil had thought , he was JEWISH and precisely descendant of KING SOLOMON. The statistics you gave me about his connection to the tribes mentioned isn't linked with any Jewish settlement in Ethiopia , does it?

I asked about Tigray because Yoruba's DNA is connected with them and also connected to The OROMO of Ethiopia. Where did OROMO came from before settling down in Ethiopia?

Have a wonderful time out there.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Nobody: 9:02am On Apr 27, 2017
Olu317:
If what you said here, is true, then it is a mystery to me because, I have read deep story about her and her connection to to Old Ethiopia region. However, I had thought she came out of the current Ethiopia environment even if not directly the present day Ethiopia. It will surprise you, if you know that, there is a part of Yoruba that CLAIMED she was buried in one of Yoruba's clan in Nigeria. However,Queen Sheba was said to be referred to as BILQUIS by the Arabs scholars who was married to King Solomon and being called BILIKISU in Yoruba land. However, according to Yoruba myth, she had no child. And the BILIKISU's burial ground is situated at Ijebu in Nigeria. Lastly, I haven't seen any real connection to Yemen because, Queen Sheba was said to be from cush (dark skin beautiful woman). And if Ethiopia and her environs around horn of Africa doesn't have, then, more research need be done in finding out exactly, who she was because, YEMEN in history haven't boasted of a lady, with such great wealth as she was said to have had in her possession .

Haile sallesie information, shocked me because, most coloured people outside Africa's soil had thought , he was JEWISH and precisely descendant of KING SOLOMON. The statistics you gave me about his connection to the tribes mentioned isn't linked with any Jewish settlement in Ethiopia , does it?

I asked about Tigray because Yoruba's DNA is connected with them and also connected to The OROMO of Ethiopia. Where did OROMO came from before settling down in Ethiopia?

Have a wonderful time out there.
There are many legends about Queen of Sheba, but the most agreed by Scholars is the Ethiopia version. Some say she was black(Cushitic), while others say that, she was a mix of Cushitic/Semitic(Arab or Jew). There was a kingdom called Sebean in southern Yemen. May be she was the ruler of both present day northern Ethiopia and Sebean kingdom. Her name in Ethiopia is called "Makeda".

I don't know if the Yoruba people are descendants of Queen of Sheba, because I don't if she was real.

The so called Solomonic Dynasty was formed by Menelik I in the 1000 B.C. If this Dynasty was true, then Emperor Haile Sellasie was descended from his Amhara background. But I don't believe the legend or story, because there is no evidences to support it.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by 9jakool: 9:56am On Apr 27, 2017
Hati13:

There are many legends about Queen of Sheba, but the most agreed by Scholars is one the Ethiopia version. Some say she was black(Cushitic), while others say that, she was a mix of Cushitic/Semitic(Arab or Jew). There was a kingdom called Sebean in southern Yemen. May be she was the ruler of both present day northern Ethiopia and Sebean kingdom. Her name in Ethiopia is called "Makeda".

I don't know if the Yoruba people are descendants of Queen of Sheba, because I don't if she was real.

The so called Solomonic Dynasty was formed by Menelik I in the 1000 B.C. If this Dynasty was true, then Emperor Haile Sellasie was descended from his Amhara background. But I don't believe the legend or story, because there is no evidences to support it.

Amhara and Tigray are mix of Agew/Arab. If you want to know about their origin, read one of my topic named "Origin of Amhara, Tigray and Gurage Ethnic Groups".

Queen Sheba is totally Ethiopian.
And again, Yoruba aren't descendants of Queen Sheba or Oromo people. Looking at the timeline, you would almost see a huge gap. Queen of Sheba dates to around 1000 B.C, and Bilikisu Sungbo dates to around 800 A.D. The truth was there was a powerful woman from the region. Her tomb and the eredo (fortress) walls are all preserved. There's still further exploration and mapping of the site that needs to be done. The Sheba myth was later concocted by practitioners of Islam and Christianity. In 800 A.D, Islam wasn't practiced by Yoruba yet or widely known in West Africa.

Oh I've read the history of the Semitic peoples of Ethiopia in your posts. I think you did a good job on the explanation! One thing I noticed was the fact that you admitted that people in the region have mixed ancestry. Some Ethiopians would say that they aren't mixed and I've noticed this divide among some of them.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Aksumawi2805(m): 10:22am On Apr 27, 2017
9jakool:

And again, Yoruba aren't descendants of Queen Sheba or Oromo people. Looking at the timeline, you would almost see a huge gap. Queen of Sheba dates to around 1000 B.C, and Bilikisu Sungbo dates to around 800 A.D. The truth was there was a powerful woman from the region. Her tomb and the eredo (fortress) walls are all preserved. There's still further exploration and mapping of the site that needs to be done. The Sheba myth was later concocted by practitioners of Islam and Christianity. In 800 A.D, Islam wasn't practiced by Yoruba yet or widely known is West Africa.

Oh I've read the history of the Semitic peoples of Ethiopia in your posts. I think you did a good job on the explanation! One thing I noticed was the fact that you admitted that people in the region have mixed ancestry. Some Ethiopians would say that they aren't mixed and I've noticed this divide among some of them.

Our mixed ancestry isn't that complicated,I mean people from both side of the red sea have been trading and moving for centuries there were many Yemenite descendants that control the Ethiopian trading markets before they moved out and the Gurage people took over.In Eritrea the rashaida people are ethnic Arabs that recently entered the land
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashaida_people
so mixing is normal.But not through slave trade like some people say!
Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by 9jakool: 10:39am On Apr 27, 2017
Aksumawi2805:

Our mixed ancestry isn't that complicated,I mean people from both side of the red sea have been trading and moving for centuries there were many Yemenite descendants that control the Ethiopian trading markets before they moved out and the Gurage people took over.In Eritrea the rashaida people are ethnic Arabs that recently entered the land
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashaida_people
so mixing is normal.But not through slave trade like some people say!

I know, it makes sense. Mixing must have taken place among non-Habesha people as well.
Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Nobody: 12:06pm On Apr 27, 2017
9jakool:

And again, Yoruba aren't descendants of Queen Sheba or Oromo people. Looking at the timeline, you would almost see a huge gap. Queen of Sheba dates to around 1000 B.C, and Bilikisu Sungbo dates to around 800 A.D. The truth was there was a powerful woman from the region. Her tomb and the eredo (fortress) walls are all preserved. There's still further exploration and mapping of the site that needs to be done. The Sheba myth was later concocted by practitioners of Islam and Christianity. In 800 A.D, Islam wasn't practiced by Yoruba yet or widely known is West Africa.

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by MtuMsuper: 12:20pm On Apr 27, 2017
Hati13 and Aksumawi2805, please explain to me. What happened to the families of the emperor Haile Selassie after the Derg of Mengistu Mariam took over in 1974(correct the year if am wrong). Did they end up like the family of the China emperor after the Boxer revolution in 1949 or the family of the Tsar of Russia after the Bolshevik revolution of 1917?
Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Olu317(m): 12:35pm On Apr 27, 2017
Hati13:

There are many legends about Queen of Sheba, but the most agreed by Scholars is one the Ethiopia version. Some say she was black(Cushitic), while others say that, she was a mix of Cushitic/Semitic(Arab or Jew). There was a kingdom called Sebean in southern Yemen. May be she was the ruler of both present day northern Ethiopia and Sebean kingdom. Her name in Ethiopia is called "Makeda".

Amhara and Tigray are mix of Agew/Arab. If you want to know about their origin, read one of my topic named "Origin of Amhara, Tigray and Gurage Ethnic Groups".
Oh I see . Yoruba didn't claim Descendant of Queen Sheba. But some few people think it was BILIKISU, a Yoruba woman known to be very rich many years ago. The period of BILIKISU of Yoruba land is different from QUEEN SHEBA'S PERIOD. And Tigray and Oromo are the ones that Yoruba share part of its DNA with. I will read about it on thread.

Thanks
Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Nobody: 1:48pm On Apr 27, 2017
MtuMsuper:
Hati13 and Aksumawi2805, please explain to me. What happened to the families of the emperor Haile Selassie after the Derg of Mengistu Mariam took over in 1974(correct the year if am wrong). Did they end up like the family of the China emperor after the Boxer revolution in 1949 or the family of the Tsar of Russia after the Bolshevik revolution of 1917?
Emperor Haile Selassie had 6 children's from his second wife Empress Menen Asfaw and one child from his previous marriage.

Read this info to know what happens to them in details!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haile_Selassie

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by Nobody: 2:27pm On Apr 27, 2017
fanficgirl:

He also hated blacks and saw himself as white grin. OP, didn't he commit horrible atrocities towards Ethiopians?
When Italy invaded us in 1935, instead of fighting theme and possibly die, he fled the country. The Italians only occupied few areas of the country. None of the Ethiopians in large area of the country surrendered. During Italy 5 years occupation, between 500,000-800,000 Ethiopian people died. In 1941, Ethiopia was liberated mostly by the Ethiopian patriotic rather than most people belief, it was mostly done by the British force.

When he was exile in UK, Marcus Gravely went there to meet him, but he said no, because he was black. After that moment, some black people(including Marcus Gravely) attitude towards him changed for the bad.

During his reign, he kept many million Dollars in foreign Banks and brought a special cake for his dog birthday, while most of the people were in starvation(especially, the people of Wollo, Amhara region).

It took him 2 years to accept the abolishment of slavery, in order to be a member of the League of Nations.

3 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers by MtuMsuper: 4:01pm On Apr 27, 2017
Hati13:

When Italy invaded us in 1935, instead of fighting theme and possibly die, he fled the country. The Italians only occupied few areas of the country. None of the Ethiopians in large area of the country surrendered. During Italy 5 years occupation, between 500,000-800,000 Ethiopian people died. In 1941, Ethiopia was liberated mostly by the Ethiopian patriotic rather than most people belief, it was mostly done by the British force.

When he was exile in UK, Marcus Gravely went there to meet him, but he said no, because he was black. After that moment, some black people(including Marcus Gravely) attitude towards him changed for the bad.

During his reign, he kept many million Dollars in foreign Banks and brought a special cake for his dog birthday, while most of the people were in starvation(especially, the people of Wollo, Amhara region).

It took him 2 years to accept the abolishment of slavery, in order to be a member of the League of Nations.
You mean Haile Selassie believed in slavery!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Kogi Central (Ebira) People Call Ihima and Adavi People Yoruba? / Mixed Heritage Nigerians / Interesting Things About 'The Iku Baba Yeye Of Yoruba Land': Oba Lamidi Adeyemi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.