Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

Why Do Kogi Central (Ebira) People Call Ihima and Adavi People Yoruba? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Kogi Central (Ebira) People Call Ihima and Adavi People Yoruba? (4970 Views)

Ebira People..... / Ehinoyi Of Ebira Palace: Okene King's Palace In Kogi State (Pictures) / Why Do White People Call Ghana "Shining Light" Of The Continent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Kogi Central (Ebira) People Call Ihima and Adavi People Yoruba? by AdeizaPaul: 1:21am On Jun 05, 2017
I have been wondering for a very long time now. It is well known in Kogi central zone (Anebira) that the people of Adavi Eba and Ihima are called Yoruba by other Ebira people, some even say their founders came from Yorubaland. Please how true are the stories?

I have attached a map of Ihima. Let us discuss.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Kogi Central (Ebira) People Call Ihima and Adavi People Yoruba? by AkinPhysicist: 1:29am On Jun 05, 2017
cheesy cool cool cheesy
Re: Why Do Kogi Central (Ebira) People Call Ihima and Adavi People Yoruba? by LionDeLeo: 1:48am On Jun 05, 2017
OP, the ebiras from other places within Kogi central refer to only the ihima people as Yorubas, never heard of Adavi Eba. The people of Adavi eba are well recognised in Kogi central. Although I don't really understand why they call them Yorubas, I think it may not be unconnected with some of the traditions in that ihima. For instance, tribal mark (the single short horizontal mark on both sides of female cheeks), all those their eche ori and they understand yoruba language better than other parts of the senatorial zone. But note, they are fully recognised. Remember, Philip Salawu is from ihima.

But I think this is just assumption on the part of the ebiras because most important things from ihima are very related to ebira. Eg, the traditional head of ihima is The Ohi of ihima.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Kogi Central (Ebira) People Call Ihima and Adavi People Yoruba? by AdeizaPaul: 2:17am On Jun 05, 2017
LionDeLeo:
OP, the ebiras from other places within Kogi central refer to only the ihima people as Yorubas, never heard of Adavi Eba. The people of Adavi eba are well recognised in Kogi central. Although I don't really understand why they call them Yorubas, I think it may not be unconnected with some of the traditions in that ihima. For instance, tribal mark (the single short horizontal mark on both sides of female cheeks), all those their eche ori and they understand yoruba language better than other parts of the senatorial zone. But note, they are fully recognised. Remember, Philip Salawu is from ihima.

But I think this is just assumption on the part of the ebiras because most important things from ihima are very related to ebira. Eg, the traditional head of ihima is The Ohi of ihima.

Interesting.
Yes, Ihima is the most common one, but Adavi people too, in both areas, the people speak Yoruba well with many having Yoruba names. Like Onukaba Ojo, Atiku's ex media aide who died recently. Sometimes, it can even be hard to tell the difference.
I think a kind of cross fertilization of people happened in that area, although like you rightly said the people, our main origin is Ebira.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Kogi Central (Ebira) People Call Ihima and Adavi People Yoruba? by Masanto: 4:40am On Jun 05, 2017
ole. the image have been manipulated
Re: Why Do Kogi Central (Ebira) People Call Ihima and Adavi People Yoruba? by AdeizaPaul: 3:08pm On Jun 05, 2017
Masanto:
ole. the image have been manipulated

What do you mean?
Re: Why Do Kogi Central (Ebira) People Call Ihima and Adavi People Yoruba? by macof(m): 12:20pm On Jun 06, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Interesting

"Ohi" could also be related to "ori" in Yoruba meaning head

1 Like

Re: Why Do Kogi Central (Ebira) People Call Ihima and Adavi People Yoruba? by Konquest: 12:17am On Apr 29, 2019
AdeizaPaul:
I have been wondering for a very long time now. It is well known in Kogi central zone (Anebira) that the people of Adavi Eba and Ihima are called Yoruba by other Ebira people, some even say their founders came from Yorubaland. Please how true are the stories?

I have attached a map of Ihima. Let us discuss.
^^^^^^
^^^^^^
^^^^^^
This is a very interesting post @AdeizaPaul.

I found your post while doing some more reading on the history of Ihima and the oldest monarch from Ihima. Are you originally from
there?

Oldest Monarch in the world, the Obobanyi of Ohionwa in Ihima, Okehi Local
Government of Kogi State, Chief Jeremiah Akaava, has died at the age of 116. I read this on the NL Front Page yesterday night.

===>https://www.nairaland.com/5157183/jeremiah-akaava-dies-116-kogi

On the other hand while searching for some information on Igala history in 2015, I came across a post by an elderly Ebira man on Facebook who said he was surprised that young Igalas online did NOT realise that Igala
is the UNION of EBIRA KOTO[Apa]+AKPOTO YORUBA

====>https://www.nairaland.com/4191766/want-learn-igala-language-get/7
====>https://www.nairaland.com/2945025/facts-ebira-people

Igala has about 65 to 75 percent Yoruba words in it. I believe there are ancestral ties between the Yoruba, Ebira, Igala, Idomas around the Niger and Benue confluence going back to over 1000 years ago.
====>https://www.nairaland.com/4191766/want-learn-igala-language-get/

People have to read more about the ancestral ties that bind our people together.

Thanks to the Internet for removing the inefficiencies that existed in the past in the areas of historical research.

All the best!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Africans Losing Their Identity In The West: ? / Notable Civil Wars In Nigerian History / Coming Of Islam To Hausaland By Trade Not Jihad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.