Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,865 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

Pythonists Please Help!!....def Functionname(self)...confusing Me.. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Pythonists Please Help!!....def Functionname(self)...confusing Me.. (1234 Views)

Help! My Industrial Training Is Confusing Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pythonists Please Help!!....def Functionname(self)...confusing Me.. by phililp(m): 10:25am On Apr 27, 2017
dear programmers..

am among those that cudnt make it to Andela in the previous application so getting set for the next.

so.. am really confused about the self. parameter in python... here is ma code

class Customers:
account_balance = 0.0

def _init_(self):
self.account_type = str(input('account type:'))
self.name = str(input('enter name of customer:'))
self.account_balance = 0

def withdrawal(self):
self.amount = int(input('specify amount you want withdrawal:'))
if amount > self.account_balance:
print('sorry; insufficient balance')
else:
self.account_balance -= amount
return self.account_balance

def deposit(self):
deposit_amount = int(input('please enter deposit amount:'))
self.account_balance += deposit_amount
print('you just deposited ', deposit_amount, ' and you new balance is' , self.account_balance)

customer1 = Customers()
customer2 = Customers()

the problem is about self..

now i created a class Customers and a class variable called account_balance
i know that if i want to make use of the class variable in any of the modules in class Customer
i wud simply do: self.account_balance

my question is this:

if i want to create a variable in a module; do i still need to tag it with the self.?
like i did in the def widrawal(self)

def withdrawal(self)
self.amount = ........

or shud i just define the variable without the self?

would appreciate a ditailed answer.. thanks
Re: Pythonists Please Help!!....def Functionname(self)...confusing Me.. by nakaofficial(m): 8:21pm On Apr 29, 2017
You don't need to use self in module, you can simply use the variable amount instead.

Below is a sample code:

def withdrawal(amount):
if amount > account_balance:
print('sorry; insufficient balance')
else:
account_balance -= amount
return account_balance

def deposit(amount):
account_balance += amount
print('you just deposited, ' amount ' and you new balance is' , account_balance)
return account_balance

NB: saving the above code as bank.py

>>> from bank import withdrawal, deposit

account_balance = 5000
x = int(input('please enter deposit amount:'))
>>> please enter deposit amount: 3000

withdrawal (x)
>>> 2000
OR
deposit (x)
>>> 8000

Hope this helps.
Re: Pythonists Please Help!!....def Functionname(self)...confusing Me.. by phililp(m): 8:42pm On Apr 29, 2017
thanks bro..

alot
Re: Pythonists Please Help!!....def Functionname(self)...confusing Me.. by TechRex(m): 1:25am On Apr 30, 2017
the self variable is a constant variable taht should be in any method parameter declaration,..

The self variable makes it easier to access the class/program variables e.g

socket = Socket.socket()
request = ""

def processRequest(self, request):
self.request = request

It is very important to add the self variable in your method parameters, some programmers might say it is not important, but in the actual sense it is **** important

When you start coding with bigger erp frameworks like odoo 10, you willl really need to develop the norm of using self in you method......

1 Like

Re: Pythonists Please Help!!....def Functionname(self)...confusing Me.. by phililp(m): 11:00am On Apr 30, 2017
TechRex:
the self variable is a constant variable taht should be in any method parameter declaration,..

The self variable makes it easier to access the class/program variables e.g

socket = Socket.socket()
request = ""

def processRequest(self, request):
self.request = request

It is very important to add the self variable in your method parameters, some programmers might say it is not important, but in the actual sense it is **** important

When you start coding with bigger erp frameworks like odoo 10, you willl really need to develop the norm of using self in you method......

what if u wana create a variable in the method.. that dont need to be supplied argument..
like say:

def addition(self; num1; num2)
result = self.num1 + self.num2
return result

now is the result supposed to be self.result??
Re: Pythonists Please Help!!....def Functionname(self)...confusing Me.. by fleshbone(m): 1:31pm On Apr 30, 2017
In my opinion, the class being a class object, the def is ur method. We are suppose to initialize, therefore, u can use the built-in-function, __init__() constructor. The first arguement, self, is referring to the class name, and other arguement can follow. But where would the arguement land?

Therefore, one need to create variables to hold this arguement when they're passed.

To do this,

Self.the_name_you_choose = one_ of_the_argument
Self.the_name_you_choose = another_argument.

After creating an instance (which is passing values into that class created) , one can then access this variables by 'classname.variable_name_in_the_class'

Example

Class point: #classname
Def __init__(self, x, y): #initialising with a constructor
Self.x = x #assigning classname.x
Self.y = y #assigning classname.y

Pt = point(5,6) #creating an object of classname
Sum = int (pt.x + pt.y) #using the created object

Print(sum) #print result

I hope this help. I stand to be corrected as I started learning too less than a month now.

phililp
Re: Pythonists Please Help!!....def Functionname(self)...confusing Me.. by phililp(m): 3:01pm On Apr 30, 2017
fleshbone:
In my opinion, the class being a class object, the def is ur method. We are suppose to initialize, therefore, u can use the built-in-function, __init__() constructor. The first arguement, self, is referring to the class name, and other arguement can follow. But where would the arguement land?

Therefore, one need to create variables to hold this arguement when they're passed.

To do this,

Self.the_name_you_choose = one_ of_the_argument
Self.the_name_you_choose = another_argument.

After creating an instance (which is passing values into that class created) , one can then access this variables by 'classname.variable_name_in_the_class'

Example

Class point: #classname
Def __init__(self, x, y): #initialising with a constructor
Self.x = x #assigning classname.x
Self.y = y #assigning classname.y

Pt = point(5,6) #creating an object of classname
Sum = int (pt.x + pt.y) #using the created object

Print(sum) #print result

I hope this help. I stand to be corrected as I started learning too less than a month now.

phililp

thanks for ur contribution fleshbone... but i think nobody has gotten my point

lemme make it clear

if i want to create an instance variable that is not a parameter. and no argument is supposed to be passed to it..
do i stiill need to tag it with self??

example

class customers:
-----def add_two_nums(self; num1; num2)
-------outcome = self.num1 + self.num2
-------return outcome

[center]or[/center]

class customers:
-------self.outcome = self.num1 + self.num2
-------return self.outcome
Re: Pythonists Please Help!!....def Functionname(self)...confusing Me.. by badthinds: 6:38pm On Apr 30, 2017
isorite guys...I guys the quuestion here has been answered.

NOTE: Codes may perform identical functions, but with entirely different lines!.

...and no way is the best, the best way in our world is the most secure way! wink
Re: Pythonists Please Help!!....def Functionname(self)...confusing Me.. by fleshbone(m): 6:51pm On Apr 30, 2017
phililp:

thanks for ur contribution fleshbone... but i think nobody has gotten my point

lemme make it clear

if i want to create an instance variable that is not a parameter. and no argument is supposed to be passed to it..
do i stiill need to tag it with self??

example

class customers:
-------outcome = self.num1 + self.num2
-------return outcome

[center]or[/center]

class customers:
-------self.outcome = self.num1 + self.num2
-------return self.outcome

Here, I see the num1 and num2 as ur argument.

'Self.outcome = num1 + num2'

I don't think u need to put self before them.

I would try it too sha.
Re: Pythonists Please Help!!....def Functionname(self)...confusing Me.. by fleshbone(m): 7:15pm On Apr 30, 2017
Try this

--------------------------------------------------------------

Class sum_it:
--- Def __init__(self, num1, num2):
------- Self.answer = num1 + num2

Def main():
----Ans = sum_it(5,10)
--------Print(answer.ans)

Main()

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above worked for me. I just tried it. Goodluck phililp.
Re: Pythonists Please Help!!....def Functionname(self)...confusing Me.. by TechRex(m): 10:11pm On Apr 30, 2017
phililp:

what if u wana create a variable in the method.. that dont need to be supplied argument..
like say:

def addition(self; num1; num2)
result = self.num1 + self.num2
return result

now is the result supposed to be self.result??

Dont get you sir
Re: Pythonists Please Help!!....def Functionname(self)...confusing Me.. by phililp(m): 11:12pm On Apr 30, 2017
TechRex:

Dont get you sir

dun worry techrex.. have got it..

and thanks alot for ur concern sir..
Re: Pythonists Please Help!!....def Functionname(self)...confusing Me.. by phililp(m): 11:17pm On Apr 30, 2017
hey fleshbone.. looks like we both in same route..

i just started learning python a couple of weeks ago.

u can add me up on fb lets share ideas..

username = "philips chike"
linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/philip-chike-54780313a/

thanks

(1) (Reply)

Mt4 Ea Programmer Needed Asap / Help!!! Can I Use This Laptop For App Development/coding? / Please Is This Training Fee Too Much For Cybersecurity?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.