Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,622 members, 7,827,324 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job (7747 Views)

What Is The Job Description Of A Compliance Officer In A Bank? / Some Social Rules That May Help You Look Professional / Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job by Spazwik: 3:00pm On Apr 27, 2017
In life, many opportunities are tied to what other people think of you. It normal to hear things like, “don’t care about what other think of you”. Well, sometimes, you really have to be bothered about it.

At your workplace, if people you work with think you are smart, you are most likely to get asked to take part in projects that will enhance your career. On the other hand, there are thoughts that you dumb flying in people’s heads, you’ll probably be passed over. Looking smart is just as important as being smart.

Assuming that you are actually smart, and you don’t have to fake anything — Your goal should be to make people think of you as a smart person. Humans aren’t particularly good at judging the intelligence of other humans. Here are six things you can do that will help enhance people’s perception of your intelligence.

Speak up

The more you can contribute to a conversation, a meeting, or other discourse, the smarter you’ll come off. Even if it means admitting ignorance or asking questions, you’ll still look better than if you stay silent—and you might actually learn something in the process.

Expressive speech is key: you can boost your credibility a lot by simply making sure you speak with an engaging tone. Change your pitch and volume as necessary, and try to minimize the number of pauses as you speak. A little confidence goes a long way.

Take a contrary view

This has to be done delicately. Simply disagreeing with everyone around you will not help. However, having a well reasoned position that is different than others shows you are capable of independent thought.

You must be careful not to insult anyone when you choose to take this approach. Keep in mind that you are probably not aware of all the relationships that exist. Taking the position that the CEO of your company is doing a poor job while talking to his daughter will not make you look intelligent.

Go about with reading materials

It is better if you actually read the material, but since we started with the assumption that you are smart we can probably also assume that you regularly read “smart” things.

You could carry around a business book or any great informative material. You are simply managing perceptions and trying to make sure people associate you with sources of information that they think are intelligent.

Ask questions

Most people try to show how smart they are by telling others what they know. This often backfires. It is easy to appear arrogant. In addition, the person who always acts like an expert on every subject is likely to be regarded with some suspicion.

Asking intelligent questions can showcase your intelligence much more effectively than showing everyone how much you know. There are several reasons for this. The first reason is that most truly intelligent people are extremely teachable–that is how they became so intelligent. If you are trying to act smart without exhibiting teachable behavior people will think you are a fake.

What else do you do to appear smart at work?

Source:http://www.dailydigest.ng/easy-tips-make-look-smart-job/

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job by Spazwik: 3:03pm On Apr 27, 2017
CC lalastICLALA
Re: These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job by Mr2kay3: 8:06am On Apr 30, 2017
sad
This close to ftc

sad
Happy Sunday guys.Contact 2k to get your website ideas come to life professionally ,check my signature for more info
Re: These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job by jerrybakermillz(m): 8:07am On Apr 30, 2017
Kk... Very good post, but after been smart in your job, why is it that promotion goes to the other guy or lady that is less smarter than you? Board of directors likes to promote people that they can easily manipulate , while you as the smart one gets more work load cause they believe you can find a solution and smart your way in solving it, at the end of the day you report to your dumb boss as he pad you in the back for a job well done with an additional bonus.

Bros FYI it is better to use your brain in your job than to be smart in it

8 Likes

Re: These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job by KingLennon(m): 8:07am On Apr 30, 2017
OP this is a nice piece but you can modify you post with bolding the points and accurate paragraphing to make the work look neat.
Re: These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job by adedayourt(m): 8:08am On Apr 30, 2017
Heepfu
Re: These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job by Jinyjagz(m): 8:12am On Apr 30, 2017
nice piece
Re: These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job by Blanc8(m): 8:13am On Apr 30, 2017
it more or less Over Sabi, Eye Service

Why you want to look instead of actually being Smart

2 Likes

Re: These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job by Nobody: 8:13am On Apr 30, 2017
smiley smiley smiley
Re: These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job by leyemok(m): 8:14am On Apr 30, 2017
Wonderful piece! So on point.
Re: These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job by ennysuccess(m): 8:23am On Apr 30, 2017
cheesy
Re: These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job by number5(m): 8:25am On Apr 30, 2017
Spazwik:
CC lalastICLALA

Op, u greedy sha.

Only u be op and u still snatch ftc from dat guy up dere..haba

Today is sunday na..be generous
Re: These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job by stevedeey(m): 8:42am On Apr 30, 2017
Well. This is the best post I've seen on nairaland front page lately.

modified : one of the best posts.
Re: These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job by lonelydora: 8:43am On Apr 30, 2017
Nice points Op. Any gathering I find myself in, I always contribute no matter how little. It makes people want to be around thinking you are too smart.(well, I know I'm smart shaa grin)
Re: These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job by lonelydora: 8:48am On Apr 30, 2017
jerrybakermillz:
Kk... Very good post, but after been smart in your job, while is it that promotion goes to the other guy or lady that is less smarter than you? Board of directors likes to promote people that they can easily manipulate , while you as the smart one gets more work load cause they believe you can find a solution and smart your way in solving it, at the end of the day you report to your dumb boss as he pad you in the back for a job well done with an additional bonus.

Bros FYI it is better to use your brain in your job than to be smart in it

It looks as if we work in same place. Promotion goes to 'Yes Sir' boys. My only regret is that I didn't start the office politics on time, thinking smartness and being bold/outspoken will help.
Re: These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job by Misterpaul(m): 10:19am On Apr 30, 2017
Better make sure that you are actually smart before trying to give people the impression of being smart. Or else, when they eventually finds out that you really not as smart as you pose to be, yawa go dey o.

1 Like

Re: These Easy Tips Would Make You Look Smart On The Job by Spazwik: 1:05pm On May 02, 2017
Nice
Misterpaul:
Better make sure that you are actually smart before trying to give people the impression of being smart. Or else, when they eventually finds out that you really not as smart as you pose to be, yawa go dey o.

(1) (Reply)

What Are D Career Prospects For A Mathematics Graduate? / Salary Of Teachers In Private Schools In Lagos / Can A Doctor Work In An Oil Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.