Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,807 members, 7,820,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

Any Knowledge About Making Popcorn? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Any Knowledge About Making Popcorn? (2521 Views)

Please I Need A Full Knowledge About This Business / Do You Know Some Knowledge About Aluminum Foil? / Local Popcorn Machine For Sale. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Knowledge About Making Popcorn? by lizzilicious(f): 9:29pm On Apr 27, 2017
please i want to know if the corn kernels for making popcorn are usually washed and kept over night because of stones and sands before they are popped.. and also, what is the simplest way of making it manually without a machine..

1 Like

Re: Any Knowledge About Making Popcorn? by Nobody: 6:58am On Apr 28, 2017
Hi. I'll suggest you buy the foreign corn (see pic below) so there'll be no need to wash and dry and all that. I used to have a popcorn stand a while back. Here's how you pop with the manual gas machine:

1. Wipe the pot clean.
2. Pour in a generous amount of groundnut oil; make sure it spreads out totally on the base of the pot.
3. Add your foreign corn. Add Sima's butter. Add sugar.
4. Shut the pot and stir for about two minutes. Try to make sure everything mixes evenly.
5. Leave for another two minutes to settle. Place the pot on the already lit gas burner and keep stirring.
6. Add flavour at this point (liquid coconut or vanilla)
7. Stir until the corn pops.

That's all, OP.

Re: Any Knowledge About Making Popcorn? by katelyryan: 11:09am On Apr 28, 2017
Use a paper towel to spread 2 tsp. vegetable or olive oil over bottom of a medium or large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add 1/4 cup popcorn kernels, cover pan, and cook undisturbed over medium-low heat until popping becomes vigorous. Once popping starts to slow, give the pan a shake, and remove from heat. When popping has slowed to 2- to 3-second intervals between pops, transfer to serving bowl.
Re: Any Knowledge About Making Popcorn? by chimzy105(f): 3:03pm On Sep 20, 2020
iamadonis2:
Hi. I'll suggest you buy the foreign corn (see pic below) so there'll be no need to wash and dry and all that. I used to have a popcorn stand a while back. Here's how you pop with the manual gas machine:

1. Wipe the pot clean.
2. Pour in a generous amount of groundnut oil; make sure it spreads out totally on the base of the pot.
3. Add your foreign corn. Add Sima's butter. Add sugar.
4. Shut the pot and stir for about two minutes. Try to make sure everything mixes evenly.
5. Leave for another two minutes to settle. Place the pot on the already lit gas burner and keep stirring.
6. Add flavour at this point (liquid coconut or vanilla)
7. Stir until the corn pops.

That's all, OP.
When I tried adding sugar directly into the pan with the corn it caramelizes before the corn even start to pop and gets burnt...pls any advice on that?
Re: Any Knowledge About Making Popcorn? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Sep 20, 2020
chimzy105:

When I tried adding sugar directly into the pan with the corn it caramelizes before the corn even start to pop and gets burnt...pls any advice on that?

Oh dear!

This almost happened in another lifetime. Don’t think I can remember exactly how to help. But I’ll ask someone for you please.
Re: Any Knowledge About Making Popcorn? by Nobody: 7:34am On Sep 21, 2020
It's washed so that it will be soft
Re: Any Knowledge About Making Popcorn? by chimzy105(f): 9:21am On Sep 24, 2020
iamadonis2:

Oh dear!

This almost happened in another lifetime. Don’t think I can remember exactly how to help. But I’ll ask someone for you please.
Thank you
Re: Any Knowledge About Making Popcorn? by bbeautylik(f): 4:23pm On Sep 24, 2020
chimzy105:

add sugar after putting the corn
Re: Any Knowledge About Making Popcorn? by chimzy105(f): 10:18pm On Sep 25, 2020
bbeautylik:
add sugar after putting the corn
Okay thank you
Re: Any Knowledge About Making Popcorn? by 3ncrypted: 10:41am On Nov 06, 2020
Lemme try to explanation. Lol, add like 4-5table spoon oil to the base of your pot, heat up the oil then add your corn into pot, stair corn to mix with the oil properly, cover the pot but created a little space to allow for hair. If the pot has glass cover that has a hole on top great. Now your pop corn should be ready. As for sugar to make a caramelized popcorn. Put your frying pan on fire add butter and sugar to melt on low heat remove from heat once your sugar has dissolved immediately pour over your popcorn. You can also put sugar and butter into the microwave faster.

chimzy105:

Re: Any Knowledge About Making Popcorn? by Aimerosa25(f): 8:51am On Nov 07, 2020
Melt butter in the pot, make sure it is very hot, put a corn kernel in the pot, if it pops, pour your desired amount of corn and stir, cover the pot, it'll start popping, when it stops popping, pour the popped corn on a tray, mix powdered milk and sugar together, and mix with the corn, this is the recipe I use at home and it comes out really tasty and creamy.

(1) (Reply)

10 Most Popular Local Dishes And Traditional Foods In Warri / Basmati Jellof Rice Vs Long Grain Jellof Rice / 7 Life Efo Riro Recipe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.