Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,920 members, 7,844,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

B.EMT Or Bsc.emt, Should The Struggle Continue? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / B.EMT Or Bsc.emt, Should The Struggle Continue? (480 Views)

B.Pharmacy Or Bsc Nursing? / Your Opinion! Bsc Computer Science Or Bsc Computer Education. / B.EMT Or B.sc Emt...should The Struggle Continue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

B.EMT Or Bsc.emt, Should The Struggle Continue? by lightrays: 10:59am On Apr 28, 2017
So, I have been an ardent reader of the nairaland forum for over six years now, but don’t have an active ID/Moniker. I am addicted to nairaland, the humour, truth and constructive criticisms have helped shaped my thinking and has given me a kind of exposure and versatility in knowledge over time, one that is Lacking in every classroom. Thumbs up to Seun and others.

over to the reason for this thread

I am a fifth year student of Environmental management and toxicology in one of our Nigerian Universities, will be graduating as the pioneers of the department in less than four months.
Now here is the issue:
Midway into our program (third year or so), we were told that upon graduation, we would be awarded B.EMT certificate instead of B.Sc EMT, reason been that it’s a five year programme. But recently we received information that we would be awarded the traditional B.sc instead of B.EMT because the department is under the faculty of science.
Now the class is at a crossroad and we seem to have questions we can’t find answers to, we don’t know if we should accept the B.sc, or struggle for the earlier promised B.EMT, as there are speculations that the B.EMT is equivalent to a Masters degree. And to seek the opinion of the nairaland family, I have brought this here
Please house, your intelligent answers to the questions below and constructive advice are needed
• What are the advantages of the B.EMT over the B.Sc?
• Should we continue the struggle for B.Emt or drop it and why?
• There is a suggestion that we should write a letter to the VC through all observable protocols requesting that our certificates shouldn’t be prepared until our own faculty has been created, and we can use our transcripts to look for job and do other things. What do you think about this? Do you think we should wait? What are the possible outcomes of the wait?
Re: B.EMT Or Bsc.emt, Should The Struggle Continue? by yak(m): 11:25am On Apr 28, 2017
lightrays:
So, I have been an ardent reader of the nairaland forum for over six years now, but don’t have an active ID/Moniker. I am addicted to nairaland, the humour, truth and constructive criticisms have helped shaped my thinking and has given me a kind of exposure and versatility in knowledge over time, one that is Lacking in every classroom. Thumbs up to Seun and others.

I am a fifth year student of Environmental management and toxicology in one of our Nigerian Universities, will be graduating as the pioneers of the department in less than four months.
Now here is the issue:
Midway into our program (third year or so), we were told that upon graduation, we would be awarded B.EMT certificate instead of B.Sc EMT, reason been that it’s a five year programme. But recently we received information that we would be awarded the traditional B.sc instead of B.EMT because the department is under the faculty of science.
Now the class is at a crossroad and we seem to have questions we can’t find answers to, we don’t know if we should accept the B.sc, or struggle for the earlier promised B.EMT, as there are speculations that the B.EMT is equivalent to a Masters degree. And to seek the opinion of the nairaland family, I have brought this here
Please house, your intelligent answers to the questions below and constructive advice are needed
• There is a suggestion that we should write a letter to the VC through all observable protocols requesting that our certificates shouldn’t be prepared until our own faculty has been created, and we can use our transcripts to look for job and do other things. What do you think about this? Do you think we should wait? What are the possible outcomes of the wait?

B.EMT can't b equivalent to masters. it is Bachelor of Environmental Management. the only thing is that it sounds professional than a B.Sc... I will come back to update if I get further information
Re: B.EMT Or Bsc.emt, Should The Struggle Continue? by lightrays: 11:36am On Apr 28, 2017
yak:

B.EMT can't b equivalent to masters. it is Bachelor of Environmental Management. the only thing is that it sounds professional than a B.Sc... I will come back to update if I get further information

OK! will be waiting.
Re: B.EMT Or Bsc.emt, Should The Struggle Continue? by plenty9316(m): 11:43am On Apr 28, 2017
Honestly, it is a pathetic situation.

Pls answer this qs ,
what were u guys admitted for,
what were ur predecessors awarded?
When these qs are clearly catered for, we may have a headway. But for me, i think
its better u request to stick to what was on ground initially, i mean, if u were expected to graduate with B.Sc.(EMT). This would make sense but just experimenting with ur set may not be palatable.
A question that need to be answered is if the University senate is aware and had delibrated, accepted and passed the bill on the new degree. If it had been passed, it is not mandatory on ur set to accept except otherwise u want, it will only take effect from the new entry while d decision is taken.
My brother, just relax and channel ur complaint to the appropraite quarters as im sure, the University wont act stupid to jeopardise una lifes. And pls, be wise as u do.
I opine u stick to the old degree award BSc.EMT rather than create unneccessary confusion.
Re: B.EMT Or Bsc.emt, Should The Struggle Continue? by lightrays: 11:59am On Apr 28, 2017
plenty9316:
Honestly, it is a pathetic situation.

Pls answer this qs ,
what were u guys admitted for,
what were ur predecessors awarded?
When these qs are clearly catered for, we may have a headway. But for me, i think
its better u request to stick to what was on ground initially, i mean, if u were expected to graduate with B.Sc.(EMT). This would make sense but just experimenting with ur set may not be palatable.
A question that need to be answered is if the University senate is aware and had delibrated, accepted and passed the bill on the new degree. If it had been passed, it is not mandatory on ur set to accept except otherwise u want, it will only take effect from the new entry while d decision is taken.
My brother, just relax and channel ur complaint to the appropraite quarters as im sure, the University wont act stupid to jeopardise una lifes. And pls, be wise as u do.
I opine u stick to the old degree award BSc.EMT rather than create unneccessary confusion.

we were admitted for B.Sc EMt, and we are the pioneers of the department.. (the first set to graduate.)
uuhm! by the way, I am female.
Re: B.EMT Or Bsc.emt, Should The Struggle Continue? by vaxx: 1:28pm On Apr 28, 2017
lightrays:

Now here is the issue:
first of all. your undergraduate degree can not equate master. a master degree will contain nothing less than 120 pages in thesis writting. so back to your question. B EMT OR BSC EMT. which is better. agree both are all under the same convene. they are equal but not similar. the former require intense pratical alongside research while the later is much liberal and research focus. at the end of the day both will be given the same recognition. my question. which mode of instruction do you follow? the former or the later. if it is the former then stick to it. if it is the later. end up with the progam and face nigeria ballon labour market.. well your admission letter is enough evidence in the court of law if you are much interested to seek for redress.
Re: B.EMT Or Bsc.emt, Should The Struggle Continue? by plenty9316(m): 3:21pm On Apr 28, 2017
lightrays:

we were admitted for B.Sc EMt, and we are the pioneers of the department.. (the first set to graduate.)
uuhm! by the way, I am female.

hence, its better u stick to that. If the senate had updated its degree to whatever, ur set cant/ shouldnt be included.
Just get the approriate office awared that u cant stand to be tossed like coin, u stick to ur guns and let d new sets be awarded the new format.
Sis, dont front the struggle. Ogas at d top may be watching

(1) (Reply)

Latest Info On FSB 2016/2017 / The Correction Of JAMB UTME Subjects Combination Re-opens And Closes Friday / Important NEWS! Jamb Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.