Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) (2285 Views)

This Tiny Car For Wheelchair Users Costs 9 Million Naira / Toyota Camry 1996 Does Not Exceed 80km/hr / Toyota Camry 2.2 Vibrating At 80KM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by BOLAUWA: 1:55pm On Apr 29, 2017
Greetings gurus. Pls recently my car (toyota camry pencil light automatic) broke down and refused to move. On putting it on drive or reverse, it makes a clanking sound. my mechanic said it was the gearbox, which I changed immediately. But after changing the gearbox, I have noticed the car refuses to accelerate beyond 80km /hr. I was told to clean d gearbox filter which I have done bt no improvement. Wat could be the problem? Ur advice really needed.
Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by engineerpatrick: 2:25pm On Apr 29, 2017
i can repair it
Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by DrWellbeing: 2:29pm On Apr 29, 2017
Try to check the fuel pump also have you changed the gear and engine oil. If it didn't change then let me know. it happened to my oen camry pencil just of a recent and when 8 changed the engine and gear oil and fuel pump,there's a change.
Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by iykedancastro(m): 3:09pm On Apr 29, 2017
its more like a fuel line issue, change the fuel pump.
Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:21pm On Apr 29, 2017
BOLAUWA:
Greetings gurus. Pls recently my car (toyota camry pencil light automatic) broke down and refused to move. On putting it on drive or reverse, it makes a clanking sound. my mechanic said it was the gearbox, which I changed immediately. But after changing the gearbox, I have noticed the car refuses to accelerate beyond 80km /hr. I was told to clean d gearbox filter which I have done bt no improvement. Wat could be the problem? Ur advice really needed.

your query is very vague. The engine gives power to the transmission which moves the car. Try and relate what the issue is, is it a lack of power from the engine? Wrong gear ratios form the transmission? Slipping from the friction plates?
Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by boldx(m): 3:25pm On Apr 29, 2017
If you are in Abuja, call me for a car scan. 08034533668. You can't continue with your guess work.
Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by honmusa(m): 4:55pm On Apr 29, 2017
BOLAUWA:
Try to isolate the issue btw engine and transmission. Put the gear at neutral and try to see if you can rev the car to almost 6000 .

1 Like

Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by BOLAUWA: 8:25pm On Apr 29, 2017
honmusa:

Try to isolate the issue btw engine and transmission. Put the gear at neutral and try to see if you can rev the car to almost 6000 .
Thanks a lot gurus. I have revved the car in park position, and I almost hit 6000 rpm. I think the issue is from the transmission,as a friend also suggested. The engine is working really well. More contributions are welcome
Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:26pm On Apr 29, 2017
BOLAUWA:

Thanks a lot gurus. I have revved the car in park position, and I almost hit 6000 rpm. I think the issue is from the transmission,as a friend also suggested. The engine is working really well. More contributions are welcome

replace transmission

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by BOLAUWA: 8:33pm On Apr 29, 2017
DrWellbeing:
Try to check the fuel pump also have you changed the gear and engine oil. If it didn't change then let me know. it happened to my oen camry pencil just of a recent and when 8 changed the engine and gear oil and fuel pump,there's a change.
Thanks boss. I have changed the gearbox oil and even the gearbox filter, but no improvement.I will change the fuel pump as suggested. Thanks boss.
Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:40pm On Apr 29, 2017
BOLAUWA:

BOLAUWA:

Thanks boss. I have changed the gearbox oil and even the gearbox filter, but no improvement.I will change the fuel pump as suggested. Thanks boss.

Don't allow us confuse you.
Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by honmusa(m): 9:17pm On Apr 29, 2017
BOLAUWA:

This one that you want to start throwing part at issue ,If you are in Lagos ,bring it to my workshop @ Gbagada on Monday ,I shd be able to spare some minutes to help you diagnose this issue .call my no @ my signature
Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by timifakay(m): 10:32pm On Apr 29, 2017
BOLAUWA:
Here is my observation from your post:
1. You have a car, one it broke down and stopped moving. When put in reverse or drive it would make a sound but won't move.
2. This made you replace the transmission and it started moving but won't go beyond 80kmph.
3. You then changed the transmission oil and filter in the new gearbox but there was no improvement.

Since the car started moving after gearbox replacement it is safe to assume the old gearbox got spoilt. (Were there any signs it was dying such as jerking or delay while changing gears?).
I will assume the replacement is a used/ Tokunbo and two things are involved it is either not a perfect fit for the engine or faulty and dying out as well.
So I think you still need to replace your transmission if that's the case.
Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by AutoElectNG: 10:42pm On Apr 29, 2017
BOLAUWA:

Bad old transmission

Bad replacement transmission albeit not as bad as the former

The 8th poster/12th poster told you the remedy

Guess this is your first case of a transmission dying!

It seems pretty clear from your inability to decode what's going on
Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by AutoElectNG: 10:44pm On Apr 29, 2017
BOLAUWA:

I want to be very polite but I nearly burst into laughter

There is no correlation between your symptoms and your proposed solution

Save your money for another transmission - advice from one man to another man!

2 Likes

Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by AutoElectNG: 10:46pm On Apr 29, 2017
honmusa:

This one that you want to start throwing part at issue ,If you are in Lagos ,bring it to my workshop @ Gbagada on Monday ,I shd be able to spare some minutes to help you diagnose this issue .call my no @ my signature

You have got offers to get the vehicle inspected by someone more knowledgeable than those you have so far patronized

Why not take up the offer?
Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by AutoElectNG: 10:46pm On Apr 29, 2017
Not a perfect analogy, but will serve nonetheless

Your situation is akin to someone whose brain has commanded him to walk but his two legs have been tired together and so despite the command to work, nothing happens and nothing will happen, or his legs are partially free but tied to each other with a chain thereby allowing movement but restricting movement (maximum speed of 80km/hr)

Brain = engine

Legs = Transmission

Replace Transmission,

The current replacement transmission is faulty. I would not drive around in a transmission that cannot utilize the full range of engine power, only capable of doing 80km/hr!

Don't even risk traveling to a faraway part of the same town with your ride in its current form.

You would be stranded in no time!

Listen to the voice of wisdom above from the 8th and 12th posters
Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by BOLAUWA: 5:45am On Apr 30, 2017
timifakay:

Here is my observation from your post:
1. You have a car, one it broke down and stopped moving. When put in reverse or drive it would make a sound but won't move.
2. This made you replace the transmission and it started moving but won't go beyond 80kmph.
3. You then changed the transmission oil and filter in the new gearbox but there was no improvement.

Since the car started moving after gearbox replacement it is safe to assume the old gearbox got spoilt. (Were there any signs it was dying such as jerking or delay while changing gears?).
I will assume the replacement is a used/ Tokunbo and two things are involved it is either not a perfect fit for the engine or faulty and dying out as well.
So I think you still need to replace your transmission if that's the case.
Thanks a lot. Yes, there was a "whirring" sound in gear two before the first gear box broke down. Like the other guru said, dis is my first tym of having gear box issue. I will do as u have said, by changing the transmission again. Thanks a lot

1 Like

Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by BOLAUWA: 5:47am On Apr 30, 2017
AutoElectNG:
Not a perfect analogy, but will serve nonetheless

Your situation is akin to someone whose brain has commanded him to walk but his two legs have been tired together and so despite the command to work, nothing happens and nothing will happen, or his legs are partially free but tied to each other with a chain thereby allowing movement but restricting movement (maximum speed of 80km/hr)

Brain = engine

Legs = Transmission

Replace Transmission,

The current replacement transmission is faulty. I would not drive around in a transmission that cannot utilize the full range of engine power, only capable of doing 80km/hr!

Don't even risk traveling to a faraway part of the same town with your ride in its current form.

You would be stranded in no time!

Listen to the voice of wisdom above from the 8th and 12th posters
Hmmm, thank you very much. Ur analogy is clear. I shall do d needful
Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by Nobody: 1:18pm On Apr 30, 2017
OP, before you dole out heavy cash for the replacement transmission, check your fuel supply.

I had a similar issue with a car not accelerating beyond 80km/hr. After replacing the fuel pump and filter the problem stopped.

It may be your fuel pump is shot, if so you are lucky just replace it. If that's not the case you can keep the new fuel pump and filter as spare cos you will need it eventually.

Before you replace that transmission, let your mechanic inspect for frayed cables and loose connections (I'm no mech but I know the importance). You may need to scan the ECU to be sure engine and transmission are communicating fine.

Summary: Check fuel system before attacking the transmission
Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by AutoElectNG: 3:07pm On Apr 30, 2017
noxide:
OP, before you dole out heavy cash for the replacement transmission, check your fuel supply.

I had a similar issue with a car not accelerating beyond 80km/hr. After replacing the fuel pump and filter the problem stopped.

It may be your fuel pump is shot, if so you are lucky just replace it. If that's not the case you can keep the new fuel pump and filter as spare cos you will need it eventually.

Before you replace that transmission, let your mechanic inspect for frayed cables and loose connections (I'm no mech but I know the importance). You may need to scan the ECU to be sure engine and transmission are communicating fine.

Summary: Check fuel system before attacking the transmission

The chains could be mechanical or electrical. Very True. Shorts and opens aka frayed cables and loose connections

You may need to scan the ECU to be sure engine and transmission are communicating fine. No mention of the above up there.

Get professional help
Re: My Car Refusing To Accelerate Beyond 80km/hr (camry Tiny Light) by Waladade4luv(m): 11:00am On May 01, 2017
That is automatic speed limiter na, no.need to buy road safety own again

(1) (Reply)

let's discuss Tank Ventilation System / Police Arrested Me For Typo Error On My Car Papers / Clean Volkswagen Touareg Suv SOLD SOLD SOLD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.